Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3934 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Delayed Until Next Year; Closed Beta Nears
23. Re: Tribes: Ascend Delayed Until Next Year; Closed Beta Nears Sep 16, 2011, 11:09 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 03:38:
StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 13:37:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:15:
Anyway, T:A looks pretty bad. They're trying to add a bunch of modern elements (health regen, classes, two-weapon limits, hitscan weapons, unlockables) that really are not exactly like previous Tribes game.

Fixed that for you.

No, not really. I don't have a problem with change in and of itself. I do have a problem with change that undermines the things I enjoyed most about the previous Tribes games. So far, every single change in T:A has done this.

If you're arguing that the freeform loadout system isn't an integral part of the Tribes experience, I'm guessing you didn't play much of any Tribes game. The fact that T:A forces you to unlock predefined loadouts individually is problematic for so many reasons. High-level players will have access to more loadouts, giving them the ability to choose the best loadout for any given situation. Conversely, low-level players will have a very limited set of options, forcing them to rely on loadouts that are often not ideal. The other changes in T:A also have a significant impact on the gameplay experience. Health regen will make defense significantly easier, as LD and HoF will never need to leave their posts to get health kits and they'll quickly recover from any attacks. Switching to ammo instead of energy consumption for the sniper rifle will have the same effect, as snipers will have a much faster rate of fire and be able to snipe without sacrificing mobility. In essence, the sniper rifle will be turned into a railgun. The addition of pistols, SMGs, assault rifles and shotguns will have a significant impact on the combat experience as well. Hitscan weapons are best suited to cover-based combat. They are not well-suited to combat in open areas where players move with relatively predictable trajectories and there's little to no cover. Because the hitscan projectiles are basically instantaneous, you cannot dodge them and hitscan weapons will quickly become the most effective weapons in most fights. Many people already feel that the chaingun was overpowered in the previous Tribes games and the hitscan weapons in T:A look to be even more unbalanced.

The only logical reason why HiRez would make such significant changes is that they want to appeal to the CoD demographic. No Tribes fan ever asked for predefined loadouts, two-weapon limits, health regen, ammo-based sniping, unlockables or a complete set of hitscan weapons. Conversely, CoD players expect these things. Coincidence? I think not.
Jerykk I agree with everything you said. But you need to define what you mean by "CoD demographic" because you seem to be using it a perjorative term.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age II Mark of the Assassin DLC Next Month
1. Re: Dragon Age II Mark of the Assassin DLC Next Month Sep 16, 2011, 11:03 Overon

I think Dragon Age 2 is inferior in almost everyway to the kind of RPG's I like. But who cares about one person's opinion.  

News Comments > Diablo III Lag-Free?
26. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 13:15 Overon

And for their next feet, Blizzard will part the red sea and walk on water and then turn the water into wine. Please. I'm skeptical. This is highly implausible. Ideas like this have been discussed and attempted in the past and there are serious compromises and shortcoming of approaches like this... Show me the evidence. The weight of the evidence will convince me that what is being said is actually true.  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Delayed Until Next Year; Closed Beta Nears
12. Re: Tribes: Ascend Delayed Until Next Year; Closed Beta Nears Sep 14, 2011, 13:13 Overon

I have some issues with the loadouts and microtransactions.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback
17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback Sep 13, 2011, 22:57 Overon

Well I kind of liked the demo. A little nostalgia is okay. I played it on the highest difficulty level and those little machine bastards made me sweat.

And they are actually taking feedback and modifying the game? Wow remember those days when a demo comes out, feedback is given, and the developers go and make changes? That's great.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: the Cartel
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: the Cartel Sep 13, 2011, 22:43 Overon

You would think that this game is the shovelware based off a movie franchise.  

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Preloads
30. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 10:05 Overon

Zanthar wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 09:50:
The only way a FPS can be realistic is if you play it while another person stands over you with a loaded gun and shoots you when you get shot in the game. I encourage all of you to try it.
You are making a falacious argument. You ignore the fact that a game's realism falls on a spectrum. It's not either 100% realistic ("another person stands over you with a loaded gun and shoots you when you get shot in the game) or 0% realistic, there is a whole range in between that you are ignoring.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Preloads
15. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 06:55 Overon

Suggestion for Valve:
Take the money you would use to buy yet another private island, and invest it in more bandwidth capacity.

News Comments > Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public
95. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 20:08 Overon

I like feminists and I like feminism. Also belittling women and having a misogynistic attitude does not ingratiate you at all.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 PC Wish List Request
17. Re: Borderlands 2 PC Wish List Request Sep 7, 2011, 22:29 Overon

Wow they are going to properly support PC customers for Borderlands 2? So they are doing a 180 from Borderland 1, isn't that nice of them.  

News Comments > Dead Island "Make Up" Promised
10. Re: Dead Island Sep 7, 2011, 22:24 Overon

Look at that first day patches, they read like a beta. It's nice to see another quality PC console port. <scarcasm>  

News Comments > Dead Island Patched
23. Re: Dead Island Patched Sep 7, 2011, 07:02 Overon

Even if you are a zombie fan, don't buy it at full price. It's not polished and is even less polished for PC. Read the reviews, metacritic is showing low 70 currently. With better game out there, wait for a sale if you must buy this.  

News Comments > RAGE Specs
33. Re: RAGE Specs Sep 7, 2011, 06:51 Overon

Prove me wrong about the potential consolitis id. I want to be wrong. But if i see "press start to begin" or "press x to access inventory" and a low fov and no 16:10 proper widescreen support, I will rage.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Free/Double XP Weekend
4. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Free/Double XP Weekend Sep 2, 2011, 15:37 Overon

I tried to see why so many people love this game? I didn't like it. Everything was in high speed and everyone looked like an energiser bunny on crank. Also the the laggy play, it felt like it was peer to peer. I like a PC style first person shooter, not a console style one.  

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Beta Adds Maps and Deluxe Upgrade for Access
3. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Beta Adds Maps and Deluxe Upgrade for Access Sep 2, 2011, 15:32 Overon

I love Tripwire and I love Red Orchestra 2. There are bugs, but they know how to fix them.  

News Comments > No Shooting Civilians in Battlefield 3
64. Re: No Shooting Civilians in Battlefield 3 Sep 1, 2011, 00:05 Overon

shponglefan wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 21:20:
Overon wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 15:30:
So much for a realistic game.

What realism? The run-and-gun style gameplay? The Michael Bay-esque explosions? The taking multiple bullet hits and pretending nothing happened?

BF3 is to realistic wargames what Micahel Bay's Transformers is to realistic war movies.
Good points.

News Comments > No Shooting Civilians in Battlefield 3
43. Re: No Shooting Civilians in Battlefield 3 Aug 31, 2011, 15:30 Overon

“In a game where it’s more authentic, when you have a gun in your hand and a child in front of you what would happen? Well the player would probably shoot that child.”
The player COULD shoot that child. Wouldn't it be more mature to have in game consequences for shooting civillians? Say you are haunted by it thoughout the game when you kill civillians or you get repremanded by your superiors for it? Or you create people who want revenge. Get put on trial for war crimes etc? Those are far more mature ways to handle it, all you need to do is create some consequences and you have a much more mature game.

I don’t want to see videos on the internet where people shoot civilians
Yeah are you living under a rock? Why do you think so many civilians die in wars? It's because the combatants SHOOT them. Look at Afghanistan and Iraq, we kill civilians and to sanitize that from a game that is supposedly based on "modern" warfare is whitewash that ignores reality. So much for a realistic game.

Importantly, “That doesn’t mean that I don’t want people to feel that war is not good,… We are trying to do something that is more mature. Mature not being gore –some people confuse the two. That’s childish actually, to want more blood.”
Yes, because depicting a non sanitized version of war is something that must be avoided at all costs. You don't want people to feel thta war is not good? Well that may be why you want to portray war in such a sanitized manor.

He should have been honest and said "We are afraid of negative publicity and that is why we aren't allowing civillians to be shot." Not the bullshit quoted.

News Comments > Uncut RAGE for Germany, DOOM and DOOM II No Longer Indexed
4. Re: Uncut RAGE for Germany, DOOM and DOOM II No Longer Indexed Aug 31, 2011, 14:51 Overon

I have a passing familiarity with the strict German anti human violence in video game laws. How exactly did they accomplish this? Did germany's definition change or did they have to censor something? They claim they didn't censor so the definition changed? I want to know the details!  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL
22. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 16:18 Overon

How can there be such contradictory information from people who should know?

News Comments > Fifth Deus Ex: Human Revolution Clue [Updated]
1. Re: Fifth Deus Ex: Human Revolution Clue Aug 30, 2011, 16:16 Overon

Is there a cryptographer in the house? Is there any kind of cryptography used in the game that would give us the key to decoding this?  

3934 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo