Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 4057 (Master)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade
21. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade May 7, 2015, 19:50 Overon

Actually asteroid fields are very easy to navigate. If you were standing on one asteroid looking out you would not even see any other asteroids near you. They are further apart than what you see in movies.

I hope the save games are compatible because I stopped playing after getting to the second half of the game just because I heard about the new patch.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Reveal Next Week
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Reveal Next Week May 7, 2015, 18:54 Overon

How many of these games are there? It's like EA Sports franchise.  

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
1. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 18:52 Overon

I hope it's not another 40k shovelware license cash grab.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade
19. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade May 7, 2015, 18:46 Overon

Will current save games work or will you have to start from the beginning after patching?  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
29. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 7, 2015, 07:09 Overon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 05:52:
Overon wrote on May 6, 2015, 22:54:
According to GMG statement, CD Projekt Red did not make an agreement with GMG about reselling Witcher 3. And they were not happy about that, they said that CD Projekt Red focused on GOG selling instead and didn't make GMG an approved reseller. GMG in their statement also said that they got the keys from CD Projekt approved resellers.

Here is my speculation: GMG got mad that they weren't allowed to be an approved reseller, so they bought keys from official approved resellers and are selling them at no profit or little profit (basically wholesale prices) to purposefully undercut the approved CD Projekt resellers.

They are sending a message that says "This is what happens when you don't allow us to be approved resellers, we undercut your price (even though we get little to no profit) and make you look bad, so next time you come to an agreement and let us officially be your selling partner instead of shutting us out." It's a hell of a way to do it. Companies don't like it when there is variability in the price of their item. It pisses off their approved resellers who do not want to be involved in a price war.

What do you guys think about the likelihood of my speculation?

Good theory, but I don't know of any company that can sell that low at cost. Even in the wholesale end, when I knew what the pricing structure was there's no way anyone was making 50% most of the software especially gaming had a very low markup from wholesale to reseller. Usually in the $5-10 range, sometimes less. CD Projekt though will be able to figure out where the keys came from though, once they get a few of them. And you can bet that they'll buy a sample size from GMG to figure it out.

At the price they're selling, and it's just a guess they're selling at a loss for between $10-19 per unit. Unless they're buying keys from a country that has a huge difference in currency.
There is an extreme example of this. In the market it's called "dumping" which means selling an item at below cost of producing it. In recent memory many USA solar panel manufacturers alleged Chinese manufacturers of dumping Chinese solar panels in USA market at below cost to the manufacturers. The claim was that these Chinese companies were selling them at a loss in order to drive the USA companies out of business. And since solar panels are somewhat of a commodity, there difference between the quality of the Chinese and USA panels was minimal. So as a consumer you could save some good money by buying the Chinese manufactured solar panels. The USA solar panel manufacturers couldn't compete and when you can't compete you eventually cannot continue in your business.

Just to be clear I said allegedly. I did not look into the evidence behind those claims to judge how likely true those claims were. Also keep in mind that it wouldn't be the first time that a business that cannot compete claims that a business that is out out-competing them is doing it in an unfair way.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
13. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 6, 2015, 22:54 Overon

According to GMG statement, CD Projekt Red did not make an agreement with GMG about reselling Witcher 3. And they were not happy about that, they said that CD Projekt Red focused on GOG selling instead and didn't make GMG an approved reseller. GMG in their statement also said that they got the keys from CD Projekt approved resellers.

Here is my speculation: GMG got mad that they weren't allowed to be an approved reseller, so they bought keys from official approved resellers and are selling them at no profit or little profit (basically wholesale prices) to purposefully undercut the approved CD Projekt resellers.

They are sending a message that says "This is what happens when you don't allow us to be approved resellers, we undercut your price (even though we get little to no profit) and make you look bad, so next time you come to an agreement and let us officially be your selling partner instead of shutting us out." It's a hell of a way to do it. Companies don't like it when there is variability in the price of their item. It pisses off their approved resellers who do not want to be involved in a price war.

What do you guys think about the likelihood of my speculation?

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Beta
9. Re: GOG Galaxy Beta May 5, 2015, 22:03 Overon

Frijoles wrote on May 5, 2015, 21:19:
I'll give this a try when Witcher 3 hits it. Steam needs the competition. My goal is to buy what I can from GoG when possible, otherwise fall back to Steam. Just wish they had a bigger catalog.
There is a benefit to buying Witcher 3 on GOG. All the money goes to the developer, unlike Steam. Furthermore other players won't see how many hours you have been playing. They won't know that you are playing at 3 a.m. Nobody will know your embarrassment and shame except you. And it's DRM free and gives Steam competition.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Early Access
5. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues May 5, 2015, 21:58 Overon

Trevellian wrote on May 5, 2015, 21:47:
Overon wrote on May 5, 2015, 21:41:
Oh come on. The jerky animations when they move across tiles. The pauses when the enemy AI is calculating it's move. The fact that this is going to be available for mobile. No name developer. Everything about it screams shovelware cash grab of the license.

Say what you want about it but the game is great. And I've experienced no "jerky animations" while playing. In fact the animations, particularly the executions are my favorite part of the whole game.

It's a 13 dollar Chess with modified rules. If you were expecting much more then you're going to be disappointed. But it's a fun game. No one's saying it's a AAA Warhammer 40K FPS MMO Tabletop Experience. But it does what it sets out to do well , Battlechess with the 40K Universe, and I can appreciate that.

It's fun. I think some of you miss the point of video games anymore.

You'll get your full on 40K Battle experience as soon as you go help fund Eternal Crusade, or you'll get a nice 4 player Coop Space Hulk experience when Deathwing is finished. What do you want? 12 different 40K RTS/FPS games being developed at once?
I want worthy developers developers doing justice to the fluff. Not blatant shovelware cash grabs. I don't see how this is worthy of 40k. The only thing that's good is the kill animations. The developer is going to have just space marines and orks. They aren't even going to do the other factions. If this isn't shovelware then nothing is.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Early Access
3. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Early Access May 5, 2015, 21:41 Overon

Oh come on. The fact that this is going to be available for mobile. No name developer. Everything about it screams shovelware cash grab of the license.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2015, 21:47.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Trailer
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Trailer May 4, 2015, 06:49 Overon

Low cost to produce, high return because of license. That's seems to be the strategy for 40k licenses. Can't wait to see what the early access streams say about this game. Seems like shovelware to me but I could be wrong.  

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
59. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 20:43 Overon

Slick wrote on May 1, 2015, 19:53:
it's a pet peeve of mine, when people incorrectly use words having the exact opposite meaning that they're going for.

when I read it, it literally makes me claw my face off.

see what i did there?
Don't let people discourage you from expressing knowledge and correcting people's errors.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
48. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 18:08 Overon

Requiring $4,000 worth of hardware to render.  

News Comments > ORION: Prelude Revisited
3. Re: ORION: Prelude Revisited Apr 27, 2015, 10:44 Overon

Oh look they found quotes from players that are positive. Very difficult to get anecdotes like that. Anyone actually review this game in its current state?  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
11. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 26, 2015, 01:47 Overon

Yes he said that a couple of months ago. But it's Peter Molyneux so it's false.  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
4. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 25, 2015, 15:38 Overon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:26:
Peter Molyneux

I have a medical condition.

That might explain it...
Pathological lieing can be a symptom of various mental disorders.

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
16. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 12:04 Overon

Damage control, send in the PR drones to fix it.  

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
48. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 17:48 Overon

All I want to know is where the revenue goes. Who gets what and what percent of it.  

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 19:53 Overon

MRA's, SJW's, feminists, etc, come in all shapes of sizes. They don't all agree internally. There are shades and nuance and all the groups can make good points. All the groups can make bad points, and all the groups can be hateful and vitriolic.

My understanding is that the Expo can legally eject anyone they want for any reason they want. Even if the reason is bad and you agree to those terms. If they get complaints, they can eject people even if those complaints are not accurate. I don't think it's in their best interest to do so, but they can nonetheless.

However, that doesn't mean it was just to eject them. Basically before forming a judgement, I want to know exactly what the evidence is for the alleged harassment. Anyone have the evidence that was used to decide to eject them besides complaints? Maybe an actual instance of harassment?

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension Dark Angels Expansion
1. Re: Space Hulk Ascension Dark Angels Expansion Apr 15, 2015, 22:35 Overon

I thought that the developer went of of business...  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X
16. Re: Linux? Apr 14, 2015, 18:30 Overon

Don't buy games on day one. Don't preorder games.  

4057 Comments. 203 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo