Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for DedEye

Real Name DedEye   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DedEye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description PC Junkie
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2002, 12:39
Total Comments 274 (Amateur)
User ID 14820

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > On C-Z and DNF Release Dates
75. Re: Dec 18, 2003, 19:26 DedEye

I had forgotten about DNF. This thread is good for a laugh, but I once again won't put much more thought into DNF until I actually see it on shelves and read some reviews.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Demo Open Letter
36. Re: Well Dec 16, 2003, 15:28 DedEye

I am saying that the exclusive demos thing sucks, but it does not affect me too much, as most exclusives are first 24 hours or similar.

It may not affect you now, but what about in the future? If one corporation, such as GSI, ends up with a monopoly, do we say goodbye to free demos?

Kudos to these sites for trying to reverse a negative trend in the gaming industry. Are they doing it for themselves? Sure they are. Could it hurt some gamers in the short term? Possibly, but the long term gains are worth any short term pains imo.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Screenshots
49. Re: Meh Dec 15, 2003, 19:28 DedEye

There are NO good games this season!

Let's see......recent games I've picked up for my PC: KotOR, X2, CoD, RRT3. I also bought CM:BtB as it came out retail. I recieved NHL2004, BF:1942SW, and MOHAA:Breakthrough as Christmas gifts. (Hey, if they come in the mail I can open them early ;)) Quite frankly, I have so many new games I'm having trouble playing them all. (Ya, I'm also trying to make myself feel better about DE:IW, and the lack of Doom 3 and HL2 ;)) Right now X2 and the Dynasty mode in NHL2004 have my interest (along with my current crop of "regulars", like il2:FB, DoD, and BF:1942), but I suspect I'm going to be busy for a number of months to come, and easily until Doom3 and HL2 arrive

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: X2 review Dec 12, 2003, 15:08 DedEye

I picked it up a couple weeks ago.

Yes, it has some rough edges but for me at least I can say "finally a game that can compare to Elite and Privateer".

News Comments > Railroad Tycoon 3 Map
2. Re: thrrrpppttt! Dec 11, 2003, 19:17 DedEye

Take some Imodium

If you like builders, this is a good game.

News Comments > Black Isle, Fallout 3 Dead
93. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2003, 21:21 DedEye

I used to be able to look forward to a dozen titles off in the future for the PC, but now????

Not to worry; something will come out of nowhere and blow you away

91. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2003, 20:33 DedEye

3) And all the way at the bottom, we have Interplay. Just don't release anything on PC. Fuck the guys who actually made you great.

There was a time when "By Gamers, for Gamers" meant something. Sadly, that time has passed.

I will agree that ignoring the console market is stupid for a developer, since there is a LOT more money to be made in it.

I posted some thoughts on this at the Avault a few moments ago, and I'll repeat them here.

Over the years there have always been more console sales than PC, and that will never change. The reason being is that they're cheaper than a PC, the average parent can relate to a "video game" versus "electronic entertainment", they can also relate to it as an "appliance" in that they require a minimal amount of skill/intellect to setup and use, and because they're directed towards a more mainstream market, you find many many more titles, and a large percentage of family titles.

PC games on the other hand assume that you have the disposable income required to own a decent rig, and have the requisite skills and knowledge for operating, and maintaining, a PC. By its very nature it is more sophisticated and people with these qualifications tend to be adults. This is reflected in the percentage of titles rated M versus E. Needless to say this is, and always has been, a much smaller market.

4. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 21:39 DedEye

No Fallout 3; that sucks bigtime =(

News Comments > GameSpyGN
2. Birds of a feather... Dec 4, 2003, 15:14 DedEye

...stick together...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DX: Invisible War Redux
26. Re: Good advice... Dec 2, 2003, 19:19 DedEye

I've been burned so many times the last few years on sequels. Civ3, Moo3, CFS3, B17:TME, SH2......and I should know better given how long I've been playing games on the PC.

If they did one thing right, it was releasing the demo ahead of time. First, it shows they're standing by their work and they believe in it. I admire that. What does it say about a game if you're afraid to release a demo ahead of, or at, shipping time? Second, it made me think about my purchase, instead of blindingly buying it because I liked the first one so much, like in my list above. I should change my nic to "Sucker4hype", but it's easy to get carried away if you enjoyed a prior title a great deal.

So I await further reviews. Based on what I've read so far, despite the scores, I remain unconvinced this game is for me.

News Comments > Gold - Deus Ex: Invisible War
113. Re: still sucks Nov 26, 2003, 15:32 DedEye

I d/l the tweak program and tweaked away. Still can't get it to save the resolution. Movement is somewhat better with mouselag=0 and other tweaks, but overall I am still disappointed.

Too many features axed with nothing to replace them. This demo has the same atmoshpere, but nowhere near the same gameplay as the original.

I want to like this game. The demo doesn't represent the final product? Perhaps, but will not risk the $70 cdn on it, not at this time.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo
285. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 19:47 DedEye

I cancelled mine today. Picking up X2 The Threat instead.

How about aiming, let's get rid of that. Just point your single gun which never has to be reloaded in the general direction of the enemy and click. That's so much more streamlined, you don't have to have all of that wasted mouse motion. You could just imagine that your character has really good aim and is always on target.

In some respects they have. I didn't see a crosshair demonstrating my increasingly accurate shot as I aim.

Individually, the features missing aren't going to have that big of an impact on gameplay. As a whole, well, everyone's taste is different.

How does removing features, or "streamlining" add to the appeal?

And why shouldn't I be surprised and disappointed? I pre-ordered DE and they came through. Out of the thousands of games I've played over the last 25 years, DE is one of the best. I've waited a long time for DE:IW, and it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Yet I remain hopeful......

If I hear a lot of stellar things about this game I'll revisit my decision. Until then there are lots of other titles that need my attention. Here's to hoping I'm wrong....

News Comments > Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo
220. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 15:53 DedEye

As I was picking up KotOR (awesome so far btw)last week at EB, I preordered DE:IW. My comment to the clerk at the time was "The possiblity that this game will suck is remote".

I d/l and played the demo Friday. Initially not impressed. I got back form the g/f's this am and gave it more time but I remain disappointed. The reasons have mostly been covered in prior posts, so I won't repeat them here. I plan on cancelling my pre-order, but also plan on keeping an open mind. I hope that my experience with this demo is not indicative of what the final product will be like. However, with the lack of further evidence to the contrary, this is currently not a purchase for me.

News Comments > Full DX: Invisible War Demo Delay
57. Hmmmm Nov 21, 2003, 21:00 DedEye

I knocked the first guard who dropped a flamethrower and torched the upper apartment occupants. It was quite good. The flame is very nice and the AI makes convincing human torches.

I found the AI characters overall look better than the original. I like the spiderbombs and the biomods. The rag-doll physics is cool. In some places the graphics aren't that great, in others they're very nice. It has the same atmosphere as the original.

It does feel dumbed down due to consolitis. As previously mentioned, the UI can be clunky. Some of the weapon models don't look as good as the original (stun prod for eg.). Performance is not that good and my mouse sticks or lags when first moved.

I think I may give it some more thought.....

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Spyware story Nov 20, 2003, 14:56 DedEye

It's amazing that the US can pass laws quickly to protect corporations (DMCA), yet bills protecting the privacy rights of its citizens languish.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 14:59.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy III - Chrome
25. Re: I knew Deus Ex Oct 29, 2003, 19:41 DedEye

lmao!
Nice piece of history too

Quite the claim indeed. But then I gots ta thinkin', how do I feel when I've worked long and hard on a project that I'm proud of. I feel pretty good about my work. Maybe that's what's going on here?

....then I thought; nah.......

I passed on Halo PC. Tried it on my cousins Xbox last Christmas, it was ok. I'll probably pass on this, unless a demo changes my mind. But then, I d/l less demos these days because they're so big, and compared to a few years ago, so short. How ironic is that?

Still, there are some very promising titles in the works, so all is not lost

News Comments > Ships Ahoy I: Final Fantasy XI
21. Re: Stay Away!!!! Oct 28, 2003, 19:10 DedEye

Sick of level treadmills......

The only reason to withold information is so you have to play longer which means you have to keep subscribing.

Why don't they make a MMORPG more similar to conventional RPGs? What is so wrong with rewarding the player(s) and allowing advancement at a brisk pace? (Apparently Shadowbane implements this<?>) Kick the marketing guys in the nads. So what if some peeps finish in two months. Many more would take longer, and hey, dish out an expansion or two. After a couple/few years it's time to move on to something new anyway.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Delay? Maybe, Playable? Yes
77. Re: I'm honestly shocked... Oct 7, 2003, 19:42 DedEye

There exists a small but vocal group of negativists, hatemongers, and trolls. Yesterday (and ongoing, just currently out of the spotlight) it was MS, EA, Ubi, et al; Valve just happens to be the target of the day because they're in the buzz.

3 things lead to theft: Greed, Envy, Malice.

Am I pissed? Yup. Do I blame Valve? Nope. I blame the sorry asses who at some point in their lives went astray and think it's ok to steal.

News Comments > Battle of Britain Declared (Again)
11. Re: Africa? Oct 6, 2003, 21:00 DedEye

Hopefully we get the tools to make our own perhaps.....but now the thought just struck me of the recently released "dedicated" server, so maybe not

News Comments > UFO: Aftermath Patch
17. Title Oct 6, 2003, 20:50 DedEye

With a title like "UFO:Aftermath" it invites comparison. I checked out the website a few times because I am interested in it. It states they drew inspiration from the XCom series, but that yes, it is a different game. The question that I have; is it a good game?

Demo please

274 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo