Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2308 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 12:39 mag

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:46:
Hey, can someone point out a time to me that a big game launched on Steam and the servers were overwhelmed and crapped out?

Dude, every single time TF2 has a major update, Steam dies for a day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play
15. Re: Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play Mar 7, 2013, 12:37 mag

Darks wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:04:
After watching that video for Wasteland, I have no doubt they are going to use that same engine for this game.

...duh? Of course they're going to reuse the tech and knowledge they got from working on Wasteland 2.

Iím going to call it now, this game will not come close to being what the original was and is.

Possible, because few sequels ever do, but is this related to the first statement?

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
150. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 7, 2013, 00:45 mag

El Pit wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 00:16:
Redmask wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:00:
Planescape Torment was a good story but the actual gameplay was awful, I'll be cautiously optimistic about this but I'm not going to help fund it, seems like they have plenty of money already.

That's two under their belt, let's see some products now.

Same here. Hate me all you want, but I didn't enjoy READING Planescape Torment. I might give it a chance after it's been released based on reviews, though.

I'm guessing you won't like this one either. A couple million won't hire voice actors for a few hundred pages of dialogue. Just based on what they've shown of Wasteland 2, there is going to be a ton of reading.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 18:05 mag

PHJF wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:04:
...someone who can't follow the most basic and oft repeated rule of avoiding personal attacks here.

Well that covers roughly 90% of current posters.

I blame rap music.

I blame Zoidberg.

News Comments > Another BF2142 Sequel Hint?
21. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 13:29 mag

The brown filter made BF3 unplayable for me. I'm not color blind or anything, but it was super difficult to differentiate between people from the background.

And the character movement felt all wonky. That's a technical term.

News Comments > Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film
2. Re: Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film Mar 5, 2013, 22:03 mag

Blizzard sucks version: They couldn't figure out how to fit the RMAH or always-online into a movie.

Hollywood sucks version: Raimi and the other guy probably wrote a movie about an American kid named John that had to fight aliens that looked like orcs and elves.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2013, 18:14 mag

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:13:
Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:57:
SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:11:
EA CTO talks about the "Big Data" that their online games are generating and what they are doing with it. More of an architecture discussion for handling big data sets than anything else, but thought that some here might find it interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK_PXlbvOfM

I wish people would still offer transcripts. I can read much faster than people can talk, but yet nowadays all these things make me sit through videos...

Creston

Youtube has a built in Transcripts option. It is next to "About", "Share" and "Add To". It is the little icon that looks like a drop down menu.

So, so useful.

so that changes everything we are not being able to collect so much of the inside on the game itself the gameplay and the game are that we have to rethink all of fundamentalism shins off the past again like battlefield for example now on a typical day generates or one tera bytes of data from all the time to meet really have about

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2013, 15:10 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 14:47:
Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 14:00:
Holy shitsnacks! They've cured AIDS!!!

Holy... shit. That is incredible. I'm sitting here, reading this article, with my jaw hanging below my desk...

Creston
Not a cure. This is not something they can just do to people. They just have one example that it may be possible to protect infants from their mothers' HIV if they're immediately stuck on the usual HIV antiretroviral treatment after birth. No new drugs or treatments involved, aside from having the opportunity to do it so early.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2013, 01:05 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 22:40:
No we can't

Eh. One of many.

We can do it. We need to detect and predict early. We need more sky mapping.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2013, 18:35 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 13:55:
Yeah, don't do that, Blue.

If the grinder in your sink is powerful enough you could grind them first, but even that's iffy...

As for "How could we stop a meteor hitting Earth": We can't. Well, we could if it was a small size, and we were fortunate enough that one of our ICBMs was in the right place at the right time to plan an interception, AND we somehow figure that having a nuke detonate in our atmosphere is better than being hit by a relatively small asteroid.

Any asteroid over several hundred meters in size would likely be dense enough that it would just break up from the blast, in which case we have multiple chunks headed for earth rather than one big chunk. That might make a difference, I guess. Not sure. Is the energy from one massive impact more than the energy from three slightly less massive impacts? I was never that good at physics...

That Project Snooker thing is fucking AWESOME. I'm pretty great at pool / snooker, but I quickly get out of my depth if I have to go off more than one cushion. That thing would be AWESOME to train with. Dear genius person who developed this: Please put this on Amazon so I can buy it, mmkay?

Creston

We can absolutely deflect an asteroid, with enough lead time, and the actual solutions discussed rarely involve 'blow it up'. That's... even kind of what the article you responded to explained.

Anyway. Lots of solutions. Fire a(n extremely) powerful laser at it for a few years. Land a bunch of super-efficient ion drives on it and slowly nudge it away. Put a large object near it and let gravity tug it.

With enough time, it just takes a very tiny nudge.

Edit: But something really big that's going to hit us tomorrow? We are SOL. That's why it's important to put more money into our sky surveys. I'm kind of horrified at the level of ignorance about are current capabilities. People were claiming that we had mapped every large-ish rock that might come by Earth some day. No. No. NO.

I read an estimate from a scientist that actually works on that kinda thing, and he said that we had maybe 90% of the really really big rocks. And that doesn't get into the ones that could crush a city, or the ones that fly in from further out in the solar system.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 18:40.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance Likely a Film Title
17. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance Likely a Film Title Mar 2, 2013, 10:50 mag

Don't be so down, guys. It could be every bit as good as the first Mortal Kombat.  

News Comments > On Diablo III's Future
19. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 2, 2013, 05:04 mag

God, I hate Diablo 3. When dry it shreds your mouth, but the instant you put it in milk it turns into soggy mush.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Details and Screenshots
26. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Details and Screenshots Mar 1, 2013, 17:04 mag

Redmask wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 16:22:
Quinn wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 16:01:
You don't understand this point. That says more about you than your implication that I'm being vague or whatever.

What a smarmy little brat you are. You've seen a very limited amount of game content and if all you took from it was 'too much snow, been there done that' then there is no pleasing you. The Witcher 3 is now set in the amazon rain forest, baby all better now?

Girls, girls. You're both pretty.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 15:17 mag

DG wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 12:31:
Well, this is timely!

I need to replace my MX510 which was excellent but has suffered enough (too much, evidently).

I had been thinking the G500. Surprised at the comment that G400 > G500? It looked like the G500 was a straight upgrade from G400 with higher DPI, what looked like slightly better build quality plus two additional buttons - plus variable DPI and weights, which admittedly I hadn't been looking forward to fiddling about with.

edit: I can also find a G9x, albeit for twice the price of the G400.

No one's brought it up yet I think, but I have a G700. I love it. Takes standard rechargeable AA batteries instead of the proprietary G7 ones. Comes with rechargeable eneloops, even.

The only thing I fear is that the micro-USB connector (like all micro-USB connectors) just looks like it should break eventually, but I've had it for a year and a half and it is just as tight and solid a fit as ever.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 03:07 mag

PropheT wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 02:34:
The PS4 interface they showed at the reveal looked a lot like the current store you see on the PS3, which sort of reminds me of the ad-covered TV screens they had in Idiocracy.

I definitely would not want it for the console's UI itself (I much prefer the relatively simple PS3 one to something like the 360), but the new PSN store is about a million times better than the old store.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 05:08 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 03:02:
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom."

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Our current problem in Minnesota - one of the nations welfare havens:
"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

And most importantly:
"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. "

Dude what?

News Comments > War of the Roses Free Weekend; Patch
6. Re: War of the Roses Free Weekend; Patch Feb 28, 2013, 02:56 mag

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 23:55:
Okay, so people in NA? Majority of Americans (using major ISPs), and pretty much all Canadians have bandwidth caps. Feel sorry for those neighbors up north, they also get fucked on their mobile data plans...

US-American, here, and none of the local ISPs have data caps.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance TMed
25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance TMed Feb 27, 2013, 19:05 mag

J wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 18:46:
In the original Deus Ex stealth was tricker. Even the prod had to be used on the lower spine otherwise it required two charges. Knocking out with a baton required melee upgrades and a hit to the head. Miss for whatever reason and follow through too slowly and you risk a lot of heat on you.

Stealth in DX:HR, in my opinion, was easier and more rewarding.

I think the lower spine thing was only a necessity on the MJ12 troopers? I usually stun prodded to the head until then, I think.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 27, 2013, 19:03 mag

John wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:10:
Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:04:
Some teens, just barely of legal age are likely to be tried in adult court.
Does 'barely legal teens' have to be together in the phrase or will they delete even if the words are separated like that?

The derivatives market that tanked the economy was barely legal. Teens would be well served to learn from these mistakes, so that we can avoid it happening again in forty years.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance TMed
22. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance TMed Feb 27, 2013, 16:13 mag

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 15:29:
Also just finished a playthrough recently. Very fun game.

Regarding Stealth-
I've seen this complaint before, that a game that gave you "real choice" would not reward stealth like DR does with XP and easiness. That argument fails to take into account the whole picture. Sure its easier to survive a stealthier entry if you do it correctly, since you pretty much just have to hit q, but you pay in time and patience.

I sort of did a hybrid approach (knowing that I probably wouldn't get to a second playthrough for awhile) where I would sneak around til someone found me and then blast the survivors. Well when the guns came out, I dropped everyone on the level in a matter of minutes. They all run to where you are, there is no respawning enemies, and if you're armed for it the cover system makes you very strong. Too many? Grenades. Hell if you walk away for 30 seconds they forget where you are and you can start over with headshots. You definitely have to be more careful with the shooting but it drastically cuts down on the time you spend in a level.

Regarding Missing Link-
It was weird that it didn't integrate. I think its pretty obvious it was an after thought, as there's 0 callback to it in the game proper.

That being said they did a great job with it. Interesting setting, touches on the best parts of DX with the prisoner exploitation, ties into the main game lore wise very well, and it was super cool to see the "components" in the final boss of the main game.

Edit-
Oh yeah and the Ending-
Well we all know the ending is Deus Ex 1, so they sort of are painted into a corner here. That being said, the approach they took was kind of lazy. If you haven't beaten it yet, time to tamper those expectations down. However everything up to that last second button press is excellent.

Ha. I did a stealth playthrough with the cover and press-this-to-do-cool-stuff buttons disabled. It was kinda tough at times.

2308 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo