Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Keilun

Real Name Keilun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Keilun
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 30, 2002, 00:02
Total Comments 97 (Suspect)
User ID 14964

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Merry Naxxramas
25. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 24, 2014, 15:14 Keilun

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:46:
The land thing was always one of these things house rules fixed where I played back then.. heh, that's probably now more than 5 years ago... but we never enforced the mulligan rules of tournament. you could reroll all cards with no restrictions if you didn't roll a land or gate, or whatever But only until you had a land. (so yeah, we forced you to start with a deck made of only land if you had THAT kind of luck ,p) Seen that too.. heh

I don't really know why, but in Hearthstone with the low combination counts that a class gives you, you end up feeling like you don't ever really have control or a fully working strategy. I always lack 2 or 3 cards to really build a good synergetic deck (and I don't mean a hunter-wild-animals zoo or warlock murlock of doom). And most of the time my counters to things are only ever turning up in situations where I don't need them (probably because there are so few friggin counters to anything in HS, secrets are such a thing.. argh!) Only 1 counter in HS against secrets or shrouded creatures.. that is just.. nonsense..

This is why every year I hope MTG comes out with a PROPER game for PC where the battles don't feel so archaic and unepic (yes.. it's just cards doing damage numbers to other cards, but HS at least gets *that* right) attacks feel heavy, and spells look cool.

Yeah I hear you on that. Flare is the only card with a real counter secrets and stealth and it's class specific. I guess any AoE is technically a counter to stealth too, but not specifically to the stealth effect but rather to the creature directly. I'm hoping they expand on the range of effects and counters in HS. I think they definitely have a good start. If we looked at MTG in the early days they had their fair share of similar problems.

I'd love MTG to come out with a PC game that was essentially HS's framework with MTG's rich ruleset. Unfortunately I have zero faith in them doing so. They're so set in their ways so as to not cannibalize their current market, that they'll likely never adopt a similar F2P model as HS. The Duels of the Planeswalkers are too limited to let you build the range of decks you could in MTGO. And then MTGO is just plain too expensive. Maybe one day they'll hire someone to shake up that mindset and enter the digital age properly.

Their archaic approach to the digital world isn't even restricted to MTG. WotC's approach to D&D is just as problematic. Don't want to squander our D&D book market so we'll refrain from releasing our books digitally or you know innovate with tools that can help PCs and DMs on tablets... But I'm getting off topic now. It just frustrates me that they could be doing so much more with their licenses.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 17:12 Keilun

Sorry yeah I know what Dredge is. I just thought all the hate was reserved for land destruction decks. But I did get my fair share of hate from blue control decks too. I didn't mind dredge decks too much. But maybe that's because when they were popular I had lots of graveyard removal/exile combos to counter them.

I think maybe MTG seems less RNG dependent because there are so many different strategies to go with. But I've had my fair share of MTG games where I had zero land in all 6 mulligans. Really going past 2-3 mulligans and you might as well forfeit anyway. I more or less equate that to the RNG of getting all big fatties in your Hearthstone hand or cards that you don't necessarily want to play in your first 3 turns. I'm sure the smaller HS deck/hand size contribute to RNG feeling. I did love making giant decks in MTG though for the added surprise in every game (kind of like singleton decks, but with extra variance). I can only hope Hearthstone looks at adding new game modes along those lines.

21. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 15:09 Keilun

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 12:29:
Oh? And Dredge decks don't make you feel bad?

I thought that title was reserved for land removal decks. I was chewed out enough on MTGO when I ran those puppies. So much hate. And yes I'm a horrible person.

News Comments > WildStar Sabotage Announced
5. Re: WildStar Sabotage Announced Jul 23, 2014, 11:23 Keilun

I've been playing this since closed beta, mostly because my SO is quite enamored with this game, but there was one review that summarized this one quite nicely. Paraphrasing:

If WoW is known for "stay out of the fire", then Wildstar is "stay out of the fire" EXTREME EDITION.

Questing is quite the bore. There is nothing new here. It's just as boring as in vanilla WoW, so much so, that the only way I'm willing to level is through PvP. Even there, I'm wondering if the game has enough to last. There's only 2 BGs (soon to be 3), and even then probably 99% of my matches are in one BG. No one plays Halls of the Bloodsworn. Walatiki Temple is easily the more interesting BG. The sub-50 PvP brackets are so huge that the fights are often quite lopsided even with gear/level normalization.

Oh well, I feel like Wildstar hasn't done enough to separate itself from WoW. TERA had the right combat - but terrible gameplay. Wildstar kinda just has vanilla WoW with improved matchmaking (same as current WoW), with telegraph combat.

I'm hopeful they'll figure something out, but I'm not holding my breath.

15. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 10:20 Keilun

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 07:59:
Your strategy is based on pure random luck... I tried it, turn 1 she draws rush 2/3 and +1+1 for each death rattle, turn 2 she has combined attack power of 8, far beyond anything you can actually draw on the deck on turn 2. And other variations have been 3 of the guys that give her 3+ attack by turn 4.. yeah! Hero with 9 attack...

Yeah you probably need some luck here. If her hero power wiped my board after turn 2, it's over. Otherwise the strategy was just to build a snowballing minion to take care of everything and clear your hand asap.

It was the only way I could find a way to match her giant characters. By the end my berserker was something like 17-10. She would immediately wipe any other characters off my board. I was relieved that it only took me 2 tries. You absolutely must clear her worshippers. In one game she put out 4 of them in a row. That was gg. Those guys are worse than her hero power.

I'm sure someone will come up with a more consistent way of beating her. I didn't require too many tweaks from my standard warrior rush deck, since it worked on my 2nd try. I'd imagine I would be removing things the 3 and 4 drops for 1/2 drops for some hand clearing consistency.

A zoolock deck might work better with all the discard drops you can put in there.

[Edit]: Found this discussion on the HS forums that seems to have found some consistency with a decklist:

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/13507081260

Some of the posts there also won using similar snowball a minion strategy (with priest/druid/warrior). Seems the AI's not good at handling them. But they all admit some luck involved.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2014, 10:26.

13. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 04:41 Keilun

descender wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 23:52:
The heroic bosses are just insane.

If anyone was worried about "completing" this part of the content too quickly well... good luck. The first heroic boss summons a 4/4 for 2 mana on turn one, and then it gets worse from there.

I managed to beat all the heroic bosses. It definitely was a challenge and gets you thinking about deck combinations.

For Anubrekhan:
I went with a Paladin deck. I used a combination of Equality, Aldor Peacekeeper, Noble sacrifice to keep the 4/4's at bay. This likely involved a bit of luck on my end since he didnt' churn out a 4/4 on turn 1 (using the mana crystal from going 2nd). Instead he churned out a 1/2 deathrattle via the crystal. He also didn't have a lot of creature removal or silence so I was free to buff the crap out of my creatures with BoK and secure a win.

For Faerlina:
This one was probably the hardest matchup for me. I used a Warrior rush deck here. The key was to use low mana cost and empty your hand, same as when fighting her normal mode. Similarly, she didn't have anything in the way of creature removal short of her hero power. This one required a bit of luck in the draw, but I basically laid down the enrage creatures: amani berserker, raging worgen, frothing berserker (along with cruel taskmaster). Rampage helped a lot too since a lot of your minions will be damaged from her hero power. In my case I was lucky enough to not have my board cleared by the first hero power and I could then stack rampage on my berserkers.

For Maexxna:
She was a bit easier. Hunter deck. Explosive trap to help with her first two minions. Only run charge creatures (boar, bluegill, arcane sentry, leeroy). Unleash the hounds + timber wolves. I found that early game she'll load up the board with those spiders she starts with. In my game, she had 4 out by turn 2. I ultimately found it easier to leave them alone until turn 3. Then I put up my explosive trap and used it to clear her board and fill it up with 1/1s. This helped prevent her from dropping any larger creatures. Then Unleash the hounds + timber wolves, or any other charge creatures. It was still a close game by the end. I only had 5 life left.

I also found that when you have her board full of 1/1s, if you ensure that she only has enough out to damage you but not finish you off, she'll spend those 1/1s on any larger creatures (never your hounds) - where the tradeoff is larger (eg. 2x 1/1s for a 4/2). So you can use that to your advantage to draw some damage away from you. It should buy you enough time to finish her off.

It was definitely a lot of fun. Sure wish we had more than 9 deck slots so that I didn't have to waste my time restoring my ranked decks. Frequently editing the deck when playing Naxx was also annoying being 4 screens away but that's just a minor nitpick.

Class challenges were a lot of fun. I was hoping for more, but I guess each wing will unlock new class challenges. Looking forward to next week!

5. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 22, 2014, 20:28 Keilun

descender wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 19:25:
Anything is better than spending real money on MTG. Fuck that noise!

Agreed. Getting started with even a single competitive deck in MTG is prohibitively expensive. That's just one deck let alone others. I'll admit the number of decks you can create in MTG are more varied given the years of headstart they have. MTGO is even worse without bulk discounts.

I'm enjoying Hearthstone now and it's refreshing to be able to try out new decks and progress without the need to fork over your wallet and then some.

Yeah, definitely if you're patient then you can play Hearthstone entirely free - even Naxxramas. I've been just playing every 3 days getting my dailies done and I've managed to accumulate well over 5k gold. Now and then I'll spend some to buy packs to build new decks. I'm more than willing to wait and play. If I feel like supporting the game directly, I'll go ahead and spend real money on packs despite my hoard of gold. That choice is what makes it my goto card game.

I play ranked and arena. Ranked I don't play very seriously, but with a simple Warrior rush deck I can make it down to around rank 12 without any real difficulty. But I don't play often enough to really break past that. Usually the end of the month/season hits by then. Maybe sometime I'll spend more time on ranked.

Arena's a lot more luck based, but gives a more varied play without having to own all the cards. It's basically drafting and competing with others. It's good fun too.

I'm not sure how much longevity the game will have without the introduction of more game modes (Naxx is a good start), but it's definitely won me over with its business model. I probably would have been just as happy to pay for the game too given the number of hours I've gotten out of it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 11:43 Keilun

Dacron wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 11:36:
Agreed with everything but silencers. If you're going a stealth route, it's much safer to run/sneak up and melee opponents. Silencers can be heard through walls/ceilings and cause people to trip alarms.

Depends on the mission. For things where you're drawing a guard up a stairwell like in the bank heist, melee'ing him before he gets a shot off is tricky. That's one of the big challenges with stealth is risking being detected by a guard. If they get a shot off, it most definitely is not silenced and you're blown. So yeah definitely either sneak up and melee, or use a silenced pistol before they get a shot off.

I haven't personally had a silenced pistol detected before, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 11:28 Keilun

It's definitely your level. Without the required gear and skills, stealthing becomes a lot harder. For example, you'll most definitely need a silencer, so make sure you buy that asap. Skill wise, it's just more things to help make things easier (extra zip ties, body bags, ecm, etc.).

I've tended to find the bank heist a bit easier to stealth. We've tended to always keep someone on the outside watching for civvies that patrol the sidewalk. He needs to shout them down + zip tie, or kill them.

Then we sneak up to the roof and set up a loud drill on the power room door (watch out for cameras). The loud drill draws guards up the stairs. Kill them and bag them up. Then find the keycard either off the manager or on the manager's desk. Use it to open the security room on the bottom floor and kill the guard inside. Finally, charge into the bank and shout them all down + zip tie. You'll need to cover the teller area + the back office.

It's a lot easier to just kill the civvies than to watch over them if you don't have the zip ties. If you choose the kill route, you can kill the backoffice before you charge the teller area. This may not pay off well if you just do the regular bank heist map. But Firestarter day 3 uses the same map and Firestarter pays off really well - even if you just go the non stealth option. If you can stealth day 3 of Firestarter you get a ton of extra cash.

I prefer the bank heist to the Framing Frame one because that one you absolutely need to stealth day 3. Guns blazing is extra hard and annoying on day 3.

Btw, if you want to advance quickly, keep things ugly and don't be afraid to try hard or very hard difficulty as they increase your XP+cash gains significantly to get your early levels and guns. Some of the easier maps to run are:

Mallcrasher (no stealth)
Firestarter
Any "Transport" missions (no stealth)
Ukrainian job (might be easier to stealth this one if you can control the crowd and the pedestrians)

If you get C4, Ukrainian job becomes a 30s mission.

News Comments > Hearthstone Maintenance Now; Naxxramas Launches Later
2. Re: Hearthstone Maintenance Now; Naxxramas Launches Later Jul 22, 2014, 11:08 Keilun

Linksil wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 10:21:
This has got to be a joke. Or they're doing a non maintenance launch latter in the week? I mean there's only so much left in the month that you said it would be released in.

"another post clarifies that this maintenance will not conclude with the launch of the add-on, which will follow at some point later today"

Emphasis on the later today. Today is the release date. It's just saying that the actual launch of Naxx won't coincide with the conclusion of today's maintenance, instead it will automatically unlock later today.

News Comments > Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes
7. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 11:59 Keilun

It's not so much of a 4 vs 8 affix issue as it is an overvaluation of weapon sockets. A weapon socket is so valuable that any weapon without a socket is essentially garbage, that's why everyone rerolls a stat into a socket as is. Ramalandi's gift should help that, but the real issue is 1 weapon socket vs 2 weapon sockets.

I don't get why they don't just allow us to roll 2 sockets on a 2H and be done with it.

I haven't looked closely at legendary gems that much but I can only imagine this only exacerbates the issue.

News Comments > Hearthstone Expansion Next Week
8. Re: Hearthstone Expansion Next Week Jul 18, 2014, 11:52 Keilun

I'm excited to have new cards and game modes to play. I only wish they would consider adding new modes that aren't a solo affair. Two headed giant/dragon would be super fun and actually inspire some of my friends to come back and play.

Or alternately an arena duel mode, where you play against your friend. It doesn't have to reward anything. It'd just be a whole lot more interesting than playing the same person with the same decks. This probably belongs on their forums more than this thread. Anyway, looking forward to the new content.

News Comments > Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent
6. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 10:14 Keilun

Verno wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:34:
Awesome, I love the new rates.

Last night I got Lut Socks, IK helm, IK 2H, Pull of Earth, Cindercoat x2, Pride of Cassius, Sun Keeper and a bunch of other stuff. As someone else put it, this game is totally feast or famine. In 2 hours last night I got more awesome drops than I did in 2 weeks prior, my Barb is almost BiS on everything now. Can't wait to get home tonight and try to rock some T6.

All of last week was famine for me, even with the buffed rates. There were several strings of 7 straight rifts with nothing. Meanwhile I watched my gf pull 9 legendaries a rift. Now I'm dead weight to her beast Wizard, but at least she puts up with me.

I really wish they'd work on that system that increases your legendary system based on how long it's been since your last drop. It seems like it only helps the absolute worst cases. 3 hours of bad luck can make the game a real drag - since the gameplay itself isn't particularly compelling.

Some new game modes might make it a bit more refreshing. Survival mode perhaps (a la Enfos)?

News Comments > Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent
5. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 10:09 Keilun

nin wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:06:
I'm assuming that doesn't include patterns? Wish it did, but still glad they're keeping the buff.

IIRC, the legendary pattern drop rate was separate to actual item drop rates. Patch 2.0.5 specifically buffed pattern drop rates. I'm practically showering in them since the patch on both SC and HC. It's slowing down now that I have most of them though.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 13:51 Keilun

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 12:09:
The problem is that the megaserver in and of itself can't handle more people than the current setup can. So if you got into an overflow previously and were unlucky, you got into an empty zone. (Happened to me in LA several times, where we'd be standing at the clockwork knight with 1 minute until the start with 10 people...)

The megaserver is going to function exactly the same way. It will draw people from across all servers and put them into the same map, but then, if the map is full, it'll spawn another copy of the map (only this time they won't call it overflow anymore.)

Yes and no. Imagine for a second that we have per-homeworld overflows and all the overflows were only 1/4 full. What the megaserver allows now is that all of those overflows that were previously 1/4 full can be combined thereby reducing the number of empty overflows. Removing the artificial restriction of only people from a given homeworld can populate this overflow should allow for more populated overflows. At least that's how I understand it.

So yes there will still be some overflows that appear empty, but it should be a lot less than it was before when overflows were homeworld specific. I think this is better than merging former homeworlds because of that fact that you have a larger pool of players to select to merge into the same zone. The whole concept of a homeworld is an artificial limitation that doesn't lead to the best load balancing strategy.

Other scenarios are a zone that's generally dead world-wide. At the very least the few players that do play in that zone will have more company than before rather than multiple copies of that same zone with barely anyone in them. I think that table on this page was a good example of how it should generally increase population throughout all zones simply because of the fact that the number of empty duplicates is reduced.

It'll probably take a while to see if it really does work out that way as they're still rolling it out to all the zones. I'm hopeful anyway. It was pretty depressing to see so many empty zones when leveling.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 12:01 Keilun

I think the distinction from the megaserver and overflow is that the megaserver zones can draw from people from all servers as opposed to just your homeworld. It should help with a lot of the underpopulated servers like mine (GoM) where an overflow message was synonymous with "empty zone".

I'm hopeful that the end result is that it is a seamless transition where all zones appear quite vibrant and avoid the ghost towns that we had previously, but to be perfectly honest I've been off of GW2 for a while now.

It still has many problems that continue to fail to interest me. Boss zergs, repetitive living world content, uninspiring skills, etc. This feature pack definitely helped resolve some of my concerns with skins and account bound gear, but I'm still at a loss for things to do that are fun.

I'm high on D3 RoS right now, and the good thing with GW2 is I can always return later and see how things have progressed.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 00:32 Keilun

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:22:
Oh well, we'll see what happens. I wish Anet had guys as good at developing systems as they have guys who are good at developing content.

Completely agreed. My gf and I have stopped playing GW2 lately because of the poor systems. For me, I have the biggest beef with their living world, skill system, ascended gear and skins.

Living world has been pretty much a grind fest of achievements. It's okay the first time (if you manage a bug free experience, QA?), but after that, they want you to grind the same events at least 5 times over to receive your participation award. Most events ultimately wind up being the same zerg fest you see with the rest of the game, it's pretty uninspiring. I'll admit that the closest they've come to something entertaining was the clockwork puppet boss event in Lornar's Pass.

I've never been a fan of the same restrictive 5 skills per weapon. I'd like a bit more customization than having an offhand weapon set to swap to to open up new weapon skills. Some weapons are plain garbage which exacerbates the problem. Their proposed solution in dev right now? Open up class restriction on weapons... Not exactly the right solution...

Ascended gear has a huge problem too. With gear is so directly tied with your build and the sheer amount of grinding you need to do to get a full set of ascended, by the time you're able to purchase the gear you're left wondering "but what if I want to try this other build"? They have the solution sitting right in front of them (allow them to change stats on the fly), but they're intent on making that a Legendary only capability. They've already said that Legendaries should be purely cosmetic, but apparently that's thrown out of the window.

Lastly, skins. Jebus. I haven't bought a single skin because of this, but I have collected so many from events and such and I still haven't used a single one. Why? Because it's one-time use. If you want to apply it to another item, you have to use GEMS to remove the skin and apply it to another item. Skins should just simply unlock account wide. There's a reason skins aren't selling like hotcakes and I suspect that this is one of them.

The game could be so good it makes me so angry. Grrr. Here's to hoping Wildstar is what we've been looking for.

/endrant.

News Comments > WildStar in June
4. Re: WildStar in June Mar 12, 2014, 11:58 Keilun

Acleacius wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 11:50:
Wallshadows wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 11:47:
Awesome.
Really? I don't know what to think. At first I was interested but now I'm worried the game is aimed at sub-teens.

Does anyone know if it's monthly, buy once or F2P?

Monthly sub with the option to use in-game currency to purchase 30 days of game time (CREDD).

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/business-model/

News Comments > Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced
11. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced Feb 7, 2014, 14:41 Keilun

Loved the original. It was simple top down spaceship combat that reminded me of the old StarCon2 days. There were some balance issues which made the game repetitive by the end, but it was still excellent value.

I really hope that 'Local split screen coop' turns into 'online coop' through a DLC or Expansion. I'd love to play this online with friends.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Edge of the Mists Trailer
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Edge of the Mists Trailer Jan 29, 2014, 11:47 Keilun

Wildone wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 10:53:
Press 1,2,3,4 thats the gameplay basically..zzzzzz

If you're a ranger, just press 1 and have a nap.

97 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo