Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3839 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Violent Game Debate Video, Recap
14. Re: Violent Game Debate Video, Recap Mar 19, 2011, 12:19 Overon

Blind faith? No offense, we are all ignorant of most things. But may I suggest you read about the philosophy of science and you will understand why it's the very opposite of the blind faith. It it is anathema to blind faith.

Medical psychoanalysis is not a recognized name of area of science I'm familiar with.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Violent Game Debate Video, Recap Mar 19, 2011, 11:11 Overon

space captain wrote on Mar 19, 2011, 10:20:
Overon wrote on Mar 19, 2011, 09:49:
Science. The same method used to create airplanes that fly through the air (the people that question the state of the science of violent videoo games don't question whether an airplane will fly, they trust that it will) have been used and continue to be used to see if violent video games cause harm. And the answer is probably not, and at the very least the answer is probably not enough to justify laws restricting their sale.

i tend to think aeronautic engineering is quite different than medical psychoanalysis... or is that "blasphemy" against "science"?
Violent video game effects would fall under the broad category of social psychology. I don't even know what that made up "medical psychoanalysis" is. The scientific method and it's underlying philosophy are the basis for aeronautical engineering and social psychology. That's why they are both sciences.

Blasphemy? Science is a method of obtaining reliable information about the natural world. You either apply the scientific method to obtain information or you do not. You have science confused with religion.

10. Re: Violent Game Debate Video, Recap Mar 19, 2011, 09:49 Overon

All the arguments against violent video games pre-suppose that they cause enough harm that laws have to be passed to restrict their sale are justified. Unfortunately that very premise that violent video games cause harm is unjustified. How do we know that? Science. The same method used to create airplanes that fly through the air (the people that question the state of the science of violent videoo games don't question whether an airplane will fly, they trust that it will) have been used and continue to be used to see if violent video games cause harm. And the answer is probably not, and at the very least the answer is probably not enough to justify laws restricting their sale.  

News Comments > BioShock 2 Patch
12. Re: BioShock 2 Patch Mar 17, 2011, 20:12 Overon

This bargain bin game is worth getting if you liked bioshock 1 and you are not going to to be shocked by lack of widescreen support, poor mouse controls, you now, the same things that were wrong with bioshock 1.  

News Comments > Homefront Sells 375K in One Day
18. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 07:02 Overon

You are dead to me, you are dead to me, lalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  

News Comments > Activision's EA Lawsuit Continues
2. Re: Activision's EA Lawsuit Continues Mar 16, 2011, 22:27 Overon

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 22:17:
They're all evil.
Maybe. But evil is a continuum. Some are more evil than others. I want to know who is more evil in this case.

News Comments > Homefront Sells 375K in One Day
2. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 16, 2011, 22:19 Overon

If it's true, then I have one thing to say:

What's wrong with you people? Is there anything you won't buy?

News Comments > Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day
76. Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 19:08 Overon

That's why user reviews are nearly worthless unless everyone complains about the same thing(s). Then you can take the comments with a much smaller grain of salt.  

News Comments > THQ Stock Drops
12. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 18:39 Overon

What do they teach you guys in history classes? How can you even draw parallels between Nazi Germany and North Korea? Where do I begin? Nazi Germany rose in a climate of appeasement where all of Europe just finished fighting World War 1 and didn't want a repeat. Who is appeasing North Korea? Germany was not embargoed and its people starving like North Korea. Have you watched the first 15 minutes of the game. They show little clips of the history of how things got so bad. None of them plausible. It's like Fox News pundits wrote the script to the game.

Just like when you make a movie that portrays some basic historical reality, you expect some dose of reality. Bottom line it's just a game. But it seems to me a bit on the propaganda side where North Korea is demonized.

News Comments > THQ Stock Drops
1. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 17:42 Overon

You can watch the first 15 minutes of the game and you will see that's is a console styled first person shooter with a implausible plot:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-15-homefront-review

The plot is an insult to anyone who knows the very basics of North Koreas's situation. North Korea taking over the world, please. They can't feed their people because of the sanctions and their lack of resources.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2011, 17:48.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Beta Patch
102. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 14, 2011, 22:24 Overon

Anyone want to see an interesting review conspiracy theory for dragon age 2:
http://i.imgur.com/BEZOe.png

99. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 14, 2011, 17:10 Overon

Zoom wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 08:49:
Overon wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 06:59:
There is still hope. There is Witcher 2. Though it won't be much like Baldur's gate but hopefully will be PC centric.
I wouldnt put it in the same bag. While i love Witcher and its story (and definitely getting the 2nd), it's more of a hack and slash for me than a proper CRPG. I wouldnt compare it to Gothic, Risen or TES...
At this point I will settle for any RPG that has PC centric design crpg or otherwise.

81. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 14, 2011, 06:59 Overon

Zoom wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 05:42:
I dont see the need to fight over this abortion of a game.
Just dont buy it, ignore it, and see what Risen 2 / TES 5 have to offer instead...
There is still hope. There is Witcher 2. Though it won't be much like Baldur's gate but hopefully will be PC centric.

57. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 21:25 Overon

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:21:
After a few days of playing it I really can handle all the changes to Dragon Age 2 except for one.

I have been in the same 3 tilesets OVER and OVER and OVER. I am sick of seeing 1 HUGE cave split up into smaller parts for quests, or some extra walls thrown in trying to make a new map. It's cheap, lazy and unprofessional. I am really surprised Bioware did this.
Do you remember the side quests for Mass Effect 1? They repeated the same textures in different room layouts. No surprise to me. It takes a long time to develop a cRPG. Bioware no longer does. It's a simple economic matter, why develop a cRPG which is so costly when you can develop a loss costly game and it still sells like hotcakes?

2. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 16:13 Overon

Fans of Dragon Age who liked that it was a cRPG will want to think twice before purchasing Dragon Age 2 because it's it not a cRPG in any sense.

P.S. I'm clearly bitter at how Dragon Age 2 is.

1. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 16:13 Overon

Fans of Dragon Age who liked that it was a cRPG will want to think twice before purchasing Dragon Age 2 because it's it not a cRPG in any sense.  

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II DRM
31. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 10:19 Overon

Maybe someone should take the time to compare and contrast dragon age 2 with dragon age 1 to list everything that is wrong with dragon age 2.  

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II DRM
8. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 11, 2011, 22:52 Overon

These are not the droids you are looking for.  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Announced
31. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 11, 2011, 20:23 Overon

None of the complexity and gameplay mechanics found in tribes 1 and tribes 2 can possibly be recreated on a console. The controller is the major limitation. The other major limitation is the inevitable console styled first person shooter expectation found in every major console fps: small maps which put people in tight quarters to force the action.

These games had high learning curves which the antithesis of console styled shooter design.

Prove me wrong Hi-Rez.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Launch Trailer
21. Re: Dragon Age 2 Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2011, 19:56 Overon

*Sigh* I played the demo. I'm not a troll. Others have stated far more eloquently why this game is a pale imitation of the original PC designed game. You just haven't been paying attention.  

3839 Comments. 192 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo