Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3890 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

News Comments > BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com
29. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 24, 2010, 20:04 Overon

I assume this applies to consoles as well? Publishers don't like when gamestop and the like make huge profits on used game sales. So they do this which makes it virtually impossible. So one of the advantages that consoles have over PC games is that they are can resell them easily. This is the beginning other publishers will do similar things to make that as difficult as possible.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Global Agenda Preorder Events
10. Re: Global Agenda Preorder Events Jan 22, 2010, 10:04 Overon

The publisher is just begging for this game to be pirated since its a relative unknown both in terms of recognition and gameplay.
If the game requires an account on their servers be created how can the game be pirated exactly?

News Comments > BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15
38. Re: BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15 Jan 21, 2010, 17:29 Overon

I wish they got their story straight. The way I interpret this is that this DRM shit is so fucked up that they don't even know what the fuck is going on.

How many more layers of DRM do you need? Steam (if you get from steam), gfwl, and securom. It's already ridiculous to have the steam overlay and the gfwl overlay at the same time.

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 Trailer
17. Re: Silent Hunter 5 Trailer Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 Overon

I remember the broken silent hunter 3 bug that ubisoft never fixed which broke multiplayer.

I remember there was something about silent hunter 4 that was as bad, but I forgot what that was. KilrathiAce do you remember?

News Comments > Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight
10. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 15:40 Overon

People shouldn't be making death threats against this guy or saying he's a pedophile without evidence. That just makes him stronger. It's counterproductive.

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Living Legends
4. Re: New MechWarrior: Living Legends Jan 18, 2010, 20:07 Overon

I played with it and it really isn't a very good game. The modeling of the mechs and implementation of the various things in the cry-engine is excellent. However, the game really has no objectives its just a glorified giant team death match, which can get extremely boring when one team decides they just want to camp in their spawn.
You would be absolutely right if this was not a beta. If you read their FAQ they talk about what the plans for the game are. It's not about deathmatch that's only in the beta, they plan to implement objectives, give them some time.

The "combined arms" balance is pretty shit too. Aerofighters are probably the best and you have less than 20% of the server in mechs. That feels like a huge screw up in a mechwarrior inspired game.
Aerofighters are not the best. There are some vehicles that have the vertical turret traverse of 85 degrees, designed for shooting aerial stuff down. Some mechs have higher vertical traverse than others. Mechs are vulnerable to aerospace, but aerospace are the weakest armored units in the game not counting the battle armor.

Its a decent start though, I could see them eventually turning it into a good game. It is just far from it at the moment. Biggest change would be to put some real objectives out in the battlefield, give people reasons to go to places.
Yes, it's a beta. The first major patch for the beta.

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator "Kill Moves" Trailer
16. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Jan 18, 2010, 20:02 Overon

Those kills were way too fast, show us a little bit more than a second of each kill I know this is the mtv generation but I would like to see a little more before and after.  

News Comments > Hellgate: London Returning
12. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 15:26 Overon

So do people get their lifetime subscriptions honored?  

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator "Kill Moves" Trailer
5. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Jan 18, 2010, 13:13 Overon

I want more continuous in game footage.  

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Living Legends
1. Re: New MechWarrior: Living Legends Jan 18, 2010, 13:13 Overon

The next best thing to a new mechwarrior game. But remember, this a combined arms mechwarrior, mech's may dominate the battlefield, but aerospace fighter/bombers, vtols, tanks, hovercraft, and battle armors can kill mechs and are no slouches. That's what makes this game unique, it's not just mechs. And a lot of people still don't understand that playing as a lance/star ie playing together performing different roles, makes your force far more effective. If you have a few friends, you can dominate the battlefield if you fight together against all the loan wolves. Even assault mechs go down quick from concentrated firepower especially against a leg. No leg means you topple over. And it's awesome to see a mech running full speed and then losing the leg and tumbling on the ground.

This is a beta so there are still a lot of missing content, but that's not the worst part. The worst part is that it's using Crysis (even though the developers have stated it will eventually move to crysis wars/crysis wardhead) engine and network which is not all that hot. So there are a lot of technical glitches that can be major for some people, crashing to desktop, sounds dropping off, and things warping around for people with bad connections. Though this patch definately improved on the crashing and the sounds dropping off and the lag. It's a lot of fun to play and it's exciting to see the game get better and beter.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2010, 16:18.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DLC Already in Development
3. Re: BioShock 2 DLC Already in Development Jan 17, 2010, 16:35 Overon

I wish people made the distinction between downloadable content that is free and paid downloadable content. Maybe the console gamers don't know, but there is also a free type, pioneered by PC games.  

News Comments > Updated Dark Void Demo, New Diary [Updated]
6. Re: Updated Dark Void Demo, New Diary Jan 16, 2010, 11:56 Overon

LoL, I can't even get it to install. It begins extraction of files and then says it doesn't have permission to install, rofl. I didn't know I was so strict as the admin for the computer, lol. Yeah I'll so far file this as, POS. It's unfortunate because I was willing to give this a try gameplay wise, but I can't even get that far. LAME!
Go to the extracted files, and run setup.exe.

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers
30. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 16, 2010, 03:20 Overon

I'm telling people that they should support studios that support their mode of thinking rather than wasting their time shouting at EA and Activision. We all know what motivates their decisions. And history tells us how effective is usually is. Works better if you vote with your business and wallet.
Yes voting with your wallet is the most effective thing. But complaining and presenting your points is the next best thing. Nowhere near as effective but it can only help your cause if your points are salient, it won't hurt.

29. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 16, 2010, 03:16 Overon

I think it's pretty obvious that the people complaining about DICE's decisions are less likely to buy the game as a result. Stating the obvious is about as productive as raging against the avalanche. What it ultimately comes down to is this: You don't like some people's opinions and you want them to stop sharing them. That's the sole motivation of anyone who complains about whiners. If you want to share your opinion, that's fine. If your opinion essentially consists of you telling other people to shut up, that's not so fine.
Amen, it invariably comes down to that.

28. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 16, 2010, 03:12 Overon

Saying "if you think you can do a better job, go out and do it," is not a fallacious argument at all. It's the foundation of the driving force called innovation that makes our country great.
Yes it is a fallacious argument. Because one does not have to produce a product in order to criticize a product. That argument is used to silence another person's opinion that another person disagrees with about a product or service. You can't produce something better so shut up. I don't have to make a movie in order to say whether a movie sucks or not. I don't have to make a car in order to say the care I have sucks or not. Yes one upping someone's product or service is innovation but clearly we are n.
'm about as old as anyone here, and as one of the original Quakeworld "old farts" I have had to put up with day zero aimbots, server XP hacks, and general lameness of "the kids" that think it's fun to piss people off. Part of me LIKES having a PC game out there that isn't open to people screwing around with it.
I played Quakeworld 3 wave ctf grappling hooks and all as well. Nice to see someone who knows what that is. Yes, just because I support consoles, and mods, and dedicated servers does not mean I support cheating. In fact I make the argument that these things will not substantially impact cheating. It will potentially make it harder to do, but it will happen. But then again thats' what punkbuster is for...more on that later.
And, with the COD, MoH, and BF brands enjoying *tremendous* popularity among casual gamers, it stands to reason that the larger franchises will cater more to the needs of that crowd rather than the few of us that throw insane amounts of time into modding an existing game. The reality is those that just play are far greater in number than those that mod. And with marquee titles, it doesn't take a lot to forever screw up the revenue stream with the majority with a single bad choice. Going by sales, it seems IW made the right choice for themselves.
With all due respect, you present a false dichotomy. You are saying you either cater to casual gamers or modders? That's ridiculous. You can have a game that is casual gamer friendly and have it open to modding. IW made the right choice? If they had pc dedicated servers, mod support etc, they still would have made as much money as they did without it. It would have made their game better.
As for Punkbuster: don't get me started. As much as I admire the work they've done to cut back on cheating, the software *still* considers most heuristic AV programs as a "cheat." To this day, PB autokicks you for protecting your computer with PC Tools Threatfire. Additionally, in case you didn't read the EULA, Evenbalance is allowed to grope through and inventory anything and everything on your machine in order to search for cheat programs. That doesn't sound too secure to me by any definition of the word (maybe that's why they don't like those Heuristic AV programs). While not perfect, VAC seems far more robust and far less intrusive. And while it doesn't kick instantly, when the reasoning was explained to me, I totally understood as to why it was done this way. The added "incentive" of a permaban of all your games from online play if you're caught cheating probably doesn't hurt either.
Yes EULA sounds creepy and you make it sound like there is this conspiracy by evenbalance. Punkbuster protects itself from programs that may mess with its memory or mess with it's operations. You want a program that is designed to detect hacks to do this. Also in order to protect itself, it has do what the EULA says it does. The altnerative is a weaker hack detection program. Hacks mess with punkbuster to hide themselves from detection. You make it sound like they copy your credit card numbers or your documents.

13. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 22:31 Overon

I hate to break it to you, but you better start adapting or you're just going to be miserable and spread that misery in places like this. I'm not saying we need to completely bend over, but their has to be give and take. Things aren't how they used to be in PC gaming. People need to realize that. I'm just happy a company like DICE recognizes that the industry is changing, yet are willing to make compromises to give people what they want and still guard their product. It sure beats what IW has done lately. No compromise, whatsoever.
My opinions are going to be voiced in forums such as this and my "misery" will be "spread." That's why forums exist for feedback. My arguments tend to be backed up by valid reasons, I'm not just shitting on a game without explaining why.
You mention compromises and give and take philosophy. For PC FPS games I'm used to public dedicated servers, console support, free mod tools, free mods for about a decade. Dice are not going to deliver on these. They are delivering a PC FPS game though which I would have to pay for to play online. I give them money they give me an PFS game and some patches (unknown what patch support for PC will be like). Where is the compromise here exactly? Where is the give and take you refer to? Am I just supposed to grateful that they are releasing an FPS for the PC? Not good enough.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 22:31.

6. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 17:32 Overon

The ignorance of some of you gamers is unbelievable at times. Tell you what, why don't YOU guys go ahead and develop a completely and utterly secure, unhackable software package that you intend to distribute to thousands of people. Nevermind that a portion of these people's sole intention is to hack it.
The age old "if you don't like what they are doing, why don't you go out and make a game yourself" gambit. It's a fallacious argument.
God forbid someone takes necessary steps to ensure a product that they've invested millions of dollars into is as secure as they can make it. At the same time, doing what they can to satisfy their consumer base.
But isn't that what punkbuster is for? It's going to be in Bad Company 2. We old farts have, for over a decade, gotten used to first person shooters (they started on PC you know) being released on the PC with mod support, mod tools, and a public dedicated server package. Call us crazy, but when you start releasing first person shooters on the PC and you remove stuff like this, us old farts are going to get cranky. What if someone made a 360 game without any DLC? Wouldn't the console gamers scream bluddy murder, after all they have gotten used to it. They have certain expectations.

The lowest common denominator when it comes to multiplatfrom first person shooters is the console. Thus these developers are trying to get PC fps players to change their expectations to be more inline with console fps player's expectations: pay dlc, no mods, no mod tools, and no dedicated server (or no publicly released dedicated servers).

I'm not going to accept it.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 17:34.

1. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 16:37 Overon

Of course, they are doing it to protect the game's integrity on PC. How about spending the time to properly code the game, that will go a long way to protecting the game's integrity.

So let's take that statement at their word. Doesn't that imply that realize that what they have written is in secure and hackable? That's not a good implication.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000 Jan 15, 2010, 15:40 Overon

Come on, release it for free. Not 5 bucks, free. It's a 10 year old game.  

News Comments > Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return
3. Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return Jan 15, 2010, 10:45 Overon

Or they should release the game for free to build buzz for the next game.  

3890 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 67.
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo