Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3839 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ] Older >

News Comments > Dirt System Specs
8. Re: Dirt System Specs Nov 13, 2009, 07:03 Overon

I think the day is fast approaching where I will need to upgrade my PC if those are the recommended system requirements. Sure most of the stuff is DX9 console ports, but once in a while you get something like this.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Sells 4.7M in 24 Hours
35. Re: MW2 Sells 4.7M in 24 Hours Nov 12, 2009, 13:51 Overon

Infinity Ward started as a PC developer but they saw more money in the console side and moved to that. The PC is just table scraps, a maximization of profit.

I feel bad for all those people who bought the PC version for 60 bucks. I hope that single player is worth it. All the reviews say it's really good but the amount of time you get from it for 60 bucks is not good.

There are more casual gamers in the console market than hardcore gamers. Thus the casual gamer is unaware of the content that they are paying 60 bucks for.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2009, 14:12.

News Comments > Valve Working on "Stuff"
1. Re: Valve Working on "Stuff" Nov 12, 2009, 13:46 Overon

Gabe Newell just went to the bathroom. That's news too!  

News Comments > GameStop Digital Downloads Near
3. Re: GameStop Digital Downloads Near Nov 12, 2009, 13:21 Overon

I'm going to drive to the gamestop store, purchase some DLC, so by the time I drive back I will have it available to start downloading on my PS3/360. Makes perfect sense.

How does gamestop make money on this? Do they charge more for the privilidge of ordering through them rather than skipping the middleman altogether?

It sounds to me like gamestop doing nothing more than trying to upsell to you.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2009, 13:30.

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Exploit Fixed
1. Re: QUAKE LIVE Exploit Fixed Nov 11, 2009, 18:17 Overon

They can't fix the fact it's Quake 3 in 2009.  

News Comments > Age of Conan Wants You Back
15. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 17:16 Overon

I'm not a MMO player, I think it's too much grinding and not enough fun for which you have to keep paying.

But clearly the game isn't doing too well financially and they are trying to get players back by offering them loot and more content. Isn't that the whole point of people play these games for the loot and some community interaction?

Besides WOW being a Blizzard product and the automatic popularity that receives, what makes Age of Conana Inferior to WOW?

News Comments > L4D2 Demo and Steam Patch
5. Re: L4D2 Demo and Steam Patch Nov 11, 2009, 13:27 Overon

I have a core 2 duo 6600 and a gforce 8800 gt with 512 MB. Whenever I turn on multicore in game, requently the game comes to a comnplete freeze 2 seconds or 6 seconds at a time and the sound loops continously in single player and multiplayer. I turn off multicore and problem goes away.

Also I have my sound mic input volumes as high as they will go in windows sound control panel and within the game. Yet when I test my mic, it's so freaking quiet I cannot hear myself nor can anyone else hear me in game. I don't know if I can make the input volume louder through some configuration file hacking or not. But in the GUI it's already at maximum in game and in windows.

News Comments > On Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC
5. Re: On Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Nov 10, 2009, 21:28 Overon

These days if you get dedicated server for the PC version and MOD tools it's like 2002 all over again.  

News Comments > On Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC
4. Re: On Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Nov 10, 2009, 21:27 Overon

Clearly a response to mw2.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam)
123. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Ships Nov 10, 2009, 17:50 Overon

So am in the ONLY one that ran like hell in CoD4 a the windmill level!? heheheheh Running back through the level, I jumped off of a cliff and ran to the start point - didn't have to kill 1 enemy! RUN FORREST RUN!!!!!!
I don't even remember that.

News Comments > Viacom Acquires Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
3. Re: Viacom Acquires Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Nov 10, 2009, 16:12 Overon

They are not dead yet! "Teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, splinter taught them to be a ninja teens..."  

109. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Ships Nov 10, 2009, 16:06 Overon

Let's focus on the real enemy here and that's PC Multiplayer in MW2!
Maybe the SP is good: endless waves of enemies that stop being endless as soon as you pass a certain point.

85. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 15:21 Overon

Yeah I love the awesome 4 cell phone style bars as a measure of connection quality. I don't understand numbers, numbers are too hard, I can barely read and write, "I just don't get math."  

75. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 15:12 Overon

Player count isn't everything, some games benefit from more focused map design in multiplayer and smaller counts. The bigger deal to me is the issue of the control and the inherent host advantage in a P2P setup. I host my own servers for these types of games for a few other forums and we have built entire little communities around it. The whole P2P setup just destroys that.
As the pic I posted demonstrates, there are far more than just up to 18 player size limit that is wrong with MW2 and the host ping advantage. Ping is so important in a twitch FPS game. Hosting gives you an advantage. But there are far more problems than that.

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 15:07 Overon

Oh its much more awesome than that. See, if you go buy your RETAIL PC version right this minute you can go home and play it because STEAM will unlock it immediately...but....if you made the mistake of BUYING the game THROUGH Steam then you have to wait two more days.
It's a concession to the retailers. Retailers lose business if you don't purchase through them (through steam) So they gave them a 2 days period of exclusivity to keep them happy. Makes perfect sense from that point of view. There will come a time when games will be far less dependent on retailers for sales and that's when Steam won't be extending exclusivity.

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 15:04 Overon

18 player MP limit is so 1999. Even in 1998 Starsiege Tribes allowed 32 players on a server. Peer to peer networking in a twitch FPS game? Great design decision that was.

How can any serious PC gamer accept any of this:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4069/mw2b.jpg

What a joke. Don't pay 60 bucks for this.

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 14:40 Overon

Get used to seeing this a lot as a consequence of console style matchmaking peer 2 peer in a twitch fps:
http://i33.tinypic.com/288351h.jpg

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Tomorrow
47. Re: MW2 Tomorrow Nov 9, 2009, 18:32 Overon

Hey, PC gamers, when you buy this turd, remember this pic:
http://i33.tinypic.com/288351h.jpg
Get used to seeing it often.

The next pic, based on my research, is largely correct other than the arbitrary numbers for those ping times:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4069/mw2b.jpg
However the meaning of the pings is accurate, you will get better pings from a client/server game with lots dedicated servers near you geographically than from peer to peer technology where the player is both hosting and playing on the same system.

InfinityWard can shove that console style matchmaking bullshit up their collective asses. MW2 is a step down from MW1 in MP support.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 18:34.

News Comments > Borderlands Console DLC This Month, PC "Later"
2. Re: Borderlands Console DLC This Month, PC "Later" Nov 9, 2009, 18:29 Overon

Save that console shit for consoles. Of all the PC games to play that are actually good, why would people care about borderlands for PC? It's got consolitis written all over it despite assurances the devs to the contrary that the pc would be the lead platform for the game. Is that why the game shipped by default with console centered configuration where players had to figure out settings in ini files to get the game to behave better on pc's? Please.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Tomorrow
14. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Tomorrow Nov 9, 2009, 11:56 Overon

There are no dedicated servers for MW2. It's p2p. A whole book can be written about why this is mostly a very bad idea for a twitch FPS.
I'm well aware of the superiority of client/server architecture for performance reasons and others. Also since no on answered my question to my satisfaction, I decided to search for it myself. In a recent interview with Infinity Ward, one of the devs Mackey McCandish says:
"IWNet matches players together based on several factors including ping and skill. After players are matched, the most suitable host is determined. That player hosts until they quit, at which time hosting responsibilities will normally migrate to another player without interrupting the match."
Source:
http://www.a2kclan.com/pt/BestBuy-Webchat-Nov-3-with-Infinity-Ward/blog.htm

That's peer 2 peer. That's a huge mistake. They are catering to the casual FPS players on PC at the expense of the hardcore player. I'm not interested in any game that uses a peer 2 peer architecture in a twitch first person shooter, or any first person shooter for that matter. Also I'm not interested in paying 60 bucks for it. Also there are so many proper PC games that are already released that deserve my time:
Dragon Age Origins, Torchlight, Witcher, Killing Floor, Team Fortress 2, etc.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 17:57.

3839 Comments. 192 pages. Viewing page 69.
< Newer [ 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo