Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2352 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 7
9. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 7 Jun 14, 2014, 17:17 mag

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 08:19:
"The PC Gamer E3 Awards - The 10 Best PC Games of E3 2014."
Pff what a bullshit list.
How can these guys get excited about games like Ass Creed or Dragon Age, Far Cry4 and fail to even mention games like Elite Dangerous or Killing Floor 2.
Yet No Man Sky is on their list which as far as I know wasn't even shown for the PC only PS4.
PC Gamer, more like Console Port Gamer

Nevermind! Apparently I was wrong.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2014, 17:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2014, 17:16 mag

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 15:10:
So many people bitching about not enough women in gaming, yet still have no problem with women being treated as sexist objects at E3. Oh I'm sorry they are called 'promo girls' now.

I'm pretty sure the same people bitching about the lack of women in gaming are the ones that don't approve of the blatant sexploitation of women for promo purposes.

The people screaming that 'playing as a girl means you want to be a girl lolololol' were the ones complaining that the booth babes weren't booth babey enough.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 7
6. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 7 Jun 13, 2014, 23:08 mag

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 19:40:
Agreed! I, for one, am simply appalled by the lack of sensitivity shown by the white man! All I ask is for just one single game, just one, that has a bi-racial black/asian transgendered dwarf as its main protagonist. I mean honestly, is that really too much to ask?

Never fails.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2014, 15:35 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 15:32:
Yesterday, the Al-queda-backed Sunni rebel group ISIS overran Mosul and Tikrit. The Shia-dominated Iraqi government made a plea to Iran who sent over the Quds forces (their elite units, like our Marine Corp) to help fight them. Currently Obama is mulling whether or not to provide air support for the Quds. Yes, we're contemplating providing air support for our arch enemy in the region.

Question for you alls: Is there a game out there that captures this kind of insane strategic choice that this political situation has produced?

Any sort of three-or-more way RTS or 4x game?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2014, 22:51 mag

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 21:15:
mag wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 20:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 20:35:
dj LiTh wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 20:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 19:19:
4k monitors will make watching non 4k content ... extremely, butt, ugly. Just saying

howso?

Try full-screening a 320p video on a 1080p screen, same effect. Except now you get it with every youtube video, every bluray, and every movie you stream unless you have a 50mbit line. And not to mention every single TV program will now be segregated to either SD, 1K, or 2K content making the experience of watching standard content on TV (at least in Europe) a clusterfuck of sharp/pixelated/sharp/pixelated...

You would have to actually PAY me money to replace my current 1080p TV with a 2160p TV... what would that give me exactly vs 1080p ? That I can sit closer to my TV that stands 3m away from my couch? .. why?

Fullscreening a 320p video looks terrible, at a given size/distance, no matter what resolution your display is. Showing it on a 320p monitor wouldn't make it look better. Where you might end up with ugliness is if you are upscaling to a resolution that's not a multiple of the base resolution, and then really only if the upscaler is bad at its job.

A 16x9 2160p display is exactly twice the horizontal/vertical resolution as 1080p--that's why it's especially ideal. For a 1080p signal, it literally just has to double the size of every displayed pixel, and it will look ~identical to how it would look on a native 1080p display at the same size.

4k has 4x the pixels of 1080p, but yeah, it'll depend on upscaling and it'll look good because 1080p looks pretty damn good no matter what display it's on, imo.

4x in total. Double the horizontal lines, double the vertical lines. The point, anyway, is that upscaling of 1080p to 2160p in particular is trivial, because of that, and it would take an ineffably stupid upscaler to botch it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2014, 20:42 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 20:35:
dj LiTh wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 20:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 19:19:
4k monitors will make watching non 4k content ... extremely, butt, ugly. Just saying

howso?

Try full-screening a 320p video on a 1080p screen, same effect. Except now you get it with every youtube video, every bluray, and every movie you stream unless you have a 50mbit line. And not to mention every single TV program will now be segregated to either SD, 1K, or 2K content making the experience of watching standard content on TV (at least in Europe) a clusterfuck of sharp/pixelated/sharp/pixelated...

You would have to actually PAY me money to replace my current 1080p TV with a 2160p TV... what would that give me exactly vs 1080p ? That I can sit closer to my TV that stands 3m away from my couch? .. why?

Fullscreening a 320p video looks terrible, at a given size/distance, no matter what resolution your display is. Showing it on a 320p monitor wouldn't make it look better. Where you might end up with ugliness is if you are upscaling to a resolution that's not a multiple of the base resolution, and then really only if the upscaler is bad at its job.

A 16x9 2160p display is exactly twice the horizontal/vertical resolution as 1080p--that's why it's especially ideal. For a 1080p signal, it literally just has to double the size of every displayed pixel, and it will look ~identical to how it would look on a native 1080p display at the same size.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 9, 2014, 23:04 mag

Verizon will miss deadline to wire all of New York City with FiOS.

Duuuuh.

Netflix got worse on Verizon even after Netflix agreed to pay Verizon.

DUUUUUUUUH.

Close to half of all U.S. households subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus.

This is... actually pretty surprising.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
35. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2014, 14:04 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 13:57:
Xil wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 11:22:
The masses get bored faster, would Snowden still have been able to keep the steady flow of news going if he had stayed in the USA, if not then he would have been yesterdays news pretty fast and to be honest give it a few more months and he will be, that dude that..... He still paying the price of living in exile for the rest of his life but I guess it beats Guantanamo bay or where ever they would have whisked him off too.

Snowden and Greenwald's strategy to continuously trickle stuff out over 1.5 years has been quite genius. They've managed to keep it in the news on nearly a weekly basis since the story broke.

100% agree. A lot of people are criticizing him for this, saying that it's because he's an egomaniac. But it is the absolute best way to do it, if the intent is to effect change.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2014, 13:04 mag

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 12:29:
Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 12:10:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:02:
Look guilty? He IS guilty. He broke the law. He's not a "traitor", but he's definitely a coward. He had a great opportunity to stand for something bigger than himself and be a symbol for what the people want. Less intrusion. the vast majority of Americans were outraged by what was/is going on. He blew it for himself and for everyone else, tbh.

Yes, he knowingly destroyed his life to do the right thing, what a chickenshit bastard. Rolleyes

And what would be gained by him sitting in prison for the rest of his life or being killed? He didn't create the program. He didn't authorize it. And out of the thousands and thousands of people involved in this he was the only one who had the stones to stand up and say it was wrong, and that's your definition of cowardice? What the fuck are you smoking?

It's the timing of the whole thing. At the time he leaked the information the people were outraged. They had a bad guy (US government) and the good guy (Snowden). Classic David v. Goliath scenario. His message was out already, so him being further silenced is completely irrelevant. He was a hero, but, and this is my point, he 1) RAN, and 2) to Russia, all but destroying his capability to be the symbol that could help to change government policy. He's not a coward for having the balls to step up. He's a coward for running to freaking Russia, of all damn places. It wrecks his credibility and makes his sacrifice meaningless.

Because apparently it needs to keep being repeated:

HE DIDN'T RUN TO RUSSIA.

HE GOT STUCK IN RUSSIA BECAUSE THE US GOVERNMENT CANCELED HIS PASSPORT AND GROUNDED THE FLIGHT HE WAS GOING TO TAKE TO SOUTH AMERICA.

You want someone to blame for him being left in Russia's hands for the past year? Blame the US government.

His big mistake was revealing everything before he'd 1) arrived where he wanted to stay long-term and 2) secured asylum.

News Comments > Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month
13. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 6, 2014, 03:24 mag

Warskull wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 20:11:
Alamar wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 12:15:
Warskull wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 08:44:
The best description I have seen equates doing pure melee in DS2 to playing without a shield in DS1.

Maybe it's me, or the changes in the game... I would have to play some more DS1 to find out, but I very rarely bring out the shield in DS2... I'm almost always using a power stance (dual wield) build (as opposed to a 2h build, which generally relies on larger, slower, weapons that I don't enjoy).

I also go pure melee almost everywhere... I've never used a herb (which replenishes castings of spells), and even with a ton of attunement/slots, there just isn't many spell uses available, so I 'save them', then end up not using them.

Even my sorcerer is dual wield Blue Flame (a sword that can be used to cast spells).

-Alamar

No you are right, the shield feels much less mandatory in Dark Souls 2. The fact that shields are weaker also helps. Most medium shields are 90% damage reduction. You have to get a tower shield if you want the 100% damage reduction.

Not having a range option on the other hand is downright painful at times. Hence why I compared doing DS2 as melee only to doing DS1 without a shield. DS1 was brutal without a shield.

MacDuff sells a couple of 100% phys def. kite shields once you get the dull ember, and the Drangleic shield after the Pursuer has 100% phys. def.

But yeah. Shields kinda suck in DS2. I even have better luck 2-hand parrying with my murakumo than I do with a medium shield.

11. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 13:28 mag

Alamar wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 12:15:
Warskull wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 08:44:
The best description I have seen equates doing pure melee in DS2 to playing without a shield in DS1.

Maybe it's me, or the changes in the game... I would have to play some more DS1 to find out, but I very rarely bring out the shield in DS2... I'm almost always using a power stance (dual wield) build (as opposed to a 2h build, which generally relies on larger, slower, weapons that I don't enjoy).

I also go pure melee almost everywhere... I've never used a herb (which replenishes castings of spells), and even with a ton of attunement/slots, there just isn't many spell uses available, so I 'save them', then end up not using them.

Even my sorcerer is dual wield Blue Flame (a sword that can be used to cast spells).

-Alamar

My dual-caestus run is actually going better than my faith/sword/shield run did. Power-stance boxers kick some ass in this game!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 5, 2014, 02:57 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 02:38:
Redmask wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 23:13:
Beamer wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 21:37:
But this is actually meaningful. They released resources reserved for Kinect. It's not PR fluff, it's an actual improvement. Modest, but still tangible.

No it's pretty much PR fluff, a 10% reservation isn't going to make up the difference in CUs and Microsoft can't do anything there without new hardware.

Consoles are kind of retarded these days, a glorified x86 PC that has to last 8+ years is absurd with the sort of pace we're seeing from other devices. Microsoft utterly failed PC gaming despite every advantage in the world so I shouldn't be surprised they are fucking up their console efforts too.

For sure the XB1 & PS4 should have come out 2 years earlier in their current iterations. They definitely waited too long.

One of the interesting things with using a standard PC architecture is that in four years (instead of eight) they can come out with XB2 (or PS5) with whatever specs they want, and it will be completely backward compatible, making the transition much smoother. New games can use all the new goodies, old games can be patched to run in full 1080P 60FPS with stuff like tessellation enabled, etc giving them new life. The cost of switching to a different system increases, since all their old favs are still playable and look better, etc.

I'm not really sure what their game is these days. In a sane consumer-friendly world, what you say is true. On the other hand, I think they are extremely excited about the idea of selling you your 360/PS3 games all over again this gen, and your XB1/PS4 games all over again next gen.

8. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 01:05 mag

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 21:16:
So for those who got this, have you finished it yet? Was it good? Was there any sun praising?

I finished it, really liked it, really doubt I'll get as much play out of it as DS1. Glitches and bad port issues aside, I think DS1 is the better game.

Still, DS2 was worth the purchase and play. I'm at 80 hrs, and I'll probably get a fair number more. I'll probably buy the DLC, too. I just don't think it's going to be 400+ hrs like DS1 was.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2014, 16:22 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 05:29:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 01:17:
mag wrote on May 31, 2014, 15:16:
It's not like they have the ability to reprogram all of these old games. The source code of some of them doesn't even exist anymore! I'm perfectly okay with Wine.

It's not about the older games, it's the newer ones like Witcher 2 that is the concern. It was wrapped in a WINE shell, and so suffers massive power issues. One of those games that I MIGHT be able to get 20 FPS on lowest settings if I run it on Linux, but I know (having done it) I can get 30-40 FPS on max settings at 1080p.

Now, if you are a beginner to Linux and you're trying to use it for gaming, this doesn't look good and seems to do everything it can to make Linux look much slower then Windows.

I wonder if the Steam Machines can do something in hardware that would accelerate that.

The SteamOS way of playing non-Linux games is to stream them from a Windows computer. The Steam Machines themselves are just off-the-shelf PC components--there's not going to be any magic there.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 31, 2014, 15:16 mag

It's not like they have the ability to reprogram all of these old games. The source code of some of them doesn't even exist anymore! I'm perfectly okay with Wine.  

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2014, 03:01 mag

Quboid wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:09:
Can anyone recommend a 27" monitor? As far as I can see it's either 1440p@60hz or 1080p@120hz unless I feel like importing a QNIX QX2710 from South Korea and overclocking it, which I don't.

I'm pretty happy with my HP ZR2740w. They can be had for cheap because they're pretty bare-bones (no on-screen display controls or whatever), but that reduces their latency a bit (so I hear).

It's 2560x1440 @ 60Hz, and can be had for ~$300 refurbed pretty frequently. I got mine from woot for $300, I think. They have them for sale like every week.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Sets One-Day Sales Record
12. Re: Watch Dogs Sets One-Day Sales Record May 29, 2014, 01:19 mag

Creston wrote on May 29, 2014, 01:07:
jomisab wrote on May 28, 2014, 20:17:
Might have been better PR to announce how they are aggressively working to resolve launch issues.

They aren't. People will eventually stop trying to log in en masse, and then their paltry infrastructure will be able to handle the load.

It completely hosed all of UPlay. Pretty embarrassing. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't log into Rocksmith...

News Comments > Steam Machines Delayed
31. Re: Steam Machines Delayed May 28, 2014, 19:39 mag

Dagnamit wrote on May 28, 2014, 12:15:
I will heartily disagree with the "consoles are vastly overpowered" comment though. The Xbox 360 had a 8800 GTX under the hood, before the desktop card hit the shelves, and a 3 core CPU while most desktop parts were rockin' duals or singles. It was, for about 6 months, the highest quality gaming device available. The new ones had year old mid-range GPU's and low power mobile centric CPU's.

Not... really? The 360 had something similar to an ATI X1800. The 3-core 3.2GHz PowerPC is more difficult to compare, but yeah, probably no slouch. But 512MB of RAM to share between CPU and GPU was pretty paltry at the time.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 This Summer
5. Re: Wasteland 2 This Summer May 20, 2014, 20:47 mag

HorrorScope wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:32:
Cutter wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:04:
Six months overdue, not too bad but they should open up the beta to all KS backers. At least Larian is doing it right with DOS.

Man the latest DOS patch, this thing is playing super sweet. Wasteland and the other Baulder Gate wannabee's on the horizon have quite a bar to reach and this has coop and mod'ing ta boot.

Pretty sure I'm going to feel like an idiot, but what's DOS?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2014, 19:04 mag

dj LiTh wrote on May 19, 2014, 19:00:
mag wrote on May 19, 2014, 14:14:
Ozmodan wrote on May 19, 2014, 12:19:
So unless you are a heavy graphics user and the software you use is available for Unix, what good is Ubuntu to anyone with an expensive video card?

People that use OpenCL, people that dual-boot and don't want their card to be useless in Linux, people that play Linux-supporting games (of which there are more and more) that have been holding off because their video card has been comparatively underperforming, people interested in building a SteamOS box...

Ahhh yes, the point one percenters...

Buyers of expensive video cards are .1%ers anyway. They probably just shouldn't even be made, right?

2352 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo