Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Adam

Real Name Adam   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pedle Zelnip
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2002, 04:41
Total Comments 476 (Amateur)
User ID 14912

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
94. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2005, 03:21 Pedle Zelnip

Agreed. I would consider it a strategy but not an effective one. To be honest, the Liberal campaign thus far has been a little lacklustre -- a few generic speeches, some chest thumping and very few policy announcements.

That's true of pretty well every party so far though. All I've heard from Harper is that the Liberals are corrupt. All I've heard from Duceppe is that Quebec should be soverign. All I've heard from Layton is "imagine what we could do if we had a few more seats" without actually explicitly saying what it is they would do. Kinda to be expected at this point, the campaign won't really pick up until after xmas.

The only notable announcement being the handgun ban which I find laughable. I think the only people it will affect are collectors and professional shooters, neither of which have anything to do with the recent increase in gun violence in Toronto.

Agreed. The whole handgun ban is purely kneejerk P.R. to try and win a few votes.

I'm still in the undecided camp, voted Green last time though.

NDP for me. I seriously considered voting Green last time, but didn't feel that their platform was complete or entirely viable.

PZ
------------
Reading: J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye"

PZ
------------
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2005, 18:25 Pedle Zelnip

And, for a change of pace, I'm staying out of this one. Too much work to do

wOOt!! LEFT WINGERS WIN!!!

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

43. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2005, 17:32 Pedle Zelnip

With the United States contributing 14,000 troops, compared to a total of 2,000 from all other countries, and half of the $4 billion that has been used for reconstruction since September 2001...

That statement by itself is meaningless given that the US is the only superpower in the world. Just because the US puts more money/men/resources into Afghanistan doesn't mean that other countries aren't doing their share, it could just mean that those other countries are simply committing all that they are capable of committing. The US military is one of the largest (if not the largest) armed force in the world, so one would expect there to be more US troops in Afghanistan than from any other country.

Aside from that, I have some difficulty accepting those numbers. From http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=WEI20050831&articleId=891

...about 250 Canadian soldiers will be part of a provincial reconstruction team (development work) and at least another 1000 members of the Canadian Forces will join US counterparts in patrols and security work

Which seems to not really jive with the 2000 total amongst all nations.

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

42. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2005, 17:16 Pedle Zelnip

Actually, the whole thing is laughable. As a born citizen of the US, I really could give 2 shits about Canada (Even being in MN). But I don't see politicians in the US bad mouthing Canada just to get elected. I was under the impression we were neighbors and should at least TRY and work together on policy. But hey, what do I know. But then again, Canada failed to show support for Iraq, which is here some of it may stem from. I doubt terrorists give 2 shits about Canada either - but if the did, and something happened, I guess we should just stand by and say, "well doesn't that suck?"

That is one of the biggest inflamitory trolling posts I've seen in quite some time, so I think I'll just leave well enough alone.

I think it has less to do with Iraq and more to do with trade issues ... You'll notice that most of the posturing by Prime Minister Martin was done from the west for the west.

Very good point.

The US has also diverted a little bit from Canada post 9/11, in terms of domestic policy and values. The Patriot Act and Iraq only further alienate Canadians. Also, there seems to be a shift in the US towards Christian conservative values. Most Canadians are more concerned about Kyoto than censorship and limiting abortion rights.

Also very good points. To be fair though you could easily say that it's Canada who has diverted from the US rather than the other way around.

So, an anti-US platform is to be expected by most Canadian politicians

Actually I disagree about that, if you listen to Stephen Harper* talk, he seems quite committed to strengthening Canada/US relations, and while that won't be the big push of his platform I'm sure rhetoric to the effect of "we need to improve relations and work with the US to solve trade issues like softwood" will be a part of it.

* - For those of you who don't follow Canadian politics, Harper is the leader of the Conservative party, which is the Liberal parties biggest opponent.

... they have been mired in a scandal about misappropriation of tax payer money. And a lot of the patriotic rhetoric has been a nice distraction.

Perhaps. I don't think anti-US rhetoric is going to win over most voters though. I've myself been very critical of the Bush administration's stance on many issues, and I have voted Liberal in the past, but it's going to take a hell of a lot more than generic anti-US rhetoric for the Liberals to earn my vote in January (actually I've already decided who I'm voting for and it isn't the Liberals).

One might argue that it is something of Liberal party tradition to be somewhat confrontational with the reigning powers of the US. Trudeau and Chretien weren't exactly busom buddies with Reagan and Clinton (or Bush).

PZ
------------
This comment was edited on Dec 15, 17:20.

PZ
------------

News Comments > Site Seeing
4. Re: Is there... Dec 15, 2005, 12:55 Pedle Zelnip

Yeah but remember the old ones (C&C, RA etc) don't run on XP without messing about with patches and so forth. That's been updated. Hopefully C&C will be the "gold" edition they released which updated the graphics to SVGA (ooh ) like Red Alert.

Hmm, that's a good point, and if this is true then I'd definitely consider getting it as my buddy and I have been dying to do a tank rush in the original RA for awhile now (we played it to death in our younger days).

Plus all the expansion packs which I don't think I ever owned any of them.

I have all the expansions for the original, RA, and Generals but didn't manage to get the expansion for Tiberian Sun.

Yup, even though I already own almost all these games, mark this down as a definite purchase...

I'll wait to see how much it is and what it adds, but yeah actually if it means the original & RA can work perfectly & easily under XP I'd be interested.

This post is shamefully brought to you using someone else's unsecured wireless network

Best Sig Ever.

PZ
------------
This comment was edited on Dec 15, 12:55.

PZ
------------

17. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2005, 12:45 Pedle Zelnip

Someone mentioned it...the election stuff.

Still not quite sure what you're referring to, you mean the "we will say what we want"? If that's the case, then I don't see what your issue is, as an American I would think you value free speech. Flip the issue around, imagine if during the Kerry/Bush campaign Martin (or better yet Jacques Chirac) had said to either US candidate "don't bad mouth us in your campaign", wouldn't you react with something to the effect of "you can't tell us what to say and not say, we'll say what we want"?

If it's the global warming thing, well, I think our PM's criticisms could've been articulated a bit more diplomatically, but they certainly didn't fall far from the truth as far as I can see (US is one of the few nations really trying to hold up Kyoto, etc). At any rate I don't think the criticisms at the global warming conference will win him any votes.

Don't you guys keep up on current events?
*cue Warhawk and his CNN and FOXNEWS links*

Uhm, if you're watching CNN & FOXNEWS for Canadian news, you're definitely not going to get an accurate picture of Canadian politics (just a wee bit of an American bias from those news providers).

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

News Comments > Site Seeing
1. Is there... Dec 14, 2005, 23:54 Pedle Zelnip

anyone who would want the C&C games who don't already own them?

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

News Comments > The Safety Dance
1. Port scans and attacks Dec 14, 2005, 15:30 Pedle Zelnip

From the article:
only about five percent of attacks are preceded by port scans alone

But something tells me that 100% of attacks include port scans, so it's still something to be aware of.

The packet number differential could be used by security software ... to separate the relatively benign port scanning ... from the more lethal vulnerability scans.

Perhaps, but why not just stealth all your ports anyways?

PZ
------------
This comment was edited on Dec 14, 15:31.

PZ
------------

News Comments > New ATI CATALYST Drivers
22. CP version Dec 9, 2005, 02:17 Pedle Zelnip

I don't know how reliable these links are, but somebody posted these on the alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati newsgroup, so if you're feeling brave feel free to try them out (they seem legit, but I'm waiting a bit before I try installing them myself):

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/DLRedirect.asp?fileIDExt=24e709bb46c4ae9841eecac2a9e8c503&accountID=737&deptID=894
Windows 2000/XP

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/DLRedirect.asp?fileIDExt=548bada0dbbcaf6d92cc76c5b773e7b9&accountID=737&deptID=894
Windows XP x64

PZ
------------
Reading: Nothing in particular
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 02:18.

PZ
------------

News Comments > Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None Demo
2. Why don't you Dec 7, 2005, 23:50 Pedle Zelnip

download it and find out?

PZ
------------
Reading: Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"

PZ
------------

News Comments > UT2004 Patch
18. Re: cool Dec 2, 2005, 19:17 Pedle Zelnip

Plus, with UT2004 you have to take into account that most people who own it and play it regularly play offline with the fantastic Bots.

Like me.

And me too.

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

News Comments > Hill's Gaming Bill
77. Re: I guess... (#29) Nov 30, 2005, 11:13 Pedle Zelnip

Cigarettes, alcohol and explosives are not speech so they are not protected by the first amendment.

Okay then, what about hate speech? I presume that if I were a retailer I couldn't put the manifesto of the KKK on my store shelves can I?

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War & Winter Assault Patch
4. Re: Umm... Nov 29, 2005, 15:32 Pedle Zelnip

Just use the in-game auto patcher if you're confused

Yeah that works too.

Actually sometimes patches can still be convenient. I was at a friends on the weekend and we both tried logging in online (do the WH40K servers have problems with NATs?) while at his place and had problems so we had to resort to manual patches.

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. No subject Nov 29, 2005, 12:51 Pedle Zelnip

Man there is just no end to the issues with Sony CD's. Something tells me I'm not alone when I say that I will never buy another Sony CD ever again.

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War & Winter Assault Patch
2. Re: Umm... Nov 29, 2005, 12:46 Pedle Zelnip

For those of you who own the GOTY edition or the expansion pack, you only need the 1.40->1.41 patch, as both the GOTY edition and the Winter Assault expansion install from CD as v1.40 (and the 1.40->1.41 patch is a measly 28MB whereas the cumulative 1.41 patch is a whopping 300+ MB)

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

News Comments > Quake II Java
8. Re: I don't get it... Nov 29, 2005, 00:57 Pedle Zelnip

Nope it runs fine. I enjoyed kicking it up to 1600x1200 recently.

Actually if you really want some nice eye candy try out Quake2Evolved. Basically brings all the eye candy from Q3A to Q2:

http://www.quake2evolved.com/

PZ
------------

PZ
------------

2. Google 8-bit maps Nov 14, 2005, 11:03 Pedle Zelnip

Anyone else have problems installing Quicktime under Firefox? I've visited a ton of pages where I get the "Additional plugins are required..." border and when I click "Install Missing Plugins" it lists quicktime as the offending missing plugin. But the FF service won't install it, and when I install it manually it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

PZ
------------
This comment was edited on Nov 14, 11:04.

PZ
------------

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. RFID Passports Nov 4, 2005, 10:57 Pedle Zelnip

That was one of the better articles I've read concerning RFID's. Alarming but not alarmist, the author recognizes the potential positive uses for the technology while still reasonably criticizing this potential use.

PZ
------------
Reading: John Dicker's "United States of Wal-Mart"
This comment was edited on Nov 4, 10:57.

PZ
------------

News Comments > BF1942 Forgotten Hope Downloads
3. Re: Already been cracked.... Oct 27, 2005, 23:13 Pedle Zelnip

I'm confused, why would a free mod be password protected?

PZ
------------
Reading: Jeffrey D. Ullman's "Elements of ML Programming"

PZ
------------

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty 2
19. Too many games.... Oct 25, 2005, 12:47 Pedle Zelnip

and too little time...

PZ
------------
Reading: Jeffrey D. Ullman's "Elements of ML Programming"

PZ
------------

476 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo