Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3897 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
26. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 14:13 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:28:
Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:00:
This patch cannot fix the terrible AI and the terribly linear level design.

Have you actually played the game or are you just repeating what the reviews say? Because most of the game is pretty open-ended, with branching paths and secret areas abound. There are occasional setpieces which are very much linear but these are not representative of the game as a whole. Of the 40+ hours I've put into the game, maybe 1 hour of that was spent in linear sequences.

As for AI, yes, it has occasional pathfinding and dialogue issues but by stealth game standards, it's pretty decent. Guards not only react to sight and sound but they notice changes in the environment as well, like doors and safes left open. Bugs aside, the AI is better than it was in the previous games.
I have seen playthrough videos on youtube. The days of having to play a game or read reviews to know something about it are long gone. I can speak intelligently about a game without having had played it. Saves me money and buyer's remorse.

Tell me that this picture is not representative of the game:
http://imageshack.com/a/img837/4504/ksb5.png

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
19. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 05:00 Overon

This patch cannot fix the terrible AI and the terribly linear level design.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
37. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 8, 2014, 23:06 Overon

mag wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 22:35:
Overon wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 20:25:
I'm looking at the graphics in this game and I don't see much of a difference between dark souls 1 and dark souls 2. Then I watch the playthroughs and it plays like dark souls 1. Is there anything new in this game besides a different location and different enemies?

New story, new enemies, new location, new weapons, tweaks to the combat mechanics, tweaks to the multiplayer mechanics, tweaks to the spell mechanics... what do you want from a sequel?
Innovation!

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
26. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 20:25 Overon

I'm looking at the graphics in this game and I don't see much of a difference between dark souls 1 and dark souls 2. Then I watch the playthroughs and it plays like dark souls 1. Is there anything new in this game besides a different location and different enemies?  

News Comments > PC Dark Souls II Next Month
20. Re: PC Dark Souls II Next Month Mar 7, 2014, 07:09 Overon

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 00:05:
Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 22:27:
Tom wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 21:14:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 20:09:
The savings and enjoyment I get out of a $39/year vpn service has paid itself over so many times it's baffling others complain and don't join in.

Yes, why people would ever want to avoid committing fraud is baffling indeed.

How is it fraud? The net is global. What it is is immoral...regional pricing that is.
Regional pricing is immoral?

I was going to ask further about medicine, but then I remembered that you think most sick people should die because that's how it works in the wild.
Naturalistic fallacy. Just because it is found in nature doesn't mean it's good. Just because it is not found in nature doesn't mean it's bad.

Also if one thing is wrong and you do another thing that is wrong, that doesn't make any of them right. Two wrongs add up somehow into a something right.

Having said that I don't think regional pricing is wrong. I think it's amoral, it has no moral status at all. The same thing with using vpn to get around regional pricing. And if one or both are immoral, then they are pretty small wrongs I can live with.

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Layoffs
18. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 23:38 Overon

MajorD wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 20:37:
Overon wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:49:
Rattlehead wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:20:
Pretty standard practice to lay off most of the staff after a project has been shipped, and even more common when reviews are not up to par. This is why the gaming industry can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.
If that's the case they should lay off the people whose direction resulted in the sub par reviews game. Not the people implementing their will. But that doesn't happen as often as it should.

Fixed that for you.

I accept your fix

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Layoffs
8. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 18:49 Overon

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:20:
Pretty standard practice to lay off most of the staff after a project has been shipped, and even more common when reviews are not up to par. This is why the gaming industry can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.
If that's the case they should lay off the people whose direction resulted in the sub par reviews. Not the people implementing their will. But that doesn't happen as often as it should.

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Next Month?
15. Re: Dark Souls II PC Next Month? Mar 2, 2014, 02:43 Overon

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 18:33:
Overon wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:30:
Linksil wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 13:48:
PHJF wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:53:
They need extra time to make sure it is somehow even worse a port than Dark Souls.

I thought they said somewhere that they were deving for PC first and then porting to consoles to try to not make that mistake again.
Yeah the gaming rag media were saying that it's developed for PC first, reporting what the marketing team was telling them. Which is contradicted by the fact that it's coming out a month after the console version. If you develop for PC, then it should be out before or at the same time as the consoles, not after. It's bullshit.
why do you say that? The PC version has to be tested on many different configurations, optimizing for both intel, AMD, and Nvidia configurations. And it's basically been known for a long time that the PC version would be released sometime after the console version.
I haven't considered that possibility.

14. Re: Dark Souls II PC Next Month? Mar 2, 2014, 02:43 Overon

Linksil wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 17:05:
Overon: Or they have been paid for XXX months console exclusive. Which happens way too much.
I hadn't considered this possibility.

5. Re: Dark Souls II PC Next Month? Mar 1, 2014, 14:30 Overon

Linksil wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 13:48:
PHJF wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:53:
They need extra time to make sure it is somehow even worse a port than Dark Souls.

I thought they said somewhere that they were deving for PC first and then porting to consoles to try to not make that mistake again.
Yeah the gaming rag media were saying that it's developed for PC first, reporting what the marketing team was telling them. Which is contradicted by the fact that it's coming out a month after the console version. If you develop for PC, then it should be out before or at the same time as the consoles, not after. It's bullshit.

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans
28. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans Feb 26, 2014, 17:25 Overon

They are continuing development. This should have been an "early access" game.  

News Comments > Warhammer 40K: Storm of Vengeance Next Month
3. Re: Warhammer 40K: Storm of Vengeance Next Month Feb 25, 2014, 17:14 Overon

Games Worshop keeps abusing their license selling it off so that shovelware can be made from it. Nothing says "In the grim darknes of the far future, there is only war" like a Plants vs Zombies clone.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2014, 19:24.

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
99. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 23:36 Overon

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 13:03:
Sigh. This game is making Deadly Shadows look good. If we're at 71% now, we'll probably end up in the mid to low 60s by the end of everything.

Overly abundant loot, inconsistent missions/levels, bad story, bland characters, interface and functionality issues, small design scope, the city hub being poorly designed, etc... This series was far better prior to Eidos "fixing" it.
R.I.P. Looking Glass.
Getting about what I expected from Eidos,
Ray
What interface and functionality issues?

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
94. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 22:57 Overon

So I have seen that this game is proper pc port in terms of the myriad of sound, graphics including high FOV, difficulty, and control settings.

However the level design nothing like the first two thief games where your path was as you chose it. Apparently in this one the paths are pretty linear. In this one apparently it's like a series of closets and emergent gameplay like rope arrows can only be used in specific locations. In the thief games you could use them wherever you had wood. I give them props for a high competence pc port. I wish other devs would respect the PC platform and give us that at least.

News Comments > Steam Video Capture Utility
1. Re: Steam Video Capture Utility Feb 24, 2014, 17:09 Overon

Wouldn't it be nice if steam included such an app with steam at no extra charge?  

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
13. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 23, 2014, 18:51 Overon

I hope that that picture is not representative of the level design in Thief. Because if it is, that's a disgrace and a step backwards and representative of console level design.  

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Signups
1. Re: Titanfall Beta Signups Feb 11, 2014, 21:33 Overon

Origin is of the devil. I have an irrational dislike for an inferior steam clone and I have a dislike for the idea of another client I have to install to purchase games. Also I don't believe EA is worthy of my moneys.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2014, 23:21.

News Comments > Crashed Lander Demo
3. Re: Crashed Lander Demo Feb 9, 2014, 16:39 Overon

Is that the Flying Sphagetti Monster emblem?  

News Comments > Evolve Teases Tuesday Reveal
2. Re: Evolve Teases Tuesday Reveal Feb 9, 2014, 16:36 Overon

Where is the substance?  

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Adds Mantle Support
16. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Adds Mantle Support Feb 2, 2014, 23:54 Overon

I understand that the star swarm stress test demo has variability but I ran it once using direct x and I got a 19 fps average. I ran it again with mantle and I got 38 fps average.

I have a 7950.

So looks like the ancient days of 3dfx and their Glide API are back, now AMD has Mantle API. Hey if somehow Steam/Valve and Mantle can get us off the Microsoft OS's and onto Linux/Steam OS, I will be happy.

3897 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo