Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2403 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2013, 18:48 mag

Woo, man, I'm 4-11 so far this week. This is going to be a rough one!

Er. That is: 4/11. 4-7. You get what I meant.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2013, 19:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2013, 17:30 mag

yuastnav wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 12:27:
I still don't get it.

I think people overestimate how much of a problem it actually is if you have that many flavours of Linux since. Besides, just do what Valve does and support only one of them.
If people complain you can tell them that their distribution is not officially supported.
On the other hand Linux users are an inventive bunch who would be able to hack around a bit and get it to work, unofficially, anyway.

And even if they didn't support modern games they could at least add support for games using dosbox since a native version is available for Linux. It would be almost trivial.

But to be fair, Valve is a much, much larger operation than GOG, and they still had/have a hell of a lot of growing pains with the Linux version of Steam. I really hope that GOG changes their minds, and at least offers it unsupported, but I doubt they're overstating the difficulty overmuch.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2013, 10:05 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 05:37:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 04:21:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 20:28:
You're Taking a Crap Wrong! This Is How You Poop Properly.

I call bullshit. How come when I stand up, I have to sit back down and continue?!

I think the perfect position to crap is to be in a recliner type position, opening everything up instead of cranking everything closed. In my very humble and non doctor thinking, I would imagine squatting is creating INCREASED pressure on the rectum area and causing hemorrhoids. It should be a relaxing experience, not a stressful one.

PUSHING causes 'roids. So the idea that you press your quads against your abdomen so you don't have to distend your rectum into space seems pretty sound to me.

Try it, and let me know how it goes...

Seriously, the poop science is sound. Squat toilets line you up better. If you travel abroad and need to use one, you'll probably mostly notice that your quads are too weak to hang out there for long, but it's just a matter of getting used to it.

News Comments > Op Ed
67. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 20:43 mag

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 17:58:
mag wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 16:03:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:23:
Yeah, it's the theme of the site, and it's what people are objecting to - how over the top it is.

It's funny how those people never complain when Gabe murders Tycho in a brutal fashion, or someone is fed into a wood chipper, or radioactive scorpions bite one of them in the dick, or dogs tear them to pieces or... etc

But a fictional character mentions fictional rape by a fictional dickwolf and "OMG YOU GUYS CONDONE RAPE."

/sigh.

Caveat: As I said before, I don't think this comic was offensive, I did not see a problem with it, etc. etc. I am not in favor of censoring tasteless humor, and I think there are some good arguments that can be made in this vein.

But. I think the rape/murder argument is weak. The main problem with the analogy is that rape happens way more often than murder, disproportionately affects a marginalized group, is frequently not punished, and involves a lot of victim-blaming. If 1 in 5 men were murdered by their best bros who then got away with it (and with large numbers of people defending the bro-murders), then the non-fuss over Gabe/Tycho murders might make more sense.

Who defends rapists? I mean, who actually thinks out right rape is OK other than frat-boys with expensive lawyers?

Just as an example, there was that case in Ohio earlier this year. The world was full of "Boo-hoo-hoo the poor young athletes' lives were destroyed by outing and convicting them as rapists. The girl was asking for it!" Same shit happens all the time.

News Comments > Op Ed
66. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 20:40 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 16:25:
mag wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 16:03:
Yeah, it's the theme of the site, and it's what people are objecting to - how over the top it is.

It's funny how those people never complain when Gabe murders Tycho in a brutal fashion, or someone is fed into a wood chipper, or radioactive scorpions bite one of them in the dick, or dogs tear them to pieces or... etc

But a fictional character mentions fictional rape by a fictional dickwolf and "OMG YOU GUYS CONDONE RAPE."

/sigh.

Caveat: As I said before, I don't think this comic was offensive, I did not see a problem with it, etc. etc. I am not in favor of censoring tasteless humor, and I think there are some good arguments that can be made in this vein.

But. I think the rape/murder argument is weak. The main problem with the analogy is that rape happens way more often than murder, disproportionately affects a marginalized group, is frequently not punished, and involves a lot of victim-blaming. If 1 in 5 men were murdered by their best bros who then got away with it (and with large numbers of people defending the bro-murders), then the non-fuss over Gabe/Tycho murders might make more sense.

You ever been to the ghetto?

Edit: I worded this reply terribly. But, Beamer said it well enough.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2013, 20:48.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 16:03 mag

/sigh.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 15:53 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:20:
Thanks for the links. My opinion remains unchanged. Yeah, the second strip is a little over the top, but isn't that the whole theme of their site? Whatever.

Yeah, I dunno. I have no great love for PA--I disagree with their taste in games, I'm not a big fan of Gabe's latest art style adjustments, and I do think they have some, uh, tolerance issues--but I didn't understand the flap over this comic. It's pretty obviously a joke that uses rape to exaggerate an aspect of MMOs rather than a joke about rape.

But I'm not a person that ever has been or ever will be subject to any sort of sexual assault (same as most of you, being that you're probably predominantly guys), so I don't think it's fair for us to just say, "Pff, whatever, it's not offensive. Fuck off."

The problem is that there was never really a conversation. It was just "PA condones rape!" vs. "Don't censor us!" And even worse is that this put PA on the side of people (and this is surely not them) who really are of the opinion that "Pff, what's so bad about rape?" And those aren't really... good allies to have.

And on the other side you do have the legions of the Professionally Offended (Jezebel, Sinfest, blah blah), and that weakens their arguments when there really is a legitimate issue, and that's what the vociferously-anti-feminist find ways to attack.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 14:14 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:53:
Thanks, Creston. Yep, as I guessed -- much ado about nothing. The PC world running amuck once again.

The comic: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/08/11

People got upset.

The response: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/08/13

People got more upset.

Then they made Dickwolves branded merchandise.

People got ultra upset.

They took the Dickwolves merch away.

OMG CENSORSHIP

And that was the end of it, until it got brought up again at PAX.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Sep 6, 2013, 03:14 mag

jimnms wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 02:15:
We had a cricket explosion here a long time ago. It was insane, they were covering the streets, and cars just rolling over them making crunchy noises. Then the little town I went to college at there was a grass hopper invasion. They weren't the little common ones, these were huge 3-4 inch fuckers. The seemed to be smart enough to stay out of the street and off the sidewalks where they'd get crushed, but they covered buildings and parked cars. And they fly around so fast and being so big, it hurt like hell if one hit you. Luckily they only hung around for a couple of days before moving on.

It was lightning bugs here, this Spring/Summer. It wasn't ground-covering numbers, but I'd find them all over in my apartment and you couldn't go out at night without them crashing into you constantly. Never seen so many.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 18:47 mag

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 16:32:
mag wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 15:40:
Is anyone having any trouble getting Beat The Insiders to work? I created an account, but clicking anywhere does absolutely nothing. I can't pick teams.

It seems to be either a Flash or Java site. Do you have either of those not installed, by any chance?

I did have Java disabled. I tried enabling it, but still clicking does nothing anywhere on the page for my picks or for the league. Bah.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2013, 15:40 mag

Is anyone having any trouble getting Beat The Insiders to work? I created an account, but clicking anywhere does absolutely nothing. I can't pick teams.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 3, 2013, 15:12 mag

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 10:08:
I havent thought about the game: Gauntlet in a long time.. I'd play another one of those types of games again. Is there anything like that for the PC?

Wii U- I had NO idea this was a new console, or that it even came out when it did. It had zero fanfare and from what i understand, never caught on/hasn't caught on in the states?

Check out Hammerwatch.

I'd also consider Magicka to be in the same genre as Gauntlet, really...

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 1, 2013, 02:05 mag

JeffD wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 18:36:
First papal "selfie" still making its rounds and showing up all the news media they have no idea what a selfie is.

Haha. I guess it's a shorter phrase than "Photo of someone taking a selfie with the Pope."

12. Re: B(S)G Aug 31, 2013, 11:57 mag

Ant wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 10:19:
Quboid wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 09:23:
Ant wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 01:25:
Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 12:30:
Hah! Dunno if anyone has seen this meme floating around yet but I haven't....

Starbucks in Starbucks
It's pretty old, but still funny.

Care to explain it? I get that they're in Starbucks (although those cigars better not be lit if they're around here) but who are they? Is their name Starbucks? Is one called Star and the other Bucks? Did anyone get my first post "joke"? What's the insignia, Battlestar Gallactica?
Yep, Battlestar Galactica (original/old and 2003 series) actors. You should watch the 2003 one.

Watch the miniseries that started the reboot, then quit. The show is awful. AWFUL.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2013, 21:41 mag

She's 57???  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 30, 2013, 16:10 mag

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 13:19:
Probably found the passwords on a sticky.

It's worse that that. Apparently (according to what I read yesterday) they restricted his access, but since he was a sys admin, he could look up the PWs of people who had total access, log in as them, and DL what he wanted.

I like to imagine that all he did was 'sudo su <bigwig NSA guy>'.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 28, 2013, 15:04 mag

Okay, the new design is pretty ugly.

...and following the /. article to the archive.org link of the old design... that one is just as bad.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 28, 2013, 14:02 mag

Nexus 4 gets $100 price cut, now starts at just $199 unlocked.

D'oh. Just bought one in June.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 15:54 mag

I doubt HuffPo's switch will change much. Have you been around the Internet to the places that require Facebook logins to comment? People are willing to associate their names with some terrible things.

And even as libby-lib-lib as I tend to be, HuffPo is one of the worst sites on the internet. It's a disgusting celebrity gossip rag. You shouldn't be going there anyway.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2013, 05:58 mag

Flo wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 02:53:
Not to interrupt your Xbox One hate, but I read that multiplayer gets dedicated servers in azure which is pretty cool. What I always hated about consoles was the piss poor peer to peer hosting.

User-hosted dedicated servers or dev/publisher-hosted? The latter just means you won't be able to play the game at all when they decide it's not profitable anymore.

2403 Comments. 121 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo