Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3870 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
112. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 17:33 Overon

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 17:26:
Overon wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 17:22:
I did as I said, and every game I tried on steam worked. I call bullshit on anyone who says otherwise.

I have had games tell me before they can't launch in offline mode. I know the original Portal was one, because I tried to play it on vacation in a hotel without internet.

I think they have improved offline mode over time though, and when I moved recently I had no trouble playing anything offline from Steam. My biggest issue with Steam remains the inability to roll back patches.
Just because something didn't work for you in the past, does not mean it won't work for you now, especially if it's software, since software changes over time. Steam used to have few features and now it has more features. If you tried steam 5 years ago and thought sucked, it would be silly to say that it still sucks based on your impressions from 5 years ago. In that 5 year time span, a lot of things improved like offline mode. Software, like life on Earth, changes and adapts, it evolves.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

107. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 17:22 Overon

Overon wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 16:25:
Dev wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 16:15:
Dades wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:41:
But the geniuses at Valve, in their infinite wisdom, require that you enter offline mode while being online, so I was locked out of all my games. Why the fuck would I ever pay full price for service like that?

If you wait for the connection to the time out then it automatically enters offline mode. This is never explained of course because Steam's UI and documentation was drawn up by five year olds.
BTW, this is easy enough to test. Unplug network cable and run steam. See if you can play your games offline that way. In most cases you should be able to play offline WITHOUT being online to set the mode.
I want to test this. Currently my steam is set to online mode. I will disconnect my network cable, then turn on my PC, launch steam and try a few of my games and report my results here.
I did as I said, and every game I tried on steam worked. I have steam set for automatic login. I simply removed the network cable, turned on my computer, and then ran steam. Steam said it went to offline mode and I tried TF2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and Hydrophobia Prophecy. I could start each game and actually load into gameplay. So I didn't bother trying other games I have.

I did as I said, and every game I tried on steam worked. I call bullshit on anyone who says otherwise.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2011, 17:34.

100. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 16:25 Overon

Dev wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 16:15:
Dades wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:41:
But the geniuses at Valve, in their infinite wisdom, require that you enter offline mode while being online, so I was locked out of all my games. Why the fuck would I ever pay full price for service like that?

If you wait for the connection to the time out then it automatically enters offline mode. This is never explained of course because Steam's UI and documentation was drawn up by five year olds.
BTW, this is easy enough to test. Unplug network cable and run steam. See if you can play your games offline that way. In most cases you should be able to play offline WITHOUT being online to set the mode.
I want to test this. Currently my steam is set to online mode. I will disconnect my network cable, then turn on my PC, launch steam and try a few of my games and report my results here.

99. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 16:22 Overon

Bhruic wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 16:14:
Weird. I want BF3 to be on Steam. But I understand that that's for my convenience. Acting as if EA has done something wrong because they haven't made things convenient for you seems quite strange. It's not like you are being forced to use a specific other digital distribution system, you still have numerous choices.

Want to buy L4D2? Well, you're out of luck if you want to use something other than Steam. How about HL2? Same thing. In fact, while it's possible I'm missing one, I can't think of a single modern game from Valve that was released on other digital distribution systems. And EA are the bad ones?

Look, I like Steam. I was a reluctant convert, but it's got a lot of nice features, and as I said, it's convenient. But that doesn't change the fact that Valve (and others) have been shoving it down our throats for years. There are numerous examples of non-Valve games that also forced Steam, even if you bought the retail copy.

So please, stop white-knighting Valve on this one.
So true, I'm glad that there is someone where who can think critically and use their reason.
All Valve games... where can I buy them without using Steam? Oh that's right I can't. Here comes EA and there is some SPECULATION that BF3 won't be available on Steam but will be available on all the other download services including their own Origin service. Grab the pitchforks!

The double standard and hypocrisy are ugly ugly things.

Disclaimer: Every game I own except for Witcher 2, I bought from Steam. I wish that BF3 was available on Steam.

94. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 15:56 Overon

It's time for someone to introduce some critical thinking and reason into the conversation.

We know that EA's Crysis 2 was removed from Steam while there are other older EA titles still on Steam. EA says:
"Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service -- many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam."
Source http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176517p1.html
I haven't seen Valve dispute this, please post evidence to the contrary. I think it's reasonable to assume that Valve's silence on the EA statement implies agreement.

Can you blame EA for wanting to create their own service for their own games? It's a smart revenue driven decision. Can you blame Valve for imposing the DLC requirements for their service? It's a smart revenue driven decision. None of the decisions are consumer friendly. They are not doing what's best for the consumer. They both made decisions that are anti-consumer. If all the other download services don't impose the same Valve DLC rules, then that would explain why BF3 is not going to be on Steam. Does it not?

Maybe Valve can change their DLC policy and we can see what EA does. Now that would be fun to see.

By the way, let's be 100% sure that BF3 is not going to be on Steam, from a more reliable source, say the company that is publishing it, EA.

Disclosure: All my games I have are all on Steam, except for Witcher 2 which was purchased through GOG.com

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2011, 16:10.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 18, 2011, 14:21 Overon

The research methodology was weak. Self reported surveys like this are weak and showing correlation is not causation. They should link to the actual study. I don't think highly of a journalist's ability to read a scientific paper and report on it.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
21. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 17, 2011, 22:05 Overon

I love it how pea-brained marketing types are trying to comment on future hardware capabilities and over do the hyperbole.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Free DLC Plans
7. Re: The Witcher 2 Free DLC Plans Jul 17, 2011, 21:59 Overon

Yeah this was posted days ago, I thought I saw it on twitter first. Anyway thanks for the mods posted for witcher 2, I will try them out but only after the patch is posted and some of the mods are reworked for the patch.  

News Comments > Steam Download Changes
18. Re: Steam Download Changes Jul 16, 2011, 10:22 Overon

CreamyBlood wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 04:42:
I luv big werds.

'content system', 'streamline publishing process', 'aggregate bandwidth', 'web-caching proxies', 'content', 'painful', 'much smaller'.

My favourite is: 'satisfy spikes in demand when there's a big release.'

Seriously, who writes this shit?
At least the 'updates will be much smaller overall'.

For fucks sake.

'Da red 'uns go fasta!

News Comments > Metacritic Dropped "Corrupt" Site
5. Re: Metacritic Dropped Jul 16, 2011, 10:12 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 05:45:
As always, I find the best alternative is to just play the game yourself.
And if you want to do it legally, then that's a lot of wasted money unless there are demos.

News Comments > Steam Download Changes
16. Re: Steam Download Changes Jul 16, 2011, 10:11 Overon

Byte delta patching. Now you only download what has changed in the file that you have, not the entire file all over again. That means smaller downloads. When Witcher 2 patches were released via steam, people had to almost redownload the whole game because witcher 2 has a few very large files.  

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Trailer
11. Re: Metro: Last Light Trailer Jul 14, 2011, 14:08 Overon

I really liked it original 2033.  

News Comments > Hard Reset Announced
14. Re: Hard Reset Announced Jul 14, 2011, 10:04 Overon

I can understand some guarded optimism. But some of you are displaying a comnpletely irrational exuberance that's not justified by what you know about the game, which is next to nothing.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

News Comments > Gratuitous Tank Battles Announced
23. Re: Gratuitous Tank Battles Announced Jul 13, 2011, 15:23 Overon

KilrathiAce wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 12:19:
Overon wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 10:23:
I don't understand where this anomosity for Cliffski and Positech Games is coming from. I'm puzzled.

Simple, people see word "Cliffski" and they instantly see HATE because they think its Cliffy B.... lol
LoL that could be the problem.

News Comments > Gratuitous Tank Battles Announced
21. Re: Gratuitous Tank Battles Announced Jul 13, 2011, 10:23 Overon

I don't understand where this anomosity for Cliffski and Positech Games is coming from. I'm puzzled.  

News Comments > L4D2 DLC This Month
11. Re: L4D2 DLC This Month Jul 12, 2011, 11:46 Overon

I played the storm train part on easy difficulty and the infected DID stop coming. Also the water current makes you go over the edge, and it is IMPOSSIBLE currently to resuce the person who is hanging on before they fall. When you approach it and try to save them you fall over as well because of the current.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Planned
27. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Planned Jul 11, 2011, 14:28 Overon

When a developer posts on twitter about a demo, you have to ask whether they mean PC, you know they mean consoles, but you don't know if that also includes the PC.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2011, 13:56 Overon

That comic is perfect. Nvidia care about having something proprietary that distinguishes their card from their competition.  

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
36. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 11, 2011, 09:54 Overon

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 09:05:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 01:30:
I really don't understand why devs can't make a good Tribes sequel. Yes, I know they want to appeal to a broader audience but that doesn't mean they have to change or remove things that people liked in the previous games. Nobody asked for a two-weapon limit. Nobody asked for a limited, predefined loadout system. Nobody asked for unlockables and grinding. Nobody asked for a sniper rifle that uses ammo instead of energy. Nobody asked for a pistol.

If you want to make an accessible Tribes game, provide extensive and enjoyable tutorials that novices and veterans can both use. Skiing challenges, midair disc challenges, sniping challenges, flag passing challenges, etc. Activities that would help newbies learn the basics while helping veterans hone their skills.

Agreed. Tribes 1 was simple (graphically) and had tutorials for everything. It was great! The very essence of the original Tribes is lost forever.
Grinding in Tribes?? That sounds stupid to me. The problem that I see with game development today is that the suits have gotten too involved and want to cash in on the classics that we all loved. It's like the current trend of remaking the older movies and 99% of them turn out to be trash (Example: Clash of The Titans). I'm so tired of all the greed involved in gaming and every other aspect of American life. I wish all these greedy suits would just die already. Our entire planet is shaped by greed and I for one am tired of it. We can't even watch a television show without a commercial break every 8 minutes. Who the hell needs a break after only 8 minutes? Someone should create a nasty virus that only targets greedy people. The world would be a better place without these douchebags. Games used to be about fun. Now it's about quarterly earnings.
OldScho0l you have a ronanticized view of history that never was. Money is the prirmary motivator for game creation, always has been. Artistic and creative aspects are secondary, since everyone needs to pay the bills and pay to support their lifestyle. Greed is an aspect of human nature. Greed is something that made us a successful species on this planet. You can't fight human nature. You will inevitably fail as has been shown countless times throughout history. Al you can do is understand human greed and accept it and try to guide it for non destructive purposes. You can restrain its worst abuses.

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
35. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 11, 2011, 09:48 Overon

There is one positive that everyone agrees on:
At least there will be a demo, since it free to play\pay to win.

3870 Comments. 194 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo