Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2421 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 15:01 mag

Panickd wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:44:
Not sure whatever happened to the whole idea of Free Speech. You know, "I don't support what you say but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it!"? Remember? So important that they made it number 1 on the bill of rights in a country where everyone loves their gun but guns got second billing!

People really need to stop believing that they have the God given right to not be offended. You don't. In fact the whole idea of free speech inherently means that you probably will be offended quite regularly. And the anonymity of the Internet assures that.

Do you see the government coming down on these people? Where is their freedom of speech being limited?

You have the right to freedom of speech. And everyone else has the right to call you out on it. And companies have the right to not provide a platform for you to say it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut Coming to PCs
16. Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut Coming to PCs Jun 12, 2013, 14:51 mag

Panickd wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:38:
That must be what sparked DE:HR as a freebie on the PS+ games list. How is this supposed to be different from a GOTY edition?

As said above,

"Modified boss fights, New Game + mode, and 8 hours of dev commentary, if all the features make it over. Oh, and Missing Link merged into the main game, and not it's own exe."

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2013, 00:01 mag

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 19:38:
Creston wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 17:56:
ALIENWARE DEVELOPS MOST POWERFUL GAMING LAPTOPS IN THE MULTIVERSE
Stephen Hawking Likes this.

Creston

Our Stephen Hawking or the cyborg goatee'd version from the evil alternate dimension in the multiverse?

Man I hope there is a Cyborg Hawking somewhere. Can you imagine how much more he'd be able to do if he had a functioning body?

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding
10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding Jun 11, 2013, 12:52 mag

Bludd wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 12:48:
Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:48:
I still say people are going to get burned on this somehow.
Yeah, you would say that.

I kicked in for a bunch of starters, but something about this one felt sketchy to me too. I'm scared saying this, but I agree with Cutter.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 10, 2013, 21:15 mag

Cutter wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 15:32:
Yeah, that was a good doodle. Sendak was the man!

Colbert's segments with Sendak shortly before his death were great.

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Jun 7, 2013, 22:53 mag

Prez wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 21:24:
I hear the debate about capital punishment all the time, but it always seems to crop up in cases like the Ramirez one, where there is absolutely zero doubt of the person's guilt, which is baffling to me. Regardless of how you feel about the death penalty, can anyone here argue that Ramirez has a chance of being exonerated by DNA or witnesses coming forward? He is PROUD of the ghastly murders and crimes he has committed, and has said so in more than one interview. There are some cases (like this one) where guilt is just a no-brainer.

If you are against capital punishment in all cases, fine, but if you are simply worried about putting an innocent man to death (which is obviously a noble concern), what you should be pushing for is a better set of guidelines when and how capital punishment should be used.

How do you differentiate between the without-a-shadow-of-a-doubt cases and the pretty-damn-sure-but-not-positive cases? People confess to things they didn't do all the time.

Edit: And really, what is the argument for not just locking them away for the rest of their lives, on the off chance that they do something productive with their time in there or that they may be innocent? It is cheaper to stick someone in prison for life than it is to go for the death penalty, because the system is set up, in general, to give them every opportunity to appeal.

It does society no good to kill a person, unless that is the only way to protect society from them.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2013, 23:03.

7. Re: Into the Black Jun 7, 2013, 21:20 mag

Cutter wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 21:10:
Death penalty needs to come back with a vengeance. Do it like China. Drag them out back of the courthouse after the trial, shoot them, bill the family, dump the body in a landfill.

Go to China.

News Comments > Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition for PC
12. Re: Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition for PC Jun 6, 2013, 17:01 mag

Beelzebud wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 15:01:
Is it really too much to ask for a Symphony of the Night style game, but with a modern engine?

Apparently. D:

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 6, 2013, 15:43 mag

Creston wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 11:34:
It's quite interesting to see how when Bush did this everyone was screaming bloody murder, but now that Obama is taking it far further than Bush ever did, it's pretty much silence across the board.

I was pissed when Bush did it, and I'm extra pissed now, and so are most of the other people I know. The "Mainstream Media" everywhere is picking up the NSA story.

Obama had gotten cut some slack on some of the spying for a while because there wasn't already a deep ocean of anger at him from the left, but I've seen plenty of people bring it up with unfavorable things to say. In fact, it's been Democrats that have been bringing it to light. I can't recall any Republicans calling Bush out on it.

News Comments > Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition for PC
8. Re: Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition for PC Jun 6, 2013, 12:06 mag

I loved earlier Castlevanias, and picked this up on a recommendation from a friend despite my reservations.

It's awful. You get thrown into a tiny arena and beat up like twenty guys, full of QTEs, and then a cutscene happens, and you get tossed into another tiny arena, and you do it again. You can not control the camera at all, AFAIK, so you always have to fight on one side of the arena or you won't be able to see any of the monsters 'behind' the camera. It was like getting thrown back into the late 90s with non-Nintendo attempts at 3d gaming.

After coming from other modern third person games (notably Dark Souls lately, of course), it was infuriating.

News Comments > Deus Ex: The Fall Falls Off Our Radar
13. Re: Deus Ex: The Fall Falls Off Our Radar Jun 5, 2013, 12:50 mag

Nobody asked for this. Veryangry  

News Comments > Dark Souls II Next March
55. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 5, 2013, 00:20 mag

fiftykyu wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 21:38:
Wow, lot of strong feelings about this game. It does seem to be the sort of game that people want to evangelise, i.e. if you like it, you really like it. My copy was a random gift from someone who loved the game and wanted to spread it around, luckily I also enjoyed it. Gave away two myself so far with one resulting in a "shrug" and the other a "praise the sun" to use the Dark Souls lingo.

With only a PC for gaming nowadays I do regret missing out on Demon's Souls, since apparently there are various callbacks to that game sprinkled about in Dark Souls. Hopefully it's just flavour/fanservice and not important stuff.

I would almost recommend grabbing a PS3 just for Demon's Souls. There are a bunch of other good Playstation 3 (or console in general) exclusive games, though, and the systems'll be getting cheaper as the PS4 release approaches. The Souls games make up almost all of my PS3 gaming anymore--but there are also PS3 re-releases of God of War 1/2, Okami, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus if you missed out on the PS2.

Also agree with this. I died so many times before finally beating the Four Kings with my current level 1 character, but if nothing else I mastered how to jump down the shortcut and run past all the darkwraiths to reach the fight...

I had a Hell of a time with my first two ~SL50-60 katana-wielding characters against the four kings. My easiest go against them was my SL3 Wanderer with a scimitar. I had just a sliver to go when I died the first time, and easily beat them the second time. Haven't tried an SL1 run yet though.

43. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 4, 2013, 17:10 mag

Quinn wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 17:02:
Redmask wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 12:45:
Quinn wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 12:15:
I'm not saying the game is as a matter of fact bad. Some people obviously dig this shit. I don't.

Ok, goodbye, there are a ton of other games with quick save and all that for you to enjoy.

Quicksaving wasn't my main point. I could do without.

What I do find curious is that normally a "checkpoint" system is more than frowned upon, especially in this community. But when a simple checkpoint save is replaced by *gasp* campfire! it's somehow completely ok.

But again the save issue isn't and wasn't the main point. What you apparently agreed on was.

The bonfire-checkpoints in Dark Souls aren't really checkpoints in the traditional sense. They are only the place where you will respawn, and the place where you go to heal/repair/reinforce/attune/etc. But doing those latter things has a price; enemies respawn too. The game *saves* constantly. If you quit, when you reload you will appear exactly where you were, have all of your souls/humanity, and have progressed through the same amount of the level.

41. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 4, 2013, 16:56 mag

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 17:26:
PropheT wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 16:15:
Where in the game are you having checkpoints spread out that far apart?
Hmmm let's see.
Tomb of the Giants
The catacombs
New Londo ruins
Demon Ruins
Darkroot gardens is HUGE and only has 2 checkpoints(1 is hidden).
Lost Izalith(my least favorite part of the game)
Pretty much any area where the lordvessel is needed has only 1 checkpoint if i recall, it's been a while since I've played the game.

There is *one* enemy that you even kinda need to fight between bonfires in the Demon Ruins. Two, maybe, if you count the rock worm thing.

There are *zero* enemies that you even kinda need to fight between bonfires in Lost Izalith (the one after centipede, and the 'hidden' one before Bed of Chaos), and the path from one to the other is pretty clear. Between the second bonfire and the boss, there's only one enemy that I ever bothered to fight after even my first run-and-die through.

The Tomb of the Giants bonfires are like twenty seconds of running apart, though there are tough enemies between them if you don't know where to go. And then there are, again, like four enemies you even kinda need to fight between the second bonfire and the boss.

Catacombs, agree.

New Londo, agree. Tough, if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Darkroot: Not sure which you're counting as hidden--you have to break through an illusory wall, but you can *see* the bonfire, and it's pretty obvious what to do. The other's in a cave, but not really hidden. And as whoever mentioned, there's nothing *hard* in Darkroot. The hydra is dangerous, but you don't need to *ever* go into Darkroot Basin to beat the game.

40. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 4, 2013, 16:46 mag

Quinn wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 12:15:
As far as I know, I was playing the game 'the intended' way. I blocked, I dodged, I rolled. But there were moments where I felt like the devs were simply fucking with the player. Suddenly add a poison attack on a type of enemy you've fought before; walking up a spiraling stairway to end up on a tower with an enemy that one-shots you... I don't call that "hard". I find it fucking annoying, which is why I alt-F4ed at some point and uninstalled the game.

All of the rats in both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls do poison. Demon's Souls was rough: there really was *no* warning. You'd get a bunch of bites then suddenly plague, no warning. In Dark Souls, every single hit fills in the poison bar, which is displayed in the center of the screen. You have a warning that if you get hit again, shit's gonna go down. I don't think there are any rats in the game that don't have at least some status effect. But there is absolutely a warning, since they fill up the meter (a little) even if they just hit your shield, unless you're using the spider shield.

If you have even just one estus flask left at most places where you encounter rats, it is easy to run back to the nearest bonfire to reset it. If you have multiple estus flasks, you ought to be able to just heal until it runs out.

The black knight at the top of the tower: That should be the second black knight you've encountered, so you should know how dangerous they are, and you should always be careful when walking around blind corners (and blind staircases) in the game. It is also completely unnecessary to fight or even aggro him, the exact same as the first black knight (who will not one-shot you, but will teach you to respect them).

The dragon on the bridge was a callback to Demon's Souls. If you weren't familiar with the first game, yeah, you'd probably die unless you were exceedingly careful. But being careful is what the game is about. You're not supposed to trust *anything* in the game. What would be the point of even having the dragon there, if you could just quicksave before it and not even be inconvenienced? Pretty much any challenge in Dark Souls would be meaningless if you could quicksave. No one part is difficult. The difficulty is in doing things correctly (and not rushing) through many parts in a row.

33. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 4, 2013, 03:10 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 02:23:
Yeah, I found that I grew incompatible with a game like Dark Souls.... but I guess I am more fed up with it because the level design was weird... because I never had any idea where I was and where I was going. Maybe that is part of the challenge some people like.. but i certainly did not.

But while I can see your point, to me a game like Dark Souls would be acceptable only with quick-save. Exactly because I don't give a game a lot of chances if it frustrates me for some reason... yes.. I think I just got dumbed down by the games of the past 15 years. I played Baldurs Gate 2 without a guide to 100% completion on hard ,p . I found every secret and hidden thingy in Dust Elysian Tail. But I can't be arsed to complete even a single of it's "challenges" with more than 3 stars. To me, the fun part is finding stuff, to get to hard to reach stuff where you sometimes need a lot of skill, it is not getting a perfect run "1 false step or not paying attention and you ded and have to spend next 10 minutes retreading" that is especially prevalent at the beginning of the play experience.

I don't think Dark Souls tests the skill really (at the beginning it is trial and error, and don't tell me you didn't die to the rats on your first play, cursing why the fuck there was no anti-poison anywhere), I think it rather tests how much you can take before giving up on a game. Not sure that is a good way to design a game, but some people seem to like it.

Man. I totally understand that the game's design's not for you and all, but quicksaves would pretty much completely ruin it. Quicksaves make any game almost arbitrarily easy, and Dark Souls has a design that they would completely destroy.

13. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 3, 2013, 14:40 mag

FU wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 13:42:
Don't worry. All reports indicating that they castrated part 2, to some degree. Everyone should be able to win at any game nowadays.

They backtracked on a lot of that, and some of the key people said that it will be even harder. The gameplay video they showed looked pretty great, to my eye, and I have a few hundred hours in Dark Souls.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 04:10 mag

D4rkKnight wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 00:59:
If you dont want the bulleted version:

Morrowind is an intelligent, mature rpg

Skyrim is a simple, action rpg.

Morrowinds biggest fault is its combat - which has barely any feeling to it. If you could take Skyrims (already crappy but certainly better) combat and drop it into Morrowind - it would hold up awesome. The graphics improvements help tremendously but the combat can't be fixed.

Morrowind's conversation system was pretty ridiculously bad, too.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround
8. Re: Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround May 16, 2013, 13:05 mag

Quboid wrote on May 16, 2013, 12:31:
They've updated that comment, fixing the typo in the last paragraph (it's r_base_fov, not _fox - I'm sure none of you would have figured that out).

Apparently this is the vertical FOV so don't go overboard. What's the vertical equivalent of 80? Is it a simple aspect ratio conversion, i.e. 50 on a 16:10 display?

Edit: according to that thread the default FOV is 50.625 so if that's true and the game's too narrow, either my formula is wrong or 80 isn't enough. 90 (vertical FOV of 56.25 according to my formula) might be better.

90 is what I always use--that's about the widest you can get without it starting to distort, I think. Also the max the slider goes to in TF2 (probably other HL2 games), for reference.

1. Re: Into the Black May 16, 2013, 01:45 mag

how is headd fromed?  

2421 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo