Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2580 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 30, 2015, 09:25 mag

Quboid wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 08:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 03:25:
Not to mention that oxford actually put in SJW newspeak .. shame on them, in fact the editor of Oxford definitely deserves the walk of shame from GoT

Shamewalking, that is.

It struck me that this is the first definition of the phrase SJW which doesn't equally apply to the people who use it. The previous definition I've seen is that SJW means someone who impotently argue social issues online, which is exactly the sort of person who uses the phrase in the first place.

What newspeak is used? The word "progressive"?

SJW means "someone that cares about social issues I don't care about."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Aug 24, 2015, 22:31 mag

Krovven wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 20:42:
yonder wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 20:35:
I'm SHOCKED that Polygon would resort to a hyperbolic complaint.

But seriously... it's evident that someone hasn't seen Battlefield Earth.

How is it exaggerated? And what does this have to do with one of the worst movies ever made? Exaggerated headline, absolutely, that's surprising how? They are spot on about the use of the Dutch Angle here though. It's misused, overused and out of place in Thor.

Battlefield Earth is notorious for its overuse of it. Every. Single. Scene. is shot with it, at sometimes ridiculous angles. Most of the movie feels like it's at a 45 degree angle.

News Comments > On Trine 3's Length and Future
15. Re: On Trine 3's Length and Future Aug 23, 2015, 01:18 mag

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 22:50:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 13:59:
I feel bad for these guys, they're one of the good guys.

Yeah, though I'm normally very skeptical, in the case of FrozenByte I do believe them, and so it's a very unfortunate set of events. I've very much enjoyed their games, Shadowgrounds was awesome, and Trine and Trine 2 were a lot of fun, but a puzzle game with 4-5 hours of content doesn't really strike me as all that great...

I hope this doesn't put them out of business...

I completed Trine 2 in 8 hours, and that was with a loooot of screwing around. And a lot of that time was just trying to get the XP orbs. So if the XP orbs are out of the game... doesn't that pretty much account for the shortness all on its own?

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2015, 21:01 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 19:15:
NKD wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 18:04:
Really puts Steam in perspective. Only around 1.3 million Steam users buy a significant number of games, and to be a member of the top 20%, you only need to own four games.

80-90% of Steam users may as well not exist for how little they participate in the PC gaming market. I never would have guessed those numbers.

Yeah this is again an eye opener... it still baffles the mind why Steam didn't make this public themselves.

It baffles you as to why Steam would keep it private that less than 1/5 of its userbase actually buys games? They want people to think they have 10M customers.

News Comments > Otherland Early Access This Month
5. Re: Otherland Early Access This Month Aug 15, 2015, 01:33 mag

.Drifter wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 23:29:
So Otherland is worth a read then?
As a side note, one series I thought started well but went downhill was the Sword of Truth series. Got to the point I thought the author was only writing it to come up with new ways to torture the heroes.
Seriously, I would have said enough is enough and opened up a can of whoop ass before putting up with half the crap he put them through in those books.

Caveat caveat I read Otherland around ~14 years ago. But I thought it was pretty great. Worth a read. Better than Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 7, 2015, 04:44 mag

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 17:47:
What? make up your mind, FCC. Verizon and AT&T have been trying to kill off copper for the past ten years, and you've been slapping their hands every time. Now you want them to do it?

They're not going to put fiber down in low population areas, so copper is the only thing those people are going to get/have.

Telcos: We're going to kill copper and replace it with nothing.

FCC: No wait don't kill copper. People need it.

FCC later: Okay kill copper, but replace it with fiber if you do.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer
16. Re: Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 01:22 mag

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 17:58:
I gotta say this looks pretty underwhelming graphics wise. Bloodborne looked great but this barely looks better than DS2.

Behold, the cost of co-devving for PS4 and XB1.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer
6. Re: Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer Aug 4, 2015, 16:09 mag

NetHead wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 15:48:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 15:21:
These games are great for combat and gameplay..

In the first game it was superb, can't really comment on the second (I couldn't play the second because From Software did such a good job it wouldn't even work properly and people mentioning it/looking for support on the Bandai Namco site got banned).

Though going from knowing the first very well to that looks like it's going downhill, quite badly. The gameplay/combat in Dark Souls is critical, sure the setting, themes and all that is great but it's the combat that keeps you going and even replaying.

A number of things they showed there are seriously going in the wrong direct, for my opinion from Dark Souls 1 anyway. That was far to arcade like with an obvious example being at about 1:31, some spinning attack where the weapon goes into no-clip, really, that's like "Headshot!!" in a Thief game. That's just the most easily pointed out example, it's all over the gameplay they showed there.

To get combat right the way Dark Souls 1 did is damned hard to do, convincingly portraying metal on metal, metal on flesh, weight of the weapon, weight of the armour. You have to get all the minutia right (or at least the vast majority), so much of it is in the details with that king of combat and they don't have it in that video.

Perhaps someone "jazzed" it up as a trailer, who knows, but in that video it's lost the appeal of combat from Dark Souls 1 for me at least.

I'm not saying it won't do well, it will probably do better than ever, being more "accessible" with more "flash", "action" and so on whereas DS1 combat was almost all about substance excluding a few things like some boss moves.

Not... sure what you're talking about. That looked a lot like DS1 movement and combat. A bit of hybridization between DS1, DS2, and Bloodborne... but mostly DS1. The move at 1:31 isn't much different from the spin-to-win 2-hand R2 all of the halberd-class weapons had. Or the gold tracer and painting guardian sword, even.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion. Aug 3, 2015, 13:25 mag

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 10:32:
"Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion."

Exactly. A whole lot of free outrage over a dead animal, not a single tear shed over the actual human suffering going on in Zimbabwe. "People without electricity or water? Meh. Lions! OMG let's start a twitter campaign!"

Good work, humanity.

Those sorts of problems are too big, the solutions are too big, for people to get that worked up about. How do you get outraged over it? Where do you focus your anger? How do you go about making a change?

The lion represents a big problem, but is very small on its own. We know who did it and how he did it. He was one of our countrymen. We can hold him accountable and hope an example is made.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2015, 05:13 mag

mystery8 wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 03:44:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 03:41:
mystery8 wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 03:39:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 02:22:
Whoa, whoa, whoa... A new operating system installation isn't carrying over the previous operating system's settings? Call the police. Hell, call the news, this is unprecedented;

Considering its an upgrade in most cases and not a fresh install and this is 2015, I don't think its an unreasonable expectation. At least where possible.

Oh I don't think so either. It's just not out of the ordinary, which is probably why MS figured they'd get away with it.

It's funny - my housemate just built a new machine. First thing he did after installing Windows 7 was open up Internet Explorer to download Firefox. Then he removed the IE icon saying "And that's the last time I'll be using that."

Ayup. If I ever run IE more than once on a new build/install, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong, to the point where Firefox and Chrome are both completely hosed.

News Comments > Demons Age Announced
4. Re: Demons Age Announced Jul 30, 2015, 22:41 mag

Brumbek wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 21:13:
Yeah...Demons Age name for real? Wow...you lack...creativity.

I'm waiting for the sequel, Dragon Souls.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2015, 12:00 mag

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 11:05:
Verno wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 10:51:
The EMDrive stuff is very interesting, it freaks me out to hear some of the smartest minds in the field admit it can work but that they can't explain how.

The thing that blows me fucking away about this drive, which I've been reading about for about a decade, is that no one wants to front the fucking money to actually test it in space. Point it at the moon and turn it on and if it works, then argue about how it can't possibly work. It took NASA over 15 years just to test it in their lab. It took the chinese to actually try it out first and then NASA to say "Ok maybe it works". I realize that it costs a metric fuck ton of money to send weight into space.. but I also know that we spend so little on space exploration technology.

There isn't even a scientific paper reporting test methodology and results, as far as I've been able to tell. All of the articles on it are from pseudoscience/crank blogs that just reference each other in a big circle jerk. They need to show something before anyone's going to dump a bunch of money into something that violates one of the fundamental laws of physics.

The last time they actually released any data on any of their tests: the thrust was in the wrong direction. It continued even when the power was turned off.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2015, 16:35 mag

PHJF wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 16:11:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 13:51:
PHJF wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 13:05:
...but what's the difference between a personal watercraft that anyone can operate and a car in terms of having open containers? Lower travel speed on the water, and less traffic usually

You just answered your own question. Driving a car in a heavily populated area is infinitely more demanding on the driver than piloting a boat in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, because every person in a boat is the ONLY person on the water... Jethro and his buddy going fishing on a secluded lake is an unenforceable edge case, but the vast majority of boating is done in public recreational areas that tend to be pretty crowded in the summer months.

All right then, how about this: in 2013, Florida had 685 reported boat accidents, the highest in the country, involving 51 fatalities. That same year Florida saw 317,000 car accidents involving 2402 fatalities. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not writing my congressman about boat DUI enforcement.

On top of all of that, boating while intoxicated is illegal in all fifty states.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 17, 2015, 01:39 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 19:30:
FOX was an illegal monopoly with Star Search 2000, err American Idol. Or what about Game of Thongs and HBO. Walking Dead?

What's funny is you can get the NFL on NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN to.

DirecTV is not a TV channel. It is a satellite TV service.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jul 16, 2015, 22:29 mag

Saboth wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 21:59:
I think the term "SJW" is not referring to an *actual* warrior for social justice, but rather someone that is just professional outraged on the behalf of others, or attempting to garner fame for themselves at the expense of a real or imagined cause. Like Martin Luther King, Jr. might be a real warrior for social justice. People complaining about the cross dresser fable in Pillars of Eternity are merely professionally offended trolls.

So maybe people using SJW as a slur should find a better word.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2015, 03:35 mag

InBlack wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 02:50:
mag wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 00:11:
Okay, fine, let's try for some books. Type in a book title... only used copies available. Try another book title? Only used copies available! Obviously they actually do (must!) still have a large selection of books that they sell, but there are some enormous holes in their stock that wouldn't have existed ten years ago.

Trust me on this, I work for a book publisher: If amazon doesn't have it, no one has it. I'd have to say you were either looking for very obscure, or old out of print titles.

If it weren't for their recent and very high-profile attempts to strong-arm Hachette by refusing to sell their books, I'd be inclined to agree with you. As is, pretty easy to believe that they're either having another tiff with another publisher or trying to push more people toward Kindle versions. I unfortunately can't recall the titles I was looking for right now, but they were moderately successful/popular sci-fi/fantasy books published within the past ten years or so. It's possible they were out of print, but it was really hard to believe. One had been published only a couple years prior.

Edit: Okay, so this inspired me to try to remember and do a little more investigating. I did remember one of the things I was trying to find was the Tales of the Flat Earth series by Tanith Lee, when she died back in May. This is one of her more famous series, and she was a pretty prominent author, so it seemed pretty crazy that it would be out of print. And it had actually been published by a new publisher in 2010.

But apparently that publisher went kaput in 2013 or 2014, DAW was supposed to pick up some of the titles, and it sounds like they never picked those up. So that's why that one's missing.

That was just one of a handful of instances I had over a few months, so maybe I just had a string of bad luck for a while. It was right on top of a string of bad Amazon shipping experiences, so I was already pretty willing to be annoyed at 'em.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2015, 04:08.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2015, 00:11 mag

Task wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 22:36:
*Shrugs* A lot of the misc stuff is probably useful to folks that shop online all the time for anything. Its not just a online hub for buying movies and games; its practically an online department store now (gas grills, leaf blowers, shoes, clothes, and pink bras ahoy!).

My recent experience has been that Amazon doesn't actually sell anything anymore. Everything is sold by someone else, and Amazon just handles fulfillment. Get Amazon credit that says it must be used on items sold by Amazon? Gooooood luck. I had like $20 to get rid of by a deadline, so I'm like... okay. Let's try some video games. Nope. Computer hardware? Nope. Board games? Nope.

Okay, fine, let's try for some books. Type in a book title... only used copies available. Try another book title? Only used copies available! Obviously they actually do (must!) still have a large selection of books that they sell, but there are some enormous holes in their stock that wouldn't have existed ten years ago.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Jul 15, 2015, 12:51 mag

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 21:33:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 20:06:
God is telling us we should love Pluto and restore its planetary status.

Actually, they are. NASA has hinted that the newest measurements from the fly-by will push Pluto over the mass limit, and its spherical geometry may do so as well.

Really, the issue is that 240-odd people (at a conference that had 10,000 attending) decided, after the majority of the other folks had left the conference, to de-list Pluto for whatever reason. There was never a large sentiment in the astronomical community to de-list Pluto in the first place. And the fact that the new "rules" for planets are just as fraught with issues as the old ones (there's some argument that, if the Earth was situated in the asteroid belt or even in the Kupier Belt, it wouldn't be able to "clear its orbit" [one of the new requirements for planetary status] either...), has left many astronomers ignoring the de-listing. In many ways, NASA, et al., are just owning up to the fact that the scientific community never was on board with the de-listing in the first place...

The size of Pluto has nothing to do with its classification as a planet or lack thereof. The issue was that we were finding lots of other Pluto-like objects (Eris, Sedna) of comparable or greater mass, and the Kuiper Belt was turning out to be way more populated than we thought.

So if they allowed Pluto to be a planet, this was opening up the door to, a hundred years from now, having 1000 objects that have every bit as much a right to be classified as plants. So, wanting a consistent definition that would rule out most trans-Neptunian Kuiper belt objects, they added the rule: has "cleared the neighbourhood" around its orbit."

Revisions of Pluto's size don't really affect that, unless it's now big enough that the barycenter of the Pluto-Charon system is actually within Pluto. Then you might have a case.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2015, 03:24 mag

InBlack wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 02:31:
Verno wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 14:05:
You've declared war on a video game product, its time to step back and re-evaluate things man. If Star Citizen sucks no one is going to sugar coat it no matter what the moderators do on some random forum. There is no need to waste time or emotion on it but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Kxmode invested his belief, and entrusted a thousand dollars to CR and crew, trusting them to build the game they pitched. A hundred goalpost changes later, with nothing to show for it really, can you really blame him for being pissed?

Well, yeah. This is a video game that doesn't even exist yet. Your reaction to a Kickstarter not going the way you hoped should be no worse than "Well, damn, that sucks." If it's worse than that, you spent more than you could afford.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support
2. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support Jul 10, 2015, 00:37 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 00:00:
Map packs for Gal Civ? Aren't all the maps procedural? Or are these hand-crafted scenarios?

And has anyone been playing GalCiv 3? Any opinions vs. MOO2 and GalCiv 2?

2580 Comments. 129 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo