Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2418 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Cancellation Causes Double Fine Layoffs
3. Re: Game Cancellation Causes Double Fine Layoffs Nov 22, 2014, 14:39 mag

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 14:37:
Proof that publishers were correct dumping double fine. They are don't have their shit together.

How does a publisher backing out of a project prove that? Games get canned all the time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 22:05 mag

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:50:
mag wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 10:25:
That'd be funny, a tranny with a tranny problem.

And I really like Ken. Black Rain is still one of my fave flicks. It just oozes style.

Ugh, was up until 4AM with DAI. Gotta admit, I'm duly impressed so far, and it really is friggin gorgeous.

Also, that version of 'tranny' is a slur. I know, I know, PC police. But just for your edification.

Are you a transvestite? And even if you are do you speak for all of them? Are you their king...er, queen? Thanks but I really don't care about what other people consider PC. In fact, the more PC they get, the more reactionary the rest of us get.

Just letting you know, man, so you can offend people on purpose instead of unintentionally. I'm not attacking you.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 16:01 mag

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 10:25:
That'd be funny, a tranny with a tranny problem.

And I really like Ken. Black Rain is still one of my fave flicks. It just oozes style.

Ugh, was up until 4AM with DAI. Gotta admit, I'm duly impressed so far, and it really is friggin gorgeous.

Also, that version of 'tranny' is a slur. I know, I know, PC police. But just for your edification.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2014, 00:59 mag

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 21:52:
I hope voting against the Constitution will change once the new congress is sworn in, but we will see.

I can see your point Cutter, but do we really want people that fail in life to run government? I mean... you do not have to be rich, but at least have some success in life. Know what I mean?

The party getting control is the party that obstructed the vote. There's no reason to grandstand anymore; they already won the election. They are not going to do a damned thing about this when the Senate changes hands.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 16:16 mag

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 16:13:
Oh, duh. Fucking Mondays... My bad.

I feel ya. Still trying to jumpstart my brain today.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 15:59 mag

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:44:
Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:25:
They needed some sort of bullet point other than "a different version number". I agree that its not going to get a lot of use outside of enthusiast circles. Heck I'm an enthusiast and I can't see myself using it much outside of work.

Outside of work, what would you even use it for? It's not going to run games, so other than browsing dodgy websites infested with malware I don't really see a purpose to them. (for private use.)

I think you're confusing virtual machines (run a sandboxed OS that can't talk directly to the host OS) with virtual desktops (kind of like having multiple monitors you can cycle through and arrange windows on). There's no virtualization involved, it's just a handy way to organize things.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2014, 16:25 mag

I played HL2 about a year after release, at the same time FEAR came out. HL2 was probably more ambitious? But FEAR was so much more fun. I had to force myself to finish HL2, and only the last section with the enhanced gravity gun made it not leave a sour taste in my mouth.

And then Episode 1 was just... terrible. So bad. Some of the dullest gaming hours I've ever played.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $60M
38. Re: Star Citizen at $60M Nov 7, 2014, 04:07 mag

Sneakycamper wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 02:06:
Killcrit wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 23:24:
To those not playing cuz it's alpha. Its a mini game or a few of them... racing, dogfighting, free flight, and pve dogfighting against the swarm (vanduul) Super fun, every patch gets better, well the last added a lot of changes, and the targeting is iffy as they are increasing difficulty and im sure trying variouns difficulty levels of target shooting... Should play...

Seriously hate all games since 2005, this game I have a smile on my face as i fly and shoot... have not experience that in years.. its actually enjoyable.. final game of course.. who knows, but not sure what all the bitching is about here??!? just upset they are getting funded? tbh, i was on the outside going why is this so hyped, and well now i know, its wing commander 2015... and it very much is that... and now im hooked
PLease enlighten us with what ya get when ya spend $$ on this game.... Do you get to play any part of it or? Watch the Ceo Roll in Benja's on his Lear Jet to the Bahamas ? Yes give us a hint Where the Real Money goes !!!!

What??

News Comments > Star Citizen at $60M
37. Re: Star Citizen at $60M Nov 7, 2014, 04:07 mag

Sneakycamper wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 02:02:
Yes The 80's were a good time back then and Now what do we have ? Hmm Star Citizen at $900 million goal and the company gets bought out ! No game but they reached $900 Million !!

What?

News Comments > Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms One Week Delay
2. Re: Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms One Week Delay Nov 6, 2014, 19:38 mag

nin wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 09:59:
Heretic?

Not Heretic.

It gets me every damn time. The whole "Shadows" thing isn't helping.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 6, 2014, 19:19 mag

jdreyer wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 21:27:
Redmask wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 21:02:
It was a great tech for the time that unfortunately had nowhere to go and couldn't compete with LCDs on the economic side of things like logistics and storage. We still have one downstairs in the home theater room and get compliments on picture quality from guests all the time. Damned shame that OLED still is not here in any meaningful way.

Yeah, OLED can't get here soon enough. I don't mind LCDs, but I really wanted a plasma, just couldn't do it b/c apartment living and moving around. Damn things are heavy and fragile.

If you've got a Micro Center near you, the local one has been selling their LG OLED 55" TVs for $2k (marked down from $10k). They are damn pretty.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
17. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 14:58 mag

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 14:13:
Fantaz wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 14:12:
is there still a RAM shortage?
Must be, 16Gb going for around $180~$200 here in Canada. Seems pretty expensive

This happens every time there's a new standard to start converting the factories to. As we switch to DDR4, DDR3's going to get more and more expensive.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2014, 02:35 mag

BobBob wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 19:54:
Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 19:47:
That's a good list, but I think the fear of people who prefer gridlock is generally that in trying to fix problems 1 through 4 they will actually make it worse. The ACA (Obamacare as everyone calls it) is a good example. For everything it fixes it makes something else worse or creates a new problem. As far as number 5, I think there is a general fear that the government will go overboard in mandating extreme measures that may end up having no effect on the speed at which the earth is warming so it will just be more draconian and expensive regulation that does nothing but hurt businesses and put the screws to the common man.

That's a perfect summary of how I am thinking at this moment. I'm always open minded so if someone can prove that government can truly fix things without causing more harm or introducing more problems, I'm willing to read/listen.

The Clean Air Act(s)? The EPA at large? The FDA? Do you think they've caused more problems than they've helped? They're gutted and less effective than they should be, but that's not because government cocks everything up, it's because we let corporations have too much influence over its governance.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 4, 2014, 01:30 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 14:41:
damnit.....so many friends got CoD.....I got it for $44.xx. Why did I do that.....

Looking at screenshots - it has FOV setting *slowclap

Sad that we have to celebrate this....BL also has it. Big up to BL for having setting for us that are color blind.

(-) for having Aim Assist. wtf.

Of course there's an FOV setting! You have the choice to make the FOV as much narrower as you want.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2014, 16:15 mag

Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 16:10:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 14:08:
Wow, Yahtzee really ripped The Evil Within a new one in that ZP review.

I'm still planning on getting it at 10 bucks or less though.

I'm surprised he wasn't more negative. His main complaints seemed to be that the story doesn't make much sense and made the world seem disjointed and that the stealth was pasted on.

Stealth is an integral part of the game, especially if you play on nightmare or akuma difficulty. It was actually one of the parts of the game that I enjoyed the most. If you expect to walk in and just start blasting everything without trying to be a little sneaky before ch 6 you'll be in for a rude awakening.

As for the plot, I rather enjoyed it and also enjoyed the variety of scenery. Each chapter brings you to a whole new area and set piece, this kept the game fresh for me and helped me enjoy the 19hrs it took to beat it. The downside is that you never felt like you were part of the real world, but of course that is also part of the story

The last minute or so is the angriest I've heard him in ages. He sounded betrayed.

12. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 12:47 mag

mch wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:30:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:25:
So now the whole world knows that you like dick, Tim. Who fucking cares. This is 2014. Being gay is about as revealing and controversial as having blonde hair.

Perhaps less interviews about your sexuality and more time spent leading innovation would help the company that you're CEO of stop being iterative and go back to being at least creative.

I'm pretty sure this isn't him coming out - he was accidentally outed a few months back during an interview if I remember correctly.

In other news, Samsung announces a new ad campaign "We Were Gay First!"

I think it was a thing that was widely suspected, and maybe widely known to those privileged few, but yeah. He was outed by some doofus on CNBC in June.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 26, 2014, 18:51 mag

nutshell42 wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 14:39:
MS Office is a POS that makes you wanna murder your computer but using OOo for a week had me ready to strangle myself by feeding my tie into the printer. Office is the vastly superior solution, if only in comparison.

Thankfully we use LaTeX for most of our typesetting needs. It's also a crappy POS but at least once you've solved a problem it stays solved. I love technical fields.

I hope someone writes a html document processor. It's less volatile and easier to debug than LaTeX but unfortunately there is no easy way to get it onto a printed page. And Chrome doesn't even support hyphenation because all they ever care about anymore is appification of Chrome. (if that sounds like a non-sequitur: Google would be the only ones to do it. IE has no vision and Mozilla has visions, they need a doctor)

Really, no one should be using OOo anymore. The Libre Office fork is much better supported and developed.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 23:21 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 20:29:
Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 17:21:
It's so weird to me how partisan ebola is.
Moderates and liberals: "it isn't a big deal and is unlikely to become one."
Conservatives: "oh my god Gwenyth Paltrow and that Outbreak monkey are going to kill us all, close the borders, it's too late we're all dead!"

I've never seen fear over a disease so clear cut across party lines like this and it baffles me.

I think it's the differences between the liberal mind and the conservative mind. Here are a bunch of peer-reviewed studies. Some choice headlines:

1. Conservatives spend more time looking at unpleasant images, and liberals spend more time looking at pleasant images.

2. Reliance on quick, efficient, and "low effort" thought processes yields conservative ideologies, while effortful and deliberate reasoning yields liberal ideologies.

4. Liberals have more tolerance to uncertainty (bigger anterior cingulate cortex), and conservatives have more sensitivity to fear (bigger right amygdala).

7. Republicans are more likely than Democrats to interpret faces as threatening and expressing dominant emotions, while Democrats show greater emotional distress and lower life satisfaction.

10. Conservatism is focused on preventing negative outcomes, while liberalism is focused on advancing positive outcomes.

Better be careful. You're going to get doxxed and SWATted and death-threatened and whatnot. Then Intel's going to pull their ads from your website.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 17:26 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:32:
Here's how to be successful on Kickstarter:

Step 1: Find an under-served genre or beloved game that has not been re-made recently.
Step 2: Design game to be spiritual successor for old game or genre.
Step 3: Make sure beloved developer(s) of said genre or game from back in the day is on the team.
Step 4: Pitch video has to walk the line of showing you competent enough to make the game, but not so slick to invoke the question "If you have that much money, what do you need us for?"
Step 4: Hype the crap out of the KS with a crapton of nostalgia.
Step 5: Sell well-designed but over-priced physical items of the game for higher tiers.
Step 5: FUNDED!

I would like to contribute to your game.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 16:27 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 16:26:
Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:16:
Wow, a soldier and reservist murdered in Canada this week and now some lunatic attacked cops with a hatchet in NYC today. Ebola looks to be spreading. Sigh. Things seems to be getting pretty crazy out there atm. Stay safe people.

Seriously? You're talking 2 people out of almost 400 million. And Ebola is not "spreading" in North America. It's arriving here from out of country and being dealt with. What the hell? Crime is as low as it has ever been. Disease is as controlled as it has ever been. Just because the media is hyping shit for clicks doesn't mean things are getting crazy. When did you start to buy into that bullshit?

There are serious problems out there. Global warming is already killing thousands and will result in the deaths of millions perhaps 100s of millions of people through drought, extreme weather, famine, flooding, war, etc. And there are many more: government corruption, corporate corruption, income inequality, poverty, healthcare failures, nuclear weapons, etc. etc. Don't be like the pilot who puts his attention on why the light on switch 17 is broken while his plane augers in.

And now a school shooting in Seattle. Sad week.

2418 Comments. 121 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo