Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2586 (Senior)
User ID 14905
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 14:15 mag
Dagnamit wrote on May 16, 2015, 13:59:
Axis wrote on May 16, 2015, 12:50:
Windows 10 preloaded with candy crush... Sounds EXACTLY like the direction MS has been going.

Like it or not, those games are the Minesweeper of the times. Played by the exact same type of person too. Production quality is just better.

They are nothing compared to Freecell. NOTHING!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2015, 15:51 mag
BobBob wrote on May 15, 2015, 13:39:
By the time a person gets to be about 70'ish he/she has typically lost any enjoyable life function. Might as well sip the elixir and make a donation to Soylent.

Man, you've really got to get out of California. I think your brain is baking in the Sun. Move some place where you can cool off with a drink of water.
News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black May 14, 2015, 23:14 mag
jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2015, 22:04:
Cutter wrote on May 14, 2015, 21:41:
Wow, that was just awful. And did they really need to make Jimmy Olson black? Rolleyes

I don't care about that, but this is bad: Jimmy Olsen has to give her the blanket? Superman doesn't have time to visit his own cousin even though he can get anywhere in the world in 30 seconds??

I think it's just legal stuff. They are not allowed to show Superman.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 13, 2015, 18:28 mag
DangerDog wrote on May 13, 2015, 16:01:
I doubt Windows 10 would work on hardware running Windows XP without upgrading the ram at the very least, and for those people many are still on XP because of their requirement for some device driver that's only available on XP or would grind the computer to a halt speed wise if you upgraded the OS.

Vista though should be on the list but whatever.

I haven't tried windows 10 preview, does it require you to have a MS account or can you bypass that?

I installed one of the earlier previews and did not have to create an MS account.
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2015, 15:06 mag
ANALYSIS: Karate Kid: Remake vs. Original.

Mind. Blown.
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2015, 11:26 mag
Alamar wrote on May 8, 2015, 09:51:
Well, that didn't last long... Installed the GOG Galaxy client for Witcher 3... Had an issue with the videos... Not horrible, just very inconvenient...

'Closing' to sys tray though... Uninstalled...

It's a beta. Report the issues and feature suggestions.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 7, 2015, 18:22 mag
For Nintendo to not profit is the exceptional thing. They had a rough patch for 2011-2014, but the annual loss for the 2011-2012 year was the first in three decades.  
News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 6, 2015, 03:03 mag
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 23:38:
siapnar wrote on May 5, 2015, 18:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 15:59:
I hear this term thrown around a lot by Indie devs. What exactly does it entail?
I feel like it's probably evolved into something that it wasn't originally.

The name comes from Rogue, a dungeon crawler from 1980. Here are some of the tenets of roguelikes:
- levels are procedurally generated.
- death is usually permanent
- mob randomization often means you can meet mobs well beyond your abilities at the start of the game.
- game is usually turnbased or has some way to pause the action so moves can be considered.
- there is usually a variety of loot and some kind of "character" leveling system

Wikipedia: Roguelike.

And just for some examples, some recent good Rogue-likes and Rogue-lights are as varied as Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, FTL...
News Comments > New NFS This Fall; No Mirror's Edge & Titanfall Sequels Before 2016
16. Re: New NFS This Fall; No Mirror's Edge & Titanfall Sequels Before 2016 May 6, 2015, 01:24 mag
Parias wrote on May 6, 2015, 00:10:
Cutter wrote on May 5, 2015, 19:31:
And nary a shite was given thrice times!

About a new Mirror's Edge? No way, totally looking forward to the sequel for that. Assuming they don't completely fuck it up.

Ayup! Excited to see how it turns out.
News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 2, 2015, 23:07 mag
jimnms wrote on May 2, 2015, 15:32:
The “hidden city” ticketing technique involves buying an airline ticket between two cities with a connection, but ditching the rest of the trip. Say you want to fly from Las Vegas to Philadelphia but find a ticket from Vegas to Boston—with a connection in Philadelphia—that's cheaper. You land in Philly and prance out of the airport, retaining the savings.

What about your luggage? Any checked bags will automatically be loaded on the plane to Boston leaving you stuck in Philadelphia without your stuff.

Who checks luggage on domestic flights?
13. Re: Playstation 4 question May 1, 2015, 21:01 mag
PHJF wrote on May 1, 2015, 15:09:
Creston wrote on May 1, 2015, 14:30:
Can anyone with a PS4 maybe answer this question for me? Does the DVD remote from the PS3 work on the PS4? Or do you need to buy a new one?

Not only that, but you can't even use fucking bluetooth headsets with it. Apparently Sony locked all the BT channels down for dualshocks or something and so I'm stuck using the stupid wired-to-the-gamepad dongle ps4 ships with.

If you have a reasonably modern TV, this may work for you. Lets you use your TV remote for the PS4. Works for me on my 5-6 year old TV.
News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
36. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 13:57 mag
dj LiTh wrote on May 1, 2015, 10:56:
siapnar wrote on May 1, 2015, 10:47:
Slick wrote on May 1, 2015, 10:13:
how can you all watch the same video I just did, and only walk away with: "well, this is dumb, i'm not gonna buy 4x titans to run this? This is stupid, who cares?"
Because why show tech that's not even close to being realized on current high end gamer setups?
Him saying this scene has 10 times the polygon counts doesn't make me me say "Wow!"

It's like showing Avatar graphics and being like: "look how awesome this is!"
And we're all like: "uh huh, but it will run at 3 fps on my PC so who cares"

To show whats possible. Pretty ridiculous most of you cant appreciate that simple fact.

I think it's just that we all expect it to be possible. We're all--well, duh, if you cram $4k worth of video cards into a box you can make something that looks pretty, and it'll be way prettier than what you could do a few years ago. And it's still running at what looks like 15fps.

We've all been around long enough to have seen these tech demos, and they're always very impressive, but it doesn't amount to much in the end.
News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2015, 12:39 mag
WaltC wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 10:57:
The present administration in Washington will likely go down in history as one of the dumbest, most backwards-looking administrations in U.S. history. The problem is that whenever the government steps in and interferes with private business on whatever pretext it uses, it's always for the sake of "the consumer." However, rarely can it be shown that the consumer benefits. How the TWC customers are supposed to benefit from continuing on as TWC customers beats me. I've not seen anything to support that position come out of Washington. What I have seen is the government acting on anti-Comcast sentiment that is 100% emotional/political--so it was not "the consumer" who benefited here: it was the anti-Comcast crowd. Makes me feels sorry for the ailing TWC's customer base.

Comcast could do better, though, in upgrading its own Internet
infrastructure to a minimum of 25Mbs/sec down for the rates it presently supplies 6Mb/sec down. Had the company done that first and then sought the merger--it's likely it would have been greenlighted from the get-go. Resisting universally higher broadband connection speeds will not help Comcast in any way.

Feel bad for Comcast, not TWC. Time Warner has no data caps. Time Warner is actually (slowly) upgrading their network. They're rolling out their (stupidly-named) MAXX service this year to a handful of cities that'll move the 'standard' speed from 15/2 Mbps to 50/5Mbps, and make 100/10 and 200/20 Mbps pretty affordable.

Their "plan" is to get this to everyone by the end of 2016. TWC sucks, but Comcast sucks way more, and I'm glad I'm not going to be stuck with them.
24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2015, 00:20 mag
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 00:16:
NKD wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 17:33:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 14:42:

Oh shut up both of you.

How about YOU shut up porkchop? We've all heard enough from the cop apologist crowd about how it's so awful to be a police officer and we should let them get away with anything and everything because of it.

There's no cop in the US who isn't either complicit or complacent with regards to the systemic issues with law enforcement and people are getting wise to how the police view the public they are supposed to be protecting: As enemies.

Are you a Police Officer? Then I kindly ask all of you to SHUT THE FUCK UP. Unless you have the badge you have NOTHING to offer the conversation either way. So quit trying to be a armchair officer until you've lived the life.

That is absolute bullshit. Non-cops have every right and responsibility to question how they're policed.
23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2015, 00:15 mag
Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 18:52:
What if our fighter jets do fall behind China? Does it matter? What big player is going to screw with another nuclear power? Invading the US would be a complete nightmare whether our jets can dance ballet or not.

Besides in five years it's going to be all drones anyway.

It's not a matter of fighting China or Russia or whatever. It's a matter of who will they sell their new fighters to. The next time NATO countries want to fuck around in the Middle East, they don't want to be flying F-18s against whatever new 5th gen fighter the Russians or Chinese sell to them.

I'm assuming that's the case, anyway. I dunno.
News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 16, 2015, 01:58 mag
Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 23:06:
I never understand why GOP supporters support them when they do this kind of Doublespeak bullshit. Freedom Act. Patriot Act. Outsourcing is good for America. etc. How dumb do you have to be?

Because it works. Most people don't know what these acts do beyond the name. Most people that know what they do don't care. Most people that know what they do and do care also know that the Democrats are complicit in passing all of them. There's no winning.
News Comments > Hardware Reviews
7. Re: Hardware Reviews Apr 15, 2015, 23:08 mag
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 13:42:
Task wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 12:33:
I don't plan to get either the Titan X or 980's however. nVIDIA has been holding back the 980 Ti, which is apparently supposed to release at the end of the summer (August/September) and is hopefullly going to completely demolish the regular 980's and Titan X in performance judging by the early rumors.
Which makes me wonder how AMD's 3XX cards will fair to the top of the line Nvidia offering.

The rumormongers have been predicting the 3xx-series 290x-equivalent (so the top-of-the-line non-2-chip design) to pretty handily beat the 980 but to lose to the new Titan.
News Comments > Titan Souls Released
1. Re: Titans Souls Released Apr 14, 2015, 22:12 mag
This looks great, but I haven't made time to try the demo yet. Anyone have impressions?  
20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2015, 16:14 mag
BobBob wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:30:
Necrophob wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:10:
How dare they unconditionally love us!
Unconditionally dependent on the owner for food and shelter. Otherwise, I doubt it sincerely cares at all.

There are so many weird things in this. To dogs, their humans are part of their family unit. I lived with my parents and their dog until he was maybe a year old, and then moved out. He's maybe 8 now, sees me once or twice a month for a few hours. He is in no way dependent on me for anything. I don't feed him, don't give him treats, just play with him a little when I come visit. And he's not at all starved for attention when I'm not there.

That dog goes berserk whenever I walk through the door. Just completely beside himself. He doesn't react like that to anyone else. I couldn't tell you exactly what the dog is feeling, but it's definitely not "oh thank god now someone will feed me." No one that's ever had a dog would say that they only care about food and shelter. Is there a one-to-one mapping to human emotions? Maybe, maybe not. But they're capable of more than you'd want to credit them for.
12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2015, 02:27 mag
harlock wrote on Apr 12, 2015, 19:17:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2015, 18:26:
But no, the Grand Canyon was caused by river and stream erosion.

it was caused by glacial melting during the last ice age... it took hundreds of millions of gallons of water pouring through there for decades to do that

I think the Grand Canyon's generally accepted to be much older than that. Wikipedia pegs its formation beginning ~17M years ago.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2015, 05:31.
2586 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo