Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3906 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Online Midnight Madness
10. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 1, 2010, 16:11 Overon

I think this game is madness to pay for, but of course that's just my uninformed opinion. At least it's not a strong uninformed opinion.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On TF2 Cheaters
4. Re: On TF2 Cheaters Jan 31, 2010, 16:14 Overon

It shouldn't be hard to figure out the criteria of what's considered cheating and then throw out those number's contribution to the end results and see if the soldier still won.  

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC Beta Footage
27. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC Beta Footage Jan 31, 2010, 15:30 Overon

The graphics and sound look and sound great. I like the destructable terrain. But I am not a fan of unloading half a clip into an enemy in a modern warfare setting nor circle strafing and spamming fire. Leave that shit to games like Quake. It doesn't belong in this type of game and is ridiculous. Parts of the video show just how many hits it takes to kill someone. If you see him first he should be dead first if all other things are equal. That's the rule that games like this should go by. And if that seems like a frustrating "die too quick" game then I can tell you that if you add appropriate recoil, that problem goes away. But realistic recoil with a analog controller for a console first person shooter is an anathema.

That video convinced me with some other information I have read, means Battlefield Bad Company 2 is a no go for me.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2010, 15:44.

News Comments > BioWare Making Dragon Age II "Visually Super Hot"
39. Re: BioWare Making Dragon Age 2 Jan 31, 2010, 14:20 Overon

Don't worry guys, the Witcher 2 will come out for those that crave a more computer rpg style game:
http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/955.html

News Comments > PC Return to Ostagar for Dragon Age Released
4. Re: PC Return to Ostagar for Dragon Age Released Jan 30, 2010, 16:29 Overon

How many hours of content is the dlc?  

News Comments > AvP Videos
16. Re: PC? Jan 29, 2010, 10:07 Overon

I know the videos are not high quality but it still apears to me that the textures are low resolution and don't look very good.

In the marine videos the game guides you by the nose. I can understand the arrow telling you where to go on the motion tracker, but those sequare reticules telling you exactly where to enter or which item to use, that is going way too far. It's like having a win button. The voice acting is mediocre, no sense of urgency, it's jarring and is a impedenment to immersion. The auto regenerating health as a marine is a joke. The aliens move slow and take way too many shots to take down and they look to be poorly animated, like they do not have enough animations frames resulting in jerky movement.
Everyone calls you "rookie" which is so cliche. How many first person shooters do this?

The in the xenomorph gameplay. The AI marines don't use a motion tracker? They never look up? They are pretty stupid. Going on the ceiling seems the default win button thing to do as a xenomorph.

About the predator gameplay. The AI marines keep repeating the same 2 canned cheesy lines of badly delivered dialogue over and over, just watch and listen and you will see what I mean.

I don't like the gameplay console design where they keep telling you what buttons to press all the time. Teach the player once, have them practice, and then step telling them what buttons to press and when to press them. When the xenomorph gets close to the marine, the LB+RB graphic keeps popping up for the marine player. We get it, that's the melee "get off me xenomorph" button, no need to keep flashing it. If they keep flashing what to do, they might as well just auto do it for you. Is this a "simon says" game?

I'm somewhat disappointed but not surprised with some of the design decisions.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2010, 10:11.

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 CTD Workaround
2. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 CTD Workaround Jan 28, 2010, 21:59 Overon

What aspects of consolitis does the beta have and what aspects of a PC game?  

News Comments > id: Zenimax Deal Has "Worked Out Really Well"
8. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has Jan 28, 2010, 21:49 Overon

These interviews, come on guys. Exercise some skeptical thinking. Who is going to badmouth their boss in a public interview? If he has anything negative to say he won't say it. Fuck all the speculation, when the final product is revealed we will see how well it was designed for the PC.

ID can make games, they can write code, and if they are given time they are capable of making Rage good on the PC. I don't think anyone should doubt that they are capable. I will see it when they release it and then I will judge it.

But the quote form the 2nd post has be troubled. But not too troubled. We will see the fruits of their labor soon enough.

News Comments > Apple iPad Announced
58. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:00 Overon

I hope there are notifications of like emails or finished downloads etc.  

55. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 19:26 Overon

Thanks Jansen, that stylus I thought it had is really just the side view showing it's thickness. I feel not smart.

About the multi tasking. If the device saves the state of an app and then lets you recall it very quickly then that's acceptable to me.

How big are the average apps for the iphone, in other words what are the downsides of a 16 GB version, how much of that is used as RAM like and how much of it can have user data put on?

News Comments > BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers
15. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:14 Overon

What the hell is happening to PC gaming. It's devolving right before our eyes. I hope this is not a trend of things to come, no dedicated servers or no publicly released dedicated servers. It's madness, how can people accept this?  

52. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 18:35 Overon

I have never bought an apple product in my life. I don't have a laptop or netbook, only a desktop PC. I'm looking for a portable device like this, especially for reading pdf and ebooks. I realize that for the price of this device you can get more capable netbooks. I also realize that the hardware in the device and the software does not justify the price of the device. However netbooks cannot do e-books as well as the ipad and you can't get ebooks at a discounted price like those offered in the apple ibook store. However, I don't like being tied down to any service and would like to install stuff outside of the apple app store (jail break the ipad if possible). It support epub format for ebooks which is necessary for me to purchase it. Is there pdf support? It does come with a usb connector to hook up to my pc for example for charging and moving over data like some of the reading material I have.

It comes with a stylus but where is the handwriting recognition, I haven't heard anything about handwriting recognition. And the lack of multitasking is the single biggest disappointment. That is just insane not to have that, there is no technical or battery reason why there is no multitasking support. Also since there is no multitasking, are there going to be notifications if you get an email while reading a book? Or will you have to kill the video, go into email, check it and restart the video?

Also if anyone thinks this is going to be a failure like the Apple Newton, they are crazy. Apple has a whole string of successful hardware products in modern times, what was their last failure hardware product? This thing will sell like all of their recent hardware products. Nobody else could charge the amount that apple is charging for this device and get away with it.

I wonder if the battery is user replaceable but I doubt it. Also one thing I hate about apple, is that they keep releasing revisions every 6 months or so, and if they are just software changes, would it kill them to add those software changes to those people have an older version of the device? Let's say I buy a ipad, and then 6 months later they come out with an OS update and an new ipad revision that does multitasking. Why not release the OS update to my ipad so it can do multitasking as well. It's not like there needs to be different or additional hardware in order to to multitasking.

I have considered a kindle or a nook especially because of the more capable android OS it uses, but a nice touch screen and internet browsing is compelling to have to someone like me without a portable latpop or netbook.

I hope the ibook store has comics, newspapers, magazines, and textbooks, not just books.

The lack of flash support is crazy. Unfortunately so many places uses flash. I know that html 5 video is coming but there is no agreement on which encoder to use so that won't help the ipad unless content makers choose to use h264 which apple supports.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 18:53.

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 SecuROM DRM Details
21. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 SecuROM DRM Details Jan 27, 2010, 18:04 Overon

Something to note though, the 'Tages" system was able to stave off cracks for the Avatar game for several weeks which was enough to get the publisher past the peak selling period.
Avatar on PC uses Solidshield not Tages. Game was released Dec 1st and my research indicates it was cracked and released on January 14th, quite a long peak selling point. This is the exception to most game I realize.

People keep forgetting that DRM does 2 main things:

1) It stops casual piracy and where people just lend the game cd to others and as a consequence virtually destroys the resale market.
2) It hinders cracking attempts thereby increasing the likelihood that a game will be unreleased by pirate groups during the peak buying time of the initial days of the release.

All DRM that is used for PC games does 1) well. But 2) is another story. Big releases like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age origins were cracked and released by pirate groups before their release dates.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 18:10.

News Comments > Microsoft Points Class Action Lawsuit
11. Re: Microsoft Points Class Action Lawsuit Jan 26, 2010, 15:37 Overon

Microsoft has seen the research and the evidence understands that creating an intermediary currency of points allows them to hide the actual popular currency cost so that people who do not put in the effort to do basic math get taken advantage of. Also selling the points in it in blocks, means that points are left over, and it's not like having change left over, you can't use them. It's the classic buy a gift card for 50 bucks and buy something for 39.99 plus tax and anything left over you don't use and becomes free money to the store that issued the gift card.

They are taking advantage of people's psychology and their ignorane or indifference to doing basic math.

News Comments > Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication
8. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:27 Overon

Imagine this, a ubisoft game that requires login into their drm online system, and a login to games for windows live, playing over a steam login. Like a rotten oninon, you peal back the layers and it keeps stinking.  

News Comments > On Steam Exchange Rates
6. Re: On Steam Exchange Rates Jan 24, 2010, 20:08 Overon

Don't forget that the standard consumer electronics warranty is 2 years in Europe as opposed to a year in the USA so that explains at least part of the higher cost. But I'm talking about consumer electronics not games.  

News Comments > BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com
29. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 24, 2010, 20:04 Overon

I assume this applies to consoles as well? Publishers don't like when gamestop and the like make huge profits on used game sales. So they do this which makes it virtually impossible. So one of the advantages that consoles have over PC games is that they are can resell them easily. This is the beginning other publishers will do similar things to make that as difficult as possible.  

News Comments > Global Agenda Preorder Events
10. Re: Global Agenda Preorder Events Jan 22, 2010, 10:04 Overon

The publisher is just begging for this game to be pirated since its a relative unknown both in terms of recognition and gameplay.
If the game requires an account on their servers be created how can the game be pirated exactly?

News Comments > BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15
38. Re: BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15 Jan 21, 2010, 17:29 Overon

I wish they got their story straight. The way I interpret this is that this DRM shit is so fucked up that they don't even know what the fuck is going on.

How many more layers of DRM do you need? Steam (if you get from steam), gfwl, and securom. It's already ridiculous to have the steam overlay and the gfwl overlay at the same time.

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 Trailer
17. Re: Silent Hunter 5 Trailer Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 Overon

I remember the broken silent hunter 3 bug that ubisoft never fixed which broke multiplayer.

I remember there was something about silent hunter 4 that was as bad, but I forgot what that was. KilrathiAce do you remember?

3906 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 67.
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo