Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2398 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
25. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 28, 2014, 06:33 mag

walrus1 wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:07:
GOG has attempted to jump the shark here. I wouldn't be surprised if the shark ate them.

I doubt this represents a huge investment on their end. Worst case, it'll quietly go away, no harm. Best case, one day you won't have to deal with VUDU or whatever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 27, 2014, 02:46 mag

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 23:46:
12.9"?! You might as well just put a keyboard on it and call it an Ultrabook at that point.

I can't wait for the 2020 30" tablets and 20" phones.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 27, 2014, 00:33 mag

UConnBBall wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 20:35:
Sad Google didn't land Twitch.tv I am scared that Amazon will cause:
1) No chromecast for Twitch!!!!
2) They will reduce the payment to streamers
3) They don't know eSports and we will lose the ability to watch every event through Twitch
4) Twitch ends up becoming a wasteland 3 years down the road due to zero development on the platform
5) Amazon puts up pay walls like Prime or other ways of pushing Amazon.

As opposed to Google:
1) Google+ & youtube integration of Twitch!
2) Reduce the payment to streamers
3) Google discontinues it in two years because that's what they do to everything

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2014, 17:47 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:46:
Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 12:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 12:17:
I look and compare vs the i7-4790K and I despair... AMD.. .... ... you drunk? Intel just shoved the Haswell refresh with 4ghz and unlocked MP in your face.... that completely obliterates your cpu's... and you come up with a piledriver with slightly higher core speed.. depressing as hell!

Some people here have taken offense when I say this (not sure why), but AMD just doesn't really play at that higher end. AMD wants you spending under $250 on a CPU. Anything over that and it just doesn't care. And even in that range it's kind of ridiculous to go AMD most of the time. Depends on deals, I guess. Under $150 AMD can make some sense. Usually, I'd argue that over that it makes none.

Wait, sorry, I should have read first. These are expected to be around $300? Jesus, at Microcenter you can get the i7-4790K for $290. Who would ever, ever buy an AMD over that?

Where you saw prices? I looked and couldn't find any info on that. Anyway the i7-4790K is a true beast. I know it's unfair to compare this to AMD's offerings here. But if they go 4ghz they will still be below an 4790K on default clock. And we are talking by 15% to 25% which is huge when you consider that this is is PER CORE.

If they price this above 200$ they might as well give up now. As you say, who would ever buy an AMD cpu with the 4790K doing what it does... devils canyon is really aptly named. And untypical for Intel, it's also decently priced.

Ayup. The i7 4790 is $250 (4790K is $280) at Micro Center. The FX 8350, though, which this is replacing, is $160. So--obviously the i7s blow them out of the water, performance-wise, but that's not a tiny price difference, especially if you've already got an AM3+ board.

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2014, 01:08 mag

Julio wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 18:28:
mag wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 15:20:
So yes, if you are not a person that believes women should be treated equally, you might be a misogynist. The problem is that to other people (mostly, and usually mistakenly, men) 'feminism' is this scary belief that men are evil and should be punished for having penises.

There are plenty of militant feminist women who think they should get advantages over men to 'make up for the past'. And they'd like to treat men as less than equal.

Equal = Fair, however that's generally not good enough for the SJW.

Where Plenty = A Few Loud People on jezebel.com, I imagine. Anyway, my argument is not that they don't exist. It's not even that they are in the (vocal) minority (though they are). It's that you have two camps of people using the same word to mean completely different things. So when you go charging into an argument foaming at the mouth about feminism, social justice, and political correctness, people that have a moderate view of those things are going to think that you are batshit crazy/a dick.

News Comments > Op Ed
55. Re: Op Ed Aug 25, 2014, 15:20 mag

Prez wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 13:04:
Personally I don't like the term "social justice" for the same reason I don't like people like Sarkeesian and Quinn. They take a legitmate issue and agendize it to the point that the goal of a movement and/or meaning of a term mutates into something it was never intended to be. I like the idea of equal justice and treatment for everyone in society. But the term "social justice" has been used and abused by the "Social Justice Warriors" to the point that it has become a negative term for many. That's why it really fits in my mind. They don't stand for actual social justice. They satnd for their own warped vision of what they think justice should be.

The "If your not a feminist you're a misogynist" quote comes to mind.

People get bent so out of shape about 'feminism' without defining terms. For most people that would call themselves feminists, feminism is the belief that women should be treated equally to men--and yes, it's feminism and not 'personism' because in most (not all) situations, it's women that are marginalized.

So yes, if you are not a person that believes women should be treated equally, you might be a misogynist. The problem is that to other people (mostly, and usually mistakenly, men) 'feminism' is this scary belief that men are evil and should be punished for having penises.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Aug 25, 2014, 04:50 mag

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 22:28:
I have been called a bigot and a misogynist online ... for pointing out that Anita Sarkeesian's video have factual errors in them ... I've also been called an SJW (actually I think it was a feminazi) on my YouTube channel when I pointed out some of the really creepy advances your character in the Sega CD game Snatcher makes towards several women characters (that comment was moderated so it no longer exists.)

Behold, the problem with labels. SJW might be the dumbest slur people have come up with yet. Stop using it. It's not helping anyone.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2014, 14:31 mag

I had an arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder a couple years ago, and they never really offered anything but the general. I was really tempted to ask for the local, though, because I wanted to watch.

I never did ask, though, because I wasn't sure I could keep from fidgeting. Sitting still for an MRI is hard enough!

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
50. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 23, 2014, 03:51 mag

Damn. I'm pretty sure Phil Fish is an asshole, and I've had a pretty negative opinion of him, but the knuckle-draggers in here are actually kinda pushing me to side with him just so I don't have to feel like I'm lumped in with the mouth-breathing gaming public.

Y'all need to chill.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
3. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 22, 2014, 15:06 mag

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 15:00:
I'm certainly not saying he deserves all of the venom he gets, but he comes off as the most thin skinned person I've ever heard of.

Makes you kinda pine for Derek Smart, doesn't it?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2014, 12:20 mag

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 11:49:
NFL Pick time again?

GO CUBS!

I would like to pick the Bengal's but sadly I'm not a native of Cincinnati and delusional (bat shit crazy) about the Bengal's chances.
4 years, 4 loses in the 1st post season game of the year.

Three years, innit? And hey, three straight years of playoff runs isn't too shabby, especially if you're the Bengals.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2014, 20:31 mag

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 16:38:
mag wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 16:21:
I have heard tell that eating a lot of meat and then sprinkling your urine around the yard/garden will deter deer.

So an average Tuesday then?

You know it!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2014, 16:21 mag

I have heard tell that eating a lot of meat and then sprinkling your urine around the yard/garden will deter deer.  

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha
7. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 20:57 mag

jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 18:49:
This is interesting. Not sure a major studio has ever let the public play test this early before.

I was going to say 'qtest,' but apparently that was only four months early. Uh. Hm.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins
24. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 16:41 mag

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 07:12:
mag wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 03:14:
grudgebearer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 00:23:
Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 22:06:
Wooohoooo! Between this, Wasteland 2, Original Sin and Witcher 3 in February 2015, it's a fucking GREAT six months for RPGs.

Have you played any WL2 yet? The combat is pretty terrible.

How so? Which camp are you from? "Not enough like Fallout" or "too much like Fallout?"

There's just no tactics to it at all. Early on before explosives, since there are no formations your guys enter combat in a clump, first round you move them to cover or just crouch and set everyone to "ambush". The AI is pretty tard, so they always rush into your field of fire, so most battles end by the second third round as you decimate them the first round. You literally have 3 options in combat, crouch, attack, and ambush which is basically overwatch. Later on it get's even worse because you get grenades, and so does the enemy, which are completely overpowered in that they are 100% accurate and do about 100 damage which is instakill unless you are level 10+.

No feats, no aimed shots, no body part targeting, very little environmental destruction; it's just really boring.

I hope PoE doesn't fall into that same hole and spend all their resources on the story and forget that combat is machine that progresses the story and needs to be done just as well.

Alright, that is pretty lame. :/

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins
13. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 03:14 mag

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 00:23:
Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 22:06:
Wooohoooo! Between this, Wasteland 2, Original Sin and Witcher 3 in February 2015, it's a fucking GREAT six months for RPGs.

Have you played any WL2 yet? The combat is pretty terrible.

How so? Which camp are you from? "Not enough like Fallout" or "too much like Fallout?"

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2014, 03:18 mag

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 01:55:
nin wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 19:50:

Grab the harmy cuts in the meantime. They're excellent.

The what now? Confused

Harmy's Star Wars: Despecialized Edition.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2014, 18:49 mag

Dagnamit wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 10:37:
As a Gunpoint purchaser, I look forward to purchasing more of Tom Francis' games. Cheers to you, good sir.

Agreed. I love how thoughtful he is about his game design, and they're small enough games that he can be consistent with it. Gunpoint was excellent.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2014, 15:16 mag

I was skeptical, but yeah. I'm digging Jedi Master Hamill. The beard works, and he's lookin' trim.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 10, 2014, 00:23 mag

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 12:37:
mag wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 04:30:
Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:20:
900 writers sticking up for a piece of shit publisher who was already found guilty of price fixing in the Apple trial, and is still trying to collude to artificially keep ebook prices way higher than they should be.

I'll be very interested to see the ad this Sunday, so I know which 900 authors to avoid in the future. Fuck you and your attempts at price fixing. Fuck you right up your fucking ass with a rusty pipe.

Oh my god. The authors don't set the prices. They just want Amazon--who has a near stranglehold on the market, who is the gatekeeper to book sales in the US--to stop deliberately refusing to sell their books.

OHMYGAWD, and WHY is Amazon refusing to sell their books (and let's get serious here, they are not refusing to sell them, they're just taking their sweet time in shipping them)? Because the authors' shit-ass publisher, Hachette, is trying to force Amazon to charge more for E-Books and to make it so that E-Books can't be lowered in price or go on sale, etc. Aka, price fixing.

You know, the thing the DOJ sued them, and five other publishers, and Apple over, and that they were FOUND GUILTY OF?

It sucks for the small-time authors who signed a deal with Hachette, I agree, but I'm not sure why we should just all bow our heads and agree to price-fixing for the sake of several hundred authors. And the fact that big name authors are whining about this is the height of fucking arrogance. Maybe someone should tell Suzanne Collins her books were 1-3 on Amazon's top E-book list for like 80000 months in a row, and that she likely has a large part of her success and her money to thank to Amazon.

No. What Hatchette is trying to do is not what they were found guilty of doing. They were found guilty of conspiring with other publishers to keep "all" ebooks across the industry, at every outlet, locked at one price. What Hatchette wants to do here is to negotiate a contract where they can tell Amazon, "You can't sell our ebooks for less than $10." That is a fucking common sort of contract.

It's the same thing Apple, Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft do for their hardware. It's probably what video game publishers do for their games. I'd put money on this being why you never see CoD games on sale for more than like 25% off on Steam, yeah? It's not rare. I don't like it, but I can see their rationale. They don't want customers to begin to think of their product as being worth $1.

And on the other hand, Amazon is using its massive market share (both in ebooks and physical books) to say, "no, we'll sell them for whatever we want, or we we're going to limit our stock to one a week."

This would be the equivalent of Valve (after GameStop goes out of business, and after Valve buys the video game portion of Amazon) saying, "well, if you won't let us sell CoD for $2 during the Steam sale, we won't sell it digitally at all. We're also not going to stock it in our stores. We might ship out one or two a month."

I think what Hatchette is doing is shitty, but I think what Amazon is doing is more reprehensible. They are abusing their dominant market position by restricting access to even the physical books over an ebook dispute. The authors are the ones hurt, here.

2398 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo