Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Keilun

Real Name Keilun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Keilun
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 30, 2002, 00:02
Total Comments 131 (Novice)
User ID 14964

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Beta Event Next Weekend
3. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Beta Event Next Weekend Jul 31, 2015, 18:29 Keilun

Same. I've had I think 1yr of inactivity and I didn't get banned. It seems more likely that you had no authenticator on your account and your account was hacked and thereby banned. And just this week they added SMS authentication if that's up your alley.

Getting back on topic. My main beef with this game is its horribly broken reward system. The endgame is pretty uninspiring. That's all kind of hidden with the plethora of things you can do. The only problem is no matter what you do, in order to be rewarded with anything of consequence requires you to either be extremely lucky or dedicated. Even guaranteed rewards from achievements are grindy as hell (basically redo the same event over and over with different challenges).

I've been holding out on pre-purchasing the xpack for pretty much that reason. That and they haven't exactly revealed much. We know of 4 elite spec weapons, high level view of masteries and a few vertical zones. I'm still waiting for the big reveal of a revamp to the reward structure that will interest me again.

That said, I can always hop back in again without the worry of sub fees so that's a plus and perhaps the only reason I keep revisiting the game now and then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer
9. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 00:53 Keilun

Vall Forran wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 20:27:
Rome 2 was so horrible that I cannot fathom spending money on this game for a long, long time.

I've tried both Medieval 2, Napoleon and Shogun 2 and each time I played it, I didn't enjoy it. I think a lot of it was that I ran into a lot of bugs especially in Shogun 2. But the games get glowing reviews so there's clearly another audience out there that this is catered to and maybe I just don't fit into that category.

I do like Warhammer though. Too bad it's in a TW game.

News Comments > No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall?
5. Re: No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall? Jul 16, 2015, 10:15 Keilun

The title says Fall, but the actual linked article and email says Spring.

That's a long way out.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
23. Re: Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 14:36 Keilun

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 13:40:
There is a difference between this and, say, Steam offering a bundle though. Using Borderlands GOTY edition as an example, it's on sale as a whole but that sale also applies to the individual DLC titles released for it whereas GW2 is being hardbundled in to an expansion which is likely affecting the base price with no way of separating the two.

Yes and no. The individual DLC titles are on sale, but at a higher price point compared to the bundle pricing such that often times it's cheaper to buy the bundle than the individual DLC titles even if you already own the base game.

Skyrim has been notorious for this. I know only because I've been looking for this. When the Legendary Skyrim goes on sale, it goes for 50% off which sets it to $15. However for whatever reason, the individual DLC that is packaged with it is only 33% off so that if I wanted to buy all the DLC it would still cost me $25. And on principle, I didn't buy either because it felt like I was buying the base game all over again.

I think that if anything having the DLC sold individually still at a higher price than the bundle makes it worse. At least in this case, the base game just isn't available as an SKU anymore which makes it less blatant.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2015, 14:41.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
9. Re: Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 13:28 Keilun

The backlash is interesting because it has happened in the past with the GW2 community in fact (with the Digital Deluxe edition).

That particular issue went as follows:
1. Digital Deluxe edition was offered at $75 at GW2 release.
2. A year later, the Digital Deluxe edition was reduced in price to $50 and offered a number of other bonuses (free skin and some gems I believe).
3. These new items were only available to new purchasers of the Digital Deluxe edition, not those who purchased it previously.
4. Enter backlash.

It's interesting because this practice of bundling and reducing prices is common in the gaming industry. I mean just look at any digital storefront sales (eg. Steam, GMG, GOG, etc.). But there is no backlash when things go on sale, even though people who bought early paid more for the same thing.

The difference in this case is that they're not changing an existing product, rather they're just bundling the base game with the expansion. And that leaves the sentiment that they're purchasing the base game again, but it would be no different than expansion pack bundles that you'd see on Steam (like Borderlands Gold edition).

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Closed Beta Tomorrow
1. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Closed Beta Tomorrow Jun 2, 2015, 18:37 Keilun

The setback wasn't undisclosed. It just didn't get much media attention when it was announced on their site:

https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/important-information-beta-delay

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Closed Beta Next Week
2. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Closed Beta Next Week May 21, 2015, 21:31 Keilun

The Conflux DRM was a stupid decision and poorly implemented, though I fault that more on Uplay as a whole than anything else.

The lack of town screens initially was a drag. It's hard to understand how they thought town screens were a small enough part of the experience that they could cut it, but they put them in after all the complaints.

The infamous NVIDIA black screen bug is still present. I can't believe they simply dropped support without fixing that one. If you look at the Steam forums, that particular issue is found in a majority of threads.

Lastly, the lack of simultaneous MP turns always baffles me. It was a much requested feature in 5 and made its way in late in the game (somewhat). There's now a community mod patch that enables it fully, but in 6 it's just not present.

At the end of the day, I still had a lot of fun playing 6, simply because the races/units were quite fun to play with. My only hope is that Ubisoft learns from the above mistakes. Ubisoft seems to give each new release to a new developer so I'm hopeful they'll go back to the roots. I've always enjoyed the franchise.

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Three on PC; Celebrates With Console Buffs
6. Re: Diablo III Turns Three on PC; Celebrates With Console Buffs May 15, 2015, 10:18 Keilun

I haven't encountered this yet, but I think this is the PC anniversary "buff":

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19083832/debunking-the-cowspiracy-5-14-2015

Word on the forums is that a cow goblin opens this portal where XP and loot bonuses are tripled and there are many many chests.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Modding Clarified
6. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Modding Clarified May 7, 2015, 21:31 Keilun

PHJF wrote on May 7, 2015, 19:35:
Our primary focus is on protecting GTA Online against modifications that could give players an unfair advantage, disrupt gameplay, or cause griefing.

Every time I tried GTAO I found it solely populated by disruptive and/or griefing players. The heists implementation was beyond fucking awful.

This. The matchmaking is poorly implemented.

If you're a solo player that just wants to join a heist, it's usually not a huge issue to find a heist but you usually wind up in a half filled heist lobby and have to sit and wait for it to fill up which can take a while for reasons explained later.

If you're a group of 2 or 3 players looking to find a match, you're out of luck unless you host it yourself. But then you and your friends are stuck in a lobby for 30+min waiting for someone to join and unable to do anything while waiting. It's pretty hilariously bad.

On top of that, for whatever fucking reason, they require that the heist leader put up front money and gives the leader control over the payout distribution amongst the players, which only leads to an incredible amount of bickering at the end. People leave because by default the heist leader gets a larger payout (which is default and should be the case since they put up the initial money and didn't get payouts for the setup missions). Or some heist leaders increase their payout to ridiculous proportions. It's like a giant social experiment. In any case, it makes public heists a laughable exercise in waiting in lobbies for hours to complete a single heist.

This should have all been predictable behavior and they could have curbed that in many different ways (eg.equal payouts and no initial cost to the heist, allowing AI to take over for players that leave, etc).

So far I can't play heists because I'm there to play with my friend and the few times we've tried to host a heist, we've wound up sitting there twiddling our thumbs for 30min each time before we gave up. I'm really hoping they work on this system to make them playable. So far it's been a huge disappointment.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 2, 2015, 13:04 Keilun

Axis wrote on May 2, 2015, 11:59:
Prices haven't changed for me for the last 15 years. I build a high end system for $800-$1000 every 4-5 years, biding my time on deals and pcpartpicker till I get what I want for the price I want.

Everyone else probably if they aren't thoughtful about expensive purchases.

The article's reasoning for predicting a price increase is due to currency fluctuations (those economies that are weak to the US dollar). I don't see how that's exactly specific to PC prices though. In Canada, I've already felt the effect of the weakening CAD against the USD for other goods.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Announcement
7. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Announcement Apr 27, 2015, 11:57 Keilun

Parias wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 11:38:
It sounds like they're FINALLY trying proper campaign co-op with this one though, so I'm intrigued.

This. I basically only play co-op games these days but the choices and moreover their implementations leave a lot to be desired. Perhaps I'm a minority audience (as many devs would have me believe).

My only concern here is that the SP campaigns in CoD games has been mixed and typically short. I actually picked up CoD:Ghost for cheap on a Steam sale and enjoyed the campaign but I must have finished it in 3 hrs. I think the most fun I've had in a coop shooter was Splinter Cell: Conviction which had its own separate coop campaign which lasted me closer to 10-12 hrs.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2015, 10:16 Keilun

On the topic of GTA Online, looking at the heists, it looks like apart from one, they're all 4 player heists. Is there enough online content for just 2 players for those of us that want to remain secluded from public matching? Excluding the "make your own fun" type of content.  

News Comments > Diablo III Trial Changes Contemplated
3. Re: Diablo III Trial Changes Contemplated Apr 13, 2015, 11:12 Keilun

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 11:06:
What they considered as a solution to the Trials-related issue won't actually resolve the problem at hand. Getting trial keys isn't hard, you can take a handful of minutes to go clear a Rift and you'll get one and most folks have many kicking around in their bank from chaining Rifts to get gear. The problem is the Trials grind where groups and players who are capable of hitting high rifts have to go through the process of leveling each trials key they have separately.

Think of it as buying food with nothing but nickles. The act of paying takes longer than enjoying what you paid for and once it's done, you have to do it all over again!

A solid solution was provided a long time ago: Instead of going through the typical bullshit of progression for each trial, work in a system which saves your best trial and allow you to pick up from there with new keystones. Unfortunately, everything with this development team is an uphill battle.

Yep, that's basically it. I don't see why they're dragging their heels on this. I don't exactly see what the issue is with allowing people to pick up where they left off and turn your trial keystones into your best grift completed. Maybe there's a technical issue? But really I feel like they're trying to find some other design to fit the grift entrance gating, which I don't understand since the progression of taking your best grift key seems sound to me.

Then again this is the D3 design team who I can't say I have must trust in, particularly after the 2.2 PTR debacle.

News Comments > Star Control Reboot FAQ
3. Re: Star Control Reboot FAQ Apr 8, 2015, 11:40 Keilun

It sounds like they're keeping the same adventure style game. I think they're just saying they're going to make the game moddable such that you could create your own star cluster along with its own set of stories and aliens to discover with your Precusor mothership.

It sounds ambitious. The fact that they don't have access to the original aliens leaves pretty big shoes to fill. And I'll be honest, I haven't been particularly fond of anything Stardock has put out in the past, so fingers crossed.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
6. Re: Diablo III Patched Apr 7, 2015, 23:29 Keilun

AngelicPenguin wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 22:36:
I dunno - I think they nerfed IK horribly by removing Mortick's. Last minute with no notice either - sheesh.

Yeah it kinda defeats the purpose of the whole PTR process if they're just going to sneak in last minute changes like that.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Beta Returns; Splash Damage Pulls Away from the Brink
6. Re: Dirty Bomb Beta Returns; Splash Damage Pulls Away from the Brink Mar 27, 2015, 10:32 Keilun

Yeah my gf and I had fun in Brink as well. The problem we had was that the amount of content in the game was too small. The story was short and the number of maps quite limited.

We basically played it during a free weekend well after all the launch issues were sorted. We started playing on a Friday night and finished the whole game and multiplayer on the Saturday night. At that point we were already feeling the game's lack of content and design issues (choke points).

So even though the game was down to $10, we felt like we played out everything the game would have had to offer in those 24 hrs. We kept an eye out for patches/expansions but they never came. There wasn't any further support to the game that we saw after that weekend which was a shame. Had they continued to support it and add in more content, we surely would have bought it.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Postmortem
44. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 17:58 Keilun

Here:

http://www.diabloprogress.com/class.barbarian

GRift Solo leaderboards for barbarians.
HC tops out at 44
SC tops out at 51

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Postmortem
38. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 15:41 Keilun

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:01:
...or quit. I've pretty much run out of juice at this point because the builds I like aren't considered optimal like my Triple Tornado WW Barbarian or the always entertaining Grinning Reaver WD which struggle.

2.2 looks like happy days for WW barbs though. That Skull Grasp and new IK Set for perma fury and WotB should make for fun times.

I still don't think it'll make them desirable at the competitive high end GRs, but I don't particularly care about that. I just like to mess around with builds.

News Comments > EA Closing Maxis?
6. Re: EA Closing Maxis? Mar 4, 2015, 16:34 Keilun

Well there goes my hope for a proper SimCity sequel this year, not that SimCity 2013 gave me much to hope for going forward.

Hopefully Cities:Skylines can scratch my city building itch.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 15:30 Keilun

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 11:55:
It's black and blue. However, someone pointed out something interesting that it could be people's monitors affecting this - colour temp, viewing angle, etc. However, color blind people will see it as light-bluish white and goldish-brown.

In fact here's a quick color blind test for you all. I scored perfect meaning I'm not colour blind. And when you hover over the colour wheel you can see why colour blind people would see it as such.

Color Blindness Test

I scored perfect on that test too and I see the original image as white and gold and the later image as blue and black. So uh yeah, what does that tell you?

131 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo