Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Adam

Real Name Adam   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pedle Zelnip
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2002, 04:41
Total Comments 476 (Amateur)
User ID 14912

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 21, 2010, 20:35 Pedle Zelnip

Heard the same thing about Deathspank last week. XBLA games have always tended to be rather poor value, but this summer of arcade seems to be guilty of it more than normal.  
PZ
------------
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 21, 2010, 20:30 Pedle Zelnip

Why is the Xbox 360 Still Outselling PS3 in North America?

What a terrible article, all it did was pose the question, gave no hypothesis or potential explanations as to why it was the case.

PZ
------------

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Price you pay to play Mar 27, 2010, 18:54 Pedle Zelnip

Fail. He compared them not based soley on hours of gameplay but on the value of the game based on release price.

FTA:

"A short, broken mess like Rouge Warrior carries the exact same MSRP as Fallout 3, which rocks over ten times the content and a few thousand more layers of polish. But if Rouge Warrior is grossly overpriced for what it offers, then Fallout 3 is clearly under-priced. Digging every secret and side quest out of the Capital Wasteland can take between sixty and a hundred hours... that's a hell of a lot of game for your dollar."

Seems to me the implication there is that because Fallout 3 has more content it's better value.

PZ
------------

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Price you pay to play Mar 25, 2010, 10:38 Pedle Zelnip

I hate it when people take a GOTY candidate, and a clear example of shovelware, and talk about how one is such a better value based soley on the hours of gameplay it offers. There's another dimension to the "is it worth it" question -- quality.

Now Fallout 3 is clearly better value from a quality perspective than Rogue Warrior, but that's not a fair comparison. If value was purely determined by hours of gameplay then a generic JRPG tilting the scales at 100+ hours would be better value than say Batman Arkham Asylum (which while awesome, was only a 20 or so hour game).

PZ
------------

News Comments > Chris Taylor Optimistic About PC Gaming
29. Re: Chris Taylor Optimistic About PC Gaming Jan 23, 2010, 12:19 Pedle Zelnip

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 22, 2010, 12:51:
I don't even see it as much of a choice between console and PC. The experiences are so completely different that it's not a matter of choosing one over the other. I just don't enjoy the console experience except in the case of certain types of games, so it's really not an option for me. They are complimentary in that I enjoy some types of games on the PC and some on the console, with very little overlap. I still do about 90% of my gaming on the PC because that's where most of the games I enjoy are best played.

EXACTLY! The two are not mutually exclusive. You find that consoles aren't for you so you don't play them. I have zero problem with people who are in that boat. What I take issue with are the people who are PC elitists who feel that consoles must die simply because they are so committed to their own platform.

Jerykk wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 05:52:
Halo not on the Wii has nothing to do with "upgrading".

Sure it is. If you want to play Halo 3, you need to upgrade to a more powerful console (the 360). Similarly, if you want to play Crysis, you're going to have to replace your old 6800 GT. Unlike consoles, the PC doesn't have generations. It is constantly evolving. Many people think of it in the same manner as consoles and instead of upgrading the necessary parts as time goes on, they either wait until their computer is horribly outdated and then buy a whole new one or they just complain that their computer sucks and buy a console instead.

That's a bit of a stretch to call buying a new console "upgrading" in the same way that buying a new video card, sound card, etc for a PC is upgrading. One is incremental and constantly ongoing, the other is once every few years.

I wouldn't call the problems inherent. With sufficient testing, 99% of problems wouldn't happen. However, many developers skimp on testing these days because QA can be expensive. As for driver issues, it's not that hard to go on Google and do a little research. PC gaming takes effort, sure, but the information you need is out there and you can find it.

Agree to disagree.

That's not much of a choice. A) Play the game and put up with shitty framerates or B) Not play the game. On the PC, you'd have more choices like A) Play the game and put up with shitty framerates, B) Upgrade your computer and play the game with good framerates, C) Lower your detail settings and play with improved framerates, D) Find some mods that optimize the graphics and improve the framerate, E) Overclock your system and improve the framerate. F) All of the above. G) Not play the game.

And how many "typical gamers" are interested in most of those options? But you're right, those are all choices that are available to you, and this could be seen as a strength of the platform (choice).

And as a sidebar -- I've only ever seen a single game on my 360 which has had serious framerate issues (Quake 4). That's the plus of having the same hardware in every machine -- you can optimize to that platform, and you can be sure how the game will run on *every* console out there (as they're all the same). It also comes directly as a result of the "controlled" nature of requiring certification before being able to have your game on store shelves.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2010, 12:22.

PZ
------------

26. Re: Chris Taylor Optimistic About PC Gaming Jan 22, 2010, 10:15 Pedle Zelnip

Jerykk wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 21:16:
I don't think it downplays the negatives because it has nothing to do with the negatives. Taylor never claimed that PC gaming is as convenient or accessible to gamers as consoles are. He's talking about developers. On the PC, developers have the most freedom. You can make whatever you want. There is no certification, no approval process, no specific hardware you have to work with, no specific price you have to set, etc.

Fair enough.

There is always a choice with the PC. It just requires some tech savvy and common sense. You can't fault the platform itself for technical issues you may encounter with your specific hardware or software. A lot of people are using old, outdated PCs. Is it reasonable for them to expect to play all the new games? Nope. If they want to play the newest games, they'll need to upgrade, just like they would buy a new console. You don't see people complaining that they can't play Halo on their Wii.

Halo not on the Wii has nothing to do with "upgrading". :p

I disagree though that the fact that technical issues are not a fault of the platform. It's a characteristic that is inherent to the platform, that comes directly from the openness of it. And it's more than "common sense" to resolve driver issues.

I see your point about having to upgrade to play the latest games on the PC, but at the same time, its when you upgrade to the latest and the greatest that you're most likely to run into those technical problems as drivers aren't as mature, etc.

I choose to keep my system up-to-date. As such, I don't even need to read system requirements because I know I can run everything. If the game itself is broken, that's the fault of the programmers, not the platform.

But see that's where you and I differ. I've never had issues with games not working on my Xbox360. Why? BECAUSE of that certification process that games have to go through. Its onerous for the devs, sure, but there is a reason (and a benefit) to it.

The point I'm making is that it's a trade-off: openness comes at the cost of "plug and play" simplicity.

That's a lot better than on a console where if something runs like crap, it runs like crap and there's nothing you can do about it.

You can not play the game, which I'd contend is the same thing you're doing on the PC side of the equation.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2010, 10:18.

PZ
------------

21. Re: Chris Taylor Optimistic About PC Gaming Jan 21, 2010, 20:45 Pedle Zelnip

Jerykk wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 17:19:
The idea that the PC is more open is valid, though it's a bit misleading of a claim.

I don't think it's misleading. "Open" refers to choice, not accessibility. When it comes to choice on behalf of both developers and consumers, the PC is unrivaled.

It's misleading in the sense that "Open" and "free" are words so overloaded with positive charge that it downplays the negatives of the platform. And "accessibility" is just as much an aspect of a platform being "open" as "choice". If I cannot access a game on my PC, then how can the platform be considered "open"?

I agree though that the PC is unrivaled in terms of flexibility, and openness. I'm hesitant to use the word "choice" as it can be misconstrued. I for example, cannot "choose" to play Halo 3 or Uncharted on my PC for example.

loomy wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 19:13:
pedle, the PC hassles you're talking about are on a different level of abstraction than the openness topic

those hassles aren't inherent to the open PC platform any more than a fee for xbox live is for consoles. such issues are just a result of some software design that can be changed, like windows wallpapers always having blue sky

I disagree, I think the "hassles" are a direct result of the openness of the platform (you can add any piece of hardware you wish to a PC, and the vast majority of issues come as a result of hardware incompatibilities), and as such it is absolutely central to the openness issue.

PZ
------------

14. Re: Chris Taylor Optimistic About PC Gaming Jan 21, 2010, 17:06 Pedle Zelnip

The idea that the PC is more open is valid, though it's a bit misleading of a claim.

Yes, there's more freedom for independent developers to self-publish on the PC than on consoles.

BUT, how many really great games can still be made by indy developers in their spare time? The old nostalgic vision of the Ken Silverman sitting in his basement coming up with the next Ken's Labyrinth is gone. Nowadays the types of games which most gamers demand require *huge* amounts of resources dedicated to developing them.

People mentioned games like Torchlight, but that's a game made by a studio, not an indy. Audiosurf sure, but honestly, while AS is a good game, it's a casual "pick up and play" kinda game. Put another way -- it's nothing that's going to set the industry on fire.

And aside from this, the idea that PC gaming is more "open" and "free", hides the fact that it's also more "techie". I've never had to upgrade, download a driver for, resolve a hardware conflict, or worry "will this game work" when playing games on my Xbox360. Over the holidays I purchased a number of games on Steam, and some worked great "out of the box", others did not, requiring a not-insigificant amount of tweaking. This is the price you pay for the "openness" of the system.

Why can't we move away from the PC vs consoles dichotomy, both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses, and both are and will continue to be for the foreseeable future major parts of the electronic entertainment industry.

PZ
------------

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Dec 16, 2009, 17:06 Pedle Zelnip

It was more like "things that apparently pissed this one guy off". He just comes off as a cranky gamer...

So do a lot of PC gamers.

PZ
------------

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 7, 2009, 12:36 Pedle Zelnip

SSD vs HDD on a Netbook:

I've always thought articles about netbooks which are focussed around performance kinda miss the point. I don't have a netbook because I want to run something performance intensive, I have a netbook because I want something small, portable, and affordable that can run Firefox, Thunderbird, and Office reasonably well.

PZ
------------

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Dec 7, 2009, 12:34 Pedle Zelnip

How is the market flooded with Beatles games, there only a single Beatles game out there (RBB)?  
PZ
------------

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 22, 2009, 12:57 Pedle Zelnip

Looking Back: that was a really good read, with a nice summary of all that had gone on through the L4D2 boycott.  
PZ
------------

News Comments > Queen DLC for Rock Band
13. Re: Queen DLC for Rock Band Oct 2, 2009, 18:26 Pedle Zelnip

Bohemian would've had crazy high licensing fees, but what I'm wondering is why We Are the Champions isn't here when it's available for GHWT/GH5? Did Activision get exclusive rights?  
PZ
------------

News Comments > Arkham Asylum Free DLC Released
4. Re: Arkham Asylum Free DLC Released Sep 18, 2009, 18:18 Pedle Zelnip

is there any kind of delivery service that people don't complain about?

Honest too god even if game updates were hand delivered by a hot topless chick someone here would bitch.

I agree, though one does wonder why this has to be delivered through Games for Windows, and not just as a straight download since it's free.

PZ
------------

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Asylum DLC Details
8. Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum DLC Details Sep 14, 2009, 17:39 Pedle Zelnip

The challenges are lame. More actual real content - side mishes, more story. That's what people want. You've done one challenge map you've done them all.

While I'd like some more story content, the challenges are DEFINITELY not "once you've seen one you've seen them all". Try the first combat challenge, then try Shock & Awe Extreme and tell me that they're the same thing.

PZ
------------

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 25, 2009, 13:51 Pedle Zelnip

1200 points == $20 which is more than I paid for Serious Sam on the PC 8 years ago. If you're just going to port a game to the arcade you have to do better than that as a price point.  
PZ
------------

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2009, 22:14 Pedle Zelnip

FTA:

Win+Up Maximize
Win+Down Restore / Minimize
Win+Left Snap to left
Win+Right Snap to right
Win+Shift+Left Jump to left monitor
Win+Shift+Right Jump to right monitor
Win+Home Minimize / Restore all other windows
Win+T Focus the first taskbar entry
Pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around.
Win+Shift+T cycles backwards.
Win+Space Peek at the desktop
Win+G Bring gadgets to the top of the Z-order
Win+P External display options (mirror, extend desktop, etc)
Win+X Mobility Center (same as Vista, but still handy!)
Win+#
(# = a number key) Launches a new instance of the application in the Nth slot on the taskbar.
Example: Win+1 launches first pinned app, Win+2 launches second, etc.
Win + +
Win + - (plus or minus key) Zoom in or out.

Explorer
Alt+P Show/hide Preview Pane

Taskbar modifiers
Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance
Middle click on icon Open a new instance
Ctrl + Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance with Admin privileges
Shift + Right-click on icon Show window menu (Restore / Minimize / Move / etc)
Note: Normally you can just right-click on the window thumbnail to get this menu
Shift + Right-click on grouped icon Menu with Restore All / Minimize All / Close All, etc.
Ctrl + Click on grouped icon Cycle between the windows (or tabs) in the group

How are any of these useful?

PZ
------------

News Comments > Wii-style Gaming PC
20. Re: Wii-style Gaming PC Jan 5, 2009, 18:07 Pedle Zelnip

.... Of course, the cost of Vista itself blows up the price, ...

Which is why it'd be a good idea to use some proprietary Linux-based OS instead. Works for many netbook manufacturers.

Or, you know, I could just buy a Wii for 150 bucks. And have more games to play.

I think you'd likely spend more than $150 on a Wii unless you find some serious discounts, but your points valid all the same.

As for more games to play, sure, more crappy games to play. :p

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2009, 18:09.

PZ
------------

News Comments > Need for Speed in Trouble?
40. Re: Need for Speed in Trouble? Dec 14, 2008, 14:04 Pedle Zelnip

I'm surprised so many people like the PU version of NFS, I always found it a bit to heavy on the sim side of the equation for my tastes. My first (and best) experience with the NFS series was the first Hot Pursuit game, not the one with the helicopters that dropped the bombs, just the cops that drove Lamborghini's.  
PZ
------------

News Comments > Need for Speed in Trouble?
12. Re: Need for Speed in Trouble? Dec 13, 2008, 18:04 Pedle Zelnip

Seems to me that the NFS series in recent years has suffered from a lack of focus and identity. It's not really an arcade racing series (PGR is better for that crowd), and it's not really a sim racing series (the Forza's are better for those interested in that type of racing game). So not surprising that there's been "declining sales and declining critical reception".  
PZ
------------

476 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo