Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2282 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling
4. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 21:40 mag

This is an overly-critical over-analysis from me. But when a game dev starts worrying this much about the 'branding' of an in-game mechanism that has existed in the series under that name for over ten years--trouble is a-brewin'.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 8, 2013, 21:12 mag

The Dreamcast was pretty amazing. Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Soul Reaver, Rez, Bangai-O, Ikaruga, Skies of Arcadia...  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 8, 2013, 05:16 mag

I would personally easily take a Win8 tablet over an iPad, if they were free. The iPad wouldn't fit in at all with what I use computers for. The Win8 (Pro) tablet would at least have a chance of being useful.

But realistically, I wouldn't spend money on either one.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2013, 05:09 mag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 22:04:
I agree with Oro. What could be so revolutionary that it requires 4 cores as standard? Brad, give us a clue (Brad sometimes hangs out here)! And given the lead time it takes to bring these to market, now is the time to get started, no?

I was playing SupCom:FA last night. Such an awesome game. So many tactical and strategic possibilities. Brad, if you read this, maybe you could hire Chris Taylor? He might need a job soon.

BTW, my hat is off to Stardock for keeping the strategy candle burning with games like Fallen Enchantress, Sins, and Gal Civ.

Consider how bogged down SupCom and FA got in late game with a couple thousand units. It becomes almost unplayable at times as units can't figure out how to get where they're supposed to be. Simulation speed drops to a crawl even on current processors. Even to perfect what we had years ago would require a game that could fully utilize a multicore processor. SupCom was only weakly multithreaded, didn't support 64-bit memory addressing, and suffered pretty greatly from both.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 6, 2013, 19:47 mag

Fantaz wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 17:20:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 10:20:
And we think EA is bad at shutting games down:

"Zynga is closing down three of the six titles it launched last quarter following their disappointing performance, the company announced in a financial call today.

Facebook games Cityville 2 and The Friend Game didn't make the cut. Neither did the mobile release, Party Place."

The world will be a better place without Zynga in it. They're worse than EA.

With the amount of money Zynga has, they're not going to be leaving any time soon. They can never lose a huge amount of money because they just do cheap mobile games with minimal loses, and don't have to worry about funding big triple 'A' expensive next-gen titles.

They have lost $600M over the past two years.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
38. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 6, 2013, 16:00 mag

PHJF wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 16:29:
I never said they did, it was just an interesting piece of information. If I lived in England I'd probably have killed myself by now, too. Blimey!

Hahaha. Good point.

News Comments > Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?
11. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 15:59 mag

deqer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:56:
zombiefan wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:23:
and 2. It's JJ Abrams.

Yah, but J.J. Abrams directed Star Trek (2009), and I felt he did a very good job at it.

I really disliked his Star Trek, and I've not cared for anything else I've seen from him. BUT. Half-Life has so little plot already, I could actually see him pull that off. That seems like a good fit.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Feb 2, 2013, 13:45 mag

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 07:43:
RoboNerd wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 22:50:
Anyone have an idea why Disasterpeace would want a photo (it's #9) of Harry Truman in his Masonic apron?

Because it's some sort of statement about the Free Masons I guess? I've never heard of any of those bands before - NiN excepted obviously - some of them aren't bad. I'm not big into electronica but I do enjoy some of it now and then. I still love Daft Punk too.

Never heard of Aphex Twin?

36. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 2, 2013, 12:29 mag

PHJF wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 09:05:
Also, another startling stat: 60% of all gun deaths are suicides.

In England there was a particular problem with a particular pill being used to suicide by overdose. The pill manufacturer switched from selling it by the bottle to selling it in those little individually sealed sheets that are a PITA to open. Suicide rate immediately dropped. Apparently a great many suicides are impulsive and if given a little more time to think about it they will back out.

And yet the UK's suicide rate is about in line with the US's (11.8 per 100,000 vs. 12.0, per Wikipedia), despite the lack of easily-obtainable firearms.

Suicide rates don't really seem to be correlated with a country's gun laws. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 13:42 mag

InBlack wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:52:
Exactly. Adding guns into the mix only makes the whole fucking situation more volatile. People keep mentioning how guns are their right, because they will protect them from an opressive government.

WAKE THE FUCK UP? Do you really think that handguns and rifles will protect you from armored APCs, gunship helicopters, micro drones, tanks, and the whole combined might of the US military if push comes to shove???

Alright. I don't want to get lumped in with the people that think the government is currently a fascist regime intent on blah blah blah etc. I do admit that I think it could happen eventually, though. And I do think an armed populace is somewhat of a defense against it.

It's not that a bunch of civilians with AR-15s and 9mm handguns are going to be able to fight the full force of the military. Obviously. But, having an armed opponent does put the military (or whatever force) into a position where they have to fight, and I think it's probably a tougher sell to tell your military/police/whatever "Shoot your neighbors" than it is to say "douse them with teargas and beanbag rounds, disperse the crowd, arrest dissenters."

5. Re: Time Warner Jacks Rates Up to 17.6% in Los Angeles. Feb 1, 2013, 00:51 mag

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 17:59:
mag wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:03:
nin wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 09:40:
Panickd wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 09:35:
Way to keep the potential cord cutters in the fold there, TW. Bang up job you're doing.

And on the other end we have...

I hate TW, but I do have Internet access through them. The speed boost was nationwide, and had nothing to do with Google Fiber. The price drop certainly did, though, as the rest of the country saw a price increase.

I've had TW for a while now. Not because they are good, or even a good value, but just because the other options suck even worse.

Yup. Ditto. Fiber is offered across the street from me, and I'd switch to it in a heartbeat if I could, but.

3. Re: Time Warner Jacks Rates Up to 17.6% in Los Angeles. Jan 31, 2013, 15:03 mag

nin wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 09:40:
Panickd wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 09:35:
Way to keep the potential cord cutters in the fold there, TW. Bang up job you're doing.

And on the other end we have...

I hate TW, but I do have Internet access through them. The speed boost was nationwide, and had nothing to do with Google Fiber. The price drop certainly did, though, as the rest of the country saw a price increase.

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 30, 2013, 22:26 mag

I have UPnP enabled, but it says mine isn't vulnerable. Meh!  

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta
1. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Jan 30, 2013, 01:51 mag

These are also the drivers that are supposed to fix the frame latency thing, aren't they?  

News Comments > Morning Q&As
4. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 29, 2013, 14:33 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 14:16:
Good interview with Cliffy B. I like his insight on shooters: CoD linearity sucks, but FC3 and Dishonored rock b/c player choice, more open worldy.

...did he play his own games?

News Comments > New Wildman Video; Tiers
14. Re: New Wildman Video; Tiers Jan 29, 2013, 01:10 mag

Lord Tea wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 18:50:
This is going to be the end of Gas Powered Games. As sad as it is, I just can't support a game that I'm not going to play, ever. Why they took such a risk and came up with an entirely new concept no gamer has heard of before is beyond me. I'd have supported a SupCom 3 Kickstarter or even the mentioned Homeworld idea - just give me something I'm confident you could pull off. Sad!

Same.

But he would have to completely swear off and apologize for SupCom2, at the same time, for me.

News Comments > Morning Previews
18. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 01:07 mag

Axis wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 17:07:
Haha JD, I'll just let the reviews speak for themselves at this point, my job is done!

They're not paying you to let the reviews speak for themselves, man! Get off your butt and evangelize, evangelize, evangelize. Earn that paycheck!

News Comments > Morning Previews
17. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 01:05 mag

Ah. This is an online-only one? Is it going to be F2P, or do you have to pay for it?  

News Comments > Evening Q&As
3. Re: Evening Q&As Jan 29, 2013, 00:58 mag

Orogogus wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 00:15:
Shacknews and Blues seem to want to editorialize DS3's PC port heavily for some reason. DS1 had a pretty glaring mouse control/vsync issue, but did anyone besides shihonage (edit: and Blue, maybe?) have a ton of issues with the DS2 port? Not every game gets a high resolution texture pack.

The DS1 port was so bad--AND NEVER FIXED--that I never even considered checking out DS2 or DS3.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 15:53 mag

SmyTTor wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 09:56:
This may come as a shock, but there are more *nix based operating systems on devices than Windows- by a long shot. Between Apple shit and Android, Windows is a distant third today.

The development of software compatible with the *nix's has mushroomed thanks to gaming on tablets and phones and the streaming of movies and music, the need for apps. The strong points of linux really allowed it to take off with smart phones. Small, efficient, reliable, open source. Hell, my universal remote is linux based~

I predominantly use linux. I like linux. I have an Android phone.

Android phones do not, should not, count as linux. Yes, somewhere deep inside Google abomination there is a modified linux kernel, but that's like saying the Xbox ran WinXP.

2282 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo