Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Colin

Real Name Colin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ChaosEngine
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2002, 05:09
Total Comments 36 (Suspect)
User ID 14951

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:53 ChaosEngine

Loopy wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 21:43:
It really, really is. You may be able to build a respectable unit for not-a-million-pounds, but then you have the monitor, the keyboard and whatever else. Yes, you have to buy a TV to play console games on, but if you donít already own one youíre probably either over 90 years old or youíre some kind of book-reading Luddite (and thatís the worst kind of Luddite).

I'm neither 90 nor do I consider myself a Luddite. Should I take the average? A 45 year-old that just reads books???

The thing I find hilarious is people who complain about spending a few hundred bucks on a PC, but then brag about how they have a 60 inch tv. What is the point of spending all that money on a massive tv when you're going to plug a games machine into it that can't even do 1080p?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 20:17 ChaosEngine

Honestly, I just laughed.

Sure, whatever you need to tell yourself to justify how you got ripped off buying the latest "shittier-version-of-a-pc" from sony or ms.

Meanwhile, I'll be over here gaming at 1440p. And oh look, I didn't have to throw out all my old games.

News Comments > Free to Play - Dota 2 Documentary Released
9. Re: Free to Play - Dota 2 Documentary Released Mar 19, 2014, 17:54 ChaosEngine

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 17:22:
I have seen some pretty damn boring documentaries in my day. I anticipate this will be right up there with them.

So why the fuck would you watch it, then? Clearly, we are dealing with a real intellect here.

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
39. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 11, 2014, 23:56 ChaosEngine

Ah, I love these forums. So much heat, so little light.

Yes, the game is 48gb on disk. But the download is less than half that size ~20GB).

But hey, don't let facts stop you ranting to your hearts content.

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS
1. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 19:09 ChaosEngine

To the surprise of absolutely no-one...  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
75. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Feb 2, 2014, 17:17 ChaosEngine

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 16:28:
Dude, one more time: EA has purportedly received US$ 8 million from AMD for implementing Mantle support. They did not do this because they thought it would be cool to do or because they care about gamers. They did this for the $$$.

Utterly irrelevant. It doesn't matter why EA did it, it matters that all future EA games will have Mantle support. Unless you're going to argue that EA games are a tiny piece of the market? Regardless of how you feel about EA (not a fan, myself) the fact is that they produce a big percentage of the most commercially successful games out there.

We all know how much the big publishers care for and love their PC ports, right? What makes you think that anyone -without being handed similar bribes- will voluntarily support Mantle? That won't happen. What might happen is that MS and Sony will specifically start bribing devs to NOT support Mantle on the PC version as they already do when it comes to keeping the quality of PC ports on the lower end of the spectrum.

Did you not understand the bit about AMD chips being in both the XB One and PS4? I don't know if you have any business experience, but as a rule companies do not generally bribe people to make their own products look worse. The quality of PC ports simply isn't relevant to the discussion.

AMD are clearly going to push Mantle onto the consoles (they've already said as much).

Mantle is going to be a total niche that will only be supported by games where AMD coughed up a bribe (like BF4) or by indie/KS developers who want to support Mantle to attract some extra attention to their games.

So, once again... your "tiny niche" includes every new EA game, Star Citizen and probably Thief. Yeah, there's no money there at all. Rolleyes

I don't know if Mantle is the real deal or not. If it really does work like AMD are saying, given that devs are already struggling with the limitations of the new consoles, explain why you wouldn't implement something that gives you performance improvements on most of your target platforms.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
50. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 16:19 ChaosEngine

To the people who say NVidia can safely ignore Mantle, I think you're missing out on two important factors:

1. AMD chips are in both the XBone and PS4, so both of these will inherently support Mantle. As such it makes sense for devs to support it. If you were a AAA publisher and could get any advantage on both consoles and AMD pc users, why wouldn't you? That's got to be well over 75% of your market share right there.

2. DICE have implemented Mantle in Frostbite and EA have already mandated that all their studios are to use Frostbite.

Given those two together, it means that one of the largest publishers in the business is backing a technology that can be applied to the majority of it's customers. From a business perspective, I can't see any devs backing an NVidia proprietary solution. The only ones who could possibly pull it off are Valve (who are very cosy with NVidia).

Regardless of the technical merits of Mantle, it makes sense from a business perspective, and business decisions trump technical concerns. Always.

News Comments > AMD: Battlefield 4 "Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle
47. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 18:28 ChaosEngine

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 17:30:
Of course it will work, but if you want the benefits of Mantle, you need to have an ATI card. and if you want the benefits of Phys-X (tiny as they are) you need an Nvidia card. And if you want the benefits of G-Sync, you need an Nvidia card. And I'm sure AMD will come up with yet another thing that only benefits their users.

You mean hair rendering isn't enough for you?

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
30. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:57 ChaosEngine

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:32:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:18:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:15:
Fuck them. Bought Tomb Raider Survival Edition for the PC at full price. One of the few games I bought for full price in the last year. And now this ass rape for PC gamers again. Guess how many more Tomb Raiders I will ever buy at full price again dear Square Enix? Yup. You got it. You assholes.

If them deciding not to re-sell you the same game for full price feels like ass rape to you, you must live a pretty irritated life.

No, he's saying they should be putting out the additional stuff as a free upgrade for existing owners and he's right.

There's no way in hell I'd pay full price for this "definitive edition". Not even slightly interested in Tomb Raider multiplayer, but if they wanted to charge $5 or so for the updated models, I think that would be reasonable.

That said, most of the graphics improvements were already on PC, including the hair if you had an ATI card.

News Comments > NSA's Game Spying
176. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 19:51 ChaosEngine

Julio wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 16:46:
ChaosEngine wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 16:43:
If there is a government conspiracy going on, it's whoever managed to successfully steer the conversation away from the facts of what the NSA is doing, and onto the idiocy of the 911 truther morons.

When you have to get to name calling, it suggests you've got no argument to make. How do you think the government got the agreement of the people to spy on them? 9/11.

There's no question that the government used the excuse of 9/11 to increase the powers of the NSA. See that is what we call a fact. It is documented and there's plenty of evidence to support it.

OTOH, the "truther" idiots have nothing but discredited propaganda and wild speculation about a secret evil government that is simultaneously so spectacularly competent that they can orchestrate the demolition of a building with any of the 50000 or so people who work in it noticing, but at the same time so spectacularly stupid as to make it look like a demolition.

As for name calling, there are people who you rationally debate opposing points of view with, and then there are creationists, climate deniers, homeopaths and 911 truthers. You don't get to debate with the grown-ups because you're either lying, insane or both. So yeah, I'm pretty comfortable calling them morons, because they are.

News Comments > NSA's Game Spying
134. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 16:43 ChaosEngine

If there is a government conspiracy going on, it's whoever managed to successfully steer the conversation away from the facts of what the NSA is doing, and onto the idiocy of the 911 truther morons.

News Comments > DICE: Linux Needs "One Killer App or Game"
42. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 14, 2013, 19:27 ChaosEngine

TheEmissary wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 13:35:
Most people use Windows because they are more or less stuck on that platform and unable to move easily to something else. If software or games people are able to enjoy was available on Linux or any other OS for that matter most people would switch to something other than Windows. I know I would. There is very little outside of a few core applications and games that keep me using Windows.

Who are these "most people"?

If you mean the average joe on the street, they don't even know what Linux is (hell, most of them don't know what an OS is) and aren't "stuck on windows". In fact, they already moved... to android or ios, which is more than enough for their computing requirements.

If you mean the business world, again no, they have exactly zero interest in moving to linux. Again, outside of IT, most of them don't even know Linux exists, and if they do, it's "some techy thing". A lot of them are stuck on windows, but they seem to be moving more towards the web (and even this group is hugely fractured).

PC Gamers? Well, this group is probably the most technically literate, and windows 8 has certainly failed to impress them. So there's a small chance that a significant percentage will move to linux (or more specifically SteamOS).

Because here's the thing that the Linux advocates consistently fail to understand. Linux doesn't have to be "as good as windows but free". We all already have a windows licence... money is not the issue.

Linux has to be better than Windows, and by a considerable margin. And not just better in a philosophical manner, or even better engineered. It must give the end user a much better computing experience. If you're going to convince most people to install a new OS, you had better make it worth the time and effort to do so (start by making the time and effort required as small as possible).

So yeah, everything (networking, graphics, printers, etc) has to work perfectly out of the box, even if the hardware wasn't built with linux in mind. Is it fair? Not really, but it is the reality.

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced
24. No subject Oct 8, 2013, 19:35 ChaosEngine

This must be a first on Blue's. A sequel announcement for a game and everyone responds positively!  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed
39. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 19:12 ChaosEngine

Slick wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 13:49:
what exactly is this game doing wrong? no map editor, ie no server files, ie not giving all the core data of the engine away to all the hackers in the world? riiiiight, how terrible of them. boooo.

Please explain exactly how you think a map editor will lead to hacking.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2013, 19:17 ChaosEngine

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 18:37:
Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 16:23:
I've never heard of him I'll have to try and give him a read at some point.
We've discussed him here a couple of times, his sci-fi "Culture" novels are excellent. And as I've said before, they represent the fictional universe I would most like to live in.

Couldn't agree more. Tragic loss.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines "Kick Ass" Trailer
27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 18:21 ChaosEngine

"...shows US Colonial Marines doing what they do best Ė kicking some Xenomorph ass."

Gearbox must have been watching a different Aliens movie to me.

Because in the version I saw, what Colonial Marines do best is die.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Specs
30. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Specs Jan 14, 2013, 17:32 ChaosEngine

Dear Gearbox and Sega,

http://store.steampowered.com/app/49540/?cc=us
http://store.steampowered.com/app/49540/?cc=au
http://store.steampowered.com/app/49540/?cc=nz

50usd in the US, 80usd in Australia and 100usd in NZ??

Fuck you.

Signed,
someone who actually buys games.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Plans
7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Plans Jan 9, 2013, 16:17 ChaosEngine

Gas Bandit wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:56:
Hope they do something about the game crashing every 1.5 hours on win XP. I rather like this game.

Get an OS that's less than a decade old?

News Comments > New Space Hulk Game Next Year
6. Re: New Space Hulk Game Next Year Dec 10, 2012, 21:49 ChaosEngine

jdreyer wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 20:45:
Think the success of XCom had anything to do with this?

Speaking of XCom, I hope they made a decent profit on that. It would be a shame it if went another 12 years in between releases.

Was just thinking the same thing myself

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
8. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:33 ChaosEngine

Simon Says wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:26:
So Gabe, on one side you hate Win8 for it's Walled Garden approach and on the other side you want to build a Walled Garden of your own and that is OK? Yeah... right!

Do you get internet under your rock? Because if you do, you might have heard something about Valve porting Steam and their games to linux.

Personally, I'm not a linux fan, but if you want open, there ya go.

36 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo