Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2398 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2013, 14:49 mag

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 14:05:
I've noticed recently that I can no longer focus on objects closer than 12 inches away. The optometrist says that this is normal: the eye lens thickens as you age, so the focal length increases. I wonder if I'd even be able to use Oculus Rift, or if I'd have to use corrective lenses of some kind.

Your eye won't be focusing at the actual distance of the screen. There'll be lenses and such so that you're actually focusing quite a bit further away.

Edit: I mean, I'm assuming. I can't imagine that they're expecting people to focus at 5"...

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2013, 15:10.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2013, 14:47 mag

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 14:29:
Sounds like they may have arrested the bomber.

CNN is trying to outdo the NY Post in posting incorrect information. Administration is saying that no one has been arrested.

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Multiplayer Footage
15. Re: Rise of the Triad Multiplayer Footage Apr 16, 2013, 18:38 mag

Character models/animations/whatevers kinda look funny in the game world, but it looks like a blast. Sooooold.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 18:28 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 18:25:
Do Not Touch. Thanks nin via Kotaku (NSFW).

One of the coolest things on the internet in a long time.

What's it supposed to do? Not working in any of my browsers.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 16, 2013, 18:20 mag

"Google Glass specs arrive, the screen is equivalent to a 25-inch monitor in front of your face..." at 8 feet, it goes on to say.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 15, 2013, 23:52 mag

I think we long ago established that I am obviously not a member of any target market, apparently, but I would grab a Wii U for the right price. There is a lot of potential there, even if it's never realized. The system is ripe for a console-centric RPG w/ Dungeon Master.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 16:38 mag

Oh my god the New Yorkers. "This was meant for us, guys! We're the most important! Boston was their second choice!  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 19:38 mag

Tanto Edge wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 15:19:
Oh is this the same 'supreme court' that said it's illegal to sue Monsanto?
Oh that one. Lucky Americans with all that freedom.
Supreme court. Y'know North Korea has a supreme leader, eh?
Yeah how about them supreme beings and entities.

What.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 14, 2013, 04:20 mag

Panickd wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 10:41:
apeman wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 05:26:
Oh Cliffy.... that was a pretty pathetic attempt at defending Adam Orth, just because you know someone who knows someone who claims he's a good guy.
"Deal with it", you say. Yet you have totally failed to explain just what these supposed advantages of always-on would be? For the gamers that is, not for the gaming companies...

Consoles (and TVs, cable boxes, tablets, PCs, and pretty much everything else needed for a modern life) are moving towards an "always online" future whether some people want it that way or not. Benefits? Always having the latest updates which add new functionality and stability to whatever the product is and cloud capabilities like Apple's Siri or Google's Now functionality just to name a couple. It's coming even if you don't want it and it's coming even if you will never use it. Why? Because companies don't care what you, as an individual, want. They're aiming for the masses and the masses want to always be online, no matter what they're doing, even if it makes absolutely no sense. By making products that have the features and functionality that most of the population wants companies will sell more products. If that doesn't appeal to you then you aren't their market and they don't give a flying cowchip about what you want. And yes that means some people in rural markets will be left behind, but most people don't live in rural markets, do they?

tl;dr: Suck it up, Buttercup. It's happening.

What are you talking about? All of those things are already capable of phoning home for updates whenever they want, and none of them require you to be online at all times to function.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 04:13 mag

OpticNerve wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 02:01:
Creston wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 01:36:
I bought seasons one and two of Spartacus when they were on sale. Watched the first episode and put it away in a deep, dark closet somewhere. I don't mind stylized stuff, but their combat was just blatantly ridiculous. It made 300 seem like a factual documentary on the horrors of melee combat.

I take it from the comments that the story actually does get better?

Creston

It definitely does. Took a few episodes before the cast and writers started getting into their groove and bit by bit, it slowly started turning from a cheesy 300-wannabe ripoff with a lot of T&A to an awesome show with memorable characters, an addictive plotline and engaging cast. With a lot of T&A still

The action always stays stylized but it gets better as they start using less CGI'd blood and constant slow-mo shots and the choreography gets more solid with some very cool combat scenes. If you don't like the comic bookish nature of the fighting scenes then that won't change your mind but dammit they're just badass IMO:

http://timgonzales.com/excess/fyeah.gif

http://timgonzales.com/excess/gifs/bullet-time-spartacus.gif

http://timgonzales.com/excess/gifs/barrel-roll.gif

None of your links work.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC "Half-Assed" - PC Prioritized for Sequel
73. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 23:40 mag

Prez wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 23:21:
I can deal with shitty ports of good games as long as workarounds exist. I can deal with playing with a controller - I own 2 for driving and arcade games on PC. The biggest reason I have avoided Dark Souls up to this point is that I become easily frustrated with difficult games. One that wears its punishing difficulty like a badge of honor is like garlic to a vampire for me.

It is... difficult, but not in that you need to have skill, in the end, to beat it. Skill and timing can definitely get you there, but so can armor, a shield, and just planning what to do. The game isn't nice to you if you mess up, though.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 12, 2013, 21:31 mag

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 20:52:
Dear lord I thought he was already dead. Genius does not even describe this man's talents.

Fark's headline: Jonathan Winters Was Still Alive

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 12, 2013, 16:02 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 14:52:
Serious Question: Do you feel it is a good time to invest in AMD? $2.50/stock.

I'm much more a fan of buying cheap stock so you can actually make it big. For example buying Ford in 2009 for $1 and selling it 18 months later for $12... That is well over the conservative 10% investment, more like 1200%.

I ask because they will own the console HW scene, and I can't imagine Sony/MS going in bed with them with the worry of going under.

The difference is that Ford was obviously a healthy company that got dragged down by being associated with the other US auto companies. I knew that at the time, and I'm still kicking myself over not buying F.

AMD on the other hand... is not looking so good. They might be able to come back, and I want them to, but it's looking like a gamble. They can't hold onto their talent or their CEOs, they don't have any new graphics tech coming out until 2014, even their optimistic roadmap doesn't have their processors matching parity with Intel for years yet...

52. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 15:47 mag

Jivaro wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 15:35:
Funny how you only seem to be defend your position by degrading others in some fashion. Your opinion seems to be the only one of worth, people must use their money and play their games as you think they should, and if someone has another opinion or preference not only are they wrong but there is some larger problem in the world they are contributing to by having thinking in that way.

Seriously man, that is so completely loony. It does however explain what I was asking, so thank you for that.

I think Darks was also the one that violently defended SupCom2, The Console RTS For Consoles But Okay I Guess PC Too.

34. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 12:52 mag

Creston wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 10:55:
Oh, so NOW it's half-assed? Funny, when you'd just finished the port, you swore up and down it had been a great job, and all the half-assery was just because it was "impossible" to do more than 720p and 30fps.

So now you're saying you were just lying? Well, I'm more than inclined to believe your promises that the next one will be better then. Rolleyes

Also, wait until the next consoles are out, and this clown will immediately change his tune again.

Stop buying shitty ports, people.

Creston

Uh. They said even before release that it wasn't going to be very good, that they had a lot of difficulties because of their lack of experience with the PC. I don't recall them ever saying higher than 720p was impossible (that was definitely them being lazy), but I'd believe it about the 30fps.

The DSfix that increased the frame rate to 60fps changed how far you could jump and roll and made it likely that you would fall through the map. The frame rate was obviously tied pretty tightly to the game physics and collision detection.

It's a bad port. But it is still the best version of the game.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 20:54 mag

Why Mark Zuckerberg cares about immigration reform.

Because foreigners are cheap, and he doesn't want to pay for US labor. Duh.

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
60. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 17:18 mag

Creston wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 16:32:
mag wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 15:00:
I am still suspicious of it, though. Because I know that one day (and it is likely quite a long way in the future), either Valve will sell it to Ubi/EA/Actiblizzard, they themselves will become worse than the publishers, or they'll just go out of business.

None of those have anywhere near the money to buy Steam. I think in order to get Valve to even listen you need to start coming up with at least 5 to 10 billion dollars. Really the only player big enough anymore to outright buy Steam would be Microsoft, and investing so heavily in a PC/Linux platform would be diametrically opposed to their entire (retarded) current business strategy. Also, Ubi and EA are investing in their own platform, so it makes no sense for them to buy Steam.

My biggest worry used to be fucking Gamestop buying Steam, but Steam has grown way too big.

And all of those games that I own license through Steam will become useless.

Not really. Download cracks for them and they'll still play absolutely fine. The only thing you'd really lose is the ability to download them, and the auto-patches.

I just keep an offline copy of all my games available, patched to the latest/almost latest version, just for such a scenario.

But I don't think it's really all that likely anymore. Steam is so succesful that it'd be crazy for anyone to buy it and then immediately kill it off. It'd literally be more worthwhile to just take a billion dollars and set it on fire.

Creston

It's just the progression of things. Gabe is 50. Eventually he's not going to want to do this stuff anymore, and he's going to want to get out. Same for the others with ownership stake. Either Valve will be sold wholesale, or it'll go public and eventually turn into your typical corporate structure.

Once it goes public, or becomes owned by a public company, it will go to shit. I really think it would be absolutely impossible for the leadership at Valve to change without causing fundamental damage to the way the company functions.

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
39. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 15:00 mag

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 10:04:
Techie714 wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 09:54:
I'm so done with people bitching about Steam, it's my opinion you're not even a serious gamer if you don't have Steam. Considering like 80-90% of all games released are on Steam. Steam has pretty much been the standard now for many years.

Exactly. And seeing as you can play offline I don't see what the problem is. Honestly, I think the people who hate Steam are those ultra-paranoid conspiracy kooks. I'm grateful Steam exists. It makes things easy and cheap. Anyway, even though I'm not happy with the stylized look of the mobs I'm hoping the rest of the gameplay makes up for it.

I use Steam, have many games through Steam, etc. etc.

I am still suspicious of it, though. Because I know that one day (and it is likely quite a long way in the future), either Valve will sell it to Ubi/EA/Actiblizzard, they themselves will become worse than the publishers, or they'll just go out of business.

And all of those games that I own license through Steam will become useless.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 13:55 mag

I love the cicada emergences. We get our next one next year. They are the dumbest, clumsiest insects out there. Can not fly straight, and if they bump something flop onto their backs and can't get back up. Birds swoop through the clouds, feasting like kings. And the non locals scream and run from the utterly-harmless, completely stupid bugs. It's amazing.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Newscorp eh? Apr 8, 2013, 16:04 mag

Bard wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 15:39:
In other words, they want to fill Hulu with propaganda news flashes.

Rupert Murdoch is the foremost propagandist of modern times, Goebbels had NOTHING on him.

Hulu is already (jointly) owned by News Corp. Peter Chernin is the man that is bidding $500M, not Murdoch.

2398 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo