Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2444 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2014, 16:15 mag

Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 16:10:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 14:08:
Wow, Yahtzee really ripped The Evil Within a new one in that ZP review.

I'm still planning on getting it at 10 bucks or less though.

I'm surprised he wasn't more negative. His main complaints seemed to be that the story doesn't make much sense and made the world seem disjointed and that the stealth was pasted on.

Stealth is an integral part of the game, especially if you play on nightmare or akuma difficulty. It was actually one of the parts of the game that I enjoyed the most. If you expect to walk in and just start blasting everything without trying to be a little sneaky before ch 6 you'll be in for a rude awakening.

As for the plot, I rather enjoyed it and also enjoyed the variety of scenery. Each chapter brings you to a whole new area and set piece, this kept the game fresh for me and helped me enjoy the 19hrs it took to beat it. The downside is that you never felt like you were part of the real world, but of course that is also part of the story

The last minute or so is the angriest I've heard him in ages. He sounded betrayed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 12:47 mag

mch wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:30:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:25:
So now the whole world knows that you like dick, Tim. Who fucking cares. This is 2014. Being gay is about as revealing and controversial as having blonde hair.

Perhaps less interviews about your sexuality and more time spent leading innovation would help the company that you're CEO of stop being iterative and go back to being at least creative.

I'm pretty sure this isn't him coming out - he was accidentally outed a few months back during an interview if I remember correctly.

In other news, Samsung announces a new ad campaign "We Were Gay First!"

I think it was a thing that was widely suspected, and maybe widely known to those privileged few, but yeah. He was outed by some doofus on CNBC in June.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 26, 2014, 18:51 mag

nutshell42 wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 14:39:
MS Office is a POS that makes you wanna murder your computer but using OOo for a week had me ready to strangle myself by feeding my tie into the printer. Office is the vastly superior solution, if only in comparison.

Thankfully we use LaTeX for most of our typesetting needs. It's also a crappy POS but at least once you've solved a problem it stays solved. I love technical fields.

I hope someone writes a html document processor. It's less volatile and easier to debug than LaTeX but unfortunately there is no easy way to get it onto a printed page. And Chrome doesn't even support hyphenation because all they ever care about anymore is appification of Chrome. (if that sounds like a non-sequitur: Google would be the only ones to do it. IE has no vision and Mozilla has visions, they need a doctor)

Really, no one should be using OOo anymore. The Libre Office fork is much better supported and developed.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 23:21 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 20:29:
Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 17:21:
It's so weird to me how partisan ebola is.
Moderates and liberals: "it isn't a big deal and is unlikely to become one."
Conservatives: "oh my god Gwenyth Paltrow and that Outbreak monkey are going to kill us all, close the borders, it's too late we're all dead!"

I've never seen fear over a disease so clear cut across party lines like this and it baffles me.

I think it's the differences between the liberal mind and the conservative mind. Here are a bunch of peer-reviewed studies. Some choice headlines:

1. Conservatives spend more time looking at unpleasant images, and liberals spend more time looking at pleasant images.

2. Reliance on quick, efficient, and "low effort" thought processes yields conservative ideologies, while effortful and deliberate reasoning yields liberal ideologies.

4. Liberals have more tolerance to uncertainty (bigger anterior cingulate cortex), and conservatives have more sensitivity to fear (bigger right amygdala).

7. Republicans are more likely than Democrats to interpret faces as threatening and expressing dominant emotions, while Democrats show greater emotional distress and lower life satisfaction.

10. Conservatism is focused on preventing negative outcomes, while liberalism is focused on advancing positive outcomes.

Better be careful. You're going to get doxxed and SWATted and death-threatened and whatnot. Then Intel's going to pull their ads from your website.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 17:26 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:32:
Here's how to be successful on Kickstarter:

Step 1: Find an under-served genre or beloved game that has not been re-made recently.
Step 2: Design game to be spiritual successor for old game or genre.
Step 3: Make sure beloved developer(s) of said genre or game from back in the day is on the team.
Step 4: Pitch video has to walk the line of showing you competent enough to make the game, but not so slick to invoke the question "If you have that much money, what do you need us for?"
Step 4: Hype the crap out of the KS with a crapton of nostalgia.
Step 5: Sell well-designed but over-priced physical items of the game for higher tiers.
Step 5: FUNDED!

I would like to contribute to your game.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 16:27 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 16:26:
Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:16:
Wow, a soldier and reservist murdered in Canada this week and now some lunatic attacked cops with a hatchet in NYC today. Ebola looks to be spreading. Sigh. Things seems to be getting pretty crazy out there atm. Stay safe people.

Seriously? You're talking 2 people out of almost 400 million. And Ebola is not "spreading" in North America. It's arriving here from out of country and being dealt with. What the hell? Crime is as low as it has ever been. Disease is as controlled as it has ever been. Just because the media is hyping shit for clicks doesn't mean things are getting crazy. When did you start to buy into that bullshit?

There are serious problems out there. Global warming is already killing thousands and will result in the deaths of millions perhaps 100s of millions of people through drought, extreme weather, famine, flooding, war, etc. And there are many more: government corruption, corporate corruption, income inequality, poverty, healthcare failures, nuclear weapons, etc. etc. Don't be like the pilot who puts his attention on why the light on switch 17 is broken while his plane augers in.

And now a school shooting in Seattle. Sad week.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2014, 21:20 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:02:
Yeah, I'm still on DSL, even though cable is faster in my area. I just can't in good conscience go with cable. My Telco is doing a ton of fiber installs in the area though, so who knows for how much longer copper will be around. Still probably for another decade or so. Hopefully this gets rolled out before the switch.

Ditto, regarding the local telco and fiber installs. They just started offering 1Gbps down/250Mbps up for $90/mo, too. Not exactly Google fiber prices, but still exciting.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
21. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 21, 2014, 18:12 mag

Prez wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 16:24:
nin wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 09:42:
I'd almost be tempted try this, but I doubt I'd enjoy their idea of "fun".

Maybe for $5 one day...

I bought it for $7.50 on a sale a while back, and I regret it. I barely got past the tutorial. Absolutely brutal, punishing game. I know there are people who will say things like "it really isn't that hard" but don't listen to them. It is ridiculous. I am glad there are people out there who enjoy it but unless you possess nearly inhuman reflexes, skill, and patience this masochistic game will only bring you pain.

It really isn't that hard.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 20, 2014, 22:11 mag

Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 13:53:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 13:36:
Only two years? Amateurs. When you commit online abuse in the USA, we charge you with 50 years in prison and $1M fine. And then you kill yourself.

He didn't abuse, he stole. "Stole." And he never would have gotten 50 years or 1 million. Ever. He probably could have gotten away with no jail time.

Maybe the legal system should stop threatening to destroy people for daring to exercise their right to a trial.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fist of Jesus
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fist of Jesus Oct 18, 2014, 00:52 mag

SlimRam wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 00:23:
Another zombie game??? Jesus Christ! ...Oh wait...um...

Haaaaaaa!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2014, 04:49 mag

SlimRam wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 00:00:
Yah, i've always kinda scratched my head about Aquaman. I mean seriously, what if he gets jumped while he's on land by a bunch of thugs in a parking lot? I mean, as he's getting his water lily ass handed to him by these guys, does he jump up and run to the nearest McDonald's dumpster and order a half-eaten Filet-O-Fish sandwich to fight for him?

They made him kind of a badass in the last few iterations of the Justice League animated series. Super strength, rules a kingdom full of magic and high-tech stuff, has a huge chip on his shoulder because the landlubbers are assholes, totally willing to kill millions of people if he needs to.

News Comments > Hatred Announced
34. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 04:18 mag

Jerykk wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 02:30:
harlock wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 23:22:
doesnt look like postal in that it seems un-humorous.. looks pretty disturbing - its made specifically for "trenchcoat mafia" types, gratuitously so

i wonder if it will start getting press, seems pretty freaky

The original Postal had little to no humor. It was pretty dark and morbid. Hatred could very easily be mistaken for a remake.

My issue with both Postal and Hatred is that mowing down defenseless civilians just isn't very interesting. Where's the challenge? Where's the depth? Shock value doesn't compensate for boring gameplay.

Yeah. When I played Postal when I was... what, 14? I thought to myself, "Wow, this crossed a line." Turned it off, never played it again. It was the (at the time, to me) quite realistic screams. The guys crawling around yelling about how they couldn't feel their legs. Noooope. Dark, morbid, no humor that I noticed.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 16, 2014, 01:44 mag

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 22:42:
The only show I have really wanted to watch is Game of Thrones. I've never seen one episode and couldn't name one actor or actress in it. I hope to stave off getting into it until the final season, but I doubt that will be possible seeing as how Martin isn't even finished with the book series yet.

I think they plan to march along toward the end with or without GRRM, if they catch up to him.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2014, 21:25 mag

NKD wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:57:
Gamers are being pushed out of gaming.

Did you totally miss the explosion of indie and Kickstarter titles as the glories of 90s gaming were brought back to life? What are you grumpy about?

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2014, 04:53 mag

Google Fiber Uptake Low Among Poor, Data Shows.

People without money don't pay money for thing that takes even more money to take advantage of: Film at eleven.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2014, 21:43 mag

Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 16:27:
I wouldn't mind 1 ad before a program begins. HBO does it and it doesn't bug me at all. But HBO does it for their content, it may bug me more if it was for, say, a Toyota Camry. It doesn't interrupt anything, though, so I'm ok with it.

Man, absolutely no. If I have to wait 30s-1m after I click something to begin watching it, or I'm forced to watch ads between eps during a binge watch, not a chance. Canceled immediately.

Not even if they want to advertise other Netflix stuff. I'm already paying for your service--get out of my way.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 13, 2014, 21:40 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 18:51:
That article forgets that when users have no reason to upgrade, whether it's free or not, they will not upgrade. So MS real problem is that their OS hasn't really done anything worthwhile in a .. while. Windows 8 is a catastrophe. Not technically where it has some ups, but PR wise. And Metro might easily have been their largest misstep in the decade. There is absolutely NO REASON to make Desktop and tablet experience identical. NONE. Desktops are NOT TABLETS.

And Windows 8 is certainly not worth 240$ (or 250 as it costs here)

I won't upgrade from 7 anytime soon.. in fact unless DX12 becomes Win10 exclusive and gets massive support from games I will not even CONSIDER upgrading ^^

And here is a fun thought. Imagine MS had pushed Windows 8 as update through Windows 7 update pipeline..... does this sound like a good idea to anyone?

I just moved from Win7 to Win8.1, since I got a copy of the latter for $7.50 and my Win7 install was giving me trouble.

After I installed classic shell (really, required even on Win7 to make it usable) and did the usual tweaks, gotta say I like it better than anything since Win2k.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2014, 15:56 mag

I would drop Netflix the very instant I saw my first ad. No thought required.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 13, 2014, 06:17 mag

Flatline wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 23:37:
Axis wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 20:09:
Saboth wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 19:54:
Heh, just as predicted. Comcast and Verizon reams Netflix, and Netflix turns around and reams its customers. Then Comcast and Verizon likely ream the customers too, with another arbitrary price increase for service. It's like Americans are being double charged for internet service. I remember one one Comcast raised my rates twice in a year. Then another, they raised rates, then started charging for "free" converter boxes. And people are actually considering letting them buy up more competitors.

Netflix is worth having for 3x the cost. Comcast/verizon/directtv/etc are your reamers. Netflix is more than fair.

Is their content any better than about a year ago?

I cancelled my netflix because the content was atrocious. I found myself watching *maybe* 1-2 movies a month, and the TV shows I was watching were available on Amazon prime anyway (and I get free shipping and other stuff from the mothership for that).

It's still definitely a case of you needing to be willing to watch what they have rather than what you want. You have to be like water, man. Go with the flow, and you will be entertained.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 12, 2014, 03:47 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 13:43:
How many times a day does the average person check their phone? 221, apparently.

Really? REALLY? People, please, get a life.

I doubt I hit half that much, but between email, text messages, and just checking the time it's got to get up there pretty good. For people that text more than me, it doesn't seem that far-fetched.

2444 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo