Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2396 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2013, 16:23 mag

Ugh, double post.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
7. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 7, 2013, 13:15 mag

Quboid wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 10:03:
I didn't know the G700s was a thing until now. It looks nice too, better going by what JediPunisher said. 1Khz update rate?

1 kHz and adjustable up to 8200(??) dpi.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2013, 13:12 mag

"106" long-lost Doctor Who episodes found in Ethiopia. 106 is a quote?

I think they're scare quotes. Because the 106 is actually... 0. It was a hoax, I hear.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 5, 2013, 03:44 mag

JediPunisher wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 16:43:
Quboid wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 10:45:
Kinda wish I hadn't just bought a mouse. That Logitech G602 looks rather nice.

Be happy you didn't... I just returned mine for a refund.

Twice the reviewer talked about 12 buttons... but the G602 has only 11 buttons. If he can't get something that basic right, you should ignore the review.

The G602 looks sharp and works great; the 2500dpi is plenty and the tracking is perfect... but the mouse feels cheap compared to other premium Logitech mice I've owned. For example, the mouse wheel is the same one from their budget mice, and lacks the tilt function; You can barely feel the notches, and it is so tight when turning, that scrolling long pages is a chore. The six thumb buttons all feel the same and are simply too close together to be useful in a FPS or any fast action game where pressing the wrong button could mean death. Also, the mouse doesn't fit my hand well, and textured surface feels weird, similar to sandpaper. And did I mention the driver software is buggy? In all, I was very disappointed in this mouse. If only Logitech would put the G602's new sensor in the G700s... then we could game for weeks between charges, and I'll be first in line to buy one.

I'm perfectly pleased with my G700s. The battery life is longer than the G700 (which I RMAed to get a brand new G700s), and seems to last pretty much two full days of use between charges if I forget to plug it in at night.

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Oct 5, 2013, 03:09 mag

Cutter wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 16:58:
Guess Blue is carousing tonight.

Those posters are pretty sweet. LOVE the Bambi one.

I would pay moneys to own the Alien one.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 3, 2013, 23:05 mag

I don't know how they didn't see that coming.

And the name is just *dumb*. It's the third Xbox. Hur. That's like Apple's "No! It's not the iPad 3! It's the NEW iPad! >:|"

News Comments > CD Projekt RED/ Dark Horse Fantasy Game Teased
6. Re: CD Projekt RED/ Dark Horse Fantasy Game Teased Oct 3, 2013, 14:53 mag

ASeven wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 13:21:
Conan RPG. Calling it!

Yesyesyespleaseyesyesyes

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe and New DX Game Revealed
31. Re: Deus Ex Universe and New DX Game Revealed Oct 3, 2013, 06:14 mag

Fantaz wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 23:25:
Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 19:17:
The only part of Deus Ex 3 I absolutely hated was the dog shit lazy cop-out ending. It felt like a parody of the "illusion of choice" at the end of Deus Ex 1. Everything else was good.

...which game is Deus Ex 3?

Human Revolution

News Comments > New Frictional Game Trailer
18. Re: New Frictional Game Trailer Oct 1, 2013, 17:56 mag

ItBurn wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 16:59:
mag wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 16:55:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 16:54:
You don't want a new System Shock, trust me. It would have to be made by Irrational and I don't know about you, but Bioshock is console trash. With an above average story, granted. Maybe if they sold the license.

EA owns System Shock, not Irrational.

Ok, yeah, but I was thinking, Ken Levine would make it, and he'd make Bioshock in space.

Fair enough! No argument there.

News Comments > New Frictional Game Trailer
16. Re: New Frictional Game Trailer Oct 1, 2013, 16:55 mag

ItBurn wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 16:54:
You don't want a new System Shock, trust me. It would have to be made by Irrational and I don't know about you, but Bioshock is console trash. With an above average story, granted. Maybe if they sold the license.

EA owns System Shock, not Irrational.

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals "On Hold"
31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 07:06 mag

Fletch wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 04:43:
mag wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 04:05:
For what it's worth, the first Metro is one of my favorite games in the past few years. The first hour is kind of crappy, and the shooting mechanics suck until you get a decent gun, but I really dug it by the end. I don't recall any QTEs...

Hmmm, I have it on Steam. Maybe I'll give it another shot then. No QTEs? I may be confusing it with something else, but I do remember the action, at least in the beginning, was pretty sparse, and I lost interest pretty quickly.

No promises. I played it kind of a while ago, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit (in that I actually got around to finishing it). It is most definitely heavily scripted and linear like most modern shooters, but it at least offered something different in atmosphere.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 04:05 mag

Fletch wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 03:30:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 23:44:
I'm sure you'll provide examples of how classic single player FPS games from ten years ago are superior to the likes of Bioshock Infinite, FC3: Blood Dragon, Metro: Last Light, or Dishonored. You can't really, with the possible exception of the original Half Life and maybe Duke Nukem 3D. The modern ones are simply superior, both in gameplay and presentation. So why are you laughing?

Mag's list is a damn good start. I'd add Aliens vs. Predator, the Serious Sams, Unreal, the Unreal Tournaments, Far Cry (almost 10 years old), Descent, Descent II, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Rainbow Six, Doom, Doom II, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Call of Duty, Operation Flashpoint, Rise of the Triad, Undying, etc, etc, etc...

I'll give you modern games are superior in graphics, but graphics don't make a better game. Personally, I really don't give a rat's ass about graphics. Gameplay is everything, and there simply aren't many PC games today that stack up to the gameplay and FUN of the older games. Multi-platform development has resulted in new FPSs that are nothing but heaps of consolized shit. Bioshock was fun, but Bioshock Infinite was made for the console kiddies. Extremely boring. The first Metro bored the shit out of me. Horrible shooter with what seemed like 5 minutes of QTEs and walking around looking for ammo for every 30 seconds of restricted corridor shooter gameplay. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but if it didn't interest me in an hour... not my fault. Modern FPSs are developed for consoles first, and that has had a pretty negative effect on the gameplay. You want to spend $60 so you can ooh and aah over pretty graphics, go ahead. I'll reinstall Doom II again and actually have some fun.

For what it's worth, the first Metro is one of my favorite games in the past few years. The first hour is kind of crappy, and the shooting mechanics suck until you get a decent gun, but I really dug it by the end. I don't recall any QTEs...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2013, 23:59 mag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 23:44:
Fletch wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 21:12:
Suppa7 wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 18:36:
For instance modern FPS have better (overall) single player minus aspects of gameplay than almost any classic game (because of modern hollywood techniques and improved aesthetics and lessons learned over 20 years of making shooters).

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Clueless...

I'm sure you'll provide examples of how classic single player FPS games from ten years ago are superior to the likes of Bioshock Infinite, FC3: Blood Dragon, Metro: Last Light, or Dishonored. You can't really, with the possible exception of the original Half Life and maybe Duke Nukem 3D. The modern ones are simply superior, both in gameplay and presentation. So why are you laughing?

Ten+ years ago gives us access to NOLF 1/2, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, DE: IW (which is better than many modern shooters and was regarded as shit at the time), Thief 1/2, Jedi Knight 1/2, Max Payne, SHOGO, Heretic 1/2, Hexen 1/2, Half-Life...

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
17. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 29, 2013, 23:36 mag

Axis wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 21:28:
Let me ask you something, Congress and their aides are EXEMPT FROM Obamacare. The same DEMS who DEMANDS YOU TAKE IT! Is it a good deal or a bad one? Know anything about Obamacare? Talk to your insurance provider recently? Do you even give a shit enough about your own self to GET INSURANCE?

Oh my god stop repeating untruths. There's plenty wrong with the law, but repeating talk radio talking points doesn't get us anywhere.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 17:47 mag

Axis wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 17:40:
What Aseven said is correct. The Castlestory devs have been barely updating it since the kickstarter finished, giving more lip-service than any development.

Shouldn't be on steam is my opinion.

Yes. Aside from being completely wrong, ASeven was correct.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:07 mag

ASeven wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 12:48:
nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 12:23:
Anyone playing Castle Story? Impressions? I came close to backing it on KS, but wasn't sure how it would turn out.

Also, I think 7 is supposed to be Planetary Annihilation? I'd be curious about impressions for it as well.

According to the Kickstarter page and Steam Forums, Castle Story is smelling like a scam, with the devs having only recently releasing patches after a year of silence. Game was supposed to come out a year and a half ago and it seems the game is very lacking in promised features as well.

While they are definitely behind schedule, ASeven is hugely exaggerating. The kickstarter only ended a year ago. They were supposed to release a prototype last October and a beta shortly after. The prototype was released at the end of the year and they gave beta users access to it about six months ago. There has been a huge amount of work done on it in those six months, from what I can tell.

Edit: And Planetary Annihilation is making impressive progress. I haven't had time to really sit down with it, but there are plenty of videos of people playing the alpha on youtube. I can report impressions when I've gotten to put a few hours into the beta.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Sep 28, 2013, 03:32 mag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 02:50:
People complain about Kotaku, but that was a great article.

And the comments explain why most of Kotaku is such crap. "tl;dr" featured prominently.

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
49. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 28, 2013, 03:10 mag

This thread is hilarious.  

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins
9. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 14:07 mag

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 13:31:
Creston wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 10:59:
I'll be honest and say that the main reason I didn't back this is because the graphics style threw me off.

I didn't back it because the amount of money you need to make a good rts is way more then 3 million. The original supcom had 10 mill, supcom 2 had 5 million.

3 million just isn't enough. I hope the mod community can make some cool mods for PA since the developer just doesn't have the resources/talent to do a full fledged next gen RTS.

PA is juts a retread of the same damn game we've all been playing for years already sadly.

They are reducing costs with the lack of a SP campaign and by having the planets be largely procedurally generated. The factions also have symmetric units, which means no unit balancing troubles. And they already had some tech put together. And they're using a relatively simplified graphical style.

All that together, and you can do it on the cheap.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 26, 2013, 05:56 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 01:32:
Heh, AMD's mantle is gonna be interesting, assuming it's 100% hardware agnostic... but what interests me more is what AMD plans to do with it's failed CPU line up... are they really gonna continue the Bulldog architecture?

I believe they're playing the long game with the new architecture. From their recent roadmaps it sounds like the standalone CPU-only Bulldozer-derived cores are coming to their end, with a continued focus on the APU side (Bulldozer-derived cores + GPU on a chip).

The integration between the CPU and GPU should be tightening more and more over the next couple of generations, and it seems quite likely that they want programming languages/compilers to advance to the point where you don't need to take (too m)any special considerations to make use of the GPU part. When that happens, the shit-tastic Bulldozer FPU can go away.

Risky gamble.

2396 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo