Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2395 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 14, 2014, 01:33 mag

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:32:
They could make it federal. As someone stated it, it's like complaining to head office that your boss is a dick and they refer you back to your boss to deal with the problem.

The executive branch doesn't write laws. That's why he passed the buck to Congress. They make laws.

Obama can, indirectly, influence the enforcement of current federal laws, but he can't wave a magic wand and stop states from being dicks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 14:28 mag

BobBob wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 13:44:
Animals should be in the wild nature. I imagine if we asked a pet what it would prefer, it would want its freedom; if it had the chance to experience both captivity and the wild. Unfortunately, an animal is incapable of communicating that fact. I have had pets in the past and loved them. But in retrospect, they should have been running in the wild. If you find my opinion offensive, put the situation in reverse: Can you honestly say you would prefer to be a pet?

Dogs (wolves) and cats domesticated themselves. Being with humans was better than being in the wild.

So goes the theory, anyway.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2014, 22:28 mag

PHJF wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 20:21:
Back from the beach whereupon I read:

Margaret Atwood - Handmaid's Tale
China Mieville - Embassytown
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

I'll take something from Gaiman over Zelazny any day. Amber was so god damn tedious.

What. WHAT. What what what.

What what what what what.

What.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2014, 18:25 mag

Julio wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 14:12:
On the person refusing to decrypt their data going to jail, looks like we might as well officially call democracy dead. Really a lot of countries are corporate dictatorships now.

Worth pointing out that that's the UK, not the US. I'm not sure about the UK's protections against self-incrimination, but I'm fairly certain that they're quite a bit weaker than the US's 5th amendment if they have any at all.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
29. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 5, 2014, 18:28 mag

Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 18:18:
mag wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 14:36:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 13:27:
wonkawonka wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 13:01:
I for one am very happy with my kickstarter investment.

Yeah, this is the only so far that I can say the same. Can't wait to see what some people do with the editor.

Are you still not happy with Shadowrun? You've been praising the Berlin campaign a lot. Or were you not a backer?

Yeah, I backed it, but I'm split on it. Berlin was great. The original campaign, not so much. And I still don't like the stylized direction they went with the art. I wanted a realistic, real gritty world and characters. Not impressed with W2 so far. And obviously it's too early to tell on PE.

Fair enough. I haven't chipped in more than $15-25 on anything so far, and the only one I feel burned on was Castle Story, but I also knew that was the longest shot.

If I'd spent $50 on Shadowrun I'd probably feel worse, but $15? Enh, I'm happy enough.

Edit: More on topic, I am excited to play this game. Going to get through Divinity 2 first, though.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2014, 19:02.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2014, 16:09 mag

nin wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 15:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 14:47:
Image: To me, this is all 'Early Access' is.

Towns shut down development. Took 2Million+ and quit. Dick move. I can see DayZ doing this.

Huh, someone there refers to Garry (of Garry's mod) as "kind of an asshole. Really rude to his fans sometimes." Wasn't aware of that, and while I don't follow it or anything, I've never heard anyone bitch about him.

edit: And was Towns the one where he pulled the plug, but then said he might do another KS for a sequel (which in turn pissed a lot of people off, understandably)? I did a search here but can't find it...

Some comments said that this was true, but others said that he just did a complete tear-down of the engine and was rebuilding it to be more capable and hadn't quit.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 5, 2014, 15:34 mag

Samsung has announced it will scrap plasma TVs.

Nooo. Bye-bye, plasma.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
10. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 5, 2014, 14:36 mag

Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 13:27:
wonkawonka wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 13:01:
I for one am very happy with my kickstarter investment.

Yeah, this is the only so far that I can say the same. Can't wait to see what some people do with the editor.

Are you still not happy with Shadowrun? You've been praising the Berlin campaign a lot. Or were you not a backer?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 3, 2014, 11:44 mag

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 10:55:
Wow that article was written by Cory Doctorow. He is actually a half-decent Sci-Fi writer. Im suitably impressed.

He's actually more well-known for his blogtivism than he is for his sci-fi writing, I think.

Obligatory xkcd.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 02:21 mag

BobBob wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 21:40:
Just imagine if you had saved that money and invested it instead of buying games. You wouldn't have to live in mom's basement, could be driving nice cars, started a family, gotten a good education. Just imagine. Still young? Read this post again when you turn 30.

You are hilarious.

Are you trying to win the Old Man Cutter award?

*goes to game website*

*tells everyone to stop playing games you damn kids*

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2014, 15:32 mag

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 13:40:
Landing that plane on a stool is amazing. He did clunk it down fairly hard at the end though.

Apparently that happens regularly enough that they keep that special stool around for just that occasion. A former service member chimed in, one place I saw the video, and said that when he was in they just piled old mattresses up and crossed their fingers.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jun 27, 2014, 14:33 mag

Task wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 12:11:
Panickd wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 10:23:
Task wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 09:52:
Here is a picture to go along with drone war crimes. When you detach them from reality, then they can avoid consequences of their actions from killing people, of feelings of remorse or apathy. Obama in his infinite well of hypocrisy thinks its a joke, "watch out, we'll drone you."

Hate to break it to you but this has been how wars are fought for many years now. Pilots don't engage in "whites of their eyes" dog fights anymore. In fact a lot of times they'll fire a missile from 100 miles out and never see the opposition. Bomber pilots drop precision munitions from miles up where they can't even make out the structures on the ground and then they fly back to their home base which is thousands of miles from the battlefield. Pilotless aircraft were always the next logical step in the evolution of aerial warfare.

This misses the entire point of what I just said. War Crimes.

Its pretty damning when the last surviving Nuremburg prosecutors have stated that people like Obama, Bush or any other corrupt politician and even propagandist media heads, and what they get away with today, is exactly what they hung Nazi's for.

Here are the innocents and human beings suffering in Obama's and the CIA's illegal "drone warfare" in the for the Permanent War State:

"In 2009, my home was attacked by a drone. My brother and son were martyred. My son’s name was Hafiz Zahinullah. My brother’s name was Asif Iqbal. There was a third person who was a stone mason. He was a Pakistani. His name was Khaliq Dad…. Their bodies were covered with wounds. Later, I found some of their fingers in the rubble.” – Kareem Khan

Commentary on the damning memo that was kept secret from the U.S. public, released this month (june):

"The arguments put forward in the memo released Monday—justifying the abrogation of basic rights, state murder of citizens and dictatorial powers on the grounds of national security and the requirements of war—are identical to those put forward by every military and fascist regime, from Pinochet to Hitler."

And they can do it from cozy drone centers in order avoid accountability. Its the PERFECT tool for war hawks that would prefer a murder tool to first illegally go to war, and then illegally bomb people with little intelligence on whether or not the target on screen is really a "terrorist" without putting boots on the ground (pawns, that come home with PTSD, commit suicide, because the government thinks of them as pawns in their Grand Game of Global Chess).

I completely agree with your point, but you don't help your case by posting bad photoshops and memes.

Original, just 'cuz.

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
17. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 10:38 mag

InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:14:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 09:58:
InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 09:55:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 09:45:
I saw some kids playing minecraft at the local park

Im trying to picture this in my head but really cant get it to work with my (limited) imagination. Were they like sitting in the sand pit and playing it on their laptops?? Worried
More like on their iPod or iPad.
This game is on every imaginable platform.
My 7 yrs old son plays this all the time. He shows me the stuff he built, and than when he gets together with his other friends they are talking about all their Mincraft stories.
I think this game is amazing to capture the young ones like this. I much rather see my kids play something like this than CoD

Its kind of sad to see that in the park though. Whats the point of going outside to play if they are basically still playing minecraft on their ipads or whatever?? Sigh...50 years from now kids wont even know what a tree looks like in real life, they will probably recognise one in a picture on their tablet of choice...

I think you guys completely misinterpreted Pigeon's comment. They were playing "Minecraft", as in the unauthorized-imagination-port and "ground-is-lava" clone, not Minecraft the game on electronic devices.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 26, 2014, 04:04 mag

Oculus Thrift.

Bravo.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $47M
10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $47M Jun 24, 2014, 00:47 mag

Are they hiring more people with each of these goals being met, or are they pressing the release date back a month, or whaaaat?  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2014, 02:10 mag

dubfanatic wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:45:
mag wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:05:
The change to the EULA LOOSENED the terms. LOOSENED them. LOOSENED. It is LESS STRICT now. It was MORE STRICT before. He had something in the EULA to prevent server-operators from enacting pay-to-play. He LOOSENED that, so server operators can recoup costs.

Why Do People Persist in Believing Things That Just Aren't True?

tl;dr don't bother arguing with people who hold incorrect beliefs, it just makes it worse

It's impossible to convince Cutter that he's wrong, but it's important to combat his campaigns of disinformation.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2014, 02:08 mag

PropheT wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 00:40:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:23:
Wasteland 2 early access up as a $40 buy on the Steam Sale. Not sure how I feel about that. It's only going to cost $40 when it's done, right? $30?

I'm not sure what the final price was intended to be, but I put in $50 on Kickstarter and that was good for 2 copies at the time.

$15 was enough to get me a copy of the game during the KS, so not sure what the retail's going to be. I guessed $40 or $30, but who knows.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2014, 22:05 mag

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 21:54:
They should be rejoicing he's changed his EULA? Uh no. No one should be rejoicing that EVER in any industry. In fact, it shouldn't be permitted at all. If he didn't have the foresight then, than tough titty for him. He can chalk that up to a life lesson.

The change to the EULA LOOSENED the terms. LOOSENED them. LOOSENED. It is LESS STRICT now. It was MORE STRICT before. He had something in the EULA to prevent server-operators from enacting pay-to-play. He LOOSENED that, so server operators can recoup costs.

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
54. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 18:20 mag

I still can't bring myself to buy Anno 2070 because of the shitty DRM. I desperately want to play this game, but I'm being prevented.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 12:14 mag

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 11:38:
So the Redskins lost their trademark. Wow. Wonder what they'll do now. They should probably just change the team name seeing how much pressure is on them from all sides. Hell, they don't even play in Washington. Why not call them the "Maryland Mauraders™"?

I saw someone suggest the "Washington Department of Football Services," which I think is the best and most terrifying professional sports name possible.

2395 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo