Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2397 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 12, 2013, 21:45 mag

Ken Levine personally killed off the BioShock film - here's why

Haven't read the article yet. I will report back with my findings.

Pre-speculation: The suits wanted to make it a buddy film about some guys in an above-ground city in the future fighting virus-caused zombies.

Edit:

Well that was boring. Levine just didn't like the movie Intacto, and he thought $80M wasn't enough money.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 00:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
1. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 12, 2013, 21:41 mag

As for the server being required to play the game, he tells them SimCity does no significant game simulation on the server side:

I was pretty skeptical of that claim. It would be absolutely ridiculous for them to take on that amount of processing power themselves. Extremely expensive.

News Comments > Endless Space Free DLC
28. Re: Endless Space Free DLC Mar 12, 2013, 16:53 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 03:38:
mag wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 02:14:
wonkawonka wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 01:57:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:35:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:18:
If I get 8 hours out of it I will have gotten my money back. Think I paid $10 for it.

You'll certainly get 8 hours out of it. I got out 20 before getting fed-up. Not a bad deal really... there are a lot worse games.

Exactly my thoughts. And similarly, as eRe4s3r so eloquently stated, my biggest issues with the game are that:

• The challenges remain the same through a game (from exploration to extermination)

• War is uninteresting because military advances are simply more of the same

• The challenges remain the same across races

• So basically, you've played it once you've played it all.

I guess the question I care about is: How does it compare to Galactic Civilizations 2, or Master of Orion 2?

It has worse problems than those 2 The real question is, did you enjoy MOO2? Then you will enjoy Endless Space for a few hours. Until you discover what's beneath. If you enjoyed GalCiv 2 a lot more than MOO2 you might not like this at all. Gal Civ 2 is more like civilization and has plenty of things to discover. This is not what Endless Space is. As streamlined as it is, Endless Space was sand-blasted to total streamlined'ness in such a way that NOTHING is new after you played through once at most twice. You would have it worse than we who own it now for a year since we got some "DLC" content that added more stuff. But you will discover ALL of it in at best 2 playthroughs. Endless Space never surprised you with clever ideas or a game mechanic that is ground breaking. It is the same.

Heck, we should make a new rating system for 4x games with only 2 ratings. FRESH and SAME and Endless Space is a 100% SAME rating.

Well, imo of course... there are plenty people who like Endless Space but I doubt they would like Gal Civ 2 or Space Empires 4.. or MOO2 or even MOO3 (which isn't as terribad as people claim..)

Thanks for the comparisons.

I liked MOO2 just fine back in the day--and I liked being able to control the combat. I like GalCiv 2 too, obviously.

People may be interested in this one. It's gotten some, but very little, press here. Dunno how it'll turn out, but it's on my radar. I hear the alpha is pretty playable.

http://starlords-game.com/main/

News Comments > Endless Space Free DLC
    15. Re: Endless Space Free DLC Mar 12, 2013, 02:14 mag

wonkawonka wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 01:57:
    eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:35:
    jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:18:
    If I get 8 hours out of it I will have gotten my money back. Think I paid $10 for it.

You'll certainly get 8 hours out of it. I got out 20 before getting fed-up. Not a bad deal really... there are a lot worse games.

Exactly my thoughts. And similarly, as eRe4s3r so eloquently stated, my biggest issues with the game are that:

• The challenges remain the same through a game (from exploration to extermination)

• War is uninteresting because military advances are simply more of the same

• The challenges remain the same across races

• So basically, you've played it once you've played it all.

I guess the question I care about is: How does it compare to Galactic Civilizations 2, or Master of Orion 2?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 12, 2013, 01:42 mag

Fion wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 15:48:
    Haha I invite anyone who thought the broadband situation in the UK is terrible to spend one month in the US using our typical Broadband via Time Warner Cable or Comcast.

I guarantee you'll go home a month later and never bitch about your telecom situation ever again.

And for a while US broadband was superior to British broadband in every way. And then... bleh.

News Comments > Op Ed
    29. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 10, 2013, 14:00 mag

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 00:37:
    Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 00:19:
    HorrorScope wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 23:04:
    Is March Madness Brackets of the Worst Companies coming up? I think they secured 1rst place this year. Gratz.

I wonder if anyone's ever won 2 years in a row?

edit: no.

2006 - Halliburton - 2nd: Choicepoint
    2007 - RIAA - 2nd: Halliburton
    2008 - Countrywide Financial - 2nd: Comcast
    2009 - AIG - 2nd: Comcast
    2010 - Comcast - 2nd: Cash4Gold
    2011 - BP - 2nd: Bank of America
    2012 - Electronic Arts - 2nd: Bank of America

It'll be interesting if they win again, after everyone screamed "EA? Really?" last year...

As terrible as EA is, they are nowhere near as evil as the most evil companies. They just make their own video games terrible. It's not like they laundered almost a billion dollars of drug money.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update
    19. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 13:37 mag

briktal wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 11:26:
    I'm still not sure why this game is supposed to be good. It's a second big RPG being worked on by a developer that's made 1 decent game, 1 bad game, and 1 failed and cancelled game in 10 years.

Because the individuals involved have worked on the best games in the genre, and it's supposed to be a successor to one of the most-loved. Leap of faith that we might get to experience something like what Black Isle would have put out if it had stuck around.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
    44. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 15:10 mag

Proooobably not going to chip in for this one, as I've got a bunch of KS games I'm waiting for, but absolutely best of luck to it. Show us you've still got it, LB!  

News Comments > Co-op a "Big Focus" of Diablo III 1.0.8
    10. Re: Co-op a Mar 8, 2013, 06:23 mag

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 05:58:
    According to this comment section, 8/8 people do not like Diablo III.

Diablo III did not get my whites whiter or my colors brighter, and it corroded the lid of my machine.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    46. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 12:39 mag

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:46:
    Hey, can someone point out a time to me that a big game launched on Steam and the servers were overwhelmed and crapped out?

Dude, every single time TF2 has a major update, Steam dies for a day.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play
    15. Re: Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play Mar 7, 2013, 12:37 mag

Darks wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:04:
    After watching that video for Wasteland, I have no doubt they are going to use that same engine for this game.

...duh? Of course they're going to reuse the tech and knowledge they got from working on Wasteland 2.

Im going to call it now, this game will not come close to being what the original was and is.

Possible, because few sequels ever do, but is this related to the first statement?

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
    150. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 7, 2013, 00:45 mag

El Pit wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 00:16:
    Redmask wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:00:
    Planescape Torment was a good story but the actual gameplay was awful, I'll be cautiously optimistic about this but I'm not going to help fund it, seems like they have plenty of money already.

That's two under their belt, let's see some products now.

Same here. Hate me all you want, but I didn't enjoy READING Planescape Torment. I might give it a chance after it's been released based on reviews, though.

I'm guessing you won't like this one either. A couple million won't hire voice actors for a few hundred pages of dialogue. Just based on what they've shown of Wasteland 2, there is going to be a ton of reading.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 18:05 mag

PHJF wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:04:
    ...someone who can't follow the most basic and oft repeated rule of avoiding personal attacks here.

Well that covers roughly 90% of current posters.

I blame rap music.

I blame Zoidberg.

News Comments > Another BF2142 Sequel Hint?
    21. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 13:29 mag

The brown filter made BF3 unplayable for me. I'm not color blind or anything, but it was super difficult to differentiate between people from the background.

And the character movement felt all wonky. That's a technical term.

News Comments > Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film
    2. Re: Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film Mar 5, 2013, 22:03 mag

Blizzard sucks version: They couldn't figure out how to fit the RMAH or always-online into a movie.

Hollywood sucks version: Raimi and the other guy probably wrote a movie about an American kid named John that had to fight aliens that looked like orcs and elves.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2013, 18:14 mag

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:13:
    Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:57:
    SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:11:
    EA CTO talks about the "Big Data" that their online games are generating and what they are doing with it. More of an architecture discussion for handling big data sets than anything else, but thought that some here might find it interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK_PXlbvOfM

I wish people would still offer transcripts. I can read much faster than people can talk, but yet nowadays all these things make me sit through videos...

Creston

Youtube has a built in Transcripts option. It is next to "About", "Share" and "Add To". It is the little icon that looks like a drop down menu.

So, so useful.

so that changes everything we are not being able to collect so much of the inside on the game itself the gameplay and the game are that we have to rethink all of fundamentalism shins off the past again like battlefield for example now on a typical day generates or one tera bytes of data from all the time to meet really have about

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2013, 15:10 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 14:47:
    Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 14:00:
    Holy shitsnacks! They've cured AIDS!!!

Holy... shit. That is incredible. I'm sitting here, reading this article, with my jaw hanging below my desk...

Creston
    Not a cure. This is not something they can just do to people. They just have one example that it may be possible to protect infants from their mothers' HIV if they're immediately stuck on the usual HIV antiretroviral treatment after birth. No new drugs or treatments involved, aside from having the opportunity to do it so early.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2013, 01:05 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 22:40:
    No we can't

Eh. One of many.

We can do it. We need to detect and predict early. We need more sky mapping.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2013, 18:35 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 13:55:
    Yeah, don't do that, Blue.

If the grinder in your sink is powerful enough you could grind them first, but even that's iffy...

As for "How could we stop a meteor hitting Earth": We can't. Well, we could if it was a small size, and we were fortunate enough that one of our ICBMs was in the right place at the right time to plan an interception, AND we somehow figure that having a nuke detonate in our atmosphere is better than being hit by a relatively small asteroid.

Any asteroid over several hundred meters in size would likely be dense enough that it would just break up from the blast, in which case we have multiple chunks headed for earth rather than one big chunk. That might make a difference, I guess. Not sure. Is the energy from one massive impact more than the energy from three slightly less massive impacts? I was never that good at physics...

That Project Snooker thing is fucking AWESOME. I'm pretty great at pool / snooker, but I quickly get out of my depth if I have to go off more than one cushion. That thing would be AWESOME to train with. Dear genius person who developed this: Please put this on Amazon so I can buy it, mmkay?

Creston

We can absolutely deflect an asteroid, with enough lead time, and the actual solutions discussed rarely involve 'blow it up'. That's... even kind of what the article you responded to explained.

Anyway. Lots of solutions. Fire a(n extremely) powerful laser at it for a few years. Land a bunch of super-efficient ion drives on it and slowly nudge it away. Put a large object near it and let gravity tug it.

With enough time, it just takes a very tiny nudge.

Edit: But something really big that's going to hit us tomorrow? We are SOL. That's why it's important to put more money into our sky surveys. I'm kind of horrified at the level of ignorance about are current capabilities. People were claiming that we had mapped every large-ish rock that might come by Earth some day. No. No. NO.

I read an estimate from a scientist that actually works on that kinda thing, and he said that we had maybe 90% of the really really big rocks. And that doesn't get into the ones that could crush a city, or the ones that fly in from further out in the solar system.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 18:40.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance Likely a Film Title
    17. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance Likely a Film Title Mar 2, 2013, 10:50 mag

Don't be so down, guys. It could be every bit as good as the first Mortal Kombat.  

2397 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 30.
    < Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo