Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2549 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Singularity Revival Teased
2. Re: Singularity Revival Teased Mar 23, 2015, 19:06 mag

Come on Raven, bring back the Heretic series!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 12, 2015, 16:32 mag

Derek Smart, DEREK SMART, DEREK SMART!  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 8, 2015, 23:19 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 8, 2015, 16:41:
Cool Steam Gauge article. Click a few pages, Binding of Isaac is pretty high on the list. Very happy for them. Killed CoD!!!!!

Kinda feel like their numbers for the F2P games must be completely broken, though. I've never even heard of most of the games they list.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 7, 2015, 01:41 mag

I never really understood why uTorrent took off the way it did. I've always used Deluge, though lately I've been using Transmission.  

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity Announced
8. Re: Ashes of the Singularity Announced Mar 6, 2015, 02:50 mag

ViRGE wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 19:29:
NKD wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 10:31:
Looks Supreme Commanderish. With any luck it'll be at least half the game that was.
Saw it in person. It looks very SupComish. They're even doing full LoS checking and ballistics. Which is great, because I loved SupCom.

siapnar wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 10:09:
For me, this looks like a chaotic micromanaging nightmare. But I'm sure other people better at RTS will appreciate this game
The game will feature meta-units to cut down on the micro. Assign a bunch of units to a meta, and then order around the fewer metas. All of the units within a meta will work together and take up appropriate positions to achieve that goal (arty will automatically go to the rear, etc).

Awesome. Got a huge SupCom vibe from the screenshots, and I am all for getting something new in the same lines. If they can really streamline the micro even better, I'm excited.

News Comments > Steam Machines in November
24. Re: Steam Machines in November Mar 6, 2015, 02:40 mag

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 02:18:
Redmask wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 00:43:

Specs on the entry level machine looks fine for living room play. I'm interested but will need to hear hands on accounts from people.

Yeah, the hardware and prices don't bother me. It's how stable Steam OS is and the Linux ports of all those games.

I haven't done anything craaaazy with it since I have a desktop to do most of my gaming, but I just bought a laptop with a 970M and installed Arch Linux and Steam. I fooled around with a bunch of games like Bastion and Braid and TF2 and everything has worked just perfectly so far. Pretty impressed with how smooth it is.

I'm sure there are bugs, but for casual use it seems to be about there.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 3, 2015, 19:43 mag

shihonage wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 06:39:
Sonic welcomes being regulated as a common carrier. Too bad about the trojan "general conduct" horse in the bill which destroys freedom of speech on the Internet.

"The Internet is the most powerful and pervasive platform on the planet. It is simply too important to be left without rules and without a referee on the field." - Tom Wheeler, FCC chairman

"It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed." - Vladimir Lenin

1) There's no bill. It's not legislation. It's just the FCC deciding how it's going to use the powers it already has.

2) The 'general conduct' thing has absolutely nothing to do with the content and/or people being served, and so has absolutely nothing to do with free speech. It's (an apparently unfortunately vague) set of rules that outline what sorts of traffic shaping and the like are permissible.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Mar 2, 2015, 21:26 mag

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 21:17:
The Retcon strikes again! I am looking forward to Blomkamp's take on the Aliens universe... he could make something really amazing.

Or be utterly hamstrung by various corporate entities, we'll see.

Biehn has got to be pretty old and leathery by now, I assume he'll be in a less action-oriented role if included at all.

Or be hamstrung by... whatever caused this.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: GOG introduced DRM to its shop Mar 1, 2015, 12:58 mag

El Pit wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 05:13:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 01:07:
El Pit wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 00:23:
GOG has now fallen to censorship. With the introduction of the German website, they also introduced a geolock. Some games are no longer available for German GOG customers. Way to go, GOG! This cherry has officially been popped. So, thanks GOG, it's been nice. Don't call me, I will call you.

Wow, really? That's really disappointing...

Yes, it's unfortunately true. So, GOG games are still DRM free, but the shop is no longer. Geo-lock is the beginning of the end. Further down the road, expect them to turn into just another online games platform (JAOGP instead of GOG). G2A must be quite happy about that!

GOG wrote:
Two games from our catalog had to be made unavailable in Germany: Commandos Ammo Pack and Commandos 2+3. Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against GOG.com and GOG.com employees.

What do you guys want them to do? They're not a band of law-flouting activists; they're a company.

News Comments > DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin Trailer
8. Re: DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin Trailer Feb 28, 2015, 16:05 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 14:23:
Overon wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 10:10:
This is a trailer?

Yeah right? And to be honest it looks hideous. For those that bag on games gfx that look quite a bit better than whatever that is being shown.

That's probably the ugliest part of the game. The DS2 engine doesn't do foliage very well... parts of it look very nice. It is definitely not a graphics whore's game, though.

News Comments > DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin Trailer
7. Re: DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin Trailer Feb 28, 2015, 16:03 mag

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 10:49:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 20:00:
Other than the six or more months of beta testing and the first six months of WoW just after release... no other game has given me so many hours of enjoyment. Between the PS3 and the PC version I must have between five and six hundred hours of play. And I almost hate myself for it but I'm even thinking about buying the PS4 version just because I love the game so much.

I just hope that Bloodbourne is as good as the previous three Souls games. If so I am thinking about reducing my purchases for the remainder of this year. I've bought so many games on Steam which mostly go unplayed after I sample them and quickly get bored with them. After you've played a game with this type of atmosphere and tension it is hard to find other games that can compete with it.

I'm just waiting to hear something concrete about the PS4 and PC releases. I would hope they would offer a cheap PS4 upgrade if you insert your PS3 disc and a free upgrade if you already own it and the DLC on the PC. So far I'm not hearing what I want to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cg3vnui8OyQ

To rip-off another internet poster, I will say that I bounced off the first Dark Souls so hard it left a me shaped hole in the wall behind my computer chair. I've tried to play it half a dozen times and found myself flinging the controller aside in a rage. The controls just feel broken to me.

I really want to like these games, because I LIKE bashing my head against difficulty and atmosphere is my serious jam. Is Dark Souls II any less... broken feeling or am I going to hate it as much as the first one?

My personal opinion (and this is with 500 hours in DS1 and maybe 150-200 in DS2) is that DS2's controls feel broken, sluggish, unresponsive, and floaty in comparison to DS1's.

The basics are identical, though, so if you didn't like the control scheme at all you're definitely not going to like it.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 28, 2015, 15:36 mag

panbient wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 14:40:
Recognize guitar / music games for the niche they are. The people who like them will support them.

Having said that, I don't think the industry should bother with a new generation of plastic pseudo-instruments. Go the Rocksmith route and let the players buy their own gear and provide a custom interface. That way when people come over, they won't see a bunch of plastic 'toys' cluttering your living room, they'll just see musical instruments.

Rocksmith is pretty awesome. I'd love to get more of a full Rockband thing going with it.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2015, 19:33 mag

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 15:55:
How come there's never been a "gamer" distro? There were people working on Ubuntu to make things point click friendly and the Wine people working on stopgaps, but why hasn't anyone gone whole hog?

Putting together and maintaining a distribution is a lot of work. That said:

http://play-linux.com/

But seriously. Steam ought to work out-of-the-box on Ubuntu, the nvidia/ATI drivers should be cake to install, and Ubuntu's the distro that all of the GOG Linux games are going to be tested on first. Not sure what else you want.

Also Crossover Linux for people that put some extra effort into gaming under Wine.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Feb 23, 2015, 19:24 mag

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 19:11:
Nice misleading title there. What point were they trying to make, exactly?

They didn't get harassed, therefore harassment is over forever and Libertarian Talking Point #1 or something, I guess.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2015, 11:23 mag

BobBob wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 10:36:
Oscars, what? Oh that, was past my bedtime.

You go to bed at 5:30?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2015, 14:15 mag

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 13:57:
InBlack wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 13:17:
Haven't seen Boyhood yet. The Imitation Game is a good flick, and Cumberbatch is awesome in it. Birdman was just brilliant and lol funny, American Sniper is standard Eastwood fare, brilliantly directed and overall a decent film but something about Chris Kyle's blind patriotism felt forced. Still need to see the Hawking movie and Selma.

IG is ruined because it's a liberal agenda film. Ok, he's gay, we get it. You can't stop bludgeoning us over the head with it. Christ, it's not like everyone else doesn't have their own problems.

And AS will obviously have to win something won't it? In spite of it being the worst kind of propaganda even liberal Hollywood still has to kowtow the MIIC. Can't be seen questioning that sort thing or yoi'll be branded as an enemy of 'Murica!

Haven't seen IG, don't really care to, etc. But seriously, are you completely ignorant as to why it's a big deal that Turing was gay? Being homosexual was illegal, and he was prosecuted for it. He was forced to undergo chemical castration. Him, one of the heroes of the damn war. And then he died shortly after, possibly from suicide. And it wasn't until a few years ago that he was given a pardon.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer
11. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer Feb 21, 2015, 19:22 mag

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 15:21:
From what I remember isn't only the mother ship talks to you in the game? Which is a female voice.

I feel like I remember the narrator from the intro cinematic speaking in the tutorial, but I might be making that up entirely.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2015, 11:32 mag

NKD wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 10:17:
The crybaby dinosaurs who complain about CGI in movies need a few teeth knocked out. Filmmaking is like anything else. You use the proper tool for the job. Sometimes, that's CGI.

I've found that a lot of times people aren't even aware of how much CGI is used in things. They'll talk about a movie or TV show "not using much CGI" and then they find out later that nearly every scene had CGI enhancing the background in lieu of a prohibitively expensive set.

Filmmakers have been using fancy techniques to get around what can be done practically since before CGI or computers were even a thing. Traveling mattes, etc. were just shoddy proto-CGI but made a lot of stuff possible or feasible that simply wasn't otherwise.

If I can tell that it's CGI, it has probably been used inappropriately. All of those times that I don't see it? Great! I love it! That's exactly when it should be used.

When it's used to animate characters that look unequivocally worse than human actors in the same role (compare orcs in LotR to The Hobbit), it's terrible. Stop it.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2015, 01:39 mag

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 22:24:
Any of you guys that bought the Sega bundle, how much do you like/hate the interface? Reading some of the Amazon reviews, apparently the interface is terrible?

The interface is atrocious.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 17, 2015, 22:11 mag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 21:13:
Hey, to be a dick at 14, but come to your senses at 16 that your sociopathic behavior is wrong, then try to make up for it by helping people be more secure, I think that's a nice character arc. I was still at dick at 16.

And there's some good info in there on how to avoid swatting.

There are a lot of inconsistencies in his story. He was doing this when he was 14, but he had been working at DirecTV for 2-3 years. He stopped a long time ago, but he did it most recently in 2015. Etc. etc.

A lot of it's obviously lies. If it's not all lies, he's pretty evidently a sociopath. There's no remorse, just the realization that it makes him seem like an idiot to his friends, and that it's all so easy that it doesn't really make him smarter than others. But he also still thinks it's cool to torment teenage girls.

2549 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo