Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3936 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers
15. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:14 Overon

What the hell is happening to PC gaming. It's devolving right before our eyes. I hope this is not a trend of things to come, no dedicated servers or no publicly released dedicated servers. It's madness, how can people accept this?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Apple iPad Announced
52. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 18:35 Overon

I have never bought an apple product in my life. I don't have a laptop or netbook, only a desktop PC. I'm looking for a portable device like this, especially for reading pdf and ebooks. I realize that for the price of this device you can get more capable netbooks. I also realize that the hardware in the device and the software does not justify the price of the device. However netbooks cannot do e-books as well as the ipad and you can't get ebooks at a discounted price like those offered in the apple ibook store. However, I don't like being tied down to any service and would like to install stuff outside of the apple app store (jail break the ipad if possible). It support epub format for ebooks which is necessary for me to purchase it. Is there pdf support? It does come with a usb connector to hook up to my pc for example for charging and moving over data like some of the reading material I have.

It comes with a stylus but where is the handwriting recognition, I haven't heard anything about handwriting recognition. And the lack of multitasking is the single biggest disappointment. That is just insane not to have that, there is no technical or battery reason why there is no multitasking support. Also since there is no multitasking, are there going to be notifications if you get an email while reading a book? Or will you have to kill the video, go into email, check it and restart the video?

Also if anyone thinks this is going to be a failure like the Apple Newton, they are crazy. Apple has a whole string of successful hardware products in modern times, what was their last failure hardware product? This thing will sell like all of their recent hardware products. Nobody else could charge the amount that apple is charging for this device and get away with it.

I wonder if the battery is user replaceable but I doubt it. Also one thing I hate about apple, is that they keep releasing revisions every 6 months or so, and if they are just software changes, would it kill them to add those software changes to those people have an older version of the device? Let's say I buy a ipad, and then 6 months later they come out with an OS update and an new ipad revision that does multitasking. Why not release the OS update to my ipad so it can do multitasking as well. It's not like there needs to be different or additional hardware in order to to multitasking.

I have considered a kindle or a nook especially because of the more capable android OS it uses, but a nice touch screen and internet browsing is compelling to have to someone like me without a portable latpop or netbook.

I hope the ibook store has comics, newspapers, magazines, and textbooks, not just books.

The lack of flash support is crazy. Unfortunately so many places uses flash. I know that html 5 video is coming but there is no agreement on which encoder to use so that won't help the ipad unless content makers choose to use h264 which apple supports.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 18:53.

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 SecuROM DRM Details
21. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 SecuROM DRM Details Jan 27, 2010, 18:04 Overon

Something to note though, the 'Tages" system was able to stave off cracks for the Avatar game for several weeks which was enough to get the publisher past the peak selling period.
Avatar on PC uses Solidshield not Tages. Game was released Dec 1st and my research indicates it was cracked and released on January 14th, quite a long peak selling point. This is the exception to most game I realize.

People keep forgetting that DRM does 2 main things:

1) It stops casual piracy and where people just lend the game cd to others and as a consequence virtually destroys the resale market.
2) It hinders cracking attempts thereby increasing the likelihood that a game will be unreleased by pirate groups during the peak buying time of the initial days of the release.

All DRM that is used for PC games does 1) well. But 2) is another story. Big releases like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age origins were cracked and released by pirate groups before their release dates.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 18:10.

News Comments > Microsoft Points Class Action Lawsuit
11. Re: Microsoft Points Class Action Lawsuit Jan 26, 2010, 15:37 Overon

Microsoft has seen the research and the evidence understands that creating an intermediary currency of points allows them to hide the actual popular currency cost so that people who do not put in the effort to do basic math get taken advantage of. Also selling the points in it in blocks, means that points are left over, and it's not like having change left over, you can't use them. It's the classic buy a gift card for 50 bucks and buy something for 39.99 plus tax and anything left over you don't use and becomes free money to the store that issued the gift card.

They are taking advantage of people's psychology and their ignorane or indifference to doing basic math.

News Comments > Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication
8. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:27 Overon

Imagine this, a ubisoft game that requires login into their drm online system, and a login to games for windows live, playing over a steam login. Like a rotten oninon, you peal back the layers and it keeps stinking.  

News Comments > On Steam Exchange Rates
6. Re: On Steam Exchange Rates Jan 24, 2010, 20:08 Overon

Don't forget that the standard consumer electronics warranty is 2 years in Europe as opposed to a year in the USA so that explains at least part of the higher cost. But I'm talking about consumer electronics not games.  

News Comments > BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com
29. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 24, 2010, 20:04 Overon

I assume this applies to consoles as well? Publishers don't like when gamestop and the like make huge profits on used game sales. So they do this which makes it virtually impossible. So one of the advantages that consoles have over PC games is that they are can resell them easily. This is the beginning other publishers will do similar things to make that as difficult as possible.  

News Comments > Global Agenda Preorder Events
10. Re: Global Agenda Preorder Events Jan 22, 2010, 10:04 Overon

The publisher is just begging for this game to be pirated since its a relative unknown both in terms of recognition and gameplay.
If the game requires an account on their servers be created how can the game be pirated exactly?

News Comments > BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15
38. Re: BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15 Jan 21, 2010, 17:29 Overon

I wish they got their story straight. The way I interpret this is that this DRM shit is so fucked up that they don't even know what the fuck is going on.

How many more layers of DRM do you need? Steam (if you get from steam), gfwl, and securom. It's already ridiculous to have the steam overlay and the gfwl overlay at the same time.

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 Trailer
17. Re: Silent Hunter 5 Trailer Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 Overon

I remember the broken silent hunter 3 bug that ubisoft never fixed which broke multiplayer.

I remember there was something about silent hunter 4 that was as bad, but I forgot what that was. KilrathiAce do you remember?

News Comments > Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight
10. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 15:40 Overon

People shouldn't be making death threats against this guy or saying he's a pedophile without evidence. That just makes him stronger. It's counterproductive.

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Living Legends
4. Re: New MechWarrior: Living Legends Jan 18, 2010, 20:07 Overon

I played with it and it really isn't a very good game. The modeling of the mechs and implementation of the various things in the cry-engine is excellent. However, the game really has no objectives its just a glorified giant team death match, which can get extremely boring when one team decides they just want to camp in their spawn.
You would be absolutely right if this was not a beta. If you read their FAQ they talk about what the plans for the game are. It's not about deathmatch that's only in the beta, they plan to implement objectives, give them some time.

The "combined arms" balance is pretty shit too. Aerofighters are probably the best and you have less than 20% of the server in mechs. That feels like a huge screw up in a mechwarrior inspired game.
Aerofighters are not the best. There are some vehicles that have the vertical turret traverse of 85 degrees, designed for shooting aerial stuff down. Some mechs have higher vertical traverse than others. Mechs are vulnerable to aerospace, but aerospace are the weakest armored units in the game not counting the battle armor.

Its a decent start though, I could see them eventually turning it into a good game. It is just far from it at the moment. Biggest change would be to put some real objectives out in the battlefield, give people reasons to go to places.
Yes, it's a beta. The first major patch for the beta.

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator "Kill Moves" Trailer
16. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Jan 18, 2010, 20:02 Overon

Those kills were way too fast, show us a little bit more than a second of each kill I know this is the mtv generation but I would like to see a little more before and after.  

News Comments > Hellgate: London Returning
12. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 15:26 Overon

So do people get their lifetime subscriptions honored?  

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator "Kill Moves" Trailer
5. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Jan 18, 2010, 13:13 Overon

I want more continuous in game footage.  

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Living Legends
1. Re: New MechWarrior: Living Legends Jan 18, 2010, 13:13 Overon

The next best thing to a new mechwarrior game. But remember, this a combined arms mechwarrior, mech's may dominate the battlefield, but aerospace fighter/bombers, vtols, tanks, hovercraft, and battle armors can kill mechs and are no slouches. That's what makes this game unique, it's not just mechs. And a lot of people still don't understand that playing as a lance/star ie playing together performing different roles, makes your force far more effective. If you have a few friends, you can dominate the battlefield if you fight together against all the loan wolves. Even assault mechs go down quick from concentrated firepower especially against a leg. No leg means you topple over. And it's awesome to see a mech running full speed and then losing the leg and tumbling on the ground.

This is a beta so there are still a lot of missing content, but that's not the worst part. The worst part is that it's using Crysis (even though the developers have stated it will eventually move to crysis wars/crysis wardhead) engine and network which is not all that hot. So there are a lot of technical glitches that can be major for some people, crashing to desktop, sounds dropping off, and things warping around for people with bad connections. Though this patch definately improved on the crashing and the sounds dropping off and the lag. It's a lot of fun to play and it's exciting to see the game get better and beter.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2010, 16:18.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DLC Already in Development
3. Re: BioShock 2 DLC Already in Development Jan 17, 2010, 16:35 Overon

I wish people made the distinction between downloadable content that is free and paid downloadable content. Maybe the console gamers don't know, but there is also a free type, pioneered by PC games.  

News Comments > Updated Dark Void Demo, New Diary [Updated]
6. Re: Updated Dark Void Demo, New Diary Jan 16, 2010, 11:56 Overon

LoL, I can't even get it to install. It begins extraction of files and then says it doesn't have permission to install, rofl. I didn't know I was so strict as the admin for the computer, lol. Yeah I'll so far file this as, POS. It's unfortunate because I was willing to give this a try gameplay wise, but I can't even get that far. LAME!
Go to the extracted files, and run setup.exe.

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers
30. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 16, 2010, 03:20 Overon

I'm telling people that they should support studios that support their mode of thinking rather than wasting their time shouting at EA and Activision. We all know what motivates their decisions. And history tells us how effective is usually is. Works better if you vote with your business and wallet.
Yes voting with your wallet is the most effective thing. But complaining and presenting your points is the next best thing. Nowhere near as effective but it can only help your cause if your points are salient, it won't hurt.

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers
29. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 16, 2010, 03:16 Overon

I think it's pretty obvious that the people complaining about DICE's decisions are less likely to buy the game as a result. Stating the obvious is about as productive as raging against the avalanche. What it ultimately comes down to is this: You don't like some people's opinions and you want them to stop sharing them. That's the sole motivation of anyone who complains about whiners. If you want to share your opinion, that's fine. If your opinion essentially consists of you telling other people to shut up, that's not so fine.
Amen, it invariably comes down to that.

3936 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 69.
< Newer [ 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo