Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 4113 (Master)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ] Older >

News Comments > Free MW4 Release Cleared
3. Re: Free MW4 Release Cleared Apr 21, 2010, 17:29 Overon

About time. But the MW4 mechs look cartoonish but still I will play.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging
7. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 19, 2010, 21:48 Overon

You know what uses a lot of energy? The servers that have to run in an air conditioned server room 24/7 so people can play their UBIsoft games.
Good one. They are just greenwashing. It's good pr and most important of all it saves them money. But saving a few pennies per box, won't make their drm any more endearing nor make their games and after sale support any better.

News Comments > David Allen vs Derek Smart
88. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 18, 2010, 14:02 Overon

Good questions Pankin.  

84. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 17, 2010, 19:28 Overon

Derek, I think your crack teams of lawyers you have on retainer may have failed you. They should put a muzzle on you so so that you can't comment as much on pending lawsuits in print.  

80. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 17, 2010, 02:07 Overon

Jane Doe Smart, a lucky woman.  

68. Re: removed Apr 15, 2010, 22:31 Overon

@ Overon
You just don't quit, do you?
First, since you're clearly clueless, here, go learn something
http://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/liability/defamation
Want to know why Huffman's site is still up, regardless of how many times over the years it has been taken down? He is in CA and they have a statute of limitations on defamation. The day he posts anything new on there, he's done.
Even so, I can still take legal action if I wanted to. I choose not to for the simple fact that I won't get anything for my troubles since he's not worth suing (yes, we had in fact hired a PI several years back and we know everything about him). Going after a guy like that would like me suing my landscaping guy because he broke one of the sprinkler heads on my lawn.
What is the point of spending North of $100K to sue when all I would get is the satisfaction of a site takedown? Any attorney worth his salt will tell you the same thing and save you money in the process.
Especially since his stupid and libelous site is more of an annoyance than anything else. He can't host it anywhere else because it will be taken down, so he has it hosted on his friend's site. So I have to go through no less then four layers to finally get to him. Even the ISP will take down the site if I just ask my attorney to take care of it because their TOS is quite clear about defamation and libel.
http://www.isc.org/about/aup
Plus, he has different things to worry about, now that he has once again been outed and he has a lot more professional eyes oh him.
http://bit.ly/bdpRFa
One day, when he least expects it, Huffman will be in more legal trouble than he can handle. Since the laws have rapidly changed since 1996, I just need to find the time and justify the expense to actually so something about it.
As to the link I posted before, yeah it was the wrong one it looks like, but the correct one is right there on that page.
Again, get a grip. The show is over and you're the only one whose knickers are in a bunch.
This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2010, 21:50.

You contradict yourself. You say that Bill Huffman will be "done" as soon as he posts something new on his site. And then you say you choose not to take legal action. And then you say that one day when he least expects it, he will have more legal trouble than he can handle. You are like Two Face from Batman. "Let me flip a coin to see if I will sue or not sue today."

As to the link I posted before, yeah it was the wrong one it looks like, but the correct one is right there on that page.
I'm glad you realized you pasted the wrong link.
Thank you for posting this link:
http://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/liability/defamation
I did learn a lot from it as you had hoped I would.
Here is a quote that I especially learned a lot from:
What are the elements of a defamation claim?
The elements that must be proved to establish defamation are:

1. a publication to one other than the person defamed;
2. a false statement of fact;
3. that is understood as
* a. being of and concerning the plaintiff; and
* b. tending to harm the reputation of plaintiff.
4. If the plaintiff is a public figure, he or she must also prove actual malice.

Is truth a defense to defamation claims?
Yes. Truth is an absolute defense to a defamation claim. But keep in mind that the truth may be difficult and expensive to prove.
The reason you can't prevail over Bill Huffman has everything to do with the fact that his website has your quotes, from public sources like forums and newsgroups. It's only defamation if it's not true. Your own words are true because you wrote them. As to the rest of the stuff on the site that are not quotes from you, it is all parody and you are no doubt aware that parody is rock solidly covered by the First Amendment to the Constitution. And as you say
Any attorney worth his salt will tell you the same thing and save you money in the process.

Derek how magnanimous of you not to take legal action against Flame War Follies and Bill Huffman. Hiring a private investigator to learn everything about him is a stroke of insanity. Why not just hire a mobster to break his legs like in The Sopranos. No one will ever know. That will teach him. Maybe break his fingers so he can't type on his keyboard. You sir are a piece of work. What made you into this litigious angry monster? The irony of this is that you don't seem to realize that your own words are painting a damning picture of Derek Smart.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2010, 22:39.

News Comments > Get Well Soon Tom Hall
13. Re: Get Well Soon Tom Hall Apr 15, 2010, 21:10 Overon

Best wishes go out to you Mr. Hall. If wishes has the power of actions, you would be 100% back already.

Strokes can be devastating. One day you are are functioning fully and then the next you are no longer able to do something you used to previously take for granted.

I hope your are going to be 100% the same as you were before Mr Hall.

61. Re: removed Apr 15, 2010, 20:56 Overon

For the record, zirik's post was removed at the request of Kxmode, and since it was quoting him, I felt it was proper to comply.
Let me see if I got my chain of events right:
1. KXmode posts email correspondences between Derek and KXMode that show Derek in a negative light.

2. Zirik quotes a part of KXModes post without actually quoting Derek's emails that show Dereke in a negative light.

3. Derek quotes some legal stuff as a subtle threat of litigation againt KXMode, which is not so subtle given his history of litigation.

4. Derek quotes some legal stuff again as a subtle threat of litigation against Bluesnews, which is not so subtle given his history of litigation.

5. KXMode agrees to have his post removed to avoid any potential for litigation by Derek.

6. Derek asks Zirik's post to be removed.

7. Blue removes Zirik's post stating that it was rmoved at KXMode's request.

If Derek threatened litigation against me, I too would ask that all my posts that are in any way negative towards him be removed.

I don't blame Blue and I don't blame KXMode.

Nice job Derek. You win. Good luck in CV2010-010391.

P.S. Too bad that flame war follies website it still up:
http://www.werewolves.org/~follies/
Derek were you aware that Bill Huffman from the above site is asking for and I quote:
New Plea (March 10, 2010), information on Derek Smart business dealings is wanted. Have you ever had
business dealings with Mr. Smart? Please Email: Bill Huffman (bhuffma1@san.rr.com)
Why haven't you found a way to silence that Bill Huffman guy and the website he's a part of? That guy has been a thorn in your side for years. When you google "derek smart" that website is 4th link you see.

59. Re: removed Apr 15, 2010, 20:32 Overon

Derek says:
And now more than ever, new rulings such as this recent one, make it that much more clearer. Defamation and copyright infringement are not a Free Speech right.
http://www.digitalmedialawyerblog.com/2010/01/apex_technology_v_doe_may_a_co.html
Derek you are incredibly sloppy with your link. Are you sure you wanted to refer to that link to support your comments? I actually took the time to read what was said on the link you provided. That link actually does not support your claim that "Defamation and copyright infringement are not a Free Speech right" What's more, that link mentions nothing about copyright infringement at all. I'm hoping you must just screwed up with the link. I won't assume that you thought you were being clever.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2010, 21:05.

57. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 15, 2010, 20:18 Overon

I am not a fan of Derek asking for Zirk's post to be removed.  

54. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 15, 2010, 19:43 Overon

Derek you ask for Zirik to remove his post? Why? Are you going to claim that the his post is protected by an NDA? His post contains nothing of your conversation with Kxmode over email at all. Are you going to threaten Blue or Zirik with your teams of lawyers?

I hope you are joking. Next thing all employers will start threatening their former employees/contractors because of what negative things they say about the company they were formerly employed or contracted by.

In the USA we still have a right to criticize our employer. It's madness to think otherwise. As you are probably aware of the truth is an absolute defense against defamation. If it's true that KXMode did not get paid and he has the emails that show how you brutishly responded to him, then Zirik quote stands on solid ground against any potential allegations of defamation.

This the Internet: people post comments about products or services and other people. Is that defamation too? If everyone threatened legal action in the age of the internet, the courts would have nothing but defamation suits to handle. Why don't companies start suing people for their negative reviews of products or services? People post emails and even record conversations between customer support over various issues product or services on websites like consumerist.org all the time. By your logic consumerist.org should have been sued to oblivion by now.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2010, 20:17.

News Comments > Infinity Ward Exodus Continues
45. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 19:23 Overon

Who exactly is responsible for the lack of dedicated servers? Activision or IW?

Who exactly owns the Modern Warfare name IW or Activision or is that being litigated?

News Comments > Core BioShock 2 Team Not Creating XCOM
9. Re: Core BioShock 2 Team Not Creating XCOM Apr 15, 2010, 19:20 Overon

So who is the core studio that fucked up the FOV and aspect ratio on widescreen monitors on the PC in Bioshock 2?  

News Comments > A Paralyzed Gamer's Story
8. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 19:18 Overon

That story make me feel good.  

3. Re: David Allen vs Derek Smart Apr 14, 2010, 21:36 Overon

Has Derek meet another litigious monster? Has Derek meet his match? Who will prevail? Stay tuned!  

News Comments > Starbreeze Syndicate Plans Confirmed
23. Re: Starbreeze Syndicate Plans Confirmed Apr 14, 2010, 18:17 Overon

In one day 2 revivals: Syndicate and X-Com. X-Com being made by the incompetent 2K Marin and Starbreeze working on Syndicate.

But my hopes are low for both. I don't think the qualities that made them such great PC games can be reproduced or matched in today's console centered development environment. Prove me wrong 2K Marin and Starbreeze.

News Comments > More Infinity Ward Departures
29. Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Apr 14, 2010, 18:13 Overon

I always enjoy seeing employees quit and find something better. Activision is a huge failure for letting the top cream of the crop talent loose. It really reflects poorly on their management.  

News Comments > XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced
69. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 17:24 Overon

2K Marin? I bet when it's released it will be like Bioshock 2. They can't even get the aspect ratio and fov correct, to this day in Bioshock 2. 2K Marin are incompetent. I am not going to hold my breath.  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall
13. Re: Chinese have a lot of Hells. Apr 8, 2010, 21:51 Overon

FEAR was good. FEAR 2 was not. FEAR 3 will be good if it's PC centered not console centered but it won't be so I think odds are that it will be not good. Can't argue with my logic.  

News Comments > Bloodlines Revival Project
10. Re: Bloodlines Revival Project Apr 8, 2010, 21:49 Overon

Maybe I can now play the game with newer graphics? When it's fully out which like the ongoing patches will ongoing for all eternity. Not that there is anything wrong with that.  

4113 Comments. 206 pages. Viewing page 69.
< Newer [ 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo