Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2398 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 7, 2014, 15:58 mag

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2014, 14:48:
And that's why the justices should only serve a 4 year term so you can get fresh blood in there.

We don't do this because it makes it easier for one party to get a complete hold on all three branches of government. Imagine if Bush or Obama got to appoint the entire Supreme Court.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2014, 20:49 mag

nin wrote on May 4, 2014, 19:36:
mag wrote on May 4, 2014, 19:06:
jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2014, 15:48:
nin wrote on May 4, 2014, 13:45:
The Half Elf wrote on May 4, 2014, 13:42:
Thank Yoda that Lucas is no longer part of the future of Star Wars.

Yeah, I think I now look at May 4th as "George Lucas Forgiveness Day".

Also, check these out. They look great in 720...found them earlier this week.

Wow, did you DL and watch it? 17.5 GBs...

Also, when my son was six and watched the special edition, he said, "It was cool when the Death Star exploded, but that ring looked fake." referring to the CG ring added to make the explosion more "epic" and "cooler."

I tracked down and downloaded these last year some time (so an older version, I think), but they're pretty beautifully restored. It's great watching the 'theatrical' versions of the movies again.

He has a newsletter you can sign up for there, and I got an email the other day saying he was working on an update of ESP next.

I'm amazed at the quality, and I think it really puts Lucas' "it can't be done" excuses to shame.

Nice, great to hear. I think I do recall noting that v2.0 of Star Wars looked quite a bit cleaner than the ESB version (though that was still very nice).

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. May 4, 2014, 19:09 mag

jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2014, 15:31:
Man, I'd love to see a modern version of Heretic or Hexen. When will someone KS that?

Yeeeeees. That would be one of my most-wanted things. I would love to see those games redone on a modern engine. I wouldn't even care if the game was a bit modernified, or if it was done like the new Shadow Warrior.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2014, 19:06 mag

jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2014, 15:48:
nin wrote on May 4, 2014, 13:45:
The Half Elf wrote on May 4, 2014, 13:42:
Thank Yoda that Lucas is no longer part of the future of Star Wars.

Yeah, I think I now look at May 4th as "George Lucas Forgiveness Day".

Also, check these out. They look great in 720...found them earlier this week.

Wow, did you DL and watch it? 17.5 GBs...

Also, when my son was six and watched the special edition, he said, "It was cool when the Death Star exploded, but that ring looked fake." referring to the CG ring added to make the explosion more "epic" and "cooler."

I tracked down and downloaded these last year some time (so an older version, I think), but they're pretty beautifully restored. It's great watching the 'theatrical' versions of the movies again.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 4, 2014, 18:52 mag

Worldwide tablet sales drop 35.7% after the holidays.

The Tablet era is over!!11111! The era of the the smartwatch/smartglasses has begun! Only ten people have them, but sales have increased by infinity percent over two years ago!

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews May 3, 2014, 05:13 mag

shihonage wrote on May 3, 2014, 00:13:
Yes, having taste is a gift and a curse.

It sounds like the people on RPG Codex were pissed off because Wasteland 2 wasn't Fallout 2, whereas the Wasteland fans thought it was fine. So RPG Codex is a bunch of relative newbies thinking they're the old guard.

And then, because inXile is good guys, they made some adjustments to Falloutify it a bit, and that pissed off the Wasteland fans, which made RPG Codex flipflop over to hating it for that reason. So they're just a bunch of petulant children. The official Wasteland 2 thread on RPG Codex is even called the "Butthurt Thread." Even other RPG Codexers realize how stupid their community is.

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
24. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 17:09 mag

Cutter wrote on May 1, 2014, 15:29:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on May 1, 2014, 15:13:
"No work I have ever done has been patented".

Not sure who's in the right here, but this statement is bullshit. Something doesn't have to be patented to claim ownership. If Carmack developed code while working at Zenimax, then they have a possible claim to said code.

Sometimes you simply can't have your cake and eat it too. Once iD was sold, loosely handling these types of IP related collaborations is a dangerous game. That's the price of selling out.

That's it in a nutshell. Regardless how people feel about Zenimax, if they're correct they very much have a very legal leg to stand on. And Carmack and the OVR boys should have known better. You don't have to be a lawyer to understand if you're helping another company while on another company's dime, there's going to be repercussions.

He conceded that the code is owned by Zenimax, but since it's not patented they can't claim ownership of the ideas behind it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2014, 01:59 mag

Creston wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 21:53:
Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 20:22:
Creston wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 15:33:
I do enjoy ME more than Fallout. I was never really a massive fan of the first two, and while I love FO3 and NV, I don't love them as much as I do ME.

Hand in your gamer card, sir! How anyone can not absolutely adore FO1/2 is too insane to contemplate!

No, my gamer card is fine where it is. I don't think FO1/2 are the greatest RPGs of all time. OMG SOMEONE WITH A DIFFERENT OPINION SHOOT HIM DEAD!

Creston is history's greatest monster.

News Comments > From Software Sold
17. Re: From Software Sold Apr 28, 2014, 15:08 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 11:35:
mag wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 10:29:
BitWraith wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 09:59:
Well, I reckon that's the end of the Dark Souls franchise.

Well, three solid games in a series is about as good as you can ever hope, I guess.

If by solid game you mean 2 games that are abysmal console ports ...

Crying

News Comments > From Software Sold
3. Re: From Software Sold Apr 28, 2014, 10:29 mag

BitWraith wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 09:59:
Well, I reckon that's the end of the Dark Souls franchise.

Well, three solid games in a series is about as good as you can ever hope, I guess.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2014, 17:24 mag

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 14:50:
France is the “second most important producer of video games in the world,” says French government…

I'd probably put Sweden above France. Also, the UK used to be great, but has fallen a bit by the wayside.

Japan over all of Europe, definitely, though they are a bit on the way out.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II
30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 06:26 mag

InBlack wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 06:00:
Some poeple seem to be missing a point here. Sure the game works great with a controller, but thats not the issue. The issue is that the developers LIED and claimed the game would work well with KB&M.

I actually just did a little running around with mouse and keyboard and--well, I would need to rebind some keys, but it works fine. Much better than the first one. What are your complaints?

If you want your character's view/aim to track the movement of the mouse, that's just not how the game works. It doesn't work like that with a game pad. Intentionally. They don't *want* you running around free-aiming your spells and bows--the aim mechanic is an intentional handicap, you have to sacrifice your mobility.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II
22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 01:41 mag

Frijoles wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 18:16:
Yay! Oh.. crash to desktop. Seems quite a few people can't get it to launch. Not a good way to start.

Edit: Works if I physically unplug my primary monitor (DVI). However then it's on my second, shitty monitor off to the side. Fails to launch if I unplug the second monitor. Lots and lots of people having this problem. Seems related to HDMI somehow.

For what it's worth, I have three displays, one on DVI, one on DisplayPort, and one on HDMI, with the displayport as the primary display, and it starts fine for me.

Runs beautifully, too. 2560x1440. Great frame rates. Much better looking than on the PS3.

Sorry to hear others are having trouble--yeah, the keyboard controls are still pretty crummy (you can't hit esc to back out of menus, have to use the mouse to click).

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2014, 01:46.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2014, 19:45 mag

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 16:52:
nin wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 15:54:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 15:47:
@nin & Cutter

Here's Brian and Jimmy discussing whether Brian is colluding on the rap videos. They also talk about the process of making them, and who does it.

HA! That's funny as hell! Looks like he's got quite the sense of humor about it...

Brian Williams ability to deadpan is flawless.

He's always excellent on his Daily Show appearances, too.

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Begins in October
31. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 15:17 mag

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 13:05:
Well, I wasn't expecting a sort of Dragon Age Inquisition.

Looks pretty hackneyed and stilted to me.

NO ONE expects the Dragon Age Inquisition!

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 15, 2014, 03:13 mag

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 21:47:
Guardian and Washington Post win Pulitzer prize for NSA revelations.

Good on them. The sad thing is that if Greenwald left Brazil to come to the USA to receive his award, he'd be arrested and thrown in jail for being a journalist. I really have no confidence in my own government to leave the man alone.

He came to the US a few days ago.

Linkalink

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 22:16 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 20:05:
nin wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 18:25:
Not sure what to make of Harmonix. One says yes, one says no.

I got tired of Rock Band and other games like it. Guitars, drums, and mic collecting dust for some time now....I don't have (nor want) the time to put into it to get to the higher levels....it was more of a "have friends over and mess around" sort of thing.

Rocksmith is a pretty cool replacement, and it gets you using a real guitar. The cable is finicky sometimes, but it's pretty neat.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 10, 2014, 16:37 mag

I only ever "upgraded" from Win2k to WinPlayschool because one of the late betas of Supreme Commander finally blocked Win2k users in a way that I couldn't circumvent easily. It made me sad.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours
11. Re: Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours Apr 10, 2014, 13:58 mag

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:55:
Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:15:
2 years is more than enough for a game of this size and caliber. As per usual this is typical Obsidian mismanagement again with production schedules. I'm sure they made a fuckton of money on South Park, so they should hire additional resources if needed to finish this. They're already 7 months over schedule. This is just one more reason I'm done with crowdsourcing. Schedules and time are very important in my books. So is keeping your word. If someone says they're going to do something by XYZ then the better do it or don't say it at all. Go tell your boss that whatever project he has you on you're going to delay it 6-12 months and see what his response is.

Good job ranting about a completely different developer than is involved here...

Laugh2 That's our Cutter.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: 4ktv Apr 9, 2014, 16:15 mag

jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 14:14:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 13:08:
nin wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 12:56:
Not to mention, at best, you're up scaling a 2K image.

Yeah it will be a while before we see native 4k movies, by that time the 4k TVs will come down in price also.
If the 4k trend catches on. If not, 4k will be the new 3D

Because it's an upgrade of an existing technology, and not a new one like 3D, I'm sure eventually it will be the standard. It's just a matter of how long it will take. Given how satisfied people are with 1080P, it'll probably be a good decade before 4K TVs are the majority.

Especially considering how only game consoles and Blu-Ray even do 1080p. Broadcast and cable TV top out at 720p/1080i. Netflix does 1080p, but it's so compressed that it's not really any better. I imagine their 4k will be the same.

2398 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo