Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Da-Fly

Real Name Da-Fly   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description You've got city hands, Mr Hooper
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2002, 09:12
Total Comments 214 (Novice)
User ID 14952

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Kingpin Sequel Planned
20. Lets have it... Apr 15, 2004, 14:14 Da-Fly

Turn the f**k around!

YES!
Whoever devs this have GOT to keep it hardcore. Though I didn't have much time for the single player on the original, the multiplayer was gritty and gutsy. The weps were the best of any game imo, the no-holds-barred language was delivered with real panache, and all wrapped up with the Cypress Hill loops. Definitely an outstanding era of my gaming career.

Presumably Gray Matter are now under the Activision wing since RTCW - dunno if they'd be available. I just hope whoever does the work licenses a decent engine with quality netcode.
Don't make this one suck, please.

'Fuck you, Fuck!'

Shit - Hump beat me to the FUF, the rat fuck!

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 14:16.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GeForce 6 Announced
46. Shot their bolt? Apr 14, 2004, 15:06 Da-Fly

A card of this power is only really going to be necessary for next gen games I'd think. With that in mind is it poss they're releasing it now because they've had the nod from Carmack that D3 is about to go gold?

If not, they could be shooting their wad too early.

I bet a lot of people are holding off upgrading until D3/HL2 go gold and if that takes another 6 months (hahah!)then ATI will have a chance to develop a competitor. As it stands I think its unlikely ATI's upcoming card will come close to to the GF6800 - the performance jump is just soooo big.

On a personal note I agree with an earlier comment - looking forward to seeing the price of the current cards drop as a result hehehe

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Painkiller
29. Re: Cool! Apr 12, 2004, 18:02 Da-Fly

those that dig this game, and probably Serious Sam, are just simpletons.

Generalisation?
Its just different tastes for different people.
Also, it could be that someone who does mentally challenging work all day might just want to Rambo their way through a few maps when they get home.

Maybe all the people playing Serious Sam are actuaries and solicitors while those playing Far Cry (only played the demo - is it a thinker??) dig holes for a living. Heh.

News Comments > Hellforces Announced
9. Take it easy Apr 6, 2004, 13:03 Da-Fly

Cummon folks. Currently all I've read about this game is this press release, so I'm not going to suggest the game will be fantastic or better than anything else - but...
Buka is Russian, I believe, so this Press Release is going to be a translation. Admittedly, they could probably do with an English speaking copy editor, but give em a break.

I'll summarise:
Some sort of satan-related baddies will attack you in great numbers. You will be required to stop them all by shooting at them with lots of weapons. This will entail much violence. Their engine will use DX9 features, though sadly the multiplayer will be LAN only.

Actually that last part sucks fat ones.

News Comments > The Mod Squads
4. Re: KP2 Apr 4, 2004, 17:31 Da-Fly

Fairynuff [DS]Kingpin_Xatrix. I quite liked the KP2 mod work though - it added some fresh elements to the multiplayer game.
I was a big fan of KP multiplayer in its day so I'd like to see a new game with the same kinda theme. Still keeping my fingers crossed that Gray Matter will develop a turf war game using the Doom3 tech.
Good luck with the mod though.

News Comments > The Mod Squads
1. KP2 Apr 4, 2004, 16:07 Da-Fly

There was a mod called Kingpin2 released a long long time ago. Again it was just a mod of the original.

Sounds interesting for the fans, but would be great to see a Kingpin-style game done on newer tech. Maybe these guys should get in contact with the team behind Tenebrae for Quake and get some fancy lighting effects in. Couple that with the excellent Kingpin weaponry (and bad language) and that'd ooowwwwn.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
4. Re: Gore II Apr 4, 2004, 05:02 Da-Fly

...register, log in, see shots

To be honest I registered with rubbish information and it allowed me thru to the forum.

I'm so naughty!

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
1. Gore II Apr 3, 2004, 18:31 Da-Fly

Looks like they're developing this on a shoestring. Hopefully they'll keep it simple and concentrate on the positive points of the original Gore - Just multiplayer, and with their new engine. For those who remember, the original was slated due to slightly old tech and a crappy single player experience (that in actual fact was only addded as an afterthought). The netcode was excellent and the gameplay solid.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Gates and nearly free hardware... Mar 30, 2004, 16:50 Da-Fly

In regards to Intel dumping the Gigahertz rating on their chips. I don't see this as a big deal. Video cards have NEVER had a rating like that on them, but most people know which cards are the fastest.

Thats true for people who know to check trustworthy webbies for benchmark tests, but for Joe Public it could be bad. They already buy machines with fast CPUs and 200gig HDDs, but with onboard Intel graphics. Now they might not even get a decent CPU. It could mean the bottom drops out of the quality in the market where people buy their glossy new TX-1200 Ultra XP RX Turbo machine from Dell, proudly packing a bin-worthy Celeron 800MHz.

7. Re: Gates and nearly free hardware... Mar 30, 2004, 14:19 Da-Fly

Free Hardware Bill?

Hell, I've had free software for the last 10 years thanks to you!

Hahaha. Then again, you've probably had your hooky Windows burned onto CD-Rs. Uncle Bills probably got a percentage on those. Or the CDRW drive.
Somehow or other he's no doubt got his nob in your browneye.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 14:21.

News Comments > Carmack at GDC Follow-up
12. Re: Rehashing the same old Mar 26, 2004, 13:15 Da-Fly

ID makes engines now, nothing more.

Its been a long time since their last release - Q3:TA in 2000, which was in my opinion a game that did everything it set out to do.

Seeing as their latest effort is nearly finished its probably best to wait and see what its like before panning it. You might be right, but you might be wrong.

To be honest I'm more concerned about QuakeIV. I've found the Q3 based games coming out of Raven to be a bit samey. My interest perked up when I saw the leaked concept designs (BIIIG Bosses), and I'd like to have another go on the old Q2 weapons again in a new game.
I'm more interested in seeing what Nerve do with the D3 multiplayer and whatever project Gray Matter might have in the works.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 13:22.

News Comments > It Came From GDC
5. Re: Serious Sam 2 Mar 25, 2004, 17:49 Da-Fly

The other article mentions that it was running on the next-gen ATI card in another room.

Epic must have a very spacious arse.

News Comments > It Came From GDC
2. Serious Sam 2 Mar 25, 2004, 14:44 Da-Fly

Much as I'm keen to try the Painkiller MP demo, the SS2 news is way more interesting. I just hope they've tidied up the netcode as that was the only thing holding back the previous two titles.
The Map editor was excellent and a hell of a lot easier to use than Q3Radiant. The modding potential was there, but I think the shitty netcode scared most dev teams away.

Also, I liked this comment about the Unreal engine stuff:
...like all the rest of the demo was running on NVIDIA’s currently unannounced next-gen graphics card...

Good to see NVIDIA have set up camp in Epic's arse nice and early.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 14:52.

News Comments > Competitions - NVIDIA LAN Party
8. Hawking Mar 21, 2004, 04:20 Da-Fly

Going OT: That text-to-speech feature in UT2k4 is cool.. It even converts certain acronyms such as LOL and OMG to speech. It's funny because it sounds like Stephen Hawking

Oh yes! Thats genius. Why has this never been done before in a FPS?
Fans of Stephen Hawking will know theres a program called WillowTalk that translates typed text into a convincing Stephen Hawking impression. The whole prog is all of about 2 meg and used to run fine on my old Pent 200MHz back in the day. The point is, I'm sure it could be incorporated easily and cheaply into a FPS without impacting on performance or the netcode.
I didn't really rate the UT2004 demo (thought it was too much like the original UT - no pleasing some people heh)but now I'm thinking of buying it, purely for the comedy value.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 04:23.

6. Re: AMD changes Mar 16, 2004, 13:38 Da-Fly

If Doom3 went gold today I'd be investing in an A64 based rig, and I'm sure there'd be a lot like me.

Also, if people would actually research the CPU market at all before making a purchase they'd see that the MHz race became a red herring about 3 years ago.

Then again these are probably the same people who sign up for AOL in the blind faith that they're good because they're well known.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
21. Re: Doom to be Doomed? Mar 3, 2004, 14:06 Da-Fly

I wouldn't be surprised if the 'demo' is multiplayer only. They're trying to be so secretive about the plot of the game, it would kinda spoil it if you've already done 3 maps' worth before you buy the game.

People could test their rigs out on an inbuilt timedemo, also it could act as a public beta test for their net-coding.

This all makes sense to me anyway.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Firestarter Mar 2, 2004, 13:29 Da-Fly

Didn't Firestarter go gold months ago?
Admittedly the demo had its drawbacks....

News Comments > Game Guidance
2. Re: Gah Feb 23, 2004, 13:38 Da-Fly

I dont mind the idea of moving stuff to get access to secret areas, but I dont like the way you cant clear out the whole map first. As you complete sections of the map they got blocked off.
It used to be a good part of Doom where you kill every last mufugga in the map and then go grunting your way round the walls looking for secret areas. Well, I say a good part but its probably after completing the game 4 times, including doing whole maps with just the fists heheh.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: ZDNet Feb 22, 2004, 16:45 Da-Fly

I've heard some horror stories about Dell Customer Service. I haven't tried them myself, but I wouldn't recommend them to people I like.

News Comments > Kreed Add-on Plans/Movie
5. Re: Kreed Jan 27, 2004, 14:35 Da-Fly

I also didn't realise the base game got released. But, even their own forums are full of people slagging the game off. A bit sad really as this was such a promising project.
Maybe for such an unexperienced development team they should have kept the scope of the game smaller - it was quite adventurous.
I wonder what the net play is like.
Maybe they should have concentrated on doing just a solid multiplayer game. Their game engine has massive potential (though it looks like they went too far with the scaling and cut all the good bits out). They could have then worked on getting a dozen or so top quality maps, worked on the netcode, chuck in a few game types....
It would have brought nothing especially new to the table (apart from very nice gfx), but would most likely have got better reviews by at least succeeding in everything it set out to do.

214 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo