Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3870 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

News Comments > The Saboteur Final Patch Planned
2. Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned Jan 15, 2010, 10:44 Overon

Don't buy a game from a studio that is about to be closed or is closed already.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Console in PC Bad Company 2
23. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 01:27 Overon

So whose left who can make a good first person shooter designed for the PC? Valve?  

News Comments > No Console in PC Bad Company 2
15. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 20:31 Overon

Don't forget that there will be no publicly released dedicated servers and that there won't be any released mod tools for bad company 2 as well:

"Mod Tools: There will not be mod tools for BFBC2. However a majority of the the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers.

Public Server Files: We will not distribute these publicly. There are many factors for why we have decided this with the biggest factor being security & integrity of our game & Dedicated Servers."
From http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/Default.aspx##

It's sounding more and more like a PC game every announcement. Fuck Infinity Ward and fuck DICE. They owe their beginnings to PC gamers in Call of Duty and Battlefield series and now they just fuck us. Fuck them.

News Comments > Dark Void PC Demo [Updated]
15. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 14, 2010, 18:11 Overon

siapnar wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 18:06:
I'm surprised you gave it praise at the end, Overon. I was totally expecting this game to suck balls.

Well I gave the demo a thumbs up and said it was worth trying. Though the thing with resolutions being cropped and not full screen bothers me.

13. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 14, 2010, 16:22 Overon

Ant wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 16:15:
I think the reason for using zip or self extraction is because some administrators can't configure their Web server's MIME correctly.
Even so, they could have created a non compressed 7-zip file that does not use any compression and it would extract quickly.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 16:24.

10. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 15:42 Overon

Okay time for the mini review.

I like to do my mini reviews by saying what is wrong, not what is right. It's what is wrong with the game that will decide whether you want to get it or whether it's a deal breaker. You can assume that if I don't mention something then that means it's okay.

Being a fileplanet "exclusive" does not make a good first impression. I waited 37 minutes in a queue to be able to download it. Damn fileplanet wait queues and "exclusivity." When installing the demo, it uses a 7-zip based self extracting exe that takes a bit to fully extract the install files. The sad thing is that the reasons it takes a little bit of time is because some numbnutz decided to actually attempt to compress the install files, and the net result is that after extraction the total file size is the same as the 7-zip compressed self extracting exe. Hard to compress already well compressed files. So there is no gain from the compression. All the compression did is increase the time it takes to decompress to get to the install files. Furthermore, when you extract the install files, the setup.exe does not launch automatically. You have to launch it manually to install. Very unprofessional. They should have let some knowledgeable IT guys handle do this right.

After installation, after an unskippable, capcom logo, air tight developer log, ureal technology log, nvidia logo, alienware logo I was able to select casual, normal, or hardore difficulty. Looks like people will be deleting/renaming the movie files or running startup commands to skip the intros.

Now I'm sure everyone wants to know if this demo is a half assed PC port or not. This game uses the Unreal 3 engine. This is good. The reason is that all the graphical and sound and control settings are in text files that you can edit. While in game, you have to hit escape and go into the resolution, sound, and graphics setting, and controls menu. More on that later.

Graphics are decent and passable. You don't need a fast computer to run this game. I have a core 2 duo 6600, 8800gt 512 RAM, Windows XP, 2 GB RAM running on everything high and 1680x1050. However not properly supporting 1680x1050 widescreen is unacceptable (that's my native monitor display resolution). The game letterboxes that resolution. I don't understand why it does this. I'm going to try to run other widescreen resolution to see if this is a widescreen issue and edit my mini review appropriately. Okay no matter what resolution I select it's letterboxed. Somethings is messed up.

The controls are editable in game after hitting escape. My mouse speed is way too high and inverted when I didn't want it to be so I was able to adjust that. The game only uses mouse 1, mouse 2, and the scroll wheel. I have additional buttons on the mouse and I would have to edit ini files to get them working probably. The game uses wasd for movement, q for howvering and flying, e for use and melee attack and getting into a quicktime like events where you pound some buttons, and c for getting into cover, and r for reload. In the air you can turob, you can slow down, you can roll left and roll right, do barrel roles and quick changes of direction. Of course once I plugged in my xbox 360 controller, controls work well by default.

The game mechanics are what's pretty damn good. You have your on the ground fps with a gears of war style cover system. You can shoot blinded over cover, you can throw and prime grenades. You can hover and shoot your weapon. You can fly and shoot from your jetpack. The weapons are upgradable and jetpack is too but not in the demo.

I am giving the demo a thumbs up it's worth trying out. It's got that vertical feeling that only games like tribes have had for me. And since I am a big fan of z-axis movement in a fps, I tended to like this demo. Though I wish at the end they let you fight the boss character, that would have made the demo more representative of the final game.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 17:04.

6. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 12:57 Overon

I downloaded it form file planet. After you start the .exe it just extracts the files, you have to launch the setup.exe manually. It's pretty stupid to compress these files into a self extracting .exe, since the compressed file is no smaller than the extracted files, especially since the setup.exe is not launched automatically.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 13:01.

1. Re: Dark Void 2 PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 11:17 Overon

Mirrors not allowed. Okay. Can't wait for the mirrors. Any mirrors yet?  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Patched
4. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Patched Jan 14, 2010, 01:03 Overon

Didn't you ehar someone figured out how to hack a developer consle and they ahve dedicated server like control. Is that now broken intentionally by infinity ward?

News Comments > Ex-EA Exec: "EA is in the Wrong Business"
2. Re: Ex-EA Exec: Jan 13, 2010, 23:23 Overon

Game as a service is the more general software as a service. Software is not a fucking service and I will never agree to software a service. I know why some developers/publishers want the software to be a service because of the guaranteed revenue stream.  

News Comments > Transformers: War for Cybertron Details and Trailer
3. Re: Transformers: War for Cybertron Details and Trailer Jan 13, 2010, 15:58 Overon

Yeah the first one was so badass, the 2nd one must be badass as well. Sarcasm.

It's not difficult for a developer to produce a slick pre-rendered cutscene and should never be used to judge the game. Show me gameplay footage.

News Comments > Transformers: War for Cybertron Details and Trailer
2. Re: Transformers: War for Cybertron Details and Trailer Jan 13, 2010, 15:54 Overon

Meh.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2010, 16:19.

News Comments > 1C: Digital Distribution to Rule PC Next Year
1. Re: 1C: Digital Distribution to Rule PC Next Year Jan 13, 2010, 15:53 Overon

Margins for PC games are better than for console games? How can that be true and we yet we see a console centered focus in the gaming industry.  

News Comments > On BioShock 2 Vita-Chambers and Backtracking
2. Re: On BioShock 2 Vita-Chambers and Backtracking Jan 13, 2010, 12:56 Overon

Nothing wrong with backtracking. It lets you explore the area IF YOU SO CHOOSE. But once again, we can thank consoles and their limited RAM for their lowest common denominator standards that spill over to the PC version as well. But it's not a huge deal.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Subject Zero Trailer
6. Re: Mass Effect 2 Subject Zero Trailer Jan 11, 2010, 20:28 Overon

She's tatooed, agressive, and in your face! She's what teenyboppers want!  

News Comments > Irrational Games Name Revived
17. Re: Irrational Games Name Revived Jan 9, 2010, 02:21 Overon

Tribes Vengeance can't by itself hurt the reputation for quality games that Irrational Games has earned, I never wanted to imply that with my post. I'm still bitter about Tribes Vengeance however.  

News Comments > Rockstar San Diego Revolt
10. Re: Rockstar San Diego Revolt Jan 8, 2010, 23:25 Overon

I find it comical how some of you think you have the facts. You are so certain. Your certainty is completely unjustified. How can you be so certain?  

News Comments > Irrational Games Name Revived
1. Re: Irrational Games Name Revived Jan 8, 2010, 22:27 Overon

Don't forget the travesty of Tribe Vengeance, the game that killed the Tribes franchise. To this day there are features in Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 that multiplayer games today do not even have. Like 64 man servers, no problem.  

News Comments > EA Server Shutdown Plans
40. Re: EA Server Shutdown Plans Jan 4, 2010, 12:10 Overon

At first while going down the list, I was trying to find a reasonable reason for the decision. I thought I had that reason: maybe there are too few people playing these games. But then I saw madden 09 x360 and ps3 ( there is no way that too few people are playing those games) and unless it's a typo, I just can't believe it. It really makes EA look like the pits.  

News Comments > OnLive Presentation
25. Re: OnLive Presentation Dec 30, 2009, 17:30 Overon

Can I be skeptical and optimistic at the same time? Yes if by skeptical I mean "wanting evidence before deciding." I want to see more evidence with the conditions of the demonstration made clear for everyone. Transparency is key.

80 ms of total lag is not bad, but of course it depends on what kind of game you are playing.

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2009, 17:32.

3870 Comments. 194 pages. Viewing page 67.
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo