Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3906 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > On H+ in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
24. Re: On H+ in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 12, 2011, 18:20 Overon

And if you change the dna sequence or add artificial new markers then i would still argue that clones should never have the same rights, or indeed any rights. Cloning an already existing human is a crime, if not by law, then against nature.
No no no. Clone should have the same rights as everyone else. They have the same thoughts and feelings as everyone else. Why would you afford them no rights or less right? Imagine a scenario when someone is a clone and is walking around. You don't know they are a clone and then you suddenly find out they are a clone, all of their rights gets stripped away?

Human cloning is a crime in some places, but it's hardly a crime again nature. Something can hardly be a crime against nature if it is found in nature mostly among single celled organisms.

I don't think it would introduce another age of slavery, not if you afforded clones the same rights as everyone else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: On H+ in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 12, 2011, 09:06 Overon

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 02:17:
...in my opinion clones are not humans...
Wait wait wait. A clone is not human? Of course they are human. Identical twins are human and a human clone would be too. Both a clone and an identical twin share the same DNA. What's the difference? I guess the only difference I can think of is that a clone does not share the identical womb environment as identical twins.

5. Re: On H+ in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 11, 2011, 23:47 Overon

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 21:41:
The question transhumanism throws up though, is how long a human is considered a human.

If you replace your brain and eyes with super advanced, firewalled, networked, military grade armored hardware that is WAY beyond what the wet-ware we have now can do, then are you still human? Is a copied conscience still the "original" conscience? Or are you in essence duplicating humans and killing the original? (notice how this interlinks with cloning as well)

You are looking at it with to little farsight - it won't stop with arms and legs, it will go on with organs, after main organs it will move to skin, eyes, ears and brain. At what point is a human no longer human? Should humans be allowed to get eye replacements that have FLIR and heat vision? What about civilian IFF systems? What about digital-reality overlays?

I pre-ordered this game mainly because i too think that this is coming, it makes me all jiggly to think that Deus EX HR might even be the only real attempt to explore the depths of this topic properly outside of elitism infected science circles. And outside of maybe Ghost in the Shell.

What if in 30 years you sign a work contract that states "in the event of injury the company reserves the right to replace parts of you to keep you alive and in working condition" ? What if you come into an accident and your brain is damaged, does the company have now the right to replace your brain? (and more interestingly, who owns it?)

To be absolutely clear, i absolutely love this whole topic. I think DX HR deserves to be bought alone for even ATTEMPTING to explore transhumanism with proper depth, we'll see how that turns out soon enough. But fact is most politicians and scientists do not talk about this at all, maybe because the full tech is still a good 20 years away but in 20 years, when someone runs in the olympics who lost his legs with cybernetic legs and wins, then it'll start full force, and it'll be one hell of an interesting time.
I agree with everything you say except when you said "elitism infected science circles." I wish that this negative attitude about elitism would go away. When you go to war you want to have the most elite soldiers, the most elite equipment, the most elite leaders. When you are sick you want the most elite doctors. When you watch sports, you want to see the most elite athletes. When you are being flown you want the most elite pilots. Expertise is desirable and that's what the elite have, expertise and this is what you want as well.

1. Re: On H+ in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 11, 2011, 21:28 Overon

Transhumanism is coming. I think we will get better at implanting machines into bodies that are equal to or better than the parts that they replace.
And there will be a range of arguments. There will be the religious people who say we are playing god and that we are defiling humanity and it's all immoral.

I say hogwash. Imagine someone gets into an accident and loses and arm or a leg. They replace those with something equal to or better. You can't begrudge someone gaining back something they lost. If it's really better, there will be people who will want to replace their normally functioning body parts with something better.

In the end I really think that people have a right to control their own bodies and modify them in anyway they see fit.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
71. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:33 Overon

Bah I don't even like the Battlefield series.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2011, 19:50.

News Comments > Space Marine Co-op Coming Post-Release
1. Re: Space Marine Co-op Coming Post-Release Aug 9, 2011, 22:04 Overon

So sad, crippling features to discourage resale.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Delayed
11. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Delayed Aug 8, 2011, 16:14 Overon

This is a PC game exclusive. This isn't a "one and done" game where the only patches you get is in the form of paid DLC. This is a franchise title that will continue ongoing support for years after release just like Killing Floor. They will add content. When you buy this game, it's an investment. I hope people understand that. They said it themselves in various interviews and forum posts.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Delayed
4. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Delayed Aug 8, 2011, 11:51 Overon

A 2 week delay is nothing. There are too many games already. I preordered the game based on the beta and the fact that I'm a huge fan of Red Orchestra, Killing Floor and Tripwire Interactive.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2011, 12:51.

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
381. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 4, 2011, 16:22 Overon

Bard wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 15:57:
Teddy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 18:21:
Bush planned 9/11.

No he didn't. The zionists of PNAC did the plan, Cheney did the legwork, Israel supplied the manpower. Bush knew - he was 'shitting bricks' during his press conference - you only need to watch his expression during his upside-down my pet goat episode to realise something was up...

They used Mossad personnel through Mossad fixer Jack Abramoff. The front company Ace Elevator (the owner fled to Israel just prior to 9/11) planted the explosives during an elevator upgrade of the WTC buildings that a Freedom of Information Act request has just shown was never real (ie none of the legal paperwork that is required to get permission to do the upgrades was ever done).

The US military KNOWS Israel did it - and they're pissed. I'm waiting for them to hit back at Israel like they did after Israel attacked the USS Liberty and tried to drag the US into a war against Egypt.

http://tinyurl.com/3nev7v8

Yep - the truth is out there - just not being served up on a platter by CNN and Fox.
You make a lot of bold assertions. These bold assertions require equally bold evidence to support them. Without this support you become just another crank.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Epic on PC Gaming
2. Re: Quoteworthy - Epic on PC Gaming Aug 3, 2011, 21:30 Overon

Self serving bullshit. Talk all you want but when you release console exclusive content, statements like the above ring a bit hollow. And now that you can't just release a piece of shit game on consoles and expect it to do well, everyone is eying the PC again for the very reasons that Dades said.

People are paying 99 cents for mobile games. The 3ds has to have a price drop because people equate the 3ds with mobile games and few people are willing to pay 40 bucks for 3ds games and the hardware itself drops in price from $250 to $170 (US dollars).

News Comments > On Steam and Direct3D
48. Re: On Steam and Direct3D Aug 3, 2011, 17:24 Overon

Anecdotes are not a reliable form of evidence.  

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Pre-Purchase Discounts & Bonuses
9. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Pre-Purchase Discounts & Bonuses Aug 2, 2011, 18:01 Overon

Kosumo wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 17:36:
Overon wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 17:33:
Pre-ordering games is for rubes unless you played the beta and/or you know you are going to buy it anyway so you might as well get the extras.
Damnit Kosumo it is not irrational to preorder a game that you are going to buy anyway. So rather than paying full price, you might as well get a discount and extras that YOU WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN OTHERWISE IF YOU DID NOT PREORDER.

7. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Pre-Purchase Discounts & Bonuses Aug 2, 2011, 17:34 Overon

DangerDog wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 17:16:
They've mentioned that there will be a closed beta and that they will be handing out keys to game sites to give away.

I'll be picking it up, just hope the player numbers don't dwindle away to nothing like they did with Homefront and Brink. I'm sure they'll take a massive hit when Battlefield 3 is released.
I don't agree about the massive hit. RO2 is about realism, Battlefield 3 is not so much. But there probably will be a hit. There is a group of people in the RO community that would not be caught dead playing the cods or battlefields of the world so you will always find games for RO2, just as now you can find games of RO1.

6. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Pre-Purchase Discounts & Bonuses Aug 2, 2011, 17:33 Overon

Pre-ordering games is for rubes unless you played the beta and/or you know you are going to buy it anyway so you might as well get the extras.  

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
260. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:48 Overon

This thread makes me wonder: What are the top threads in Bluesnews history?  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence
4. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 30, 2011, 19:25 Overon

One thing that Carmack is wrong about is the cathartic effect. He's got to pick up a more recent book on violence and realize that the "steam boiler" effect he refers to when he says cathartic, is a myth that's been discredited. But that does not mean that violent video games increase violence in real life. They are simply on balance, neutral.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer
21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 09:50 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 21:09:
Stealth was a bit too easy in the leaked press build. Enemies always appeared on your radar as long as they were within range. You didn't need line of sight or sound. Enemies also had very narrow vision cones and no vertical detection of sound.
Stealth was too easy in the press build. I went the pure stealth non lethal route and I quickly realized the detection limitations of the AI that you mentioned. I doubt they fixed this but I think the plot implications and world is intriguing.

News Comments > John Carmack Excited About Gaming and RAGE 2
27. Re: John Carmack Excited About Gaming and RAGE 2 Jul 28, 2011, 18:59 Overon

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 18:12:
Overon wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 20:26:
It's hard to discover people's motives. But some might accuse John of being "excited about gaming" as self serving hype for an about to be released game that probably has a lot of jobs and id existence riding on it.

Carmack literally has "Fuck You" money. He's rich enough to have a hobby of launching rockets into space. Somehow I doubt he's worried about Rage not selling enough and him not being able to put food on the table.

Creston
But id is not just John Carmack, there are other people there. Honestly id has been totally irrelevant for years now. They have still not been able to make a story driven FPS. And their days of success with making the engines that empowered other developers in making story driven FPS have gone down away as well. What will happen to id and all those people who don't launch rockets into space if this game does not do well?

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Reference Drivers
3. Re: NVIDIA Beta Reference Drivers Jul 28, 2011, 14:23 Overon

Not to be outdone by AMD, Nvidia releases beta drivers after AMD releases theirs yesterday.

But then again I could be wrong and I may be wrong about their motivations.

News Comments > Space Marine Release Date, Cinematic
8. Re: Space Marine Release Date, Cinematic Jul 27, 2011, 20:33 Overon

In some of the narraged videos I have seen on gametrailers, they have some marketing type spouting on about how Space Marines don't use cover. What a load of shit. This person has never read a 40K book. Space Marines in the fiction, which this game is based on, use cover and ALMOST EVERYONE OF THEM WEARS THEIR FUCKING HELMET.

Nerd-rage over.

3906 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo