Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3838 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes
7. Re: The Man Who Mar 29, 2011, 22:27 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 22:17:
So with Vengeance being more like the original Tribes, and less like Tribes 2 in regards to physics and map design, we made part of the audience happy, and part unhappy.

Tribes Vengeance wasn't much like T1 either. Firstly, T1 didn't have force fields that prevented you from leaving the battlefield. Many of the best cap routes started outside of the battlefield perimeter, so preventing players from leaving reduced the amount of potential routes that could be found. Secondly, T1 didn't have giants mines as deployables. They were more like grenades that you could throw. Thirdly, T1 didn't have extremely annoying spammerific vehicles. Fourthly, in T1, your gear didn't scatter all over the battlefield when you died. It remained on your corpse, making salvaging much more efficient. Fifthly, nobody wanted a single-player campaign for Tribes. It was just a waste of time and money.
Here here. Don't forget Tribes 1 didn't have the glaring bugs of Tribes Vengeance that never got fixed and this article just confirms why.

I really hope Tribes Ascend won't be shallow console game but but since it's coming on XBLA, I don't have high hopes for it.

There will never be another Tribes game like Tribes 1 or a Tribes 2 on PC as long as the game is developed for consoles with their consistent action focused streamlined gameplay.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2011, 22:32.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
16. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 19:41 Overon

eunichron wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 18:22:
Great. The driver install caused a blue screen, my first ever on WIn7.

Sick of this shit, I'm switching back to Nvidia next generation.
Something wrong with your graphics card maybe, like a hardware problem.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
11. Re: Release Notes? Mar 29, 2011, 17:15 Overon

Is this the driver that will make console port fun?

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2011, 19:39.

News Comments > Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Debunked
2. Re: Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Debunked Mar 28, 2011, 22:27 Overon

It's a console game. What console supports DX 11 features like tesselation?  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Specs
17. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Mar 27, 2011, 21:30 Overon

Blue:
"The requirements are low" should say "The requirements are not low"

I mean the translation is wrong.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2011, 05:53.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Tweak Tool
20. Re: Crysis 2 Tweak Tool Mar 27, 2011, 14:18 Overon

Wadsie guy who wrote the application
http://www.wasdie.blogspot.com/
should be hired those developers to make PC centered configuration gui's for their games. He put in everything a PC gamer would want:
toggle zoom
toggle crouch
mouse smoothing
mouse acceleration
no intros
field of view
and shitloads of individual graphical settings.
He's awesome and made a shitty console port a a lot more tolerable. Nice job.

News Comments > Homefront Sells a Million
3. Re: Homefront Sells a Million Mar 24, 2011, 21:55 Overon

People will buy anything, little quality control is exercised.  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Workarounds
18. Re: Crysis 2 Workarounds Mar 24, 2011, 19:35 Overon

You know what's a good workaround for PC gamers who enjoy quality PC centered first person shooter games? Tell EA/Crytek to shove it by not buying it. Let them blame piracy for the disappointing PC sales. Don't buy crappy console ports. And this is one of the crappiest in a while.  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Workarounds
17. Re: Crysis 2 Workarounds Mar 24, 2011, 19:30 Overon

Bitching about bitching.

What does a buyer of something do when he has a bad experience with what he's bought in the 2011? He complains about on the internet. Shocked?

News Comments > Space Marine in August
12. Re: Space Marine in August Mar 24, 2011, 18:27 Overon

http://www.dasreviews.com/das-latest-greatest/crytek-doomed-crysis-2s-pc-version/

I might not agree with the doomed part, but the points made are valid and the game is not PC game friendly.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Patched
35. Re: Crysis 2 Patched Mar 24, 2011, 18:25 Overon

Krovven wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 23:03:
Overon wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 18:51:
PC gamers this is what you need to know:
http://www.dasreviews.com/das-latest-greatest/crytek-doomed-crysis-2s-pc-version/

This is why Crysis 2 is a no go for PC gamers.

Overon, have you played it, or are you just following this ridiculous writeup?

DX11, 5.6% of users on Steam have DX11 capable machines. It's coming in a patch. The whining in that article about it not being native DX11 and 64bit, is just ridiculous.

"Press Start Button" was fixed in the beta, and although I didn't have the game running immediately after release, it only had 'Enter'. But OMFG, Crysis 2 is doomed because of this!

Hardware issues...they happen with every game, some get fixed, some do not, others have nothing to do with the game and is a vendor driver issue.

SDK/UDK, abandoning modders...it's all speculation. SDK has been said to be coming out in the summer. But, OMFG Crysis 2 will have competition in the fall *cries the author of that article*. Welcome to the games industry, competition and tons of it.

These points seem to give this author the idea that Crysis 2 is somehow doomed to fail on PC because of these things. That's laughable and he seems pretty dumb. Might I point out that these 3 issues effect a very tiny portion of people, and nothing here will be more than a passing thought.

The only thing he is right about is the lack of in-game advanced graphics options. It's kinda strange that they didn't. With that said, the options that are there, have it running well set to Extreme on my aging system.

I played the MP beta. The part you don't understand is that there are people like me, who like a game that was designed for PC like Crysis, have a sequel that also caters to PC gamers. This one does not. Also I like how you conveniently forgot to mention the point made in the article about those stupid graphics options "ethusiast, gamer" etc.

28. Re: Crysis 2 Patched Mar 23, 2011, 18:51 Overon

PC gamers this is what you need to know:

This is why Crysis 2 is a no go for PC gamers.

12. Re: Crysis 2 Patched Mar 22, 2011, 22:08 Overon

Are they trying to pc-fy it?  

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint: Red River & GFWL
18. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Red River & GFWL Mar 22, 2011, 17:28 Overon

GFWL? No thanks.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer
9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 21, 2011, 22:27 Overon

That first level looks just as claustrophobic as that other Deus Ex game called Invisible War. Oy my consolitis is flaring up.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer
5. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 21, 2011, 22:03 Overon

I hope it's good. I hope they throw PC gamers a bone and at least not fuck up the widescreen support and keyboard and mouse control.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II SecuROM Follow-up
32. Re: Dragon Age II SecuROM Follow-up Mar 20, 2011, 23:15 Overon

I'm tired of reading "DRM does not work." You people who make this argument are making the same "all or nothing" logical fallacy over and over again. DRM does not have to be 100% for it to be "effective enough." Please realize this. There is a whole spectrum of DRM ranging from "game can be copied a million times on a million pc's" to "a game can only be be installed on 1 PC only."

News Comments > Dragon Age II SecuROM Follow-up
22. Re: Dragon Age II SecuROM Follow-up Mar 20, 2011, 18:51 Overon

Enough with the conspiracy theories and the demonizing of various companies. This entire situation can most simply be explained by saying that some company does not believe that securom release control qualifies as DRM as in the same sense of a disk check or key or installation authorization check.

Always define your terms and you never get into this mess.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2011, 23:09.

News Comments > Violent Game Debate Video, Recap
17. Re: Violent Game Debate Video, Recap Mar 19, 2011, 17:17 Overon

Well you trade faith in some unknown, for faith in some numbers and your beloved scientific method, and there is plenty of things that can go wrong there too.
I have justified and reasonable beliefs, it is not faith. Faith is believing in something that cannot be justified. I have good reasons for what I believe. The things that can go wrong are known and are factored into the scientific method.

Coming up with an equation which defines how an object would fall is one thing (that's pretty solid) but determining what effect playing a violent video game has on the human psyche is another.
Yes they seem very different don't they. Yet the same scientific method is used to determine one and the other. It's just that the conclusions of the human study of behavior are less certain because one cannot run an experiment when one controls all the variables. So what does one do in such a case? Well that's the beauty of randomization. As long as you have enough of a sample size, and you randomly assign children to various groups at random, you will tend to average out all the variables you cannot control.

The burden of proof is on the person making the positive claim. In other words someone says that violent video games cause violence. The burden of proof is on them to demonstrate that this is so. Why is that? Because one can claim an infinite number of things. How would one know which of those claims are justified? The way to know is with quality evidence that supports the claim.

The claim that violent video games cause violence is currently unsupported by the preponderance of evidence. It may be in the future, but it is not now. Therefore restricting violent video games is unjustified.

News Comments > Violent Game Debate Video, Recap
14. Re: Violent Game Debate Video, Recap Mar 19, 2011, 12:19 Overon

Blind faith? No offense, we are all ignorant of most things. But may I suggest you read about the philosophy of science and you will understand why it's the very opposite of the blind faith. It it is anathema to blind faith.

Medical psychoanalysis is not a recognized name of area of science I'm familiar with.

3838 Comments. 192 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo