Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3870 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 17:57 Overon

Bring on more women!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
26. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Mar 28, 2014, 17:56 Overon

Graphics downgrade shows. Doesn't look anywhere as pretty as what was shown in previous trailers. But as I said then "Don't trust tech demos and trailers. Wait to see what it looks like when it ships." Look at the Dark Souls 2 lighting and texture downgrade. Let's learn a lesson from this.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer
15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Betrayer Mar 24, 2014, 17:53 Overon

I hope it's good.  

News Comments > EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week
5. Re: EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week Mar 22, 2014, 15:04 Overon

Yes that is what I was thinking of.  

News Comments > EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week
1. Re: EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week Mar 22, 2014, 14:31 Overon

Is this now the longest running MMORPG?  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2014, 17:53 Overon

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:35:
And a lot of them do like it because that's what men are. What are we supposed to play like? Girls? I'm sick of this gender-norming crap. Yes, we share commonalities but there are also very distinct differences between the genders as well and that's as it should be. Remember that TNG episode on that gender-neutral planet? That was just fucking creepy. Say what you like, I like my chicks hot and my beer cold. And while I'm pretty progressive but I like to kick-back and get my cro-magnon on too, have a few drinks, eat a huge bloody steak and watch some John Wayne flicks. Is that ok? Do you mind?
Why do you feel so threatened? Humans have all kinds of values and desires. Some may not like the things you just listed. The same question can be asked of you "Is that ok? Do you mind?"

News Comments > Galactic Command Echo Squad SE Demo
12. Re: Galactic Command Echo Squad SE Demo Mar 16, 2014, 23:29 Overon

harlock wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 22:48:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 18:22:
Yeah he's got a history, but if ya look at his posting history on Blues, he's been rather insightful into other things beyond his own software,

like suing forum posters for defamation?
I think maybe Derek Smart has mellowed out.

News Comments > Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters
24. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 11:56 Overon

Isn't this game heavily peer to peer or at least client side determines events. That would go a long way of explaining cheating.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 12, 2014, 00:38 Overon

Man has lost credibility.  

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
39. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 12:51 Overon

I will seek opinions and videos that don't seem so linear to counter any of my biases.  

37. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 03:23:
Overon wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:12:
Okay you win on the bad A.I. point, kind of. Over a decade later and the A.I. of Thief 2014 is on par with the A.I. of Thief 1 and Thief 2.

But you ignored my second point about the level design. I even included a picture. Are you denying that's how the game plays as depicted in that that picture?

Yes. That map was obviously drawn by someone who only watched a playthrough video and didn't actually play the level. There are actually three different ways to get to the jewelry shop and multiple entrances to said shop. The shop itself is three floors with multiple rooms. And that's the smallest level in the game. The level I just beat had branching paths leading to a mansion, which was a huge building with four floors and about 20 rooms. I could do without the linear escapes but really, those comprise maybe 10% of the full mission. You'll spend the vast majority of the mission in the big, complex, open-ended area, just like in the previous games.

Most of the main story levels are designed like that. Branching paths leading to a big, complex, open-ended area, and ending with a brief, linear escape. Side missions skip the intro and escape and just go straight to the open-ended areas where you just have to steal stuff and then return to the starting point.

It's easy to look back at the previous games and remark how large the levels were but it's important to remember how sparse those levels were too. Sure, the maps were big and open-ended but there was a lot of empty space without anything of interest. The levels in THIEF are far more detailed, both in terms of visuals and interactivity. There are more things to steal and more ways to manipulate the environment. As a whole, the environments in THIEF are far more interesting than the ones in the previous games.

As I said before, you need to actually play a game before passing judgment on it, especially when that judgment is based on opinions from other sources. You can't watch a video and then presume to know the entirety of a game's level design or AI. That's like reviewing a movie based on a trailer or a novel based on the first few pages.
I understand your points but I repeat my point, you don't need to play the game to have reliable information on it.

33. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 01:12 Overon

Okay you win on the bad A.I. point, kind of. Over a decade later and the A.I. of Thief 2014 is on par with the A.I. of Thief 1 and Thief 2.

But you ignored my second point about the level design. I even included a picture. Are you denying that's how the game plays as depicted in that that picture?

27. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 14:15 Overon

I can tell you that situation as shown in the video was not possible in Thief 1 and Thief 2, you know, more than a decade ago.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 01:09.

26. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 14:13 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:28:
Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:00:
This patch cannot fix the terrible AI and the terribly linear level design.

Have you actually played the game or are you just repeating what the reviews say? Because most of the game is pretty open-ended, with branching paths and secret areas abound. There are occasional setpieces which are very much linear but these are not representative of the game as a whole. Of the 40+ hours I've put into the game, maybe 1 hour of that was spent in linear sequences.

As for AI, yes, it has occasional pathfinding and dialogue issues but by stealth game standards, it's pretty decent. Guards not only react to sight and sound but they notice changes in the environment as well, like doors and safes left open. Bugs aside, the AI is better than it was in the previous games.
I have seen playthrough videos on youtube. The days of having to play a game or read reviews to know something about it are long gone. I can speak intelligently about a game without having had played it. Saves me money and buyer's remorse.

Tell me that this picture is not representative of the game:
http://imageshack.com/a/img837/4504/ksb5.png

19. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 05:00 Overon

This patch cannot fix the terrible AI and the terribly linear level design.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
37. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 8, 2014, 23:06 Overon

mag wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 22:35:
Overon wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 20:25:
I'm looking at the graphics in this game and I don't see much of a difference between dark souls 1 and dark souls 2. Then I watch the playthroughs and it plays like dark souls 1. Is there anything new in this game besides a different location and different enemies?

New story, new enemies, new location, new weapons, tweaks to the combat mechanics, tweaks to the multiplayer mechanics, tweaks to the spell mechanics... what do you want from a sequel?
Innovation!

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
26. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 20:25 Overon

I'm looking at the graphics in this game and I don't see much of a difference between dark souls 1 and dark souls 2. Then I watch the playthroughs and it plays like dark souls 1. Is there anything new in this game besides a different location and different enemies?  

News Comments > PC Dark Souls II Next Month
20. Re: PC Dark Souls II Next Month Mar 7, 2014, 07:09 Overon

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 00:05:
Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 22:27:
Tom wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 21:14:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 20:09:
The savings and enjoyment I get out of a $39/year vpn service has paid itself over so many times it's baffling others complain and don't join in.

Yes, why people would ever want to avoid committing fraud is baffling indeed.

How is it fraud? The net is global. What it is is immoral...regional pricing that is.
Regional pricing is immoral?

I was going to ask further about medicine, but then I remembered that you think most sick people should die because that's how it works in the wild.
Naturalistic fallacy. Just because it is found in nature doesn't mean it's good. Just because it is not found in nature doesn't mean it's bad.

Also if one thing is wrong and you do another thing that is wrong, that doesn't make any of them right. Two wrongs add up somehow into a something right.

Having said that I don't think regional pricing is wrong. I think it's amoral, it has no moral status at all. The same thing with using vpn to get around regional pricing. And if one or both are immoral, then they are pretty small wrongs I can live with.

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Layoffs
18. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 23:38 Overon

MajorD wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 20:37:
Overon wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:49:
Rattlehead wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:20:
Pretty standard practice to lay off most of the staff after a project has been shipped, and even more common when reviews are not up to par. This is why the gaming industry can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.
If that's the case they should lay off the people whose direction resulted in the sub par reviews game. Not the people implementing their will. But that doesn't happen as often as it should.

Fixed that for you.

I accept your fix

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Layoffs
8. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 18:49 Overon

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:20:
Pretty standard practice to lay off most of the staff after a project has been shipped, and even more common when reviews are not up to par. This is why the gaming industry can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.
If that's the case they should lay off the people whose direction resulted in the sub par reviews. Not the people implementing their will. But that doesn't happen as often as it should.

3870 Comments. 194 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo