Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2395 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 23, 2014, 00:02 mag

killer_roach wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 21:43:
mag wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 19:32:
Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 18:20:
Right now it's estimated that every adult US taxpayer has subsidized Apple to the tune of about 50k per person. Nor does it say anything else about Apple abuses people around the world as well. But you go on being a corporate apologist for them. It's all your good for. Must be nice to live life without a soul or conscience.

Dude. That's $7 Trillion.

Actually, it's more than that. There's about 230 million adults in the US (assuming you're referring to those 18+), which would mean that, times $50,000, you're looking at $11.15 trillion, or roughly 70% of US GDP.

~140 million filed tax returns.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 19:32 mag

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 18:20:
Right now it's estimated that every adult US taxpayer has subsidized Apple to the tune of about 50k per person. Nor does it say anything else about Apple abuses people around the world as well. But you go on being a corporate apologist for them. It's all your good for. Must be nice to live life without a soul or conscience.

Dude. That's $7 Trillion.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 19, 2014, 21:34 mag

nin wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 20:41:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 19:25:
Wow, I thought it would take a year or two for XBones inferior hardware to really lag behind what was being done on PS4. I was really, really wrong. It seems like ALL of the third party, cross platform games run better and look better on the PS4 already. Crazy.

I can only imagine the meetings that MS is having right now...I suspect lots of yelling is going on.

It's so drastic now because the PS4 gets you the best performance with the least extra work. MS has a couple of quirks to their hardware that could narrow the performance gap, but you have to work extra to make use of them.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2014, 14:07 mag

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:39:
Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:07:
Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:12:
I've had coloured keyboards but I've found only the red led isn't distracting and helps. Seeing as I always eat and drink at my keyboard I destroy them pretty fast so now silicone covers are far more important to me.

Makes sense. There's a reason cockpits have red lighting - your eyes have more red cones and can therefore see better in less red light. In order to see well in blue light, it needs to be brighter and will blow out your night vision.

Part of the reason why I hate the damn blue LEDs on everything. Yeah, I like blue much more than red, but in the dark those blue LEDs are blinding.

Heh, the stereo I put in my Jeep has two light modes - Red and Blue. I never use the blue because it's absolutely blinding at night. On a CAR stereo. Hello, genius designer, what was the point of including the blue LEDs? Oh, they're more visible in the day. Too bad switching the light mode involves using the remote to dig 6 layers deep into a menu.

Oh, and the default mode is blue. Because...they want people to crash?

My dash is all orange, which is pretty awesome. My stereo is blue, though, which is annoying. It's not really terribly bright, though, so it's not a big deal.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2014, 01:28 mag

Acleacius wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 20:11:
Beamer wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 17:07:
Eh. I'm sure, to the devs, the game is more about humans than zombies. Allowing co-op would be like allowing someone to play Mario Brothers, but the goombas would fight alongside you and take out any koopa troopers.
Riiiight! Hahaha_no

Panickd wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 18:32:
But you can play that way with your friends already. It's just that everyone on the server may not be playing the same way as you are. And given that the zombies aren't even in the game yet what would you be doing in a "coop" server? Sight seeing without the risk of being shot? Not really much of a game. Even when the namesake zeds get added in they'll undoubtedly be just as ineffective at stopping players as they were in the mod. The only thing that made them dangerous in the mod was the glitchy way in which they spawned.

Given how well the game has been selling I doubt the developers have any interest in increasing the uptake right now. But I bet you that once they finish it there will be numerous mods out there that will do what you're looking for.
Your still arguing about a choice, no one is forcing you to play. If you don't understand or appreciate Coop, why debate it's choice? Sounds like there's lots of things to do, when your not getting ganked! Backstab Biting

It's probably partially to avoid fracturing the 'community'. A selling point for many of the PVPers is probably playing with people that don't want to PVP, but don't have any recourse if they want to play the game. If they all leave and go to co-op servers, who are all of the gankers going to gank. The game is not for the people that want to be safe all the time. Those people are a feature for the game's actual target audience.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 20:49 mag

Panickd wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 18:19:
Why is GoPro going public? They're already a very successful multi-billion dollar company. Why would anyone in their right mind give up any control over a company like that?

Because you don't want to run the company anymore and want to cash out while you can.

News Comments > Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman
19. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:51 mag

And they made Stephen Elop (the guy they sent to sabotage Nokia, so that they could buy it) the head of the Expanded Devices Division (which includes newly-purchased Nokia, Xbox, etc).  

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
26. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 14:17 mag

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 10:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 10:06:
vacs wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 10:00:
You do know that there is a 64-bit version XP Pro available? So XP users can still play this game when it comes out
I did know that, but I have no idea if they represent 1, 5, 10, or 50% of the installed XP base. If I had to guess, I'd guess under 10%.

From what I'd heard a few years ago, it was buggy as fuck and no one used it.

edit: There's also a 32 bit version of 7, but no one uses that, either.

I used WinXP 64 for a while. It was, indeed, awful. That may have mostly been the state of the 64-bit drivers, though.

Win7 32 actually makes up a disappointingly large number of fresh installs on new computers. It's more common than you think.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Feb 4, 2014, 04:37 mag

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 00:32:
There's a reason Disney employees refer to it as Mauschwitz. They're still not as bad as Apple though.

At some point the order came down from on high that calling it that would get you fired.

Within the day everyone was calling it Duckau.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 22:14 mag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 18:55:
Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 17:12:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:53:

Drug od at 46? Hows that legal argument now?

So if someone commits suicide with a gun should those be illegal too? I am extremely libertarian when it comes to individual rights, so yes, I absolutely think drugs should be legal.

It's funny you should mention that. The majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides. Countries with much stricter gun laws (i.e. Japan, UK, Australia) have not only lower gun deaths, but also lower suicide rates. Guns just make it way to easy with no chance of reversal, unlike other methods of suicides.

Prohibition of drugs, on the other hand simply hasn't worked over the past 40 years, despite billions of dollars and tens of thousands of law enforcement personnel applied.

I'm for what is proven to work. Decriminalization of drugs appears to work, at least it has in Portugal and in other "experiments." It's a model to emulate. As for guns, I'm under no illusions that we'll get gun ownership rates as low as countries like Japan, nor will we make gun ownership laws as strict as that either. But unlike drugs, restricting guns has worked in other countries to reduce both homicides and suicides.

I don't think overall suicide rates are correlated very strongly with gun laws.

Wikipedia

Japan has a far greater suicide rate, the UK's is only slightly lower than the US's, Canada (with more permissive gun laws) has a lower rate than the UK...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2014, 13:29 mag

InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 13:15:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 12:24:
InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 10:53:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 10:17:
InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 10:07:
Holy fucking shit, you gotta be kidding me, so Marijuana, LSD and MDMA are Schedule I drugs. Cocaine, Opium, and Meth are Schedule II. Well now there you have it. I have to admit that I didnt know that, but it makes sense I guess in a twisted, paranoid, fucked up greedy way.

If you research and fully understand the schedules, it makes perfect sense.

Is that a nicer way of telling me that I'm ignorant?? Well since they teach you all that at cop school I guess, how bout explaining to me why there is a ban on research of Schedule I drugs, unlike the drugs listed under Schedule II??

http://www.rsdhope.org/schedule-or-classes-of-drugs.html

Most important part of that very short info is:
The main difference between a Schedule, or Class, 1 and 2 is whether or not the drug is deemed to have a valid medical application.

Don't need "cop school" to look it up and have very general knowledge about why one this is "ok" and one isn't. Now it should make perfect sense.

(cop school part: Those are federal schedules, but states just adopt the same schedules)

It still makes no sense at all. How the fuck is anyone supposed to determine whether a drug has valid medical applications if research is banned on said drug??

Ding ding ding.

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Video
10. Re: Dark Souls 2 Video Jan 31, 2014, 13:25 mag

Redmask wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 07:18:
Invaders are at a significant disadvantage though. Like he said you can just play offline if you don't want to be invaded, some of us like the excitement it provides as enemy AI only goes so far.

They've said that they made refinements to magic and several other gameplay systems, they don't show much in the video though.

You can now aim magic like a bows, do light or heavy spells (R1/R2), and there are some spells that designed to come from angles other than head on. You can also get items to recharge your spell uses, instead of needing to rest. Not sure what else.

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Video
6. Re: Dark Souls 2 Video Jan 31, 2014, 00:28 mag

PHJF wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 23:35:
Dunno, combat just looks too unchanged/unimproved. Dark Souls was already basically more of the same, itself... isn't looking like they are trying to move forward at all.

They made bare hands and shields viable as weapons, added a dual-wielding stance, allow two-handed weapons to parry, made backstabs interruptable and harder to pull off, gave a riposte-like thing after guard breaks, added a lot more variability to character builds with all of the new stats... what do you want??

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Spanx? Jan 21, 2014, 09:50 mag

10/10. Ha.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jan 20, 2014, 22:06 mag

nin wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 21:12:
Well there ya go! Good to know!

It's not my sort of game (over-the-shoulder shooter, puke), but a lot of people actually seem to like Spec Ops for the moral ambiguity is contributes to the modern military shoots. Zero Punctuation had a good review.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 20, 2014, 21:39 mag

ViRGE wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 20:49:
saluk wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 19:49:
Everyone I know who has a wii u really likes it. But the large portion of casuals who would buy in think it's some weird wii upgrade and they already have a wii.
Does anyone know someone who actually thinks this? Every person I know is aware that the Wii U is the new Wii. I see this rationale thrown around a lot, but it seems unfounded.

My parents are owners of a Wii. I doubt they have any idea what a Wii U is, at all.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 20, 2014, 19:20 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 18:42:
Money on the table. Lots of people want to play Nintendo that don't own or want to own their hardware.

Mario on smart phones would probably be the dumbest thing they could do right now. You could make a case for maybe putting the old games there, but to actually release new games on iOS would destroy them. It would turn their strongest brand into something on the same level as a Zynga rip-off. That's not where you want to be.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: 123456 Jan 20, 2014, 18:45 mag

Obligatory:

"That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!"

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 19, 2014, 22:16 mag

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:59:
mag wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:28:
Axis wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:17:
Whatever nintendo needs to do is fine by me, my family got my moneys worth out if it already easily -- can only get better.

Couple games we're looking forward to, particularly super smash bros.

I'd really like to see the Wii U turn it around. I'll pick one up as soon as the price drops and they get a few more games on there. Get Zelda and Smash Bros and we're almost there.

Eh.
To me, they screwed up by being lazy with the Wii versions:
Smash Brothers wasn't as fun as Melee (though, admittedly, people said the same thing about Melee, but the Wii version lacked a lot of magic for me)
Mario Kart was fun, but they oddly took awful levels from old versions rather than great ones. I would have loved if they just added map packs. Seriously, that's the game that would get me to buy DLC. $1 a map, even if they're just updated old ones? Sold!
Zelda games... I know I'm in the minority, but nothing has changed since the N64. Twilight Princess used the same animations and sounds for many actions as Wind Waker. Too much deja vu for me to see and hear those again

The best Wii games, for me, were mostly new ones. Boom Blox was tough to beat.
And, hypocritically, I still find the best Zelda games to be the 2D ones.

I never grabbed a Wii, so I'm looking forward to playing all of those games, too. I played the heck out of the NES Zelda when I was young, but skipped the SNES for the N64, so Ocarina of Time is really my *formative* Zelda game. It's my favorite by far.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
4. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 19, 2014, 22:13 mag

Sigh. The proposed NSA reforms are pretty skimpy. "We won't spy on the leaders of our closest allies." Lots of wiggle room there. "We'll offload the cost of storing all of your data to the telecoms themselves, and the rubberstamp court will have to rubberstamp requests for data." Ugh. And now all of the other law enforcement agencies will get to submit requests for the exact same data.  

2395 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo