Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3882 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend
6. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 16, 2013, 07:03 Overon

It's good. However the biggest knock against is that the devs, lately, have largely focused on adding new content, new mechs, and meaningless cosmetic content, etc instead of focusing on polishing netcode which has some issues with hit detection and rubberbanding and fixing bugs. Now I understand why that may be, new mechs and new customizing content is how revenue is generated and they need revenue to keep working.

The good news is that they already said they plan on improving netcode by the end of the month. Ideally I wish they would focus on annoying bugs that have been there forever like light mechs getting their legs hurts by traversing slightly uneven terrain at high speeds. They have already said that this is not intentional and it's a bug.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDP Reveal Next Month?
63. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDP Reveal Next Month? Jan 15, 2013, 16:38 Overon

I love these who ripped off who battles. The young'un don't do any research on google to find out about the genre and how it was created, all they remember what happened during their lifetime, during their gaming years. The veterans come in (and people who know how to search for information) to set them straight.

Here I can search the web for you guys who cannot or are too lazy to:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/147816/cyberpunk

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs
1. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 12:10 Overon

I game where 4 GB of RAM is recommended as well as a quad core processor? Do my eyes and brain deceive me?  

News Comments > Free StarCraft II Name Changes
10. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 21:14 Overon

I think it's crazy to charge for something as simple as this.  

News Comments > Steam Hardware
26. Re: Steam Hardware Jan 8, 2013, 14:50 Overon

What graphics hardware does thing have? My graphics cards are huge and that thing is so little. Is it intended to play PC games? I know that graphics quality has stagnated given that consoles is largely holding back the need for heavy duty graphics cards, I don't want this kind of low graphics hardware to stagnating graphic fidelity.

Imagine that instead of console graphics stagnating graphics on the PC, you have Piston stagnating graphic fidelity on the PC, a double whammy. I'm scared!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 14:14 Overon

Stupid headline. When you rate 3 phones for every carrier and what separates the phones is 2-3 points out of a 100, then you got a misleading headline.  

News Comments > Bond Games MIA
3. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 4, 2013, 21:59 Overon

Activision is coming out with their own steam like store like Origin by EA. :0  

News Comments > The War Z at War
26. Re: The War Z at War Jan 4, 2013, 15:12 Overon

One wrong to counter another wrong doesn't make anything right. The people who are doing a DOSed don't care about the collateral damage.

I don't care if this if this is the most hated company in America, they shouldn't be DOSed. There are other ways to make your opinions know about how much they suck without resorting to this kind of behavior.

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2012, 17:13 Overon

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 16:55:
Overon wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 16:51:
RollinThundr wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 16:08:
Draugr wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 15:30:
Julio wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 05:07:
If the feminazis want gaming their way, put their money where their mouths are and only buy games that show women as better than men, and they can virtually bobbitt all the men they want.

If you chant straw-man really loudly maybe a real man made of straw will appear!

Bludd wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:02:
Holy shit there's a lot of crap in this thread, and a lot of it proves TFA's point.

Which is what makes this thread so amusing.
In a depressing way. :S

Didn't you hear? There's a war on woman going on or some shit. At least that's what the left keeps spouting.
How would you characterize the passing of laws that force women who want to have an abortion, by law, to have a ultra sound probe put into their vaginas which is not medically necessary?
Here is a long list of evidence for the war on women that you don't believe it's happening.
http://www.politicususa.com/proof-war-women-2
But I'm sure you have no desire to read the long lists on that page and verify whether what they are saying is true or not.

And another derail by trollin...

I couldn't let that comment go, I'm sorry.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2012, 16:57 Overon

Slashman wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 12:51:
Overon wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 02:01:
I have a novel idea, rather than speculating on why women don't go to LAN parties, I think it would be better to ask them in an environment where they can say what they really think freely without fear or intimidation or any other social pressure.

Why don't you enlighten me on what you think the reasons are.

Personally I am way less interested in the fact that none of them wanted to participate at a LAN party than I am in the fact that they still don't play those games in the privacy of their own homes. So I'd say it has way less to do with social pressure than a general lack of interest in hardcore gaming.
I don't know. I haven't looked. That's why I said we should ask them what is unappealing about gaming.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2012, 16:51 Overon

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 16:08:
Draugr wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 15:30:
Julio wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 05:07:
If the feminazis want gaming their way, put their money where their mouths are and only buy games that show women as better than men, and they can virtually bobbitt all the men they want.

If you chant straw-man really loudly maybe a real man made of straw will appear!

Bludd wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:02:
Holy shit there's a lot of crap in this thread, and a lot of it proves TFA's point.

Which is what makes this thread so amusing.
In a depressing way. :S

Didn't you hear? There's a war on woman going on or some shit. At least that's what the left keeps spouting.
How would you characterize the passing of laws that force women who want to have an abortion, by law, to have a ultra sound probe put into their vaginas which is not medically necessary?
Here is a long list of evidence for the war on women that you don't believe it's happening.
http://www.politicususa.com/proof-war-women-2
But I'm sure you have no desire to read the long lists on that page and verify whether what they are saying is true or not.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2012, 02:01 Overon

Slashman wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 21:29:
You know what I find funny?

In all these articles, people are only ever referencing Halo, COD or Gears of War.

I've yet to see complaints of sexism in reference to Civilization, Skyrim, Fallout, Homeworld, Portal, Torchlight 2, Sword of the Stars or any game that's deeper than the latest fragfest.

If you're trying to run with a crowd made up almost entirely of teenaged/pre-pubescent boys who have just discovered the anonymity of the internet, what exactly are you expecting?

I've been in the forums and in communities for countless games where I've never seen any of that. And guess what? I've seen almost no women trying to be part of those communities.

It's like going to a strip club and complaining that the patrons aren't shocked and appalled to find women with no clothes on dancing on stage.

I've run LAN parties and tournaments where women were invited and welcomed to participate. And I sure as hell would have kicked out anyone who got out of line. You know what? Most women just aren't interested in playing hardcore games(sexist content or not). Not a one ever experessed an interest in Starcraft, C&C Generals, Unreal Tournament or any games that were being played. Not even when encouraged by their boyfriends or husbands.

On the other hand, I've lost count of the number of times some woman gets a hint that I'm a computer tech and wants me to help her get The Sims to work on her computer.

I'm tired of people setting up these stupid arguments. 'Boohoo, the Halo crowd are a bunch of jerks.' Well yeah, have you tried playing something else? Is every gaming community made up of immature jerks?

There are countless games out there that are just that: Great games. Seems like no one is interested in talking about those though.
I have a novel idea, rather than speculating on why women don't go to LAN parties, I think it would be better to ask them in an environment where they can say what they really think freely without fear or intimidation or any other social pressure.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Dec 26, 2012, 20:50 Overon

Eirikrautha wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 20:05:
Overon wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 15:40:
I don't know what you mean when you say what video games are "meant to be." They are meant to be whatever the developer/publisher want them to be. There are many types of books, some of them are written not to challenge fixed beliefs nor to buck stereotypes. But there are other books that do. Are books "sociological reform platoforms?" As long as media (games included) promote ideas, they are open to criticism of those ideas. You seem to want to carve out video games as the only media that shouldn't challenge stereotypes and fixed beliefs. I disagree with that.

Actually, video games are whatever the consumer wants them to be. A publisher can "publish" whatever they want, but only the consumers determine what is successful (despite all of the publishers' efforts to the contrary...). The vast majority of works of literature that "challenged" beliefs were complete commercial failures. The stereotype of the starving artist was invented for a reason. Most works we would look back on as "ground-breaking" were generally either unknown in their own time or very poorly received (see William Blake). Those that were commercially successful were almost always those that hid their challenges under layers of meaning. We only recognize them today because our culture has evolved to be closer to what those earlier authors and artists were advocating for. The folks that "challenged" in the opposite direction from what we believe today have faded into obscurity (see Rudyard Kipling).

Heck, perhaps the greatest stereotype and fixed belief of the day IS to "challenge" the beliefs of everyone (or at least the beliefs that you don't agree with... somehow I doubt you'd be promoting a game that had you kill off AIDS patients because their disease makes them less than human, etc.). What gamers actually care about are games that are enjoyable. If your game is not fun (or too preachy... which tends to suck the fun right out), then no matter what your great "ideal" is... the game is a failure. If you can sneak some moral or idea in... great.. so long as it doesn't detract from the fun.

Preachy books and preachy art tend to fail (outside the elitists who get their sense of self-worth by supposedly seeing what the great unwashed masses can't see), too. So how about advocating for fun games first, as there are enough difficulties for publishers to actually make one of those... without the great diversity checklist in addition...
I'm hardly advocating what you say I am advocating. I don't know if you realize this but, every piece of media has underpinnings of ideas. Why is it bad for me to advocate for more diverse ideas? I'm not looking for checkboxes or quotas. I'm looking for dissent and some degree of unique incite or expressing unpopular opinions (ones I may not even share) and some degree of novelty.

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2012, 01:58.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Dec 26, 2012, 15:40 Overon

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 14:22:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 13:43:
Overon wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 13:06:
...I just prefer if what they did was less what they do now and more of what some written books do, challenging people's fixes beliefs.

When challenging people's fixed beliefs doesn't involve risking 20-100 million dollars, risk angering shareholders, risk angering distribution partners and risk, more importantly, angering your fickle customer base who gives you billions of dollars every year, then you'll see games become sociological reform platforms.

Granted, I am sure someone can dig up an indie game somewhere that does this, but that doesn't grab the attention or sales that Call of Black Halo Duty Ops XLVI: War Gear Edition does. Such is the nature of the business and no one is going to change that business so long as it IS a business.

They're video games, they're not meant to be sociological reform platforms. If the NYTimes or any of the feminazi's take issue with that, tell them to make their own PC liberal approved videogames.

I don't know what you mean when you say what video games are "meant to be." They are meant to be whatever the developer/publisher want them to be. There are many types of books, some of them are written not to challenge fixed beliefs nor to buck stereotypes. But there are other books that do. Are books "sociological reform platoforms?" As long as media (games included) promote ideas, they are open to criticism of those ideas. You seem to want to carve out video games as the only media that shouldn't challenge stereotypes and fixed beliefs. I disagree with that.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Dec 26, 2012, 13:06 Overon

Game makers can do what they want, but if they want to appeal to women, half the population, then they can do far better than they are doing now.

Games are misogynistic overall. They perpetuate stereotypes more often than not, and don't challenge people's fixed beliefs in general. Games can be more than what they are now. Books can be controversial, they can challenge people's fixed beliefs and so far, games have not been generally able to do this.

I want to make it clear before I'm attacked, that I don't think we should pass laws to make games a certain way. Developers can do what they want, I just prefer if what they did was less what they do now and more of what some written books do, challenging people's fixes beliefs.

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2012, 13:14.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Alternate Box Art
2. Re: BioShock Infinite Alternate Box Art Dec 26, 2012, 12:52 Overon

I loved the bland box art:
example

Looks exactly like this:
example

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2012, 13:01.

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
46. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 20:12 Overon

What shocks me is that this exposes a steam quality control problem. It casts a shadow of doubt on the veracity of what is written on steam game pages.  

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
46. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 19:02 Overon

So you have to get some facebook app in order to get the code? And this facebook app will receive your:

Your basic info
Your email address
Your birthday
Your location

Free my ass!

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
44. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 18:29 Overon

So how do they send you your key? Email? I clicked like and I got jack squat?

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2012, 18:38.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Announced
18. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 20:38 Overon

Dark Souls is probably the worst PC port since Resident Evil. The thing that makes it better is the modding that the guy did with hack dx 9 dll that allowed higher resolutions and texture replacement and generally better graphics overall.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2012, 20:44.

3882 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo