Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2346 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Dark Souls II Next Month
4. Re: PC Dark Souls II Next Month Mar 6, 2014, 18:33 mag

PropheT wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 18:12:
I'm kind of torn on which version to pick up. I want the PC version, but I don't want half the game spoiled for me by the time it comes out.

Time to decide if I keep my console preorder or just wait now :p

After spending 500 hours on Dark Souls 1... I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy it for both the PS3 and PC. I want to get in on the ground floor, man!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
13. Re: Morning Previews Mar 5, 2014, 05:10 mag

Slinkycatz wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:04:
Guys... point on the doll where CR touched you. Seriously. You all have some kind of disturbing problem with him. This certainly doesn't seem to be a place to discuss the game but to circlejerk, and that's sad.

*points at doll*

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 20:37 mag

ViRGE wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 19:52:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 19:46:
I would venture to guess that Valve has a bare minimum price point at which any dev conducting a sale in that manner is allowed to charge, whereby the entirety will go to Valve. 25 cents or 50 cents or a dollar, whatever. So technically they could give it away for free, but the price will not be zero. So even if hell freezes over and the games become insanely cheap across the board (moreso than they already periodically are), they can still prevent abuse and/or keep the lights on.
Sure, for paid games. But Steam also supports F2P games, so there's an avenue to making games outright free.

In which case PC game developers would be driven right into the same pit that mobile games have been driven. A race to the bottom that sees all the money made on IAPs, which requires making gameplay secondary to monetization.

Games are not really competing with one another on price, for me, once they hit ~$20. They're competing with one another on whether I will find them entertaining or not. If there's a game I really want to play at $60 and a game I kind of want to play at $20--I'll pick the cheap one. If there's a game I really want to play at $20 and a game I kind of want to play at $5... I'm probably going to buy both.

I've never seen an F2P game I'd pick over playing a $5 Indie title or an old SNES game.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 3, 2014, 22:08 mag

Castlevania director accuses reviewers of "lacking honesty"

Maybe you shouldn't have called it Castlevania if you didn't want it reviewed as a Castlevania game!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
69. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 15:06 mag

I have... five people in this thread blocked. Ha! Mostly for idiocy from a long while ago. Probably it's time to forgive and forget.  

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 19:51 mag

the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't.

This is pretty unforgivable for me, and represents the worst part of any context-sensitive cover system or press-A-to-do-cool-stuff system. I can never get used to a game that seems to have completely arbitrary rules for how your character interacts with the environment.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2014, 22:50 mag

djinn wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 22:32:
Morga wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 20:08:
Bitcoin does not require central banks, it has a finite supply (not based on debt)

Isn't bitcoin infinitely divisible, negating any idea of limited supply?

It's very highly divisible, but not infinitely. As close as you need for all intents and purposes, though, yeah. But. There is a finite total of bitcoins possible, which means it is by its nature a deflationary currency instead of an inflationary one. That means it is a better idea to hoard the coins than it is to invest them or spend them.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 26, 2014, 14:36 mag

vrok wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 14:07:
Newsflash: any time someone has their smartphone up, they could be filming. In metropolitan areas where people of the age of 30 or less hang out, that means pretty much all the time.

It's incredibly obvious when someone is filming or taking a picture with a smartphone. No one holds it camera-side pointed straight out in general use.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Feb 25, 2014, 23:11 mag

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 20:21:
The first one was freaking awful. Castlevania should always remain a 2D game. Very few games can transition to 3D without fucking it up totally.

The demo felt like another generic hack and slash, and I love Castlevania and hack and slash games, but for god's sake, there's nothing fun about this game.

Yahtzee really hit the nail on the head, last week. The Demon's Souls/Dark Souls games are what Castlevania in 3D should've been.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 23, 2014, 15:57 mag

nin wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 00:15:
mag wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 00:02:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 21:43:
mag wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 19:32:
Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 18:20:
Right now it's estimated that every adult US taxpayer has subsidized Apple to the tune of about 50k per person. Nor does it say anything else about Apple abuses people around the world as well. But you go on being a corporate apologist for them. It's all your good for. Must be nice to live life without a soul or conscience.

Dude. That's $7 Trillion.

Actually, it's more than that. There's about 230 million adults in the US (assuming you're referring to those 18+), which would mean that, times $50,000, you're looking at $11.15 trillion, or roughly 70% of US GDP.

~140 million filed tax returns.

Where did he (cutter) even come up with that figure to begin with?

From the same place he pulls all of his figures, I imagine. It begins with a 'his' and ends with an 'ass'.

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
27. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 15:55 mag

Kajetan wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 10:50:
Panickd wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 10:48:
This lawsuit is probably going to cost Gearbox more than they will ever be able to make on the Duke Nukem IP.
Why? If Gearbox has the IP, 3DRealms will loose and cover the expenses of the trial.

And, oh, 3DRealms changed the teaser page. In a way it seems, they anticipated all this.

The US does not have a loser-pays system. Sometimes court/attorney fees will be awarded, but it's by no means the norm.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 23, 2014, 00:02 mag

killer_roach wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 21:43:
mag wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 19:32:
Right now it's estimated that every adult US taxpayer has subsidized Apple to the tune of about 50k per person. Nor does it say anything else about Apple abuses people around the world as well. But you go on being a corporate apologist for them. It's all your good for. Must be nice to live life without a soul or conscience.

Actually, it's more than that. There's about 230 million adults in the US (assuming you're referring to those 18+), which would mean that, times $50,000, you're looking at $11.15 trillion, or roughly 70% of US GDP.

~140 million filed tax returns.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 19:32 mag

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 19, 2014, 21:34 mag

nin wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 20:41:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 19:25:
Wow, I thought it would take a year or two for XBones inferior hardware to really lag behind what was being done on PS4. I was really, really wrong. It seems like ALL of the third party, cross platform games run better and look better on the PS4 already. Crazy.

I can only imagine the meetings that MS is having right now...I suspect lots of yelling is going on.

It's so drastic now because the PS4 gets you the best performance with the least extra work. MS has a couple of quirks to their hardware that could narrow the performance gap, but you have to work extra to make use of them.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2014, 14:07 mag

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:39:
Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:07:
Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:12:
I've had coloured keyboards but I've found only the red led isn't distracting and helps. Seeing as I always eat and drink at my keyboard I destroy them pretty fast so now silicone covers are far more important to me.

Makes sense. There's a reason cockpits have red lighting - your eyes have more red cones and can therefore see better in less red light. In order to see well in blue light, it needs to be brighter and will blow out your night vision.

Part of the reason why I hate the damn blue LEDs on everything. Yeah, I like blue much more than red, but in the dark those blue LEDs are blinding.

Heh, the stereo I put in my Jeep has two light modes - Red and Blue. I never use the blue because it's absolutely blinding at night. On a CAR stereo. Hello, genius designer, what was the point of including the blue LEDs? Oh, they're more visible in the day. Too bad switching the light mode involves using the remote to dig 6 layers deep into a menu.

Oh, and the default mode is blue. Because...they want people to crash?

My dash is all orange, which is pretty awesome. My stereo is blue, though, which is annoying. It's not really terribly bright, though, so it's not a big deal.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2014, 01:28 mag

Acleacius wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 20:11:
Beamer wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 17:07:
Eh. I'm sure, to the devs, the game is more about humans than zombies. Allowing co-op would be like allowing someone to play Mario Brothers, but the goombas would fight alongside you and take out any koopa troopers.
Riiiight! Hahaha_no

Panickd wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 18:32:
But you can play that way with your friends already. It's just that everyone on the server may not be playing the same way as you are. And given that the zombies aren't even in the game yet what would you be doing in a "coop" server? Sight seeing without the risk of being shot? Not really much of a game. Even when the namesake zeds get added in they'll undoubtedly be just as ineffective at stopping players as they were in the mod. The only thing that made them dangerous in the mod was the glitchy way in which they spawned.

Given how well the game has been selling I doubt the developers have any interest in increasing the uptake right now. But I bet you that once they finish it there will be numerous mods out there that will do what you're looking for.
Your still arguing about a choice, no one is forcing you to play. If you don't understand or appreciate Coop, why debate it's choice? Sounds like there's lots of things to do, when your not getting ganked! Backstab Biting

It's probably partially to avoid fracturing the 'community'. A selling point for many of the PVPers is probably playing with people that don't want to PVP, but don't have any recourse if they want to play the game. If they all leave and go to co-op servers, who are all of the gankers going to gank. The game is not for the people that want to be safe all the time. Those people are a feature for the game's actual target audience.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 20:49 mag

Panickd wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 18:19:
Why is GoPro going public? They're already a very successful multi-billion dollar company. Why would anyone in their right mind give up any control over a company like that?

Because you don't want to run the company anymore and want to cash out while you can.

News Comments > Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman
19. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:51 mag

And they made Stephen Elop (the guy they sent to sabotage Nokia, so that they could buy it) the head of the Expanded Devices Division (which includes newly-purchased Nokia, Xbox, etc).  

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
26. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 14:17 mag

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 10:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 10:06:
vacs wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 10:00:
You do know that there is a 64-bit version XP Pro available? So XP users can still play this game when it comes out
I did know that, but I have no idea if they represent 1, 5, 10, or 50% of the installed XP base. If I had to guess, I'd guess under 10%.

From what I'd heard a few years ago, it was buggy as fuck and no one used it.

edit: There's also a 32 bit version of 7, but no one uses that, either.

I used WinXP 64 for a while. It was, indeed, awful. That may have mostly been the state of the 64-bit drivers, though.

Win7 32 actually makes up a disappointingly large number of fresh installs on new computers. It's more common than you think.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Feb 4, 2014, 04:37 mag

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 00:32:
There's a reason Disney employees refer to it as Mauschwitz. They're still not as bad as Apple though.

At some point the order came down from on high that calling it that would get you fired.

Within the day everyone was calling it Duckau.

2346 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo