Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 4048 (Master)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
45. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 19:09 Overon

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 18:59:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:18:
I reserve the right to steal
I think this one line pretty much sums you up as a human being.
Would you say the same thing if he said something like "I reserve the right to steal if I get desperate enough"?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
41. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 17:49 Overon

Nuclear holocaust is that okay to use even though there are people still alive that remember The Holocaust?

People use the terms social apartheid, gender apartheid, technological apartheid, and racial apartheid known in the USA as Jim Crow.

This 25 minute gameplay demo makes a good case for calling what is depicted in the first minutes of the video "mechanical apartheid"
https://youtu.be/jh-iX2bxOjI
In South Africa people were mistreated by the civil authorities based on the physical features. In the first 5 minutes of video the exact same thing is happening except instead of having darker skin, the people being mistreated have mechanical body parts. I think mechanical apartheid describes the situation perfectly.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2015, 18:04.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer
21. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer Jun 8, 2015, 17:22 Overon

That mean's it's going to run like shit on AMD cards.

The last 3 Batmans had the exact same combat mechanic and I wish this one has something new. I did love the story in the previous 3.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2015, 17:36.

News Comments > The Witcher III Exp Bug
35. Re: The Witcher III Exp Bug May 28, 2015, 20:40 Overon

harlock wrote on May 28, 2015, 17:42:
Overon wrote on May 28, 2015, 17:33:
Off base? The guy created two videos demonstrating the movement problems and simplistic combat. He actually demonstrated it. He justified his opinion with evidence. That's rare these days.

he didnt demonstrate shit, other than his inability to play the game in a capacity beyond that of a toddler

there are some issues, but they arent OMG ITS THE END OF THE FUCKING WORLD BECAUSE I CANT PLAY THIS ON MY MOUSE AND KEYBOARD WAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAH I WANNA PLAY MY WAY NOT YOUR WAY WAAAAAAH WAAAAAH IM A BIG FUCKING CRYBABY WAAAAAH WAAAAAAH DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

he can be a real toolbag.. a right wanker, if you will - and THAT is what he demonstrated
You gotta be shitting me. The developer stated in interviews that PC is the lead platform yet mouse and keyboard controls are terribly imprecise. When you purchase a product it comes with some expectations. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a PC game to have more precise keyboard and mouse controls.

32. Re: The Witcher III Exp Bug May 28, 2015, 19:05 Overon

All well and good and while it is true that he used the most obvious example to demonstrate his point, it is his point that the combat mechanics are simplistic and the keyboard and mouse controls are imprecise.  

30. Re: The Witcher III Exp Bug May 28, 2015, 17:48 Overon

Krovven wrote on May 28, 2015, 16:02:
Hanover wrote on May 28, 2015, 16:00:
ItBurn wrote on May 28, 2015, 15:15:
New vid from Mac about the combat in Witcher 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE
I think that's the same Worth a Buy video from a week ago. Yep, he still hates the combat.

Yea he linked the wrong video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkFqn1TMeH4

The guy still doesn't have a clue. Yes he showed us he can counter and attack and have no problem against one of the weakest enemies in the game. He showed that he can get enemies stuck in an animation lock where they don't attack.

It's too bad, that what he is complaining about will get him dead against pretty much any other enemy type in the game. Nevermind that it took him 5 minutes to kill 3 basic enemies in a very boring way. and he is quickly destroying his weapons by letting the enemy block every 2nd or 3rd hit. Notice at the end of the video his weapon durability indicator has come up on screen. Weapon destroyed after only fighting against a handful of enemies.

He does not have a clue what he is talking about.

Forgot to mention the targeting issue he brought up first. He keeps moving the camera, therefore the indicated target changes. But none of that matters. What matter is the direction you point the Left stick, or WASD when you make your attack. And if you aren't used the directional control to control your attack, you are a fucking moron...hence Mack.
I couldn't disagree more. The weapon durability issue is barely an issue. Yes weapons get damaged faster when enemies block your attacks but repairing them yourself or at an village is a non issue cause it's cheap. Blocking allows you to block almost all attacks from any directions except bosses, so does the parry.

Not even mentioning the other video where he discusses the crappy movement and demonstrates it. I'm level 8 and I'm in Velen. the only part he gets wrong is he complains about how small White Orchard is and how it takes a few minutes to ride from one end to the other. He says the game is not true open world but is zoned and should mention how you are forced to go back because of the invisible walls. He doesn't seem to realize that Velen gets a lot bigger than White Orchard but it's still zoned. He demonstrates the terrible AI pathfinding, where a horse blocks people from walking around the path. I have experienced quest breaking bugs.

27. Re: The Witcher III Exp Bug May 28, 2015, 17:33 Overon

ForgedReality wrote on May 28, 2015, 11:05:
jomisab wrote on May 28, 2015, 11:01:
ForgedReality wrote on May 28, 2015, 10:54:
I've been doing quests six or more levels ABOVE mine. It's incredibly difficult, and I'm sure I'm going to miss out on some things by doing shit ahead of time, but holy crap this game is too much fun.

Totally. And if CDPR is estimating another 30 hours for the expansions, that probably means another 50-100 hours of actual in-game time.

I'm totally buying them. This has been the best gaming purchase in pretty much ever for me, and I got the $150 Collector's Edition. When I get my 980ti and 40" 4k monitor, I'm so playing it over again. Maybe I won't import my Witcher 2 final savegame this time to see how things are different. Such a glorious game.

And Fuck Worth-A-Buy for being soooooo way off base with his shitty, ignorant review. >:\
Off base? The guy created two videos demonstrating the movement problems and simplistic combat. He actually demonstrated it. He justified his opinion with evidence. That's rare these days.

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched
9. Re: The Witcher III Patched May 26, 2015, 10:18 Overon

I wish they fixed the delay in starting to move and the delay in stopping. It may work for analog controls but not for mouse and keyboard. I wish they also fixed the imprecise keyboard controls. Hard to line up yourself with things. The scrolling list UI are highly annoying and clearly designed for consoles for viewing at TV distances. In a word I wish they fixed the consolitis design decisions.

I read somewhere that the developers were in "crunch time" for over a year. Had I known this I would have not gotten it so soon. Knowing this the logical inference to make is that it's going to have a lots of bugs and consolitis issues like these as it's rushed out for the release date.

The best thing I can say is that CD Projekt Red is known for great patch support after release and there will be the inevitable "Enhanced Edition" which will solve lots of issues.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer
11. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer May 21, 2015, 18:15 Overon

I have seen previous videos where the characters models were less muddy, had more detail and so did the backgrounds. What the hell happened?  

News Comments > Cancelled DOOM Media
3. Re: Cancelled DOOM Media May 18, 2015, 21:44 Overon

Looks like call of duty doom.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway?
17. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway? May 11, 2015, 23:17 Overon

Needs patches and then enhanced edition.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade
21. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade May 7, 2015, 19:50 Overon

Actually asteroid fields are very easy to navigate. If you were standing on one asteroid looking out you would not even see any other asteroids near you. They are further apart than what you see in movies.

I hope the save games are compatible because I stopped playing after getting to the second half of the game just because I heard about the new patch.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Reveal Next Week
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Reveal Next Week May 7, 2015, 18:54 Overon

How many of these games are there? It's like EA Sports franchise.  

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
1. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 18:52 Overon

I hope it's not another 40k shovelware license cash grab.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade
19. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade May 7, 2015, 18:46 Overon

Will current save games work or will you have to start from the beginning after patching?  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
29. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 7, 2015, 07:09 Overon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 05:52:
Overon wrote on May 6, 2015, 22:54:
According to GMG statement, CD Projekt Red did not make an agreement with GMG about reselling Witcher 3. And they were not happy about that, they said that CD Projekt Red focused on GOG selling instead and didn't make GMG an approved reseller. GMG in their statement also said that they got the keys from CD Projekt approved resellers.

Here is my speculation: GMG got mad that they weren't allowed to be an approved reseller, so they bought keys from official approved resellers and are selling them at no profit or little profit (basically wholesale prices) to purposefully undercut the approved CD Projekt resellers.

They are sending a message that says "This is what happens when you don't allow us to be approved resellers, we undercut your price (even though we get little to no profit) and make you look bad, so next time you come to an agreement and let us officially be your selling partner instead of shutting us out." It's a hell of a way to do it. Companies don't like it when there is variability in the price of their item. It pisses off their approved resellers who do not want to be involved in a price war.

What do you guys think about the likelihood of my speculation?

Good theory, but I don't know of any company that can sell that low at cost. Even in the wholesale end, when I knew what the pricing structure was there's no way anyone was making 50% most of the software especially gaming had a very low markup from wholesale to reseller. Usually in the $5-10 range, sometimes less. CD Projekt though will be able to figure out where the keys came from though, once they get a few of them. And you can bet that they'll buy a sample size from GMG to figure it out.

At the price they're selling, and it's just a guess they're selling at a loss for between $10-19 per unit. Unless they're buying keys from a country that has a huge difference in currency.
There is an extreme example of this. In the market it's called "dumping" which means selling an item at below cost of producing it. In recent memory many USA solar panel manufacturers alleged Chinese manufacturers of dumping Chinese solar panels in USA market at below cost to the manufacturers. The claim was that these Chinese companies were selling them at a loss in order to drive the USA companies out of business. And since solar panels are somewhat of a commodity, there difference between the quality of the Chinese and USA panels was minimal. So as a consumer you could save some good money by buying the Chinese manufactured solar panels. The USA solar panel manufacturers couldn't compete and when you can't compete you eventually cannot continue in your business.

Just to be clear I said allegedly. I did not look into the evidence behind those claims to judge how likely true those claims were. Also keep in mind that it wouldn't be the first time that a business that cannot compete claims that a business that is out out-competing them is doing it in an unfair way.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
13. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 6, 2015, 22:54 Overon

According to GMG statement, CD Projekt Red did not make an agreement with GMG about reselling Witcher 3. And they were not happy about that, they said that CD Projekt Red focused on GOG selling instead and didn't make GMG an approved reseller. GMG in their statement also said that they got the keys from CD Projekt approved resellers.

Here is my speculation: GMG got mad that they weren't allowed to be an approved reseller, so they bought keys from official approved resellers and are selling them at no profit or little profit (basically wholesale prices) to purposefully undercut the approved CD Projekt resellers.

They are sending a message that says "This is what happens when you don't allow us to be approved resellers, we undercut your price (even though we get little to no profit) and make you look bad, so next time you come to an agreement and let us officially be your selling partner instead of shutting us out." It's a hell of a way to do it. Companies don't like it when there is variability in the price of their item. It pisses off their approved resellers who do not want to be involved in a price war.

What do you guys think about the likelihood of my speculation?

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Beta
9. Re: GOG Galaxy Beta May 5, 2015, 22:03 Overon

Frijoles wrote on May 5, 2015, 21:19:
I'll give this a try when Witcher 3 hits it. Steam needs the competition. My goal is to buy what I can from GoG when possible, otherwise fall back to Steam. Just wish they had a bigger catalog.
There is a benefit to buying Witcher 3 on GOG. All the money goes to the developer, unlike Steam. Furthermore other players won't see how many hours you have been playing. They won't know that you are playing at 3 a.m. Nobody will know your embarrassment and shame except you. And it's DRM free and gives Steam competition.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Early Access
5. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues May 5, 2015, 21:58 Overon

Trevellian wrote on May 5, 2015, 21:47:
Overon wrote on May 5, 2015, 21:41:
Oh come on. The jerky animations when they move across tiles. The pauses when the enemy AI is calculating it's move. The fact that this is going to be available for mobile. No name developer. Everything about it screams shovelware cash grab of the license.

Say what you want about it but the game is great. And I've experienced no "jerky animations" while playing. In fact the animations, particularly the executions are my favorite part of the whole game.

It's a 13 dollar Chess with modified rules. If you were expecting much more then you're going to be disappointed. But it's a fun game. No one's saying it's a AAA Warhammer 40K FPS MMO Tabletop Experience. But it does what it sets out to do well , Battlechess with the 40K Universe, and I can appreciate that.

It's fun. I think some of you miss the point of video games anymore.

You'll get your full on 40K Battle experience as soon as you go help fund Eternal Crusade, or you'll get a nice 4 player Coop Space Hulk experience when Deathwing is finished. What do you want? 12 different 40K RTS/FPS games being developed at once?
I want worthy developers developers doing justice to the fluff. Not blatant shovelware cash grabs. I don't see how this is worthy of 40k. The only thing that's good is the kill animations. The developer is going to have just space marines and orks. They aren't even going to do the other factions. If this isn't shovelware then nothing is.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Early Access
3. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Early Access May 5, 2015, 21:41 Overon

Oh come on. The fact that this is going to be available for mobile. No name developer. Everything about it screams shovelware cash grab of the license.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2015, 21:47.

4048 Comments. 203 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo