Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3871 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > "Stunning" Nitrous Engine Impressions
32. Re: Jan 9, 2014, 17:26 Overon

Hold on are we getting excited over a tech demo that we haven't seen but only heard described by a 3rd party?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
71. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 11:03 Overon

Well someones or some groups can certainly ddos well. Look at this guy's plight
here
He got pizza orders, constant phone calls, got swatted, got multiple non swat visits from police as well and every game he streamed got taken down in sequence.

News Comments > Deadpool Game Disappearance
13. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 19:55 Overon

I wish the game was pulled to hide their shame. But alas it was probably pulled because of some licensing stuff. Not even with the mighty Marvel license did they make the expected return?  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
26. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 25, 2013, 20:00 Overon

Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 19:36:
Wasn't someone arguing with me during the SimCity debacle that steam.never has unplanned downtime?

contrary to what some here say, building capacity to fluke peaks is idiotic.
Yeah it may be idiotic if you build capacity permanently but it's not idiotic if it's only temporary capacity.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
5. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 25, 2013, 16:16 Overon

Why can't valve anticipate that when they do something like this their website store goes down due to load. Why not throw some extra capacity at the problem to prevent it from happening? Now people can't access the site to buy games.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2013, 17:01.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Updated Demo
8. Re: Age of Decadence Updated Demo Dec 22, 2013, 15:27 Overon

This game is been in development for 10 years now?  

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Dec 18, 2013, 18:20 Overon

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:59:
Right now, most map locations don't open up until the plot has advanced sufficiently, which means that roaming the world in search of adventure just doesn't really exist, and this also diminishes the importance of world map travel.

It would really be nice if reviewers would bother TO READ THE FUCKING ANNOUNCEMENTS THAT GO WITH A BETA.

From the update regarding the beta:

Scope

Because this beta doesn’t include all the Arizona maps, this portion of the game will feel a bit more linear than the full experience will, particularly with the first maps being narrower locations rather than proper hubs. The final game will have a more open feel where you can poke around and check the defenses of higher level areas and perhaps snatch an item or two. So fear not, as there will be more strange areas to discover in the final, and we will be dropping more in throughout this beta phase. In addition, we’ll be adding more quests to each map as well

So yes, Gamebanshee. That's because IT'S A BETA.
We got to be careful of using "it's a beta" to whitewash problems. I think people are too quick to call it a beta and dismiss any complains even if the complaints are deeply systemic and unlikely to be addressed before the game ships. Can't wait to see if this is going to be the case in the full version.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2013, 18:31.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
2. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 14, 2013, 11:23 Overon

Oh this game has now developed a sordid history that can now be written into novel length.

It is a mech buying and customizing death match simulator. All the promised metagame features are still missing in action.
It's not just the $500 mechs it's that they are being delivered in June of 2014, more than 6 months from now. The business model is selling mechs. Also no word about this "most exclusive and treasured of Clan Technologies" are and how it will impact the death match balance of the game." The game has virtually made no progress since they started selling the Phoenix Pack and now this.

This about sums up the state of the game.

http://i.imgur.com/P136CJY.png

P.S. The clan omnimechs don't have hard points. But they do MWO because if they didn't they couldn't sell variants. So these omnimechs have hardpoints so that variants can be sold. Can't have only one MadCat to sell when you can have the prime, 2 variants, and the gold plated "khan collection" version.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2013, 11:43.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced
21. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced Dec 2, 2013, 17:34 Overon

Games Workshop licenses their stuff to the highest bidder to make crappy dinky games instead of the epic high budget grand production values that the license deserves. Another crappy title that is going to riding it's license to profitability.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
11. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 12:05 Overon

Technically he is probably correct. But I can't shake the suspicion that this talk is self serving given how nvidia hardware is not in the ps4 and xbox one. The hardware was in the previous generation of console hardware and we didn't hear nvidia say that then. Hypocrisy sure but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2013, 12:13.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 26, 2013, 11:02 Overon

I have heard people record their conversations with the fake tech support people and they were egging them on for a while pretending that they were gullible. Quite funny really but imagine all those people who were actual victims.  

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
32. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 22, 2013, 23:13 Overon

I give John Carmack lots of props for his historical legacy. His programming skill birthed and popularized first person shooters. I hope the best for him. His career has seemingly been all roses until the technical issues with RAGE. John's RAGE implementation of virtual texturing aka "megatexturing" doesn't run so well on AMD hardware and the PS3 and the close up texture quality was better in games years older. That to me is the ONLY black mark on Carmack's otherwise glorious record. I hope the best for him and that occulus rift kicks ass and once again Carmack will be on the forefront of cutting edge technology and hopefully will bring virtual gaming to the masses.

This is a huge blow to id and it may not be an exaggeration to say that id is now a shadow of its former self. Prove me wrong id!

News Comments > Two New Space Hulk Campaigns
7. Re: Two New Space Hulk Campaigns Nov 22, 2013, 20:40 Overon

Darks wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:04:
Prez wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:14:
The reviews have been pretty poor for Space Hulk, but I've spoken to two different people who said the game is It's more a diamond in the rough than an out and out bad game from what I've heard.

Prez, I personally hate this game. The Space Marines miss shooting a target practically in their face with a flamer. I mean give me a break already. A flamer that is AOE and nukes the entire area and he misses an Alien. Thats when I just up and quit and said I had enough. There are other instance to similar to this one wit the Marines missing their target way to many times. So, I'm done with this shit title and wont spend another dime on it.
Actually it's not that the flamers miss, is that they fail to kill the enemy. Also this is a purely dice rolling game. It's contrived, this is why you miss a guy that's standing right in front of you. In the fiction the space marine terminators would wipe out a genestealer that he could see but not if there were coming at him from multiple angles he could get overwhelmed. There is no representation of this in the game. Like I said, it's contrived. With the storm bolter you roll 2d6, if any one of the dice is 6+, the genestealer dies.

News Comments > Two New Space Hulk Campaigns
1. Re: Two New Space Hulk Campaigns Nov 22, 2013, 13:38 Overon

Ahh as expected milk that license! Look at the reviews for this game, they are pretty bad and the game launch in beta shape. Thankfully they fixed the vast majority of technical issues. I wish these licenses to make games based on 40k were not given to the highest bidder who will turn around and to put the least amount of resources into the game and get sales off the license alone. 40k needs a big developer with lots of time and money to make it shine not the guys behind Full Control or the like.  

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2013, 21:24 Overon

Cabezone wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 17:28:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPIu3sDkEw

The relevant part is roughly 60 seconds in.

Well then if she did give that speech before the kickstarter in which she claimed she has been playing video game since she was little, then that is deceptive and she misrepresented herself in the kickstarter. However before I go as far as that, I would love to see if she ever responded to this charge. I wonder if there is a more innocent explanation.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2013, 21:32.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2013, 16:02 Overon

ASeven wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 09:18:
After she was exposed as a liar who didn't play vídeo games in her youth at all, after all her vídeos were easily debunked since they are made up with pointless rhethoric, pseudo-science BS... she still goes at it. Amazing.

No doubt the usual professional victim defenders will pipe in here though.
Not trying to be a dick do you have links to the "did not play video games in her youth" I do remember she made claims she was playing video games since she was small as a street cred measure. But if that's not true what is the evidence?

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
39. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 17:37 Overon

You know, people who made this game number one make me angry. Why? Because you signal companies that you will pay for dog shit and developers/publishers will continue to release unfinished games. Nevermind the technical issues, the game has design issues that are unlikely ever to be addressed. You have an irrational confidence.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 17, 2013, 16:29 Overon

Here is what one youtuber said about this game and yet people are recommending it? You have to be a sucker to buy this game: http://youtu.be/LxUx96-6-dw
After 12 hours these are the things that annoy me most:

* No radar type display. I don't know if an enemy ship is right behind me, or way behind me. This game is set after the other X games. Why have they lost this technology? I thought that perhaps this type of scanner/radar would be an upgrade for my ship.

* No targeting commands. I have to see an enemy ship to target it. No keys to switch targeting, next target, previous target, nearest enemy, etc.

* What speed am I travelling at? I have no idea. This information isn't displayed for me as a number I could compare to other ships, missiles, drones, etc... but I can't get a readout of their speed either. Speed control seems more appropriate for a WW2 sub game. "All ahead one quarter"

* I can't glance sideways while flying. I know the character can turn right round to face internal displays, yet he can't turn his head just a tad to gain situational awareness in combat. I wasn't expecting TrackIR support, just glance left/right/up/down.

* The maps. Absolutely baffling. I have no real awareness of where I am in relation to anything else. I have no real idea of how to navigate manually from one place to another. Plot course gives me an idea, but it's terrible that I can't work that out from studying the in game maps.

* The co-pilot. What is she for other than giving hints in the campaign? All she does other than that is dock for the player. There's no proper way of the player really docking themselves.

* No autopilot. Another case of technology regressing. I could live without an actual autopilot. I'd rather give orders to my co-pilot and she could carry them out. It would give her something to do.

* The drones. These could work if done properly. The ones I've tried fly slower than my ship. It means endless flying towards their target, or flying so close first in your main ship that they become almost pointless. Also, if the player ship is attacked while controlling drones the co-pilot does nothing. And... the command to call up preferences (perhaps to double check what a keyboard shortcut is) is the same control used to leave the drone. And... you might have piloted the drone out to its maximum range... hit ESC... hit T again and it's back available for deployment in an instant.

* The pointless annoying mini game of flying round all over a space station/factory/base just to find out what all the bits are. You'd think that will all that traffic flying around, docking areas would be signposted better with navigation lights and guides.

* Guards and other NPCs inside stations and ships just standing there watching silently as you loot and pillage your way through all their boxes and lockers, stealing all their spare spacesuits. And... credit chips and valuables being stores in airducts.

* The main ship interior. This could have been done well and would have aided immersion, but it's been done badly. The graphics in the back area of the ship are horrendously low-res. Silent Hunter V is an example of a game that does this well. You can walk about freely in your uboat and it adds to the immersion. In X-Rebirth all you can do is pass through the door into a badly rendered tiny room, and all you can do there is talk to a couple of crew. You can't walk freely around the forward cockpit area.

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
6. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 10:07 Overon

The demo we saw was not Thief it is dishonored and assassin's creed. And this game can't be good. Thus is my prediction.  

News Comments > AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances
20. Re: AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances Nov 8, 2013, 18:29 Overon

noman wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 17:11:
InBlack wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 10:30:
How the fuck does that reduce the variance? It just increases the max fan setting. If anything it would increase the variance. And since when is 40% max??? What the fuck is wrong with 100%! Furious

Seriously, right now there is no need to buy the 290X when the 290 is as fast as it. Unless these drivers are nerfing the 290 somehow.....

The fix is not about changing the max fan limit from 40 to 47%. That particular fix was already there in 13.11 beta8 and is specific to 290 (not 290X) anyway.

The fix here is controlling the fan limits properly. They have an RPM sensor for the fan, and a PWM voltage control. The fan % setting until now was controlling PWM. The assumption was that 47% PWM voltage pulse will give you a certain amount of RPM resulting in certain noise (and cooling properties). However the electrical/mechanical properties are such that same 47% PWM may result in slightly different fan speeds on different cards, which caused temperature variance. The new driver takes the RPM sensor data and set the max PWM to be any voltage which gives 47% (or whatever you configure the max limit to) fan speed.

It makes sense, as the fan speed is what the driver is supposed to control anyway as a noise/heat tradeoff.
Well of course there will be variances because the ambient temperature is going to be different. So in the summer x amount of performance is going to cost more noise than in the winter.

3871 Comments. 194 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo