Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2420 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month
8. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 01:05 mag

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 21:16:
So for those who got this, have you finished it yet? Was it good? Was there any sun praising?

I finished it, really liked it, really doubt I'll get as much play out of it as DS1. Glitches and bad port issues aside, I think DS1 is the better game.

Still, DS2 was worth the purchase and play. I'm at 80 hrs, and I'll probably get a fair number more. I'll probably buy the DLC, too. I just don't think it's going to be 400+ hrs like DS1 was.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2014, 16:22 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 05:29:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 01:17:
mag wrote on May 31, 2014, 15:16:
It's not like they have the ability to reprogram all of these old games. The source code of some of them doesn't even exist anymore! I'm perfectly okay with Wine.

It's not about the older games, it's the newer ones like Witcher 2 that is the concern. It was wrapped in a WINE shell, and so suffers massive power issues. One of those games that I MIGHT be able to get 20 FPS on lowest settings if I run it on Linux, but I know (having done it) I can get 30-40 FPS on max settings at 1080p.

Now, if you are a beginner to Linux and you're trying to use it for gaming, this doesn't look good and seems to do everything it can to make Linux look much slower then Windows.

I wonder if the Steam Machines can do something in hardware that would accelerate that.

The SteamOS way of playing non-Linux games is to stream them from a Windows computer. The Steam Machines themselves are just off-the-shelf PC components--there's not going to be any magic there.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 31, 2014, 15:16 mag

It's not like they have the ability to reprogram all of these old games. The source code of some of them doesn't even exist anymore! I'm perfectly okay with Wine.  

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2014, 03:01 mag

Quboid wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:09:
Can anyone recommend a 27" monitor? As far as I can see it's either 1440p@60hz or 1080p@120hz unless I feel like importing a QNIX QX2710 from South Korea and overclocking it, which I don't.

I'm pretty happy with my HP ZR2740w. They can be had for cheap because they're pretty bare-bones (no on-screen display controls or whatever), but that reduces their latency a bit (so I hear).

It's 2560x1440 @ 60Hz, and can be had for ~$300 refurbed pretty frequently. I got mine from woot for $300, I think. They have them for sale like every week.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Sets One-Day Sales Record
12. Re: Watch Dogs Sets One-Day Sales Record May 29, 2014, 01:19 mag

Creston wrote on May 29, 2014, 01:07:
jomisab wrote on May 28, 2014, 20:17:
Might have been better PR to announce how they are aggressively working to resolve launch issues.

They aren't. People will eventually stop trying to log in en masse, and then their paltry infrastructure will be able to handle the load.

It completely hosed all of UPlay. Pretty embarrassing. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't log into Rocksmith...

News Comments > Steam Machines Delayed
31. Re: Steam Machines Delayed May 28, 2014, 19:39 mag

Dagnamit wrote on May 28, 2014, 12:15:
I will heartily disagree with the "consoles are vastly overpowered" comment though. The Xbox 360 had a 8800 GTX under the hood, before the desktop card hit the shelves, and a 3 core CPU while most desktop parts were rockin' duals or singles. It was, for about 6 months, the highest quality gaming device available. The new ones had year old mid-range GPU's and low power mobile centric CPU's.

Not... really? The 360 had something similar to an ATI X1800. The 3-core 3.2GHz PowerPC is more difficult to compare, but yeah, probably no slouch. But 512MB of RAM to share between CPU and GPU was pretty paltry at the time.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 This Summer
5. Re: Wasteland 2 This Summer May 20, 2014, 20:47 mag

HorrorScope wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:32:
Cutter wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:04:
Six months overdue, not too bad but they should open up the beta to all KS backers. At least Larian is doing it right with DOS.

Man the latest DOS patch, this thing is playing super sweet. Wasteland and the other Baulder Gate wannabee's on the horizon have quite a bar to reach and this has coop and mod'ing ta boot.

Pretty sure I'm going to feel like an idiot, but what's DOS?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2014, 19:04 mag

dj LiTh wrote on May 19, 2014, 19:00:
mag wrote on May 19, 2014, 14:14:
Ozmodan wrote on May 19, 2014, 12:19:
So unless you are a heavy graphics user and the software you use is available for Unix, what good is Ubuntu to anyone with an expensive video card?

People that use OpenCL, people that dual-boot and don't want their card to be useless in Linux, people that play Linux-supporting games (of which there are more and more) that have been holding off because their video card has been comparatively underperforming, people interested in building a SteamOS box...

Ahhh yes, the point one percenters...

Buyers of expensive video cards are .1%ers anyway. They probably just shouldn't even be made, right?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2014, 14:14 mag

Ozmodan wrote on May 19, 2014, 12:19:
So unless you are a heavy graphics user and the software you use is available for Unix, what good is Ubuntu to anyone with an expensive video card?

People that use OpenCL, people that dual-boot and don't want their card to be useless in Linux, people that play Linux-supporting games (of which there are more and more) that have been holding off because their video card has been comparatively underperforming, people interested in building a SteamOS box...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization May 19, 2014, 14:02 mag

HorrorScope wrote on May 19, 2014, 11:07:
There is a place for all four and chances are many here have it.

Phone - Mobile business and entertainment.
Tablet - Mobile entertainment.
Laptop - Versatile Business.
Desktop - Office, Development and HighEnd Gaming.

IMO the least important is the Tablet, still a cool device, but if one had to go, it would be that one in a easy decision. Now which would be next after that? Now your going to have to pry from dead hands. I needs each.

The phone's pretty much just a convenience, but yeah. Cold dead hands, to the laptop and desktop. My tablet's a fun toy, but that's all.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 18, 2014, 05:21 mag

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2014, 04:45:
Bankrolled by broadband donors, lawmakers lobby FCC on net neutrality.

This is such crap. At the very least I'd expect Google and Apple, who support net neutrality, to inject some of the 200 billion or so cash they have on hand into thwarting this bullshit.

The secret: they don't actually support net neutrality. They see a way to profit off of this.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 14:21 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on May 17, 2014, 11:19:
I suspect there is currently a global warming trend, though I'm not convinced how desperate the situation is or that the warming is being significantly exacerbated by humans. I've heard/read both that there is unprecedented melting of ice in Antarctica and a huge build up of ice.

I'd love to hear an intelligent, well moderated debate on the subject. That seems unlikely to happen -- people on the extremes of both sides seem to be overstating their cases. I've seen arguments on either side eviscerated.

One half of Antarctica is losing ice, and the other half is gaining ice. The ice that is being lost outpaces the ice that is being gained.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 21:29 mag

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2014, 19:43:
1badmf wrote on May 16, 2014, 19:00:
water isn't a huge problem for the country as a whole; just need the infrastructure to transport it, which i suspect would be cheaper than building dozens of desal plants. we get most of our water adequately from rainfall and runoff and deficits can be made up by transporting excess from areas with high amounts, like the north and NE this winter.

desalination will always be expensive. it's not like it's a new technology that needs to mature. economies of scale will only help a little bit, but if we relied on that california food prices would still be sky high. also climate scientists predict a strong el nino event this winter which means abnormally high rainfall for the SW.

For the southern US fresh water is a massive problem right now and only getting worse. What's more important? Oil companies like Exxon getting 5 billion a year in tax subsidies when they're making 40+ billion a year in profits? Or fresh water and food? The MIC getting close to a trillion dollars a year in tax dollars? Or fresh water and food? Etc. etc. etc. Call me crazy but I'm all for fresh water and affordable food.

Continuing to try to grow all of the nation's food in what we now know is historically a desert is not desirable long term. Desalinization, if we need to go that route, should be a disincentivized stop-gap as food production moves to places that can support it naturally.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 16, 2014, 21:25 mag

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 13:09:
Save The Internet.

Glad someone in this country still has the time and cojones to protest. We've become such a docile nation of sheeple.

The whole Occupy thing was just like a year ago!

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 16:26 mag

Creston wrote on May 16, 2014, 15:31:
jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 13:27:
Desalinization is incredibly expensive and energy intensive.

Yes, it is. And the longer we wait as a country to start putting plants and infrastructure down to be able to provide basic water necessities once drought reaches critical levels all over, the more it's going to cost.

A simple prohibition on watering lawns would be wise, even though such a thing is obviously beyond any fucking politician's ability to grasp, but it's a stop-gap measure. The only way to guarantee water 50 years down the road is to start going the desalination route. And since it'll take twenty odd years to get that entire infrastructure in place, the longer we wait, the more critical it will become to put down.

There is a large Californian desalinization plant that was built during the last long drought that was mothballed when the drought abruptly ended. Last I heard was that they're working on getting it set to run.

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2014, 15:49 mag

Creston wrote on May 15, 2014, 11:50:
You're also ignoring that if you go to your State's university, you basically pay little to no tuition. If you go to your local community college, you pay no tuition at all. It's only when you want to go out of state, or go to a private university that, yeah, you have to pay huge amounts of money for your education. Whether that's justified or not, and whether those titles are worth the money being charged for them is not a discussion I want to go into.

In short, what you're saying is simply wrong. End of story.

Whoa, whooaaaaaa, this is so wrong. SO fucking wrong. There might be *some* state where this is almost true, but the state universities everywhere I've lived have been ~$10k/yr for tuition alone. Community colleges are about 1/2 to 2/3 of that.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Into the Black May 11, 2014, 22:06 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 11, 2014, 21:03:
NegaDeath wrote on May 11, 2014, 18:53:
The guy sucks at the game, and RPG's in general apparently. He got to the only "town" in the game and didn't properly explore and talk to all the NPC's? At that point in the game there are only 5 people there, lazy. He clearly isn't bothering to read the on screen instructions as he's wasting his effigies by burning them. You can tell he's used to playing games that have mandatory tutorials for everything and UI's that take up half the screen with maps, objectives, directions, etc. Fail.

And one can tell you are angry over someone not agreeing with your opinion. Which is far more FAIL than the review. Who are you to call this guy's experience worth less than your own? Not everyone experiences a game the same way you do and saying that only your way is the right way is beyond absurd and childish.

This review has as much legitimacy to be there as any other.

By the way, to this day Dark Souls 2 simply crashes to a black screen for me at start of the game creates an empty corrupt save and nothing happens. Would be nice if the fucking devs were actually fixing this. So from me DS 2 gets 0/10 points

Is this related to the multiple monitor issue, or are you experiencing something different?

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Into the Black May 11, 2014, 20:29 mag

NegaDeath wrote on May 11, 2014, 18:53:
The guy sucks at the game, and RPG's in general apparently. He got to the only "town" in the game and didn't properly explore and talk to all the NPC's? At that point in the game there are only 5 people there, lazy. He clearly isn't bothering to read the on screen instructions as he's wasting his effigies by burning them. You can tell he's used to playing games that have mandatory tutorials for everything and UI's that take up half the screen with maps, objectives, directions, etc. Fail.

I'm a veteran Dark Souls and Demon's Souls player, and I've got to admit that I also breezed right past the Emerald Herald on my first playthrough. I didn't realize that I needed to talk to her to level up (or to get my estus flask!!!) until I got to the cardinal tower bonfire.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 May 11, 2014, 13:59 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 11, 2014, 13:54:
Dagnamit wrote on May 11, 2014, 13:42:
CSB time.

Thought I'd try Dark Souls before purchasing Dark Souls II. I did not know that sitting at a bonfire respawns enemies on the level, which I find to be utterly pointless grindy bullcrap. ragequit. Now, I was getting into the gameplay and the environments are as cool as advertised.

Questions, 1) does DS II do away with the respawn nonsense? 2) if that was the only part I hated about the first 15 minutes of DS, should I buy DS II, because I'm obviously a filthy casual? Thanks in advance!

Enemies don't respawn in DS2

Enemies do respawn in DS2, but they have limited respawns. They only respawn 10 or 15 times or something. It's kind of an integral part of the whole 'Do it again but better' mantra of the game. Also, that's how you farm for level-up stuff or new weapons or whatever if you're having trouble with an area.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 8, 2014, 20:38 mag

Congress to ignore concerns about Comcast - Time Warner Cable deal

2420 Comments. 121 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo