Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2310 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2014, 12:47 mag

Task wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 12:38:
The Thrawn Trilogy would be pure gold in film, if done right. It pretty much has all the epicness of the original trilogy in an expanded 3 book trilogy format.

My expectations are pretty low for the new films they are making, they are obviously struggling to just top the better stories that already exist. Leia and Han's kids do play a very minor role, they are just students at the Jedi Academy on Yavin. But I don't know what they are smoking by bringing Luke's kid into the story, he isn't born until much later.

And Obi Wan Kenobi having a daughter or grand daughter? Um No. Or did they forget Obi Wan was part of the old school Jedi Order of celibate space warrior monks?

Disney threw away the EU. There are no children of Leia, Han, or Luke until the new movies create them. The timelines, names, and numbers of children are gone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 13, 2014, 19:41 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 18:44:
And what was this guy thinking? Reminds me of the guy yesterday about the internet mob is bad,it takes info and runs with it. He lays down this beauty (the total truth):

"Jim Farley, the global vp of marketing and sales at Ford, tells Business Insider he made a mistake when he implied that Ford gathers so much data from GPS units inside its customers' cars that the company knows when they're speeding or breaking the law.

Then the cover up lie: (It is just what it is, they have been putting in all these back-doors into electronics and why Windows is like it is... We aren't paranoid, they are just being exposed)

"I absolutely left the wrong impression about how Ford operates. We do not track our customers in their cars without their approval or their consent," he says. "The statement I made in my eyes was hypothetical and I want to clear this up."

And what is the consent? Like a EA Eula you say yes when you buy it or you don't buy it? Like who would ever consent if they don't have to to yeah track everything I do? What the hell people.

Then the article on the guy visiting NSA, he told me ZERO. They are mad, can't believe someone would do it to them, if people knew they'd be ok.... That is your story in 3 sentences. Oh yah and there is security onsite and it's a military operation.

I think the takeaway from the NSA article is that these people think that they are special and beyond reproach because they're protecting the country. They can't believe that they were betrayed by one of the brotherhood, or that anyone would dare impugn them for what they do.

It gives some context for the way the NSA's been reacting to Snowden. It's like when someone breaks away from the Church of Scientology.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 15:18 mag

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 11:38:
Yeah, I honestly don't know why the producers of the GoT show thought it'd be a good idea to launch it so soon. Did they honestly believe for a second that George would have it wrapped up in time for them to translate it to the small screen? Smoke a little more crack while you're at it.

Even though Joran needlessly milked the shit out of WoT he still actually delivered product on a regular basis.

My understanding is that GRRM has shared/will share the rest of the story with the show runners, if the series passes him, so that they can continue to the end without the books being done.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2014, 17:22 mag

Hoop wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 14:30:
They say it's your birthday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjF1bG5LUcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnug5_h6DJQ

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jan 11, 2014, 02:25 mag

Jivaro wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 01:48:
El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 01:15:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 20:10:
If you missed Brothers 2 weeks ago on the Steam sale, go straight to check out. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 Imperial credits. And for the Emperor's sake, don't read any reviews. Just buy and play.

Well, you should read this:
"Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons requires a controller to play"

Which means I will never buy it. But to each their own.

Do you know why it requires a controller? I am not being a smart ass, legit question. The game play mechanic is designed around operating two characters simultaneously with two joysticks/pads. It isn't that they were too lazy to code in some PC-centric controls. I can't really think of a practical and comfortable way to play the game without a controller.

Then the game never should have existed! Controllers are for little kids argl blargl raaaaaarggg!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2014, 02:50 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 17:01:
harlock wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:28:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:04:
harlock wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:02:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 13:56:
I would be so interested to read what the mechanism is that causes this someday.

its called DNA

Yes, but how exactly.

It is constantly recording the events of your life and self-replicating throughout your body, then its passed along by sexual reproduction

So, you're saying that something as ephemeral as an accent is recorded in our DNA? If that were the case, why wouldn't entire languages be recorded? If you got whacked on the head, you should be waking up speaking Chinese, not English with a Chinese accent.

Because the crack to the head damaged something that got her stuck in the 'speak in what you think a Scottish accent sounds like' mode. There's no genetic memory here, just brain damage and crossed wires.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: bits Jan 10, 2014, 01:26 mag

harlock wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 23:29:
mag wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 22:46:
and it could completely come to pass that this is completely ignored by developers since it doesn't work for Intel or nvidia.

To reach beyond mere niche adoption, it is essential to provide a deployment path beyond the realm of any single hardware vendor. The ultimate goal for software developers is “write once, run everywhere” which requires a unified install-base across all platforms and devices. This is the HSA vision. Thus, the HSA Foundation (HSAF) was formed as an open industry standards body to unify the computing industry around a common approach.The founding members of HSA are: AMD, ARM, Imagination Technologies, MediaTek, Texas Instruments, Samsung Electronics and Qualcomm

that doesnt sound "completely ignored" to me... and im not sure where you get the idea it wont work with intel - read the link if you really want to know more

I like AMD. I want this to succeed. I haven't purchased a desktop Intel processor since... the p166MMX. I'm just being realistic. It is an enormous hurdle to make this completely programmer-agnostic. You have to write a compiler that can intelligently offload massively-parallelizable calculations to the GPU, and that is ridiculously hard, or else it'd have been done already. As is, they're presenting it as 'extensions' to C++, and it is still going to require programmers to intentionally write things in a way that will be able to take advantage of it.

If 90% of the target market (e.g. desktop/laptop/actual computers running Windows, MacOS, or Linux) is Intel, you're probably not going to completely change the way you code to make stuff faster on AMD.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: bits Jan 9, 2014, 22:46 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 21:25:
harlock wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 18:57:
AMD’s most powerful APUs ever, the AMD A10 7850K and 7700K (codenamed “Kaveri”), are now shipping and will be on shelves in desktops early next week, with pre-orders starting today from select system builders. “Kaveri” is the world’s first APU to include Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) features, the immersive sound of AMD TrueAudio Technology and the performance gaming experiences of Mantle API. “Kaveri”-based notebooks will be available in the first half of this year.

HSA

To fully exploit the capabilities of parallel execution units, it is essential for computer system designers to think differently. The designers must re-architect computer systems to tightly integrate the disparate compute elements on a platform into an evolved central processor while providing a programming path that does not require fundamental changes for software developers. This is the primary goal of the new HSA design.

HSA creates an improved processor design that exposes the benefits and capabilities of mainstream programmable compute elements, working together seamlessly. With HSA, applications can create data structures in a single unified address space and can initiate work items on the hardware most appropriate for a given task. Sharing data between compute elements is as simple as sending a pointer. Multiple compute tasks can work on the same coherent memory regions, utilizing barriers and atomic memory operations as needed to maintain data synchronization (just as multi-core CPUs do today).

The HSA team at AMD analyzed the performance of Haar Face Detect, a commonly used multi-stage video analysis algorithm used to identify faces in a video stream. The team compared a CPU/GPU implementation in OpenCL™ against an HSA implementation. The HSA version seamlessly shares data between CPU and GPU, without memory copies or cache flushes because it assigns each part of the workload to the most appropriate processor with minimal dispatch overhead. The net result was a 2.3x relative performance gain at a 2.4x reduced power level*. This level of performance is not possible using only multicore CPU, only GPU, or even combined CPU and GPU with today’s driver model. Just as important, it is done using simple extensions to C++, not a totally different programming model.

Time to invest?

Risky bet. AMD's hurting pretty badly, and it could completely come to pass that this is completely ignored by developers since it doesn't work for Intel or nvidia. This is kinda what they've been hanging their hopes on for the past five years of shitty processors. This is what they've been building towards. And if it doesn't work...

News Comments > First-Person Puzzle Game Concept Trailer
4. Re: First-Person Puzzle Game Concept Trailer Jan 9, 2014, 14:56 mag

I think Prey used the bigger->smaller portal concept a couple of times. This looks pretty cool.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: PlayStation 2 manufacture ends after 12 years Jan 9, 2014, 00:35 mag

nin wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 11:59:
Turtle Beach signs PS4 official headset deal.

Was looking for their sound cards last night, and they're almost non existent. And their headsets aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Had two different sets where the audio had pops all the time...

I miss my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. That thing was awesome.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2014, 22:57 mag

nin wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 21:33:

Sony may say the PS4's early sales lead over the Xbox One isn't a big deal, but looking at the past console generation its likely a sign of the PS4 outselling the Xbox One comfortably if not considerably once this generation is over.

If the past is any indication of the future, considering the PS3 was released 1 year after the Xbox 360 (Nov 2006 vs Nov 2005) yet today they're both sitting on about 80 million sales, things are looking very good for Sony this time round with the consoles released at about the same time yet the PS4 is already ahead by a noteworthy amount (4.2 vs 3.0 million, Xbox One is only at 70% of PS4 sales).

I hope you're right, but it's only been two months.

The one ace Sony has in their sleeve right now is Japan, which goes live next month. That will be a nice boost for them, and it's an area MS has yet to get a decent foothold in.

The PS4 hasn't released in Japan yet? Holy crap, I had no idea.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 6, 2014, 20:51 mag

nin wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 20:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 20:37:
Linksys resurrects classic blue router, with open source and $300 price.

You had me until 300.

Yeah, what a joke.

It's definitely out of my price range, but it's got pretty nice hardware. 1.2GHz processor, USB3, eSATA. This is enough to do routing and traffic shaping on your 100Mbps Google fiber connection, serve as a fileserver with an external eSATA hard drive, take care of all of your torrent-downloading without having your PC on, possibly work alright as a DLNA server, etc. etc.

By which I mean: This is not for you, if all you want is a gigabit switch hooked up to an 802.11n access point and a 20Mbps cable modem.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2014, 20:57.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2014, 16:14 mag

God dammit, Bengals!  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2014, 12:39 mag

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 12:06:
Sorta sucks, live in Cincinnati, but Chargers are my home team. Trying to get a ticket as it would be the perfect game to finally see a game in the snow.

Don't think you're going to see any snow in the Cincy game. It's supposed to be in the mid to upper 30s and rainy 'til the evening.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2014, 00:54 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 21:05:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 17:20:
Not only that - but I have all of the free stuff here in MN too!

Um, "free" stuff? I hope you don't mean b/c you're a police officer. Anxious

Mmm, kickbacks and "lost" evidence!

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
20. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 5, 2014, 00:52 mag

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 14:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 14:40:
I heard that the city in GTA 6 will be named "Midwest City" and modeled after KC.

I'd really like them to move out of the US as a setting and do a European or Asian city.

Tokyo would be rad. Awesome city.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 03:09 mag

BobBob wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:05:
I was born and raised in California. I have traveled around the world, including many parts of the USA. I've experienced severe climates, especially in Northern Europe and the US East through the Mid-West. I moved back for one reason -- I seriously hated the climates in other locations. I call them climatic prisons. I may move to Hawaii someday, but the South Bay fits my needs for now. I encourage anyone to consider living in California or Hawaii for a year. You will experience the freedom to be outside all year round. I believe you'll never want to return anywhere else. Think it's expensive? Not at all. Your habits and lifestyle will completely change from spending too much on TV and video games to going outside to free parks, beaches, forests, and other outdoor locations.

I did Hawaii for a while, and I'd like to go back to spend some time there again, but I left for a reason.

News Comments > Eye Tracking Controller Plans
9. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 19:16 mag

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 16:01:
Noble as it sounds to help the cripples how many people would we really be talking about it? 0.01% of the population?

That aside it sound like a cheat as far as FPS' go.

Jesus Christ man. Do they really have the Internet back in the 40s?

News Comments > On Sale (2)
28. Re: On Sale (2) Jan 3, 2014, 10:46 mag

El Pit wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 09:41:
mag wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 09:30:
christheshitter wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 04:18:
The worst Steam sale ever. Crappy AAA titles for dumb downed people no thanks!

Did you miss all of the indie titles??

Ignore him. Read what he wrote, take a look at his nick, and you know - it's one of the lamest trolling attempts here at Blue's News EVER!

...right. Gotcha. Too early in the morning to be replying to trolls!

News Comments > On Sale (2)
24. Re: On Sale (2) Jan 3, 2014, 09:30 mag

christheshitter wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 04:18:
The worst Steam sale ever. Crappy AAA titles for dumb downed people no thanks!

Did you miss all of the indie titles??

2310 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo