Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2370 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 2, 2014, 03:55 mag

InBlack wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 03:40:
What the fuck is Intersex?

Wikipedia's not hard to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 20:25 mag

Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 20:16:
nin wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 20:05:
mag wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 19:48:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 19:35:
What the f$#k happened to Windows 9? I guess Microsux doesnt know about the even number curse?

Apparently the whole decision was as simple as the fact that there are a lot of programs that look for something as stupid as

// Checks if Windows 95 or Windows 98
if (windowsVersion starts with 9){
do stuff
}

If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt you), that's a fucking riot!

It's a rumor that came from someone claiming to work for Microsoft on Reddit, which is slightly sketchy, and he says it was the internal rumor, and let me say that when working at a company that large internal rumors are often total fabrications.

But then there's this:
Over 4000 hits

Haha, Yeah, that's what I heard. So obviously, grain of salt. But hilarious and totally believable.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 19:48 mag

[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 19:35:
What the f$#k happened to Windows 9? I guess Microsux doesnt know about the even number curse?

Apparently the whole decision was as simple as the fact that there are a lot of programs that look for something as stupid as

// Checks if Windows 95 or Windows 98
if (windowsVersion starts with 9){
do stuff
}

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 1, 2014, 04:01 mag

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 07:09:
I could go on all day! Here's another one for you...iPhones are on average more expensive than Android phones. Therefore, richer (and more successful) people can afford the former in greater numbers. I mean really, the entire thing is ridiculous. Yes, it does tell you something more about the average iPhone user, but using that in a comparison (to Android users) is completely worthless from a scientific standpoint.

That's going to be it. I'd go as far as to say that the Android userbase probably just represents a larger cross-section of the population at large (there are far more Android devices out there than iPhones), whereas the iPhone is going to be exclusively the richer people. Duh.

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 03:53 mag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 22:36:
RE: Windows 9. From my acquaintance at MS, he said they were going back to their roots with Windows 9: a desktop-centric, mouse-driven O/S designed to take full advantage of the power of the modern PC.

However, once the smart-watch got released, they scrapped it and started from scratch, deciding they needed to get desktop users used to the vagaries of the smart-watch O/S. Thus Windows 10 was born.

That is hilarious and disappointing and so entirely Microsoft if true.

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
8. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Sep 30, 2014, 14:58 mag

{PH}88fingers wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 14:04:
it's not just his card. I have a Sapphire Vapor-X 290. I was also having the BSOD's and I troubleshooted it down to playing hardware acceleration in web browsers caused them.

So in firefox disable hardware acceleration for videos and such. Also disabled it on flash.

So watching youtube and such looks shittier but at least now I get zero bsods. so at least now I never crash.

I'm assuming these drivers don't fix the underlying problem?

Definitely is not fixed by going to nvidia. I get the same kinda shit on my GTX 770 when hardware acceleration's enabled. Firefox shits the bed a couple times a day.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2014, 19:11 mag

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 15:06:
"Life is Feudal" hohoho, quite clever. The videos of it actually look pretty good, but it's still in "Early Alpha..." for $40.

Not sure how they can get away with that title.

The Settlers was also known as "Serf City: Life is Feudal"

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 28, 2014, 17:55 mag

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 14:40:
I've met more than one highly intelligent person with very advanced degrees who are unable to find work in their field at at a decent pay rate. People become so specialized with PhDs that they all end up competing for the same 20 or 30 jobs. When there's a glut of PhDs it causing degree hiring inflation, which is even worse.

As an aside, I wish people would recognize that having a HS diploma is the same has having no diploma and fund free public education through to the level of at least an associate's or trade school education. Also, the stigma on trade work needs to be erased. There is nothing great about any white collar worker that sets him above a good plumber or welder.

PhD high energy physics, here. Having trouble finding work.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 27, 2014, 01:51 mag

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 22:44:
"Bash Bug “Shellshock” Is as Large an Issue as Heartbleed."

And it doesn't affect Windows or Android. I love watching smug Apple fanboys/press sites (which are largely one in the same) squirming to justify how this, the bending phones and the two emergency iOS 8 updates in two days are no big deal because it's Apple. So delicious.

Far be it from me to defend Apple, but this is really not an Apple issue. Bash is old and exists in far more than OS X.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2014, 05:16 mag

jimnms wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 21:22:
ForgedReality wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 18:09:
I also always try to buy "Enterprise" class drives whenever possible. Highest tier I can get my hands on, not the budget models, for sure. Data integrity is a pretty damned important aspect of any system, and there's no reason to skimp in that regard.

Didn't read very far into the article did you?
All the drives are "consumer grade" rather than "enterprise" drives, because enterprise drives are more than twice the price. Backblaze says: "Even if there were no warranty, a 15 percent annual failure rate on the consumer 'desktop' drive and a 0 percent failure rate on the 'enterprise' drive, the breakeven would be 10 years, which is longer than we expect to even run the drives for."

For home use, a 15% failure rate would be catastrophic if you don't keep extremely good backups, and a 0% failure rate may very well be worth twice the price. They're sticking these drives into a setup where it doesn't matter if the drive fails--the only hiccup is that they're out the manhours it takes to run around hot-swapping them all into the arrays.

For a home user, a drive failure means (at worst) complete loss of everything and (at best) the time and effort it takes to restore from backup, reinstall the OS (if that's the drive that got hit), etc. etc.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
46. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 26, 2014, 05:06 mag

Julio wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 04:01:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 23:04:
Let it go. You will resolve nothing.

Not when #Gamergate is winning. Not when the SJWs continue their agenda against male gamers. Not until Kotaku and SJW sites of that ilk are gone. Feels to me like those involved would like nothing better than for it to 'go away'. Not going to happen.

Everyone that says this whole mess is about fighting the corrupt practices of the video gaming press, this is what you're fighting against. There's this whole other group of people that insist it's about a fight against this nebulous SJW conspiracy, the chief tenants of which seem to be:

1) Wouldn't it be nice if there were more female protagonists in video games?
2) Maybe have some other female characters that aren't just there to scream/be rescued/be annoying/be abused. Remember Alyx Vance? Wasn't she kinda awesome?
3) Maybe as a community we should make an effort to call out the kids when they're being assholes to women. Such as: asking every female voice in TF2 for pics of her breasts (you know you've seen this), calling people bitches and the like (seen it in this thread), and so on.
4) Maybe the devs and PR should up their level of maturity themselves, in that respect, when interacting with the community.

37. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 22:19 mag

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 22:13:
Beamer wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 18:21:
Jesus, man. To quote Axis, "wrong."

Note the part where "to help sell that game."
Not a single person that reviewed Depression Quest is alleged to have slept with Zoe Quinn.

Or do you think it's just unconscionable that reviewers have sex with people that also make games, even if they never, ever review the games the people they have sex with make? Because there are hundreds of thousands of people that make games, and some of them have relations with people that cover games. It's true in every industry.
Wrong? Hardly. See, you're still stuck on "reviewed" which was never the issue. Rather it was "mention in the context of other titles, mainly at the start of an article." Or do you keep forgetting that?

Do you realize that in the world of real media that reviewers and sources don't bang each other. Or when they're "too close to a source" that they recuse themselves in it. You realize that doing anything like this in any other industry would be grounds for disciplinary action or outright dismissal.

Honestly, I've been trying to ignore this thing, but it keeps popping up everywhere, so now I'm trying to catch up. Can you provide some links? What articles? What person? Who are you talking about? Nathan Grayson? That's who she (allegedly?) had a relationship with, right? Sometime from May-June, according to the ex boyfriend.

I see one article by Nathan Grayson on Kotaku that even mentions Depression Quest (in the most *fleeting* way possible). From March.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2014, 17:36 mag

KS wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 15:49:
I hope children in Seattle die insane and screaming in pain from rabies from rat bites from rats chowing down and multiplying on food garbage in compost piles.

Preferrably kids of these regulators.

Also, bonus for scientific ignorance whining about CO2 in the atmosphere while whining about carbon sequestration AKA burying food (or yard) waste in landfills to combat it under the false, leftover 1970s fraud that landfill space is limited.

Wow.

16. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 16:42 mag

PropheT wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 16:20:
It started with a woman who was pushing her video game being unfaithful with the people who were writing reviews to help sell that game. That's kind of an important detail to leave out, although it was for an indie title and not a AAA game.

Wasn't this immediately proven to be a lie? Like, the person at Kotaku with whom she had a relationship had never actually reviewed her game, much less given it a favorable review?

10. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 14:28 mag

"Shut up, women! No one cares what you think! There's no misogyny in gaming!"  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2014, 00:11 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 21:53:
Pigeon wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 13:17:
I wouldn't mind red-light cameras if they were actually designed for, a safety stand point. But they revenue tools, on the ones I've seen around me the yellows are shorter, and people tend to slam on their breaks the second the light turns yellow, or slow way down when approaching a green light because they're afraid of it'll turn yellow.

Increase the time the light is yellow, and only ticket the people that blatantly run the light. But if they did that I guess they wouldn't be profiting off it.

They were found to not be legal here in Minneapolis. The thing is though, when they had them going, it did cut down on accidents. So maybe it did have the intended effect.

If you don't use a financial penalty, then how are you going to get people to conform? Cities don't run on farts and rainbows, and usually run in the red, so what if the tickets generate "revenue".

There are several other things that generate revenue that a city does that I would rather not pay and have fines imposed on people instead....

It is a problem because when you have fines as a source of revenue, you have an incentive to increase the number of fines. Cities should not be in the business of trying to make people break the law.

In many places where red light cameras were installed, the cities were found to deliberately shorten the yellow light times (below what was legal) afterward to increase the number of violations.

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
25. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 23, 2014, 03:11 mag

Task wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 23:54:
MajorD wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 19:46:
I don't care Valve, I just want to know WTF Half-Life 3 is.......
Everything else is just fluff!!!

I've given up on HL3. The problem is Mr. Gabben probably has some half finished HL3 code at their offices, but keeps pushing it back trying to re-update the engine every year like what happened with HL2's development that took forever because it was "never good enough." That and Valve's development is completely bonkers, one minute they ROLL their tables into developing fucking hats, the next they ROLL over to the STEAMBOX, and when they get bored with the fucking steambox they go back over the HATS section or DOTA2.

That is the most accurate description of Valve development.

Also, Half-Life 2 was boring and the episodes were absolute garbage. No more Half-Life, please!

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Sep 22, 2014, 20:00 mag

Glorious.  

News Comments > PC Outland This Month
2. Re: PC Outland This Month Sep 20, 2014, 06:07 mag

Groovy. I've been wanting to get this for a long time, but never got around to it.  

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
46. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 16:32 mag

siapnar wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 16:17:
Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 15:29:
I'd wait for the 20nm refresh but to each his own
When are these prospected to come out?

I'm not sure nvidia has even talked about shrinking the process...

2370 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo