Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2317 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Patched
13. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 18, 2013, 05:08 mag

Steviepunk wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 10:25:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:30:
No, GPG has nothing to do with this. Well, I guess it's possible, but Square-Enix owns SupCom. Any new-found resources GPG have gathered elsewhere were not the reason for this patch. Would Chris Taylor get on the phone at this point, and say "Hey Squenix, we're not out of business after all, mind if we do some busy-work on our last game?" I'd think they'd have their hands full with whatever their new owners want them to do...

True, but also possible that Wargaming are wanting GPG to do more on the SupCom line. It's my understanding that most of that patch had been coded some time ago and never approved by Square (though this is going on previous interviews/blog posts that indicated they had changes they wanted to make). If a new deal is in place for GPG to develop SupCom 3, then a little raise of interest in SC2 would be beneficial.
Just speculation though, until something is announced regarding their next game, we know nothing!

SupCom3 will have resourcing and base-building completely removed and allow you to control one command unit in a MOBA-type environment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Soon
5. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Soon Mar 16, 2013, 22:24 mag

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 21:02:
I tried it when it first came out, but it seemed bizarre. I was probably missing a lot, but I couldn't make much sense of it.

Yeah, I messed around with it for a while but couldn't really make heads or tails of it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 22:21 mag

Riker wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 22:07:
Bah, disappointed to hear Whedon's response to the Veronica Mars Kickstarter. The longer he waits...

It's gone, man. Let it go.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 20:06 mag

DangerDog wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:10:
Redmask wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 12:33:
Right now tablets aren't productivity tools, they are media consumption devices. The Surface Pro did nothing to change that and it is prohibitively expensive in this economy.

Still enjoying my $150 HP Touchpad running Android 4.01 mod, it's a nice "media consumption device".

No way in hell would I pay $500+ for a tablet.

You must remember, though, that that $150 Touchpad was a $600 device.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta
2. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Mar 16, 2013, 19:59 mag

Wasn't this supposed to have the rest of the game-agnostic frame latency fixes?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Mar 15, 2013, 05:27 mag

• Retro/Grade is a rhythm game/shmup...

• A déjà vu is usually a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something…

• Rhythm Destruction is a rhythm game/shmup...

• Awesome.

4. Re: etc., etc. Mar 15, 2013, 01:28 mag

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 01:15:
    Every Jeremy Soule track sounds exactly the same -- I swear to god that he cut from his NWN1 tracks and pasted them into Skyrim. Why would I want to fund an album when I can hear the same old shit in every fantasy RPG made since Icewind Dale?

I'm not a mega superfan of his latest stuff, but damn the Total Annihilation soundtrack was amazing. Amazing!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    11. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 23:12 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 14:00:
    InBlack wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 12:01:
    No ridicule intended, the thing is this the dude apparently had sex but quit after college and became a born again virgin...This is all very confusing...

Yeah, that's bullshit. Becoming a Christian doesn't somehow confer the "virgin" status back on you. Then again, I'm sure there's some church somewhere that believes that...

Creston

There was a King of the Hill episode that featured whatshername becoming a virgin again.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2013, 18:58 mag

1badmf wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 12:05:
    InBlack wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:15:
    Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:25:
    So I don't know if there are any Veronica Mars fans here, but if there are... HOLY SHIT!

Creston

I dont know who Veronica Mars is. Is she like one of those fictional overblown pop culture icons like Buffy the Vampire Slayer? (I seriously never heard of this person before)

yeah i never got the appeal either. it was an early 2000s detective-ish show, but frankly i think it never would've blown up if the star wasn't this sweet little blonde that everybody fantasized about dating.

Everything you say is true, but the show really was better than such a description would suggest. It's well-written, well-directed, well-acted.

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
    7. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 13, 2013, 22:38 mag

Go home, SimCity, you're drunk.  

34. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 17:45 mag

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 17:26:
    Every religion has its barbarians, even atheism (Dawkins tends to skirt the line between being one of them.)

Islam is really no different. What is different is that it tends to be common in areas with a much lower literacy rate and no government separation. It becomes a tool to sway the masses. But if you remove Islam those looking for power would find an equally useful crutch.

Again, the problem is not Islam. It's weird that some think it is. Islam, like Christianity, has many different branches, many of which have never inspired violence.

Dawkins is an ass opinionated, but please don't call atheism a religion.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 18:07.

30. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 17:01 mag

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:24:
    mag wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:07:
    If Netflix were one millionth as capable as that article says, it would be able to recommend a show to me I'd actually enjoy. Its recommendation algorithm is absolutely terrible and has an abysmal success rate for me.

Just out of curiosity, what's your alternative? I pretty much ignore the rec engine, and just search for what I want to watch, although on occasion something decent comes up. But yeah, I agree. I watched the first two seasons of Archer last year, but when the new epis were available, it didn't alert me. Also, between stuff I watch and the kids watch, the rec list can give some strange results. Thus I ignore it and just search for what I want.

I use Amazon Instant when something interesting gets added, since I already pay for Prime, and otherwise I just borrow things from the library or find other ways.

Also, to Creston's
    Yeah, but you're just grumpy.

Yes. Yes I am.

But, not as grumpy as Cutter!

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 17:14.

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 17:00 mag

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:13:
    mag wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:07:
    If Netflix were one millionth as capable as that article says, it would be able to recommend a show to me I'd actually enjoy. Its recommendation algorithm is absolutely terrible and has an abysmal success rate for me.

It improves as you watch stuff I've found. My initial recommendations after the questionnaire weren't good but as I picked out and watched things they've improved significantly. You can also just ignore the recommendations and use Instant Queue or instantwatcher.com, assuming the interface is available in your country. Most of the time we just watch stuff from the queue, I only browse when we're in the mood for something new.

I had Netflix for years. I watched and rated tons of things, almost all of which I had to search for myself. I realized a while ago that I reached the point where I was mostly just using it to watch things I had already seen, so I used their change of ToS (binding arbitration clause) as an excuse to dump it.

News Comments > Underrail Trailer; Alpha Released
    5. Re: Underrail Trailer; Alpha Released Mar 13, 2013, 14:27 mag

Necrophob wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:12:
    netnerd85 wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:03:
    Axis wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 12:43:
    This looks more enjoyable than 90% of the AAA games released recently...
    It's also more enjoyable than most of the indie games out there. It's really an awesome game. The music and general atmosphere of the game are unique. Great effort for really only 1 developer

Can't recommend Underrail enough. It needs more love!

How long of a game is it?

It's $10, so... doesn't really have to be all that long to be worth it. I'd be happy with a few quality hours.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 14:07 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:42:
    *looks down. Just shakes head.*

Anyway, that Netflix article is pretty interesting. It makes sense for Netflix to leverage that incredible amount of data they have, and I'm not sure why it's a cause for concern. If Netflix believes in its data strongly enough to commit $100 million on two seasons of a new show before it's even shown a single episode, that's something that we, as viewers, should applaud.

How often have you started watching a show on network television, gotten really hooked, and then had to sit there and watch as the fuckers at BIG NETWORK yanked it after five episodes, because Oh Dear God The Teens Aren't Watching It!

This way, you know that if you watch House of Cards, you get two full seasons at minimum. I would gladly sign up for more of that kind of surety.

As for whether it turns people into puppets or not, well, I guess if you're the kind to just blindly go along with what Netflix tells you to do, sure. That doesn't mean that Netflix has turned you into a puppet, however. It just means you ARE one.

I think it's promising that someone is finally using actual data of people watching, rather than the 50-years-out-of-date fucking Nielsen ratings, to determine what's interesting to people and what isn't.

/wish I could watch Netflix.

Creston

News Comments > Numenera Details
    14. Re: Numenera Details Mar 13, 2013, 04:13 mag

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 02:20:
    nin wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 01:21:
    Have all of these charges hit your checking/credit account?

Nope, sorry, I edited the earlier follow up post. Thankfully they were all on the Amazon side only. I'm thinking they are posting duplicates though I can't remember changing my pledge three times for Eternity or twice for Numenera. Changed my browser settings to block auto log in. Only thing I can figure is when I looked at specific tiers early on the browser kept cookies because I know I didn't pledge multiple times. Either way I'm glad I spotted that now I know to keep an eye on Amazons site.

I'm happy with the look of these projects. Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, and Torment: Tides of Numenera are the pledges I'm most happy with so far. And the three I pledged the most too. Several others are looking like wasted money... even if they did help somebody achieve their dream.

I looked at Shroud of the Avatar again and even with the extra swag update the $150 price point to get the collectors box is just too much for me at this point. If the game looked better or the demos showed a bit more maybe I could be swayed but at this point I'm only willing to get in on the ground floor to give Lord British one more shot at redemption.

edit: Has anyone else here changed their pledges and/or seen multiple postings of bills on Amazon?

All of my charges on Amazon look correct.

3. Re: etc., etc. Mar 13, 2013, 00:37 mag

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 23:18:
    Yeah, sounds like he's pretty protective of his IP. Hard not to fault the studios though after blowing mega cash on both Watchmen and John Carter (looks like Oz will at least break even). I'd go see a Bioshock movie in the theater, but I'm not sure I'm the key demographic. It's not a huge name. I think a Mass Effect movie would have more of a built in audience and name awareness.

Still, I think you could have done Bioshock for $80m with the right director, especially given that most of it takes place indoors. Hunger Games cost that much. District 9 only cost $30 mil to make (and Neil would make a great Bioshock director).

For the record, I think Watchmen is an amazing movie, and I saw it in the theaters (I only go a few times a year).

Making John Carter a $250M movie was... just incredibly stupid of them. You need to test the waters first. Make it on a smaller budget. Build word. Then you have the mega-budget sequel.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2013, 00:33 mag

wallace321 wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 18:57:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_5K0dXg2a8

I was really liking this "The Office" show until, in series 3, episode 10, this gut punch of misogyny irredeemably soured the series for me. It is shocking that such a talented actor would traffic in such a contemptible attitude. I had always liked the show's accurate dry depiction of office life and in this moment it's all reduced to some frat house joke making me ashamed that I ever thought it was more than that in the first place. Maybe it's a show just for the bros.

That's how silly Sessler sounds to me but who am I to fault someone for what they are offended by? (by the way, was that clip slightly more racist than I realized when I first watched it? maybe it should be altered too?)

The Office was terrible.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 22:47 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 22:42:
    mag wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 21:50:
    nin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 17:04:
    I remember the Myth2 un-installer deltree'ing your C:\Windows directory, or something to that effect. That was pretty snazzy.

I think it was one directory up from where ever you installed it. Which, by default was under c:\program files, so that whole folder structure (program files and everything under it) got nuked. Which, as you can imagine, Windows didn't care for.

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't SiN eat hard drives when it was first released?

I think SiN had something in the third level where you drank a potion to turn into a mutant or something, but the effect never wore off for anyone, so it prevented you from going on.

But this is all ages ago, and I'm old. So my memory can probably be referred to as "EA'ish."

Creston

Ha! Didn't remember that one.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 21:50 mag

nin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 17:04:
    I remember the Myth2 un-installer deltree'ing your C:\Windows directory, or something to that effect. That was pretty snazzy.

I think it was one directory up from where ever you installed it. Which, by default was under c:\program files, so that whole folder structure (program files and everything under it) got nuked. Which, as you can imagine, Windows didn't care for.

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't SiN eat hard drives when it was first released?

2317 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 25.
    < Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo