Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2445 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 12, 2014, 03:47 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 13:43:
How many times a day does the average person check their phone? 221, apparently.

Really? REALLY? People, please, get a life.

I doubt I hit half that much, but between email, text messages, and just checking the time it's got to get up there pretty good. For people that text more than me, it doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2014, 01:46 mag

1badmf wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 18:24:
funny how things evolve in our memories. when i first saw that ep i thought it was the hokeyest, most contrived pile of drivel i'd ever seen. but now, those stupid quotes stick in my memory like a unique freak at venice beach (sorry that was NOT intentional). and i'm pretty sure i've only seen that episode like, twice.

Sokath, his eyes uncovered.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 10, 2014, 23:13 mag

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 18:09:
I like the idea of the G-Pack, but that's a serious amount of cash, fellas...

When we say “inaudible”, we mean it! G-pack uses top specification, minimal noise fans that run at less than 30 db

With a GTX980 in the case? I'm going to go ahead and politely cough in my hand and go "bullshit", but I would assume it can be kept quiet enough.

I... guess that I get that you're paying for it living in a tiny, unseen box, but $1700 for that first machine is ludicrous.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs
12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs Oct 10, 2014, 17:27 mag

Flatline wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 17:11:
*Six* cores recommended?

That's only a 600 dollar CPU.

Edit: Oh I see. That's for AMD. Still, that's one fuck of a big difference between the AMD & Intel CPU.

Keep in mind that post-Phenom II AMD six- and eight-core processors are more like three- and four-core Intel processors with hyptherthreading, not even getting into the massive per-clock performance advantage that Intel has.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 12:53 mag

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 11:35:
Blue wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 09:58:
Reach is correct, but furthest is not.

Lost, I feel.
My faith, shattered.

Shaka, when the walls fell.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
2. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 18:29 mag

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:21:
Final Fantasy XIII has been optimised for PC, featuring full screen support and running at 60FPS.

But at 720p. So... I'm gonna go ahead and say that it really hasn't been optimized very much, if at all...

Even optimization (or lack thereof) aside, I have not heard anyone say any positive words about this game.

General Discussion > NFL Week Six
5. Re: NFL Week Six Oct 9, 2014, 12:26 mag

Reznor wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 11:29:
Obviously I rarely post but I've been having more fun picking winners with the spread involved, something I've have a modest success with even through the few times I've been to Vegas over the years.

I'll have to see if I can find some time to start posting more, but I read this site so much throughout the day it is definitely the best gaming news site, so thank you Blue.

You crushed me in the spread last week. I thought a couple game buffer was enough!

News Comments > Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin
25. Re: Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin Oct 9, 2014, 01:31 mag

Drayth wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 19:38:
I can understand the trepidation before going in because it's EA, but it really is less intrusive than one might think. You can run DA: O without booting up Origin after it's installed (as was kind of mentioned).

Also fyi, you can go to the Bioware social site, register the game and get all the promo DLC that was exclusive to one store or another at launch for free. Bioware's been offering that one for a while.

And... they let you keep the piece of brain they cut out!

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2014, 11:28 mag

1badmf wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 17:15:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 14:29:
mag wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 14:26:
Still in love with my G700s, not sure how you cavemen put up with your wired mice!

+1 Love my G700s. (Although mine mostly stays plugged in because I always forget to charge it.)

nother 700s user here. great ergos, but the battery life isn't so great. with gaming it'll last a day before i have to plug in. i just leave it plugged in all the time now which is sad. i came from using the cheap wireless ones that last months on a single battery, so switching to this is a little irritating, but all gaming mice are like this so, whatevs.

I plug it in when I put the computer to sleep at night, and in the morning it's good to go for the whole day. Or if I forget, I plug it in for the first hour, and it's fine after that.

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Released
5. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Released Oct 8, 2014, 11:25 mag

Iiiiiiii'm SAILING awaaaaaaaaay!  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2014, 14:26 mag

Still in love with my G700s, not sure how you cavemen put up with your wired mice!  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2014, 19:47 mag

Aero wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:31:
On the other hand as a result of coin miners, the price of the 780 Ti cards might plummet. If it's miners driving the prices up, the 780 Ti could end up cheaper than the 970. Given how much more power efficient the 900 series is than the 700 series, any miners using GPUs will need one, but power is not much of a concern to gamers.

The Maxwell GPUs seem to be a pretty big shake up, one way or the other. It's the most impressed I've been with a generational leap in a while, especially considering they couldn't use a finer manufacturing process. I haven't been following Nvidia or TSMC's plans, but it will be interesting to see what the half step (Ti presumably) will be... if they can manage a 16nm stepping they could be pretty amazing.

And, of course, AMD likely has a similarly interesting response.

No one used the 7xx series to mine (except for the 750 or whatever). They were terrible for OpenCL. There might be a flood of miner-destroyed R9 280x's on ebay, though.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 17:02 mag

Julio wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:48:
So as far as I know, Microsoft hasn't announced any real benefits that Windows 10 will offer. So why buy it?

Here's the list I have so far:
-It may not suck as bad as Windows 8 (which is irrelevant to those on Win 7)
-It will ship with DirectX12

Support for virtual desktops out of the box is a big one.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 3, 2014, 01:49 mag

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:50:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:27:
Planetary Annihilation on Steam. Save 50%.

Ooo. Half off already?

Yup PA was a disaster, we now know why Supcom 1 had such a troubled development. The team is just fucking incompetent. FYI, the team on Supcom 1 split Taylor and some went one way, Mavor (The fat guy in the PA videos) and others went the other to uber.

Uber has proven it was the the element weighing supcom down with the disaster that is PA. Supcom 2 while not the sequel we wanted was a respectable offering despite all its problems, Taylor had at least found the fun in the game.

Couldn't disagree more. PA's got some work that needs doing, and some UI adjustments would go a long way (minimaps as 2D projections of the planets would be awesome) to alleviating them. SupCom 2 was just... bad. There was nothing interesting, nothing fun about it at all. Boring.

General Discussion > NFL Week Five
4. Re: NFL Week Five Oct 2, 2014, 23:38 mag

Blue wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 07:59:
Pick time!

http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-pigskin-pickem/2014/en/group?groupID=59532
http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-pigskin-pickem/2014/en/group?groupID=65534

I did okay again picking last week, and am hanging in there in both leagues so far. Picking straight winners and the spread is obviously tricky, but when you work it right, it can be very gratifying. This happened for me this week when I picked the 49ers to win outright and picked the Eagles to cover the 5.5 point spread in the game, making me a double winner when the 49ers won by five. It hurts when you get both games wrong like that, but hitting them both was cool.

I saw complaints last week about the Giants being hard to predict, I don't think you should expect sympathy from me about them being erratic, and certainly not for picking against them. But the NFL can be tough to predict all over, and there are a bunch of teams that are hard to figure at this point (are the Cowboys actually good? Are the Patriots actually terrible?). I will say that watching the G-men closely all season, they look more genuine than not at this point, and their line-play has been strong on both sides of the ball, which was the big question about them. BTW, Eli''s performance last week of 5 TDs (one rushing) and one pick should have been six TDs... the interception was a ball he put into Ruben Randle's hands in the end zone, which got knocked loose before Randle established possession.

The funniest note about the Giants' strong performance is that Larry Donnell, who lead all tight ends in fantasy points for the week, lost his own fantasy matchup for the week by 15 points because he started Vernon Davis instead of himself. Priceless.

I am doing pretty terrible in the straight pick-em, but somehow I've been winning the Spread since week 2. Reznor's right on my tail, though--I'm waiting for that one bad week that's going to kick me out of contention.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 2, 2014, 03:55 mag

InBlack wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 03:40:
What the fuck is Intersex?

Wikipedia's not hard to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 20:25 mag

Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 20:16:
nin wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 20:05:
mag wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 19:48:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 19:35:
What the f$#k happened to Windows 9? I guess Microsux doesnt know about the even number curse?

Apparently the whole decision was as simple as the fact that there are a lot of programs that look for something as stupid as

// Checks if Windows 95 or Windows 98
if (windowsVersion starts with 9){
do stuff
}

If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt you), that's a fucking riot!

It's a rumor that came from someone claiming to work for Microsoft on Reddit, which is slightly sketchy, and he says it was the internal rumor, and let me say that when working at a company that large internal rumors are often total fabrications.

But then there's this:
Over 4000 hits

Haha, Yeah, that's what I heard. So obviously, grain of salt. But hilarious and totally believable.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 19:48 mag

[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 19:35:
What the f$#k happened to Windows 9? I guess Microsux doesnt know about the even number curse?

Apparently the whole decision was as simple as the fact that there are a lot of programs that look for something as stupid as

// Checks if Windows 95 or Windows 98
if (windowsVersion starts with 9){
do stuff
}

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 1, 2014, 04:01 mag

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 07:09:
I could go on all day! Here's another one for you...iPhones are on average more expensive than Android phones. Therefore, richer (and more successful) people can afford the former in greater numbers. I mean really, the entire thing is ridiculous. Yes, it does tell you something more about the average iPhone user, but using that in a comparison (to Android users) is completely worthless from a scientific standpoint.

That's going to be it. I'd go as far as to say that the Android userbase probably just represents a larger cross-section of the population at large (there are far more Android devices out there than iPhones), whereas the iPhone is going to be exclusively the richer people. Duh.

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 03:53 mag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 22:36:
RE: Windows 9. From my acquaintance at MS, he said they were going back to their roots with Windows 9: a desktop-centric, mouse-driven O/S designed to take full advantage of the power of the modern PC.

However, once the smart-watch got released, they scrapped it and started from scratch, deciding they needed to get desktop users used to the vagaries of the smart-watch O/S. Thus Windows 10 was born.

That is hilarious and disappointing and so entirely Microsoft if true.

2445 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo