Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3839 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evolve Teases Tuesday Reveal
2. Re: Evolve Teases Tuesday Reveal Feb 9, 2014, 16:36 Overon

Where is the substance?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Adds Mantle Support
16. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Adds Mantle Support Feb 2, 2014, 23:54 Overon

I understand that the star swarm stress test demo has variability but I ran it once using direct x and I got a 19 fps average. I ran it again with mantle and I got 38 fps average.

I have a 7950.

So looks like the ancient days of 3dfx and their Glide API are back, now AMD has Mantle API. Hey if somehow Steam/Valve and Mantle can get us off the Microsoft OS's and onto Linux/Steam OS, I will be happy.

News Comments > Star Swarm Demo
6. Re: Star Swarm Demo Jan 30, 2014, 18:38 Overon

So they say that this is a benchmark when they say the playback is "not deterministic" which means that it's not very good as a benchmark.  

News Comments > Thief Previews; Videos
29. Re: Thief Previews; Videos Jan 26, 2014, 16:02 Overon

Wow I watched some previews and how you can turn off a lot of the consolitis gui and focus mechanic, and was I wrong? Is this actually worthy of being a PC game?  

News Comments > EA Paying for YouTube Love
26. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 17:20 Overon

Schills are everywhere. The only problem is figuring out who they are so we can avoid their content if they don't admit to it.  

News Comments > Metacritic Analysis
15. Re: Metacritic Analysis Jan 20, 2014, 17:17 Overon

Watch gameplay videos and read negative comments (if the forums don't remove them).  

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
1. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 14:46 Overon

I'm afraid this will be a shitty console port because, from the videos I can already see the consolitis elements. I hope to be proven wrong.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2014, 15:03.

News Comments > "Stunning" Nitrous Engine Impressions
34. Re: Jan 9, 2014, 22:30 Overon

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 18:13:
Overon wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 17:26:
Hold on are we getting excited over a tech demo that we haven't seen but only heard described by a 3rd party?

You can watch it here. It's pretty impressive actually.
Okay I take my point back about 3rd party description but we should still temper our enthusiasm because of the tech demo shenanigans so common in the industry.

News Comments > "Stunning" Nitrous Engine Impressions
32. Re: Jan 9, 2014, 17:26 Overon

Hold on are we getting excited over a tech demo that we haven't seen but only heard described by a 3rd party?  

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
71. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 11:03 Overon

Well someones or some groups can certainly ddos well. Look at this guy's plight
here
He got pizza orders, constant phone calls, got swatted, got multiple non swat visits from police as well and every game he streamed got taken down in sequence.

News Comments > Deadpool Game Disappearance
13. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 19:55 Overon

I wish the game was pulled to hide their shame. But alas it was probably pulled because of some licensing stuff. Not even with the mighty Marvel license did they make the expected return?  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
26. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 25, 2013, 20:00 Overon

Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 19:36:
Wasn't someone arguing with me during the SimCity debacle that steam.never has unplanned downtime?

contrary to what some here say, building capacity to fluke peaks is idiotic.
Yeah it may be idiotic if you build capacity permanently but it's not idiotic if it's only temporary capacity.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
5. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 25, 2013, 16:16 Overon

Why can't valve anticipate that when they do something like this their website store goes down due to load. Why not throw some extra capacity at the problem to prevent it from happening? Now people can't access the site to buy games.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2013, 17:01.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Updated Demo
8. Re: Age of Decadence Updated Demo Dec 22, 2013, 15:27 Overon

This game is been in development for 10 years now?  

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Dec 18, 2013, 18:20 Overon

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:59:
Right now, most map locations don't open up until the plot has advanced sufficiently, which means that roaming the world in search of adventure just doesn't really exist, and this also diminishes the importance of world map travel.

It would really be nice if reviewers would bother TO READ THE FUCKING ANNOUNCEMENTS THAT GO WITH A BETA.

From the update regarding the beta:

Scope

Because this beta doesn’t include all the Arizona maps, this portion of the game will feel a bit more linear than the full experience will, particularly with the first maps being narrower locations rather than proper hubs. The final game will have a more open feel where you can poke around and check the defenses of higher level areas and perhaps snatch an item or two. So fear not, as there will be more strange areas to discover in the final, and we will be dropping more in throughout this beta phase. In addition, we’ll be adding more quests to each map as well

So yes, Gamebanshee. That's because IT'S A BETA.
We got to be careful of using "it's a beta" to whitewash problems. I think people are too quick to call it a beta and dismiss any complains even if the complaints are deeply systemic and unlikely to be addressed before the game ships. Can't wait to see if this is going to be the case in the full version.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2013, 18:31.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
2. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 14, 2013, 11:23 Overon

Oh this game has now developed a sordid history that can now be written into novel length.

It is a mech buying and customizing death match simulator. All the promised metagame features are still missing in action.
It's not just the $500 mechs it's that they are being delivered in June of 2014, more than 6 months from now. The business model is selling mechs. Also no word about this "most exclusive and treasured of Clan Technologies" are and how it will impact the death match balance of the game." The game has virtually made no progress since they started selling the Phoenix Pack and now this.

This about sums up the state of the game.

http://i.imgur.com/P136CJY.png

P.S. The clan omnimechs don't have hard points. But they do MWO because if they didn't they couldn't sell variants. So these omnimechs have hardpoints so that variants can be sold. Can't have only one MadCat to sell when you can have the prime, 2 variants, and the gold plated "khan collection" version.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2013, 11:43.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced
21. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced Dec 2, 2013, 17:34 Overon

Games Workshop licenses their stuff to the highest bidder to make crappy dinky games instead of the epic high budget grand production values that the license deserves. Another crappy title that is going to riding it's license to profitability.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
11. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 12:05 Overon

Technically he is probably correct. But I can't shake the suspicion that this talk is self serving given how nvidia hardware is not in the ps4 and xbox one. The hardware was in the previous generation of console hardware and we didn't hear nvidia say that then. Hypocrisy sure but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2013, 12:13.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 26, 2013, 11:02 Overon

I have heard people record their conversations with the fake tech support people and they were egging them on for a while pretending that they were gullible. Quite funny really but imagine all those people who were actual victims.  

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
32. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 22, 2013, 23:13 Overon

I give John Carmack lots of props for his historical legacy. His programming skill birthed and popularized first person shooters. I hope the best for him. His career has seemingly been all roses until the technical issues with RAGE. John's RAGE implementation of virtual texturing aka "megatexturing" doesn't run so well on AMD hardware and the PS3 and the close up texture quality was better in games years older. That to me is the ONLY black mark on Carmack's otherwise glorious record. I hope the best for him and that occulus rift kicks ass and once again Carmack will be on the forefront of cutting edge technology and hopefully will bring virtual gaming to the masses.

This is a huge blow to id and it may not be an exaggeration to say that id is now a shadow of its former self. Prove me wrong id!

3839 Comments. 192 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo