Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2344 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2013, 00:14 mag

Rabble rabble. Nevermind.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
20. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 27, 2013, 23:20 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 22:44:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 13:55:
Grumpy Sod wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 13:52:
... 'we cannot, no matter how hard we try, get anything to run at 1080p. we've been told we have to, with the current memory holding it back, but it's just not going to happen, it's pretty miserable'. ...

if PS4 does 4K but Xbox One can't even do 1080p then I don't think the Xbone will last a full console cycle...

So it will display worse than xbox 360? Although it is upscaling, it is going to be a step backward!? Good job *slow clap*

BUT BUT BUT THIS IS THE NEXT GENERATION! It will be better than everything (except a pc built 4 years ago)

Not sure what you're saying. Neither the 360 nor PS3 can do 1080p either, except in very few, very limited cases. Halo 3 and the CoD games are 540p on the 360, aren't they?

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 27, 2013, 19:04 mag

PHJF wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 17:38:
You forgot the part about it including 20-25mbps internet service, numbskull.

And on-demand, and broadcast TV.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2013, 03:19 mag

Sepharo wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 01:01:
Hilarious...

If I want to use HD on Amazon Prime Instant Video I have to leave my TV on because my desktop display is not HDCP compliant but my secondary display the TV I hardly use is. Weirdly enough I prefer watching movies and TV at my desk. If I turn the TV off the Amazon player will detect and immediately switch back to SD only.

I try to go legit with my media and all they want to do is figure out ways to fuck me over and make piracy still the better product.

edit: Hahah and if I try to watch it on my TV display I need to leave my non-HDCP desktop display on or else it reverts... Basically both have to be on for me to have HD content. That is against their own idiotic rules, a pop-up came up saying all displays need to be HDCP, except my only working configuration is one HDCP and one non-HDCP.

edit2: Okay I figured it all out... Apparently both my displays are HDCP compliant but if I have them both hooked up they need both be powered on. If I physically unhook one or the other Prime will let me play HD on either.

Desktop and TV cabled and both powered = HDCP
Desktop and TV cabled only one powered = No HDCP
Only Desktop cabled and powered = HDCP
Only TV cabled and powered = HDCP

Huh. What a bunch of crap. That must be brand new--I'd never had that problem before trying today. My PC monitor isn't HDCP compliant.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 24, 2013, 22:26 mag

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 13:13:
mag wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 23:16:
Axis wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 00:06:
Prime recently changed to need $25 bucks worth, but its a change that made good sense I'm actually glad they did it.

Hm? Prime still gives me free 2-day shipping on everything.

It isn't "everything." It's everything Amazon would normally carry.
There are add-on items, like a $1.99 box of pencils, that Amazon wouldn't sell otherwise. They created the entire "add-on" program for that reason. Just little things that are entirely uneconomical to sell online.

Want pencils? Either buy a carton, or buy something else and throw a smaller box in.

Everything with a Prime logo next to it. Which is exactly the same as it's been for years.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2013, 22:25 mag

I loved BF1942, and I loved BF2--except that punkbuster kicks me every time I load it.

I found BF3 kind of unplayable, though. I'm not colorblind, but I found it essentially impossible to distinguish characters from background. Depth of field, motion blur, the blue/green/yellow filter they apply to everything. Whatever it was, I couldn't see shit.

Kinda killed any desire to play BF4, which is a damn shame.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 23, 2013, 23:16 mag

Axis wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 00:06:
Prime recently changed to need $25 bucks worth, but its a change that made good sense I'm actually glad they did it.

Hm? Prime still gives me free 2-day shipping on everything.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2013, 02:27 mag

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 01:32:
mag wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 01:06:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 00:38:
Oh man! What a Colts game! I called that one on beattheinsiders but went 8-6 overall. Its a scary thing to be rooting against Peyton with 2m to go even with the lead.

I picked the Broncos, but this one felt like it had Upset written all over it. I expected it to be a case of just being out-played--the Broncos were looking kinda tired.

Colts didn't win this one, though. The Broncos players were either acting like middle schoolers, or the refs just really had it in for them. SO MANY penalties. And the pass interference calls were silly when the Colts were draping themselves all over the Broncos for the whole game.

...also there was what's-his-name dropping the ball every time he touched it...

There were some questionable calls, but thats true for every nfl football game. As for Colts not winning, i'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Anyways, i'm just glad it was a good game.

You're right, that was too strong. Luck had a great game, and they crushed the Broncos running game except for like one play. I just couldn't believe how many opportunities they threw away on dumb-dumb-dumb-ultra-dumb penalties.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2013, 01:06 mag

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 00:38:
Oh man! What a Colts game! I called that one on beattheinsiders but went 8-6 overall. Its a scary thing to be rooting against Peyton with 2m to go even with the lead.

I picked the Broncos, but this one felt like it had Upset written all over it. I expected it to be a case of just being out-played--the Broncos were looking kinda tired.

Colts didn't win this one, though. The Broncos players were either acting like middle schoolers, or the refs just really had it in for them. SO MANY penalties. And the pass interference calls were silly when the Colts were draping themselves all over the Broncos for the whole game.

...also there was what's-his-name dropping the ball every time he touched it...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2013, 16:32 mag

I picked the Pats, but hahahahaha, hilarious. Pouty Brady face. >:|  

6. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2013, 02:19 mag

Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 00:04:
I too picked the Giants because they can't go 0-7 can they? Cereal? I mean the law of freakin averages says they're past due for a win at this point. Then again I picked the Cards because I though they were close to the Seahawks and homefield advantage would nudge them by. So maybe the Giants can go winless this season!

Yeah, I really don't know. I mean, Eli's been a champ this year. He goes out there and sucks as hard as he can every week, and he's doing a damn fine job of it. But if we look at the last few years, occasionally he fails to suck in a pretty spectacular way, and I'm worried that he's just not going to be able to suck as bad as the Vikes this week.

News Comments > Terra Ex Kickstarter
13. Re: Terra Ex Kickstarter Oct 17, 2013, 18:13 mag

Christ you people are hypercritical pedants.

This is for everyone in this thread.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3146#comic

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 17, 2013, 04:01 mag

nin wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 20:58:
Tom wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 20:57:
...except it's not even cheap...

They're $50.

They are $500.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Announced for 64-bit PCs
33. Re: Into the Black Oct 16, 2013, 03:49 mag

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 00:33:
UConnBBall wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 22:22:
BUT when have they earned this kind of trust? Everything from Stardock has been a mess for what 7 years!

In 7 years we got two great Galciv2 expansions and the entirety of the SOASE franchise. Good enough for me.

Edit: For anyone who has never played Galciv I encourage you to read these two gameplay diaries written by Tom Francis, the guy who also made the excellent Gunpoint. They give you a good insight to the game and are wonderfully hilarious to read.

Those are fantastic. I think I read one of them a very long time ago but completely forgot about it.

News Comments > etc.
28. Re: DXHR Oct 15, 2013, 00:37 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 01:16:
mag wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 22:37:
Like every game made this decade, the input lag is fixed by disabling vsync in game and enabling it (and triple buffering) in your video card's drivers.

Hey, nice tip.

YMMV, but it's a recurring problem with pretty much every "AAA" game for the past however many years. I have no idea what's wrong with game devs. But, doing this tends to either fix it entirely or at least make it tolerable, in most games.

I have an AMD card and use RadeonPro to force triple buffering since it's not in the CCC. nvidia cards have a similar program you can use.

2. Re: Into the Black Oct 15, 2013, 00:27 mag

Cutter wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 00:10:
The Oatmeal does it again! Down with Columbus Day! Up with Bartolome Day!

And bets on who's going to show up here to defend Columbus?

News Comments > DICE: Linux Needs "One Killer App or Game"
33. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 13, 2013, 23:13 mag

JeffD wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 15:00:
Linux needs a killer linux! If Linux distros ran as good, looked as good, and was as easy to use as MacOS, we would see alot more users on it. We need to stop the 10 million graphical front end and just center on one. We don't NEED all these choices.. what we need is something we can install that is as easy to use and looks as good as the current 2 consumer operating systems.

You are under no obligation to deviate from the default KDE or GNOME desktop that is included on most Linux distributions. Or whatever Ubuntu's using these days. They all look fine and are easy to use. If you don't want to make a choice, don't make one. Install Ubuntu, install Steam. Done.

Personally I think MacOS is a UI nightmare, though.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: DXHR Oct 13, 2013, 22:37 mag

vrok wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 17:27:
Quboid wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 11:39:
It looks like more than just a patched up version, nothing wrong with charging a bit for it IMHO. Why do you think you're entitled to new boss fights, improved graphics and AI, or developer's commentary for free?
I don't give a crap about developer's commentary, and yes, everything else could just as well have been in patches, or even an expansion that also improved upon the base game if they really wanted to charge for the extra work done that they should've done in the first place.

You can call it entitlement if you want. I don't really care because you could use that argument for anything patch related. It's a completely meaningless argument. I'm simply voting with my wallet.

Boss fights sucked ass and were even outsourced. Giant Square Enix failure. They deserved to be done right.

AI was too stupid to deal with stealth and silencers. Making it a very boring style of play.

DX11 produced input lag for quite a lot of people so they were forced to play in DX9. Wasn't even fixed for Missing Link. DLC was more important than fixing the game.

I can deal with games and especially console game PC ports being unsupported, but charging for fixing this stuff is ridiculous. My reaction would be no less even if it cost less than a dollar.

Like every game made this decade, the input lag is fixed by disabling vsync in game and enabling it (and triple buffering) in your video card's drivers.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 12, 2013, 14:39 mag

Panickd wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 16:50:
mag wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 16:36:
Does the 360 have any decent non-FPS games that aren't either available on the PC or PS3?

Pretty much any kinect game...

But outside of that most of their exclusives do tend towards first person or third person shooters.

Are there good Kinect games? I honestly haven't heard of any. I'd be interested to know.

I mean, I didn't mean my question to be snarky. I just never picked up a 360, but I own a PC and a PS3. And I'm incapable of playing FPS games on gamepads, so those're out. Was wondering if I was missing out on anything.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2013, 14:35 mag

dubfanatic wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 12:47:
It's funny how nerds can be so rational and logical about things, and then when it comes to pet topics like DRM or online privacy they throw it all out the window.

Guess what nerds? It's already like this now. If you write software that breaks the DRM built into Flash or Silverlight you will get in trouble. That ship sailed about 15 years ago. Yes it sucks that people pay for DRM but the free market that libertarian nerds love so much has decided that it's worth having around. Why keep it in annoying, insecure, inefficient plugins and not move it into the browser natively? Then all you nerds can actually watch Netflix on Linux! Oh right, nerds don't use Netflix because OH GOD DRM SAVE ME RICHARD STALLMAN

The new meme seems to be nerd = person that cares about anything at all ever?

2344 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo