Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2607 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 24, 2016, 15:29 mag

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 15:22:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 14:34:
Nice to see Dragon's Dogma at the top, game deserves it.

No it doesn't. One of the worst games I've ever played. I don't how anyone could even reasonably say it was a good game.

lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2016, 00:32 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 23:56:
Wow. What an implosion by Cincinnati. People will be talking about that finish for a long time.

God... dammit. All you had to do was hold onto the ball.

Then all you had to do was not try to murder someone on the field.

Then all you had to do was not be Adam Jones.

News Comments > Far Cry: Primal Specs
13. Re: Far Cry: Primal Specs Jan 8, 2016, 17:01 mag

IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 15:00:
You know what makes me glad I spent $380 on a GTX 970? The fact that this card can handle 99% of all pre existing games in 1440P is great but the fact that I'm maxing out my VRAM circa 2015 is SUPER COOL!!!

4 gigs of VRAM should have been a non starter at NVidia but nooooo we don't need to let a pretty solidly futureproof GPU have enough memory to last more than a year!

Seriously though... The GTX 970 eats up everything except Ark: Survival Evolved which requires a GTX 980 or higher just for max settings in 1080P at 50 frames per second. Why would they give a GPU that is slightly faster than the original Titan only 4 gigs????

It just doesn't really matter right now.

R9 290 4GB vs. R9 390 8GB.

The R9 390 and R9 290 are virtually identical, with roughly equivalent performance to the GTX970, and 8GB vs. 4GB does almost nothing.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2016, 14:54 mag

Pigeon wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 13:31:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 12:07:
Congrats Pigeon. Cool that it came down to the very last game.

After leading by 1 or 2 points for most of the year I thought I was going to lose it on the last day. My secret was to pick the teams that win. Honestly though I feel most of it was luck, had a couple of really good weeks early on and then I was consistent enough to stay at the top; a lot of tough competition though. So now the important question, where's my prize? It's in over-sized novelty check form right ?

In all seriousness though it was a good season, and my team made it to the playoffs which seemed extremely unlikely at the start of the season. Though that is in no small part due to the rest AFC south being just awful. Unfortunately I don't foresee advancement, unless Brian 'the concussion' Hoyer can really step it up. If only we played the Bengals for the first playoff game...

*shake fist*

Still holding out hope that Dalton's ready to play on Sunday. Ugh.

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2016, 13:53 mag

LiTh wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 10:17:
Lost by one point in the spread league. Was a fun and interesting year. Congrats to the winners, i look forward to next year!

I thought for sure you were going to snatch it from me yesterday, the day was going so poorly. Forgot that the lowest week was dropped!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2015, 13:40 mag

jdreyer wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 13:28:
Why Wine Snobs Are Faking It.

I read this study years ago to discover that wine "experts" are faking it.

Here's how the research went down. First, Brochet gave 27 male and 27 female oenology students a glass of red and a glass of white wine and asked them to describe the flavor of each. The students described the white with terms like "floral," "honey," "peach," and "lemon." The red elicited descriptions of "raspberry," "cherry," "cedar," and "chicory."

A week later, the students were invited back for another tasting session. Brochet again offered them a glass of red wine and a glass of white. But he deceived them. The two wines were actually the same white wine as before, but one was dyed with tasteless red food coloring. The white wine (W) was described similarly to how it was described in the first tasting. The white wine dyed red (RW), however, was described with the same terms commonly ascribed to a red wine.

That test did show that expectations can override the other senses, which is a good and useful thing to keep in mind, but that is totally different from what people use it to say, which is that 'wine experts are full of shit.'

Blindfold the experts, give a collection of reds and whites, and they'll probably do a much better job than when you're deliberately deceiving them.

News Comments > Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt
36. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 23:33 mag

Rossafur wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 21:16:
I walked out of it feeling like I must have seen a different movie than everyone else before me, so much so that from where I sat I thought everyone else in the theater wouldn't have found me crazy to say, "Well, I guess it was better than The Phantom Menace..."

Not only does it repeat the beats of ANH, it repeats all the less-than-stellar aspects of it as well, such as awkward pacing and HEAVY reliance on coincidence (I know, I know, everything can be explained away with "the force") and then doubled-down on inexplicably perfect characters who can achieve amazing feats with zero applicable training/experience (oh, yeah, right, the force...). Rey out-does both Han Solo and then Luke Skywalker, within what felt like must have been a single day into her adventure.
Oh and then Finn goes from being traumatized by seeing one of his comrades get killed to being A-OK with (even gleefully cheering about) wasting all those same guys he spent his entire life growing up and training with in about an hour (then even less time to become life-long pals with Po and Rey). Hokay...
Kylo Ren... should not have been unmasked (literally and... emotionally?) that early. Now they have to do some SERIOUS work on his character to get anyone to fear/respect him as a real villain in the future. I would like to know how anyone who actually watched all the previous movies (for the first time) in chronological order felt about Darth Vader by his end vs those who knew him as Darth Vader first and Lil' Anni second...

I enjoyed-ish the movie, but yes. All of these things are exactly what bothered me about the movie.

And JJ's decision that hyperspace is instantaneous travel (like he did in Trek 2k9) really goofed up the pacing and destroyed the sense of the galaxy as a big thing.

News Comments > GOG.com Bethesda Softworks Sale
4. Re: GOG.com Bethesda Softworks Sale Dec 22, 2015, 01:09 mag

Acleacius wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 23:57:
Oh, I thought GOG worked it's magic with DOSBox to get a pretty stable Daggerfall. Or it just could have been a wishful thinking, kind of daydream! Please

My understanding is that Daggerball was just a buggy buggy mess to start with. Can't fix that!

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale Next Week?
10. Re: Steam Winter Sale Next Week? Dec 18, 2015, 00:12 mag

Frijoles wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 15:48:
Rhett wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 14:46:
But.. I dunno what to buy anymore. This new steam sale method with no flash sales is boring and disengaging.

This will be the first year in a while that I just don't care about Steam's sale. The fall one was such a let-down. Sure I'll jump on and look at my wishlist prices, but after that it's ho-hum.

Fall one was the most interesting one in years for me. Tons of games I wanted.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access
1. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 15, 2015, 21:51 mag

$45 expansion pack???  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 2, 2015, 23:41 mag

beigemore wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 21:47:
Fairly certain most people use a webmail interface now anyway.

Goddammit no! I've got like ten email accounts. Thunderbird needs to liiiiive.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 16:11 mag

Pigeon wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 13:23:
...the Empire rising up in like 20 years during which time Obi-Wan turns into an old man,

I'd never thought of that one, great now there's one more thing that'll bother me about my favorite movie series. The prequels created a real mess for continuity and believability. A lot of which could have been avoided with some relatively minor changes to the prequel plot. Though I am left to wonder how much of the original trilogy's mystery and intrigue were just plot holes swept under the carpet by others involved with the film.

I always had the idea in my head of the Clone Wars being this decades-long thing, and the slow transition from Republic to Empire happening over a really long time. And the Clone Wars being a long-in-the-past thing. Like, Force-users would age more slowly, right? Hence Yoda being 900. And then it's like twenty years, and... the fuck.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2015, 17:37 mag

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 12:44:
The only reason they're shutting it down is because they've already replaced it with something better. (Stingrays.)

This is part of the law that was passed a little while ago. They're just shifting the burden so that phone companies now have to preserve all of the data, and the NSA has to go ask them for it.

It's no different, just more hands involved.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Specs
30. Re: Just Cause 3 Specs Nov 26, 2015, 02:55 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 18:02:
Yes 670 is a high spec and they best hope it isn't true, it isn't good business for them on the pc. And we know it will run well under that... So why do they want to cost themselves sales? Whatever.

A 670 was med-high spec *three years ago*. It's $140 performance, today. That's pretty low-end.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Specs
27. Re: Just Cause 3 Specs Nov 25, 2015, 08:18 mag

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 17:15:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 15:28:
I don't understand the problem here. Consoles have ALWAYS punched above their hardware class, because the specs are a constant and devs can really dig in. PCs are, comparatively, horridly inefficient. They don't code for your exact hardware, they code to the IDEA of hardware (directx).

Everyone wants better graphics, but when a dev says "ok, let's go for it!", people start crying that their 5 year old video card can't run a bleeding edge game.

I've asked this a lot lately...where did the PC gamers that used to be on here go? I see the same names but they all sound like whiny old spinsters. Remember when every YEAR, a graphics card came out that was two to three times as powerful as the one before? Were you buying video cards THEN? Cuz you were upgrading every year. And here you guys are, crying about needing a 3 year old card as a minimum for a brand new game.

What are you smoking? Everyone has always basically been on a 3 year cycle for PC parts. PC optimizations are always lax at the beginning of a new console cycle because all the focus is on consoles. 2 years on now so they should be working harder to optimize all around. Yeah I'll buy a new card later this year, but damned if I'm moving to an annual cycle at $300 a pop. I'll quit gaming first. I've got way more important things to be spending money on these days. 20 years ago we didn't have those same responsibilities either.

A GTX 670 is roughly the performance of a GTX 760. The GTX 760 can be gotten on Newegg for $140. A GTX 960, current-gen and even faster, is $180-$200.

On the AMD side, the comparison card is the R9 270 ($150) or R7 370 ($120-$140).

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Nov 21, 2015, 22:54 mag

Beamer wrote on Nov 21, 2015, 14:30:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2015, 01:27:
They're not especially sympathetic to Kotaku's argument that publishers are trying to 'hamper independent reporting in pursuit of a status quo in which video game journalists are little more than malleable, servile arms of a corporate sales apparatus'."

Oh noes. They're not sympathetic to that? I WONDER WHY??!

(hint, Ars: Maybe it's because for 15+ years, you game "journalists" have been sucking publisher dick and regurgitating press releases rather than do anything that could even remotely be construed as actual journalism.)

So no, no sympathy. Fuck that. Kotaku have been some of the worst publisher mouthpieces, and now because they've published like two articles that "revealed" something (and please, half the fucking world knew the next Fallout was going to be set in Boston, as early as like 2011), all of a sudden they're the Champions of Gaming? Fuck Kotaku.

Lol, from the Kotaku article:

They will claim we are “hurting video games,” and, as so many do, mistake the job of entertainment reporting for the mandate to hype entertainment products.

Oh pot, you and kettle, always at it.

The problem is, Bethesda is angry at Kotaku for, you know, doing actual journalism. Finding out about games in development is actual journalism.

Kotaku sucks, but the reason Bethesda is angry at them is because they did the exact thing people keep asking them to do.

It's not respectable journalism. They're not doing anything to serve the public interest. Details of unannounced games isn't really a need-to-know thing. It's on the level of photographing celebrities in their bathing suits.

Yeah, you get your temporary spike in clicks, but of course that's going to get you shitlisted. DUH.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
4. Re: Saturday Previews Nov 8, 2015, 02:11 mag

When's this game coming out, anyway? It looked like a neat idea.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 2, 2015, 23:46 mag

Squirmer wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 19:31:
Can't see how a technology that makes people uncomfortable for the first 50 hours is going to be popular.

Final Fantasy games are extremely popular.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Sells 500K Copies
16. Re: Pillars of Eternity Sells 500K Copies Oct 24, 2015, 00:52 mag

Caladell wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 00:27:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 23:02:
Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 19:53:
Given what a disappointment the game was they won't see sales like that again. And it's PoE, Path of Exile is PoEx.

Hmm... a quick glance at Metacritic shows a critic average of 89 and a user average of 8.4. On Steam, almost 5000 people gave PoE a positive review, with the overall rating being "Very Positive." Given these facts, I fail to see how PoE is a disappointment.

On a more relevant note, these numbers seem low. According to SteamSpy, there are about 550k owners on Steam alone. Throw in GOG and I'd expect total sales to be at least 600k.

Could be that they only counted true sales, and not backer redeemed copies.

There were 73k backers, so that would add up about right.

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity Early Access
3. Re: Ashes of the Singularity Early Access Oct 23, 2015, 02:09 mag

jdreyer wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 21:43:
Actually, I'm getting a pretty cool SupCom vibe from this. I doubt I'll go EA, but I'll keep an eye on this for sure.

Also, Brad: more carrots, fewer sunchips. And take the stairs instead of the elevator.

I really, really, really want this to be the next SupCom. Nothing else comes close, when it comes to the logistics features and the UI and all that. Please be good!

2607 Comments. 131 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo