Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2497 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2015, 19:33 mag

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 15:55:
How come there's never been a "gamer" distro? There were people working on Ubuntu to make things point click friendly and the Wine people working on stopgaps, but why hasn't anyone gone whole hog?

Putting together and maintaining a distribution is a lot of work. That said:

http://play-linux.com/

But seriously. Steam ought to work out-of-the-box on Ubuntu, the nvidia/ATI drivers should be cake to install, and Ubuntu's the distro that all of the GOG Linux games are going to be tested on first. Not sure what else you want.

Also Crossover Linux for people that put some extra effort into gaming under Wine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Feb 23, 2015, 19:24 mag

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 19:11:
Nice misleading title there. What point were they trying to make, exactly?

They didn't get harassed, therefore harassment is over forever and Libertarian Talking Point #1 or something, I guess.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2015, 11:23 mag

BobBob wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 10:36:
Oscars, what? Oh that, was past my bedtime.

You go to bed at 5:30?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2015, 14:15 mag

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 13:57:
InBlack wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 13:17:
Haven't seen Boyhood yet. The Imitation Game is a good flick, and Cumberbatch is awesome in it. Birdman was just brilliant and lol funny, American Sniper is standard Eastwood fare, brilliantly directed and overall a decent film but something about Chris Kyle's blind patriotism felt forced. Still need to see the Hawking movie and Selma.

IG is ruined because it's a liberal agenda film. Ok, he's gay, we get it. You can't stop bludgeoning us over the head with it. Christ, it's not like everyone else doesn't have their own problems.

And AS will obviously have to win something won't it? In spite of it being the worst kind of propaganda even liberal Hollywood still has to kowtow the MIIC. Can't be seen questioning that sort thing or yoi'll be branded as an enemy of 'Murica!

Haven't seen IG, don't really care to, etc. But seriously, are you completely ignorant as to why it's a big deal that Turing was gay? Being homosexual was illegal, and he was prosecuted for it. He was forced to undergo chemical castration. Him, one of the heroes of the damn war. And then he died shortly after, possibly from suicide. And it wasn't until a few years ago that he was given a pardon.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer
11. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer Feb 21, 2015, 19:22 mag

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 15:21:
From what I remember isn't only the mother ship talks to you in the game? Which is a female voice.

I feel like I remember the narrator from the intro cinematic speaking in the tutorial, but I might be making that up entirely.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2015, 11:32 mag

NKD wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 10:17:
The crybaby dinosaurs who complain about CGI in movies need a few teeth knocked out. Filmmaking is like anything else. You use the proper tool for the job. Sometimes, that's CGI.

I've found that a lot of times people aren't even aware of how much CGI is used in things. They'll talk about a movie or TV show "not using much CGI" and then they find out later that nearly every scene had CGI enhancing the background in lieu of a prohibitively expensive set.

Filmmakers have been using fancy techniques to get around what can be done practically since before CGI or computers were even a thing. Traveling mattes, etc. were just shoddy proto-CGI but made a lot of stuff possible or feasible that simply wasn't otherwise.

If I can tell that it's CGI, it has probably been used inappropriately. All of those times that I don't see it? Great! I love it! That's exactly when it should be used.

When it's used to animate characters that look unequivocally worse than human actors in the same role (compare orcs in LotR to The Hobbit), it's terrible. Stop it.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2015, 01:39 mag

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 22:24:
Any of you guys that bought the Sega bundle, how much do you like/hate the interface? Reading some of the Amazon reviews, apparently the interface is terrible?

The interface is atrocious.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 17, 2015, 22:11 mag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 21:13:
Hey, to be a dick at 14, but come to your senses at 16 that your sociopathic behavior is wrong, then try to make up for it by helping people be more secure, I think that's a nice character arc. I was still at dick at 16.

And there's some good info in there on how to avoid swatting.

There are a lot of inconsistencies in his story. He was doing this when he was 14, but he had been working at DirecTV for 2-3 years. He stopped a long time ago, but he did it most recently in 2015. Etc. etc.

A lot of it's obviously lies. If it's not all lies, he's pretty evidently a sociopath. There's no remorse, just the realization that it makes him seem like an idiot to his friends, and that it's all so easy that it doesn't really make him smarter than others. But he also still thinks it's cool to torment teenage girls.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Feb 9, 2015, 01:27 mag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 16:10:
walrus1 wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 15:50:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 15:04:
Valkyria Chronicles. Any good?

I had a friend who loved it on the PS3. I haven't played it but the graphical style of the game just looks like bad graphics to me.

Huh, I like and appreciated the faux watercolor look of the graphics, even if it is anime. That's the main reason I'm considering it, if the gameplay is good. Different strokes I guess.

I'm throwing in a vote for VC being great (on the PS3 anyway).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 28, 2015, 11:38 mag

wtf_man wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:16:
YouTube ditches Flash for HTML5 video by default.

Didn't work for me. I had to disable flash for it to fall back to HTML5... and I still get a brief error on the video windows as it falls back. (OSX Firefox)

That said... I can't wait for the day I don't have run / constantly update Flash.

It only works on beta versions of Firefox. The present stable Firefox does not support some parts of HTML5 that are required for the present version of the HTML5 youtube. It falls back to an old version otherwise, that doesn't support the newer features (360p or 720p only, no 60fps, etc).

That said, installed the beta version of Firefox and it works just fine.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2015, 10:18 mag

nin wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:02:
InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 09:56:
What the fuck? I had no idea they were going to reboot Indiana Jones. Oh man

Rumor was Ford did the new SW (spoiler: and dies in 7) in exchange for more Indiana Jones. But that was awhile back.

I don't think Pratt's a bad choice at all. You could do a hell of a lot worse.

Definitely a better choice than Shia LaBeouf.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2015, 01:07 mag

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 23:46:
mag wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 23:34:
Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 21:07:
It's their property they should be allowed to block wifi if they want. Some other hotel chain will be smart enough not to do that and pick up all their business. At least there's enough competition left in hospitality for that.

And what about businesses who want to just block it outright - and not sell their own service - like a theater, or library, or high end restaurant?

Also prohibited. The FCC exists for this exact reason.

I don't see how it's their business how I run my business unless I'm trying to do it in order to gouge people like the Mariott was doing. In my first bar I never had a TV. You want to watch TV stay home or go to a sports bar. Same thing with cells. Why can't I build a Faraday Cage? If people want to text and bury their faces in their phones do it somewhere else. I don't want that in my establishment.

If you want to build a Faraday cage, I don't think there's anything that would prohibit it. What you can not do is broadcast harmful interference unless you have a license of a higher priority than the one you're interfering with.

You do not own the electromagnetic spectrum on your property, and you don't have the right to interfere with people using it. On the other hand, pretty sure there's no problem with you kicking people out for using their phones, so have at.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2015, 23:34 mag

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 21:07:
It's their property they should be allowed to block wifi if they want. Some other hotel chain will be smart enough not to do that and pick up all their business. At least there's enough competition left in hospitality for that.

And what about businesses who want to just block it outright - and not sell their own service - like a theater, or library, or high end restaurant?

Also prohibited. The FCC exists for this exact reason.

News Comments > Magicka 2 Trailer; Bonus Signups
2. Re: Magicka 2 Trailer; Bonus Signups Jan 27, 2015, 23:05 mag

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 22:50:
Hrm, looks great; I loved the first one, this might be a guaranteed buy unless they really screw something up before release.

I'm stoked! First one is one of my top games of recent years.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 24, 2015, 04:20 mag

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 23:05:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 20:33:
Amazon Prime (One Year Membership) on sale tomorrow for $72.00.

Mine just re-upped in Dec, wonder if I can add to it....such a great service. Not sure how high it has to go for me to stop using it. The shipping alone is HUGE for my family.

Same. I'd jump all over the 72 bucks, but I doubt it's a rolling tally...

A lot of people are saying that you can cancel your current one at a pro-rated rate and buy the new one at $72, and various permutations, especially if you contact customer service to try to work something out.

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
15. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 24, 2015, 01:45 mag

walrus1 wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 01:21:
TangledThorns wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 19:53:
After seeing the dated graphics the sense of nostalgia dies pretty quick. It'd be nice if they were re-released with updated HD graphics. Look at Resident Evil for example, they can do the same here.

I played rouge Squadron on the N64 and I don't remember it looking that bad! Did the N64 get a graphics update or is my memory clouded by nostalgia?

Rogue Squadron was one of the games that could use the N64's memory expansion slot. It let you play at 640x480 instead of 320x240.

News Comments > Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans
56. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 23:27 mag

Once again, for clarity, it will not be subscription based.  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 19:45 mag

BobBob wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 11:40:
Nothing truly compares to always keeping oneself in motion. I sit a lot while working, so in order to compensate for being inactive, I exercise one hour on a Nordic Track Skier and ride a bicycle for about one hour along the beach. Still, it doesn't compare to constant movement. Our excessive use of technology is destroying our health in multiple ways: too much sitting, bad posture, multitasking (,) and eye strain. We need a 'paradigm shift' to make technology adapt to humans not the other way around.

The whole point of the article is that exercising once a day does not compensate for long periods of sitting. However, other studies have suggested that getting up and walking for five minutes every hour can mitigate the risks. So there's that!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 01:41 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 21:05:
mag wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 16:13:
Cutter wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:44:
Boss battles are almost never fun. I hate just having to sit and grind away. Same reason I never got into raiding in MMOs. It's boring as hell. It's like the dragons in DAI. They're pretty cool, but ultimately it just results in a long drawn out grind of a battle.

You should check out Shadow of the Colossus. The entire game is boss battles! Amazing, epic boss battles!

That game is hard. I didn't look at any help guides and gave up quickly. Thinking about trying again with some help. How the hell would I ever think to do any of that....same with Demon Souls, etc. As I get older I have been groomed to be game stupid. My brain used to be able to figure these things out - now I am dumb cause of cheevos and guides.

SotC is a little tough, but it's not really a hugely long game. I think it took me about 15 hours the first time, without looking up help. But yeah, sometimes I did have to put it down and walk away for a while before I'd think of the trick. The game is rewarding, though. I'd really recommend giving it another try... even if you need to use a guide.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, too. There's a pretty steep learning curve. You need to be patient, and you need to be willing to make mistakes. But again, I think they're entirely worth playing through, even if you have to follow along with a Let's Play or something.

News Comments > Dark Souls Removes MP Region Lock
3. Re: Dark Souls Removes MP Region Lock Jan 21, 2015, 01:37 mag

Hurray! Constant invasions in Oolacile Township again! Dark magic Havelmages galore!  

2497 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo