Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2421 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
18. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 17, 2013, 20:01 mag

Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 19:02:
mag wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 18:03:
Weren't you, just a couple of days ago, saying that only pedophiles should worry about NSA spying? How many personalities live in your head?

I dont know, do you have reading comprehension problems? That's not what I said at all. I said if people aren't engaging in illegal activities there's really nothing to worry about, is there? That doesn't however mean what the government is doing makes it ok in the slightest. Did I say that? No. And I've railed about it long and hard for ages now. So, in future, trying thinking before opening your big fat mouth. I know it's difficult for you, but try at any rate.

One of the voices in Cutter's head wrote:
Hey just because most of us aren't Pedo Bears like you probably are doesn't mean we have things to hide too. If you're dumb enough to be sending sensitive and illegal material online that's not anyone else's fault. If you're dumb enough to not understand the difference between general privacy and public interest that's not our fault either. The rampant paranoia of Americans like you is a great source of amusement to the rest of the world most of the time. It never ceases to amaze the rest of us about this little fantasy world you exist in.

"Okay, yeah, it's bad, but why do you care that it's bad? You must be a pedophile. Americans are dumb."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2013, 19:52 mag

I do like my Sriracha... but it's not a hot sauce. There is no heat at all in Sriracha. It's just a sweet/salty/garlicky thing to put on stuff.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 17, 2013, 18:03 mag

Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 16:57:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 16:44:
Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 15:55:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 12:56:
A spy agency spying? OMG what were they thinking!?! Seriously, grow a pair, man up, figure out your living in the real world and not some fantasy based on a peice of paper created 200+ years ago

Man-up? Really? I didn't realize that the government breaking the law and running roughshod over peoples civil and human rights - and people getting upset about that for some strange reason - meant that people need to grow up, grow a pair and get macho about it. Wow, I guess everyone else has been looking at it all wrong.

Rolleyes

human rights....lol thanks for that one that will keep me chuckling for a few days. Only thing better then that is if you said god given rights

Well if you hate concepts like human rights and civil liberties you should move over to the Middle-East or some country where you'll never be bothered with the nuisance of things like that. The rest of us however will continue to be pissed off about this. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!

Weren't you, just a couple of days ago, saying that only pedophiles should worry about NSA spying? How many personalities live in your head?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2013, 02:49 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 01:01:
mag wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:09:
Ok.... what is "A midsize refrigerator" ? Like, the exact size and performance definition please, does it have a freezer? How volume, in litre? And how do they get to that iPhone power usage statistics? Because otherwise that article is like saying that my car uses more power than my hair dryer.

Stupid sensationalist headline. Or put differently, Click Bait. (I sadly clicked)

Funny: Chrome spell check does not know the word litre... quality wherever you look ^^

Litre=liter, in the US. Chrome knows the word, but not the spelling.

Which is surprising, given that a spell check should know the international spelling of a SI unit..... in fact Chrome doesn't know any of the (correct) international spellings for SI units. This throws me off every single time. Because liter and meter are the correct spellings for the German names of these units but not for the international names. Although meter and liter is probably something Americans understand if not comprehend as useful units ;p

Point is. Why doesn't this spell check know the international spelling of the words? For an american, liter or litre, meter or metre would both be correct to use and same applies for a German. Generally speaking we ought to strife to call units by their international names to begin with.

Just thought that odd. Though by far not the only odd thing with this thing they call a spell check.

Like, dystopian... it doesn't know dystopian dystopia dystopic utopian and utopic. Yet it knows utopia (which is a pretty dang bit weird). Did they get this dictionary from an insane asylum?

Litre and metre would still be considered incorrect in US-English, depending on whom you ask. Liter and meter are preferred. Same with analyze/analyse, everything similar, and so on. You can probably switch to the British-English dictionary if you prefer the other way.

Dystopia/utopia-wise, utopia is the older word by far. Dystopia's fairly recent (~1950), so I guess they might just be using a conservative dictionary as the base. Kinda would make sense. Or it's just a woefully incomplete dictionary. Also totally possible!

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2013, 00:23 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:09:
Ok.... what is "A midsize refrigerator" ? Like, the exact size and performance definition please, does it have a freezer? How volume, in litre? And how do they get to that iPhone power usage statistics? Because otherwise that article is like saying that my car uses more power than my hair dryer.

Stupid sensationalist headline. Or put differently, Click Bait. (I sadly clicked)

Funny: Chrome spell check does not know the word litre... quality wherever you look ^^

Litre=liter, in the US. Chrome knows the word, but not the spelling.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
17. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 11, 2013, 23:24 mag

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 23:18:
DukeFNukem wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 22:58:
Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 15:18:
Forgetting for a second the Orwellian overtones how many people are sending emails they should be worried about to begin with? If that's the case then they must be involved in something shady if not outright illegal, right? There's nothing in my email or posts that I care if the gubment is looking at.

I love this guy. He would make a wonderful politician. "Setting aside the fact that the 'Prism' surveillance program violates the 4th amendment of the United States Constitution, what seems to be the problem?".

Priceless.

Hey just because most of us aren't Pedo Bears like you probably are doesn't mean we have things to hide too. If you're dumb enough to be sending sensitive and illegal material online that's not anyone else's fault. If you're dumb enough to not understand the difference between general privacy and public interest that's not our fault either. The rampant paranoia of Americans like you is a great source of amusement to the rest of the world most of the time. It never ceases to amaze the rest of us about this little fantasy world you exist in.

Could you please send an archive of all of your email to me?

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
12. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 11, 2013, 21:29 mag

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 20:42:
It's why I said forget the Orwellian crap for a moment. Obviously it's not ok and it pisses me off to no end. What I'm saying is - that aside - what the hell are these people sending they have to be worried about to begin with?

Unpopular but not-illegal hobbies/opinions/lifestyle choices? Embarrassing health issues? Things that would upset their employers? Life happenings that could be used against people should they try to run for public office?

An enormous amount of evidence to levy against people for selective enforcement of laws, if it's a persona non grata? Oh, we see that you forgot to report this internet purchase on your tax return. Tsk tsk. Audit. Oh, we see that you are in favor of the legalization of marijuana, and you've been making a fuss at us. Maybe we should tip off the DEA to investigate you further.

News Comments > Project Eternity Art & Screenshot
33. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 14:10 mag

KS wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 13:02:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:43:
Mmmm...isometric RPG...

Quite frankly, the isometric aspect, forced by painted backgrounds, was overrated as an important component of this type of game. I'd love to, at a minimum, have a freely-rotating camera, as well as tilt down and up and even a limited zoom range.

> fog of war

I'm sure they turned it off for the picture.

The kickstarters wanted, and the devs wanted, to do the pretty, detailed, painted backgrounds. As soon as you move to 3D, you either have to drop detail down ridiculously or pump up the cost an enormous amount.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 13:23 mag

John wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 12:38:
Tony!!! wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:04:
Sweet. Cant wait for a new console. My 360 and ps3 are DAMN OLD!! Getting Xbox first...It was the superior controller and Live that won me over last gen.
I agree about the 360 controller over the PS3s, but the PS4 controller looks a little wider so it should feel better in hand. I'll be getting the PS4 this year and so far have no plans to get the new xbox at all. I pre-ordered the PS4 along with the new Killzone game and will probably get a few other games as Christmas gifts.

The 360 controller comes the closest to giving me RSI issues of any controller I've ever used. I hate the damn thing. Not a huge fan of the DualShock series of controllers, but they're definitely nicer than the 360 one.

Now if the Gamecube controller would make a comeback...

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 6, 2013, 04:04 mag

Google Glass could triple its unattractiveness with this new product.

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
66. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 15:48 mag

Necrophob wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 15:21:
It's not like Romero's original idea (of a hero with Thor's hammer running around fighting a bad guy named Quake) was all that fleshed out anyways.

Masters of Doom is a pretty good read and describes what went down. Romero spent most of his time being a rock star and deathmatching during company hours, and the other guys were frustrated that he wasn't guiding them in any particular direction. When the tech was finally locked down, everyone was burned out and agreed to throw together a simple game in under a year. I'd say it's Quake's weirdness and disjointedness that made it so special, but part of its appeal was that it was the only thing around. If you did Quake nowadays, it would be as successful as Rage...

Quakec and the mod community surrounding Quake are what made it a seminal game. The disjointed weirdness gave it character--and yeah, that wouldn't be received well today, most likely--but there was so much more to it.

Quakec let people turn it into a racing game, an air combat sim, and freaking chess. It had CTF with grappling hooks! It had mods that added hundreds of weapons!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 23:50 mag

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:57:
NewMaxx wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:25:

Yeah, no kidding. I can't help but be reminded of the wine tests that have been done where people have easily been fooled into preferring the far cheaper product.

Yeah, some of those people fooled are wine professionals.

I don't think this applies universally of course. Beer is a good example. I can tell a Bud from Trappiste blindfolded. And a good tequila like Patron is smooth and earthy, missing the harsh bitter bite of cheap tequila, but even that is pretty subtle. However, for things like vodka and rum, I can't tell good from bad in a blind test.

What is notable about nearly all studies of that sort, is that they are focused on tricking people, rather than actually testing if they can tell things apart with no preconceptions going in. (There are some flat-out blind taste tests including expensive and cheap wines, but I don't think that anyone should be surprised that sometimes cheap wines taste really good and expensive ones taste gross)

The only things most of them prove, in the end, are that:

1: Oftentimes people prefer specific cheaper wines to specific expensive wines

2: Your *expectations* of a taste can make you think you taste it. That is: Expecting the taste of a red can make you think you're tasting a red. Expecting it to taste more expensive will *make* it taste more expensive. Being primed to look for tastes of apricot, leather, dirt, will make you *taste* apricot, leather, dirt.

News Comments > Free race.a.bit Released
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 10:46 mag

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 23:03:
I'm with you. 8-bit crap was great...when I had an Atari 800. Sure, a lot of suckers bought in to the NES but it had really shitty graphics. I had an Atari ST at the time. Near VGA level graphics and I had stereo sound out of it! Bard's Tale, Dungeon Master, Starflight, Goldrunner...so many amazingly gorgeous games, for the time, that slaughtered the shit out of the 8-bit crap.

What's the point of having a decent gaming rig if all you're going to play are games that wouldn't make a Riva 128 or Mach64 break a sweat?

It's free.

News Comments > Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details
5. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 15:51 mag

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 15:30:
Meh, so it's basically WoW & GW2 rolled into one. I already hate the stylized look of the characters. Simplified console style combat, etc. bleh. Oh well, so much for my excitement for this.

How do you get simpler than present MMO combat?

Press button. Wait for cooldown. Press button. Wait for cooldown. Press button.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2013, 01:29 mag

nin wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 21:44:
Rigs wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 20:47:
I want to know one thing and one thing only...Freespace3?

=-Rigs-=

I seriously wonder (ignoring that they're currently owned by a publisher) if they put up a kickstarter for 1.5 - 2 million, if people would bite (as well as what kind of game we'd get for that amount).

I know I'd toss $100 at the screen.

Yeah. It'd be an insta-back for me, if it looked like it was being created by someone that looked like they could do it. Volition definitely counts.

Unfortunately, since the Interplay assholes, of all people, just bought the rights to Freespace for seven thousand dollars, it's pretty obvious that Volition isn't interested.

News Comments > New Beta AMD Catalyst Drivers
1. Re: New Beta AMD Catalyst Drivers Aug 1, 2013, 18:29 mag

Woot, frame latency fixed in CF.

...did they ever fix it in single cards? They said they had a fix, but I don't remember if drivers ever came out for it? They did game-specific fixes back toward the beginning of the year, but that's the last I'd heard of it.

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo
20. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo Aug 1, 2013, 12:24 mag

Quinn wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 03:07:
Played the demo. Just horrible. Graphics are alright -- with some proper detail for a change, unlike Darksiders! -- but the rest is horrible.

His weapon makes no fucking sense: a crusefix the size of his lower arm, yet it releases a chain spike so long that could lodge onto the fucking moon. Other than that this game is simply too much a console game. I don't fault the game for it, of course, because it IS, but it's just a reminder that I really don't like that stuff. You see the target group of the devs all over it: 12-15 year old boys who want to play pretend being the castlevania protagonist on the playground -- the way the guy walks tough, etc. And then those fucking cutscenes during and after almost Every. Fucking. Kill! So horrid. Gotta desuade my wife into buying a PS3 ater this reminder.

There really are some great games on the PS3. Don't let crap like this scare you away.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 1, 2013, 01:43 mag

Narf2029 wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 01:32:
Shit, I was on broadband in 2002 I think. Don't quote me on that, that's a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure. Basically whenever it got rolled out in Cincinnati I jumped right on it, with those goofy DSL modems and the phone line splitters that only sort of worked.

DSL started rolling out ~2000 in Cincy, IIRC.
(Sorry for quoting you)

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo
10. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo Aug 1, 2013, 00:46 mag

beigemore wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 23:38:
DRM aside, Lords of Shadow is, in my opinion, an excellent game. I highly recommend it.

I did a review of it, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEnjmVVKPJo

Anyhow, great game if you like the God of War style. Atmosphere and soundtrack are awesome.

I don't have a review to point to--but I really didn't like this game at all, and I rather liked what I played of GoW (minus the QTEs). As far as I got in LoS, the entire game consisted of: Get locked into tiny arena with an uncontrollable camera that only points in one direction. Fight a bunch of guys that take a million hits to kill. ... Fight the same bunch of guys that take a million hits to kill. ... Fight the same bunch of guys that take a million hits to kill. ... Get shunted off to the next tiny arena to fight a bunch of guys, potentially with a minigame interlude.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad
21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 13:32 mag

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:55:
Overrated. The original RoT only got some attention because of its excessive violence and brutality. Other than this shock & awe factor the game didn't really stand out in any way. It was a fairly average/mediocre corridor shooter in terms of game-/gunplay, level design, "story" (LOL), graphics and sound.

It was a pioneer in terms of multiplayer. 11 player deathmatch, TONS of different multiplayer modes, bizarre and amusing weapons.

2421 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo