Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3870 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > ORION: Dino Horde Free Weekend
6. Re: ORION: Dino Horde Free Weekend Jun 1, 2013, 00:54 Overon

This review does not pull any punches:
http://nzgamer.com/pc/reviews/1868/orion-dino-horde.html

They ripped off assets from primal rage and they ripped off assets from natural selection and fired employees and they rebranded the shit that was called orion dino beatdown now as orion dino horde.

It's a steaming pile of shit.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2013, 00:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Primal Carnage Free Weekend
7. Re: Primal Carnage Free Weekend Jun 1, 2013, 00:43 Overon

Wrong thread. My bad.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2013, 00:49.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2013, 06:44 Overon

Actually, Anita took some of the criticisms of thunderf00t and addressed them in the 2nd video. I suggest you watch thunderf00t video response to her first video and then watch her 2nd video and you will see I'm correct. You have to give her props for actually addressing some of his criticisms.  

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers
3. Re: AMD Catalyst beta drivers May 29, 2013, 17:39 Overon

Wow these beta driver notes make the beta drivers nearly worthless for the vast majority of people:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-6WINBetaDriver.aspx

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Announced
7. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Announced May 22, 2013, 06:43 Overon

It could just be a blatant brand cash-in like so many others. I hope I'm proven wrong.  

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
70. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 17:40 Overon

Well I think this is good for PC gaming since both the PS4 and Xbox One are x86 and very close to off the shelf PC game hardware which will make porting so much easier to the PC. No doubt there will be more paid exclusives but also maybe a few more quality ports (I hope the quality of ports decreases).

Also no solid state drives for ps4 nor xbox one? I now that will raise the costs but come on, once you go solid state drive for your game installations, you don't ever want to go back.

News Comments > Game Reviews
41. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 20:18 Overon

Prez wrote on May 19, 2013, 19:23:
I'm not the slightest bit religious, but I have way more respect for people who are and leave others alone instead of the assholes who think criticizing them is somehow enlightening.

I stopped being surprised at just how much religious bigotry exists on the Internet long ago, and Bluesnews is definitely no exception, but I agree wholeheartedly with the quoted portion of Mad Max's post.

I'll be the first to bash a Christian who gets on his or her moral superiority high horse on things like sex, drinking, or gay marriage, but a guy who happens to proudly avail himself of his religious denomination while reviewing games is not an affront to anybody, and all this unwarranted scorn and mockery serves to make those who consider themselves enlightened or intellectually superior appear just the opposite.
I'm going to have to disagree here, I don't believe there are any ideas who are justifiably free from criticism and it's important to understand that criticism does not imply bigotry. Whether someone gets on their high horse or not, has nothing to do with how justified their beliefs and knowledge claims are. If Ted Bundy criticized my beliefs or knowledge claims, those criticisms stand or fall on their justification, totally independent of who is making them (in this case Ted Bundy a convicted serial killer).

39. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 20:12 Overon

Quinn wrote on May 19, 2013, 19:57:
ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2013, 15:14:
Quinn wrote on May 19, 2013, 14:55:
Overon: Well said.

ItBurns: Tell me you're kidding me? Don't go all Mass Effect on us :O

I find it hilarious how the first poster got that "hate speech!" reply, with Blues even saying he felt like deleting the post. It's fucking ridiculous.

People deserve respect, their religion and ideas do not. Exactly like Overon said. When a person tells me he believes in a talking snake, I laugh in his face. There's no crime in ridiculing religion. If you ask me, it's high time to do so.

I do believe we're JUST machines. Are you religious or do you believe in a soul or something? I mean, it's not far fetched or strange.

I don't believe anything. I go for knowing. I know humans as well as other animals have feelings, both physically and mentally. I know machines have not. Ergo destroying, damaging or raping a robot is different than doing that to humans.

Philosophical bedrock right here.
Knowledge is a subset of belief. So you do believe things, the question is how well those beliefs are justified or how justified you are in your knowledge claims

21. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 13:32 Overon

Wikipedia defines bigotry as "a state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, and intolerance on the basis of a person's race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, language, socioeconomic status, or other status."
It's a weird definition. Notice that race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socialeconomic status are largely IMMUTABLE characteristics, yet religion, a set of ideas, are not largely IMMUTABLE, stands out like a sore thumb. One thing is not like the others. Also religion is a position and ideas not any kind of status. Therefore I don't think what the first poster said qualifies as religious bigotry. Was it means-pirited, maybe. I believe humans deserve respect, their ideas however, do not. And religious ideas qualify. They are not immutable just as my ideas on the best economic system do not deserve special respect because they are just ideas, they have no feelings to hurt. Though I may not call people wingnuts for tactical reasons because usually name calling shuts down any conversation with them and results in mean spirited discussion.

I disagree with the reviewer because I think though he said he enjoyed the game, he could not recommend it for "moral reasons." I disagree with him, it is not unethical to kill in a virtual environment. But I see that many Christian denominations believe people can commit "sin" aka act immorally even with their thoughts, so I can understand from his perspective where he is coming from even though I think "thought crimes" is an absurd notion.

P.S.
When would a robot be worthy of ethical consideration?

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 15:01.

News Comments > Rising Storm Preorders
17. Re: Rising Storm Preorders May 17, 2013, 17:42 Overon

I'm fairly sure Tripwire stated they would add additional tanks to RO2 but they don't appear they will do that.  

News Comments > DARK Trailer
3. Re: DARK Trailer May 15, 2013, 22:47 Overon

Looks like a typical 3rd person console game. I think the animations are awkward looking and the textures are poor. The poor textures are perfect for a game designed for consoles lack of graphics memory in mind. Is this cell shading? That's a good way to not have to create high resolution textures. I hope the narrative is good that makes people want to play through to the end.  

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
59. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 15, 2013, 22:35 Overon

The very purpose of a forum like this is to discuss games. How can you discuss games without discussing perceived problems? How can you discuss anything if criticisms of that very thing you are discussing are off the table? This attitude makes no logical sense.  

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
49. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 15, 2013, 18:11 Overon

The statement made suggests bad design decisions. However this statement is stupid:
Game performance is also tied to FOV - the amount of geometric detail we put in each scene has been partly determined by this set FOV, and setting a wider FOV would have a performance impact.
A reason for no FOV is because can lower performance. I can make a similar statement by parallel reasoning: "We did not include AA because AA lowers performance."

Also I have seen people complain of shadows flickering when moving and "screen door" effect when shining the flash light at some surfaces. It's blatantly obvious how unpolished the game is.
http://kzn-clan.nl/imgup2/GF
http://i.imgur.com/QAW0Xe4.jpg

This comment was edited on May 15, 2013, 18:34.

News Comments > Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale
18. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 22:28 Overon

I await the community to give us Ranger mode hack and fov hack.  

News Comments > Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale
12. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 21:52 Overon

Was the 360 their target platform so no need for gui FOV settings and gui auto aim settings? Or just laziness? As long as you can turn off autoaim via configuration files, but the FOV, that's just unacceptable.

The ranger mode is bullshit. I have read reviews that say that game is too easy and they have reviewed it under the default difficulty. I bet the community will figure out how to hack the FOV, how to enable ranger mode in no preorders, if they don't then the crackers will at least figure out the ranger mode.

News Comments > On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution
14. Re: On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution May 12, 2013, 14:09 Overon

Jerykk wrote on May 12, 2013, 06:45:
Overon wrote on May 11, 2013, 23:03:
Help me understand the cover shooter. Help me. Right now in real life combat zones, things like walls provide little protection against ballistic weapons. Yet in games like Mass Effect where they accelerate projectiles to super high speeds, stone, brick, and concrete stops them in their tracks. How can the futuristic weapons be so inferior to today's weapons when it comes to ballistic cover. Same goes for these cover shooters like this new Xcom game. To me this contradiction is so glaring that it makes it really difficult to play these games because I just keep thinking "this is stupid" constantly.

There are cover shooters with destructible cover or projectiles that can go through cover. Inversion or Binary Domain, for example. However, you act like invincible cover is limited to third-person shooters. It isn't. Most first-person shooters have invincible cover too. If you don't like unrealistically durable cover, you must not like Half-Life, Duke Nukem, Doom, Wolfenstein, NOLF, System Shock, Bioshock, Far Cry, Crysis, Quake, UT, etc. By that token, you must think Red Faction is the greatest shooter ever made because most of the cover in that series is destructible.
Good points. You are right, my position is not logically consistent.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2013, 14:08 Overon

Preorder Metro and you get ranger mode? Really so no ranger mode for anyone who does not preorder? You got to be shitting me.  

News Comments > On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution
8. Re: On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution May 11, 2013, 23:03 Overon

Help me understand the cover shooter. Help me. Right now in real life combat zones, things like walls provide little protection against ballistic weapons. Yet in games like Mass Effect where they accelerate projectiles to super high speeds, stone, brick, and concrete stops them in their tracks. How can the futuristic weapons be so inferior to today's weapons when it comes to ballistic cover. Same goes for these cover shooters like this new Xcom game. To me this contradiction is so glaring that it makes it really difficult to play these games because I just keep thinking "this is stupid" constantly.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2013, 22:10 Overon

They want to stream their own content. They also are nervous that netflix wants to create their own content, thereby competing with them.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Zeno Clash II
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Zeno Clash II Apr 30, 2013, 22:37 Overon

The game is very much like the first one except with a more open world feel. You really should read up on the plot of the first game and go through the tutorial/prologue in order to understand wtf is going on.  

3870 Comments. 194 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo