Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3936 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

News Comments > PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues
29. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 14:57 Overon

I guess I should count myself fortunate, I am having NONE of the issues being described here. Controls seem solid, no aspect ratio weirdness, game runs very smoothly for me.
Maybe you don't understand the issues. On the windows desktop when I move my mouse it responds quickly. When I am on the Bioshock 2 title screen and options, the mouse movement does not respond the same as in the desktop. The mouse has a slight delay when I move, when I stop moving it, it continues to move. We are talking about tenths of a second delays but they are definately noticeable. That's why it it can be described as sluggish and not responsive.
In game, my mouse movement is way too fast, even on the 1 setting in the menus. I supposed if I set my mouse speed lower on the deksotp, it should maybe translate into game, but I'm not sure. I would rather slow down the mouse movement in game and not touch my desktop mouse speed. My mouse acceleration is off in game and I have vsynch turned off in game.

About the widescreen. You are just misinformed. If you have a widescreen 16:10 monitor (you would if you are playing at 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 reolution) the game cuts off some the area. If you just educate yourself by looking at the screenshots compareing 4:3 resolutions to 16:10 resolutions you would see the problem.

The frames per second are high for me so I see the game as smooth as well, but as I said before the mouse movement is too fast.

See here to inform yourself:
http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18374

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 16:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues
23. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 14:11 Overon

The decision was made early on not to support controllers at all in order to ensure that we got the mouse and keyboard control absolutely right.
That's that Elizabeth woman speaking above. I love the irony of her post. Mouse cursor movement around the titlescreen of the game and the menus is laggy. Once in game, turning off the mouse acceleration and setting mouse speed to 1, the mouse is still too fast. People suggest editing an ini file to lower the mouse speed even more. How exactly does that qualify as "...ensure that we got the mouse and keyboard control absolutely right."
They didn't take the time to implement mouse support correctly and they repeated the same widescreen mistake they made with bioshock 1. It does not bode well for their competence.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 14:20.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2
37. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 19:47 Overon

It's hard not to take this as another insult to pc gamers. It's hard not to feel like a victim here. If everyone remember bioshock 1 fucked up the display for pc gamers exactly in the same ways as bioshock 2. It really makes you wonder how this could have happened again.  

News Comments > Metro 2033 Limited Edition Revealed
1. Re: Metro 2033 Limited Edition Revealed Feb 9, 2010, 11:18 Overon

The automatic shotgun will be available to the people that 1) get the limited edition 2) pirate it.  

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2
1. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Feb 8, 2010, 21:06 Overon

PC dead space 1 but no dead space 2?

Is there anyone left who likes EA?

News Comments > Retail Ninja Blade Gold
3. Re: must be the sequel to Feb 8, 2010, 13:00 Overon

With such a low metacritic and gamesranking rating, I'm not interested there are too many other games that are far better.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
8. Re: Safety Dance Feb 8, 2010, 10:23 Overon

jdreyer:
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=3073#more-3073

Remember that in science one study that shows a correlation is not enough. More studies are needed to confirm the results. Let me draw an analogy with smoking and cherry picking your evidence, ie chery picking your studies. The tabacco industry was able to cite scientific studies that showed no or weak correlation between smoking and lung cancer. However these were the minority. Over time, the studies kept piling on that smoking does cause lung cancer which completely overshadowed the few that showed little to no correlation.
You see a tree in a forest, it is white, and you draw the conclusion that the forest is white. However in reality it is not, the forest is dark, there are far more dark trees than white trees in this forest. You can't cherry pick your evidence.

In order to establish causation there is something called the "hills criteria of causation" which is really the golden standard for establishing something causes something else in science. See here: http://www.drabruzzi.com/hills_criteria_of_causation.htm

If you look at the points, the current studies that show a positive correlation between cell phone emf and cancers are really weak and do not come close to meeting the points in hills criteria for causations. That's not to say that future studies and more studies will not, it's just saying that currently, a resonable person would conclude that based on the scientific evidenece cell phone emf fields do not cause cancer.

About the Alzheimer's you mentioned:
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=3666

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 10:48.

News Comments > Safety Dance
4. Re: Safety Dance Feb 7, 2010, 23:23 Overon

The current state of the scientific evidence is that cell phones and the type of em they emit are not harmful to humans.  

News Comments > PC Mass Effect 2 Dual Core Fix
8. Re: Game Reviews Feb 6, 2010, 15:12 Overon

The problem apparently is the slower loading when moving between decks of the normandy, not any other location loading.  

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Server Administration Explained
5. Re: Bad Company 2 Server Administration Explained Feb 5, 2010, 14:42 Overon

They are now outsourcing development to the end users. This is precious, is this not unprecedented, a dev telling people that they will publish the protocol specification so that modders can create their own server admin tools.

I'm sure there will be a few takers though.

News Comments > Metro 2033 Trailer
1. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer Feb 5, 2010, 14:40 Overon

So I read that this is a more linear 10 hour tighter story stalker like game (though not sanboxed, linear) made by some people that worked on stalker in one of the preview links on bluesnews.  

News Comments > AvP Demo Patched
10. Re: hmmm.... Feb 5, 2010, 13:46 Overon

They need to release a patch that does not hide the fact one player has a 0 ping since he/she is hosting the match. The demo doesn't even give you console style cell phone bars as a measure of ping. It does away with it completely. This why you don't know how good your ping is to the peer to peer host.

Also the mic situation is out of control, in a pc game they need to implement PUSH TO TALK. I can hear everything people say because they don't turn off their mic. This isn't xbox 360. But there is more, in the demo you can't mute people.

PC: ping NUMBERS in milliseconds. Too complicated numbers are hard. Consoles cell phone bars with color as a ping represenation. Too complicated for AVP demo. Need to hide the fact that's it peer to peer multiplayer in the demo. Do away with any ping indicator at all.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 13:53.

News Comments > Ubisoft Teasing "Big Announcement"
4. Re: Ubisoft Teasing Feb 5, 2010, 13:42 Overon

Big announcement:
Ubisoft going out of business sale. Everything must go: carpeting, furniture, coke machine, you name it's going.

News Comments > System Shock Modification
17. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 10:05 Overon

Thief.  

News Comments > System Shock Modification
5. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 22:00 Overon

I was late on the system shock train. I played system shock 2 initially and then I stopped because the respawning enemies were way too frequent and hurt my enjoyment of the game. Then a patch came out that virtually eliminated the respawning and I played system shock 2 again and finished it. I loved the ending which leaves System Shock 3 just asking to be made. I never played System Shock 1.

EA supposedly has the rights to the System Shock franchise. IF they ever create a system shock 3 it will be a console centered game I speculate. System Shock and System Shock 2 were 100% PC centered game and a breath of fresh air when they were released. There was nothing like them.

Shodan continues to be the best female antagonist in any game ever made:
"Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

When I hear audio of the above quote, it sends a chill up my spine. Few games have had such physical reaction as System Shock and System Shock 2.

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Sea Server Merges
1. Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea Server Merges Feb 4, 2010, 21:09 Overon

And hence another step closer to dumping the game.  

News Comments > The Grinder to PCs
3. Re: The Grinder to PCs Feb 4, 2010, 21:08 Overon

Looks like low polygon graphics. But maybe that atmosphere is there. I wish they showed continuous game footage. Anyone can make a game look good with quick cuts.  

News Comments > The Grinder to PCs
2. Re: The Grinder to PCs Feb 4, 2010, 21:06 Overon

You are a poet.  

News Comments > AvP Demo Released Early
53. Re: well.... Feb 4, 2010, 20:41 Overon

So if you get the "host has left" message doesn't that mean it's peer to peer? If you get that message, does the game even transition to a new host or does the game end?

I have vsynch off and the mouse controls still feel laggy. My riva tuner based fps display shows good fps so it's not my fps.

News Comments > THQ on Warhammer 40K MMOG
26. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Feb 4, 2010, 18:33 Overon

They need to have heavy use of the fiction. The fiction is too interesting to just use it as windows dressing.  

3936 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 67.
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo