Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3882 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator "Kill Moves" Trailer
5. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Jan 18, 2010, 13:13 Overon

I want more continuous in game footage.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Living Legends
1. Re: New MechWarrior: Living Legends Jan 18, 2010, 13:13 Overon

The next best thing to a new mechwarrior game. But remember, this a combined arms mechwarrior, mech's may dominate the battlefield, but aerospace fighter/bombers, vtols, tanks, hovercraft, and battle armors can kill mechs and are no slouches. That's what makes this game unique, it's not just mechs. And a lot of people still don't understand that playing as a lance/star ie playing together performing different roles, makes your force far more effective. If you have a few friends, you can dominate the battlefield if you fight together against all the loan wolves. Even assault mechs go down quick from concentrated firepower especially against a leg. No leg means you topple over. And it's awesome to see a mech running full speed and then losing the leg and tumbling on the ground.

This is a beta so there are still a lot of missing content, but that's not the worst part. The worst part is that it's using Crysis (even though the developers have stated it will eventually move to crysis wars/crysis wardhead) engine and network which is not all that hot. So there are a lot of technical glitches that can be major for some people, crashing to desktop, sounds dropping off, and things warping around for people with bad connections. Though this patch definately improved on the crashing and the sounds dropping off and the lag. It's a lot of fun to play and it's exciting to see the game get better and beter.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2010, 16:18.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DLC Already in Development
3. Re: BioShock 2 DLC Already in Development Jan 17, 2010, 16:35 Overon

I wish people made the distinction between downloadable content that is free and paid downloadable content. Maybe the console gamers don't know, but there is also a free type, pioneered by PC games.  

News Comments > Updated Dark Void Demo, New Diary [Updated]
6. Re: Updated Dark Void Demo, New Diary Jan 16, 2010, 11:56 Overon

LoL, I can't even get it to install. It begins extraction of files and then says it doesn't have permission to install, rofl. I didn't know I was so strict as the admin for the computer, lol. Yeah I'll so far file this as, POS. It's unfortunate because I was willing to give this a try gameplay wise, but I can't even get that far. LAME!
Go to the extracted files, and run setup.exe.

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers
30. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 16, 2010, 03:20 Overon

I'm telling people that they should support studios that support their mode of thinking rather than wasting their time shouting at EA and Activision. We all know what motivates their decisions. And history tells us how effective is usually is. Works better if you vote with your business and wallet.
Yes voting with your wallet is the most effective thing. But complaining and presenting your points is the next best thing. Nowhere near as effective but it can only help your cause if your points are salient, it won't hurt.

29. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 16, 2010, 03:16 Overon

I think it's pretty obvious that the people complaining about DICE's decisions are less likely to buy the game as a result. Stating the obvious is about as productive as raging against the avalanche. What it ultimately comes down to is this: You don't like some people's opinions and you want them to stop sharing them. That's the sole motivation of anyone who complains about whiners. If you want to share your opinion, that's fine. If your opinion essentially consists of you telling other people to shut up, that's not so fine.
Amen, it invariably comes down to that.

28. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 16, 2010, 03:12 Overon

Saying "if you think you can do a better job, go out and do it," is not a fallacious argument at all. It's the foundation of the driving force called innovation that makes our country great.
Yes it is a fallacious argument. Because one does not have to produce a product in order to criticize a product. That argument is used to silence another person's opinion that another person disagrees with about a product or service. You can't produce something better so shut up. I don't have to make a movie in order to say whether a movie sucks or not. I don't have to make a car in order to say the care I have sucks or not. Yes one upping someone's product or service is innovation but clearly we are n.
'm about as old as anyone here, and as one of the original Quakeworld "old farts" I have had to put up with day zero aimbots, server XP hacks, and general lameness of "the kids" that think it's fun to piss people off. Part of me LIKES having a PC game out there that isn't open to people screwing around with it.
I played Quakeworld 3 wave ctf grappling hooks and all as well. Nice to see someone who knows what that is. Yes, just because I support consoles, and mods, and dedicated servers does not mean I support cheating. In fact I make the argument that these things will not substantially impact cheating. It will potentially make it harder to do, but it will happen. But then again thats' what punkbuster is for...more on that later.
And, with the COD, MoH, and BF brands enjoying *tremendous* popularity among casual gamers, it stands to reason that the larger franchises will cater more to the needs of that crowd rather than the few of us that throw insane amounts of time into modding an existing game. The reality is those that just play are far greater in number than those that mod. And with marquee titles, it doesn't take a lot to forever screw up the revenue stream with the majority with a single bad choice. Going by sales, it seems IW made the right choice for themselves.
With all due respect, you present a false dichotomy. You are saying you either cater to casual gamers or modders? That's ridiculous. You can have a game that is casual gamer friendly and have it open to modding. IW made the right choice? If they had pc dedicated servers, mod support etc, they still would have made as much money as they did without it. It would have made their game better.
As for Punkbuster: don't get me started. As much as I admire the work they've done to cut back on cheating, the software *still* considers most heuristic AV programs as a "cheat." To this day, PB autokicks you for protecting your computer with PC Tools Threatfire. Additionally, in case you didn't read the EULA, Evenbalance is allowed to grope through and inventory anything and everything on your machine in order to search for cheat programs. That doesn't sound too secure to me by any definition of the word (maybe that's why they don't like those Heuristic AV programs). While not perfect, VAC seems far more robust and far less intrusive. And while it doesn't kick instantly, when the reasoning was explained to me, I totally understood as to why it was done this way. The added "incentive" of a permaban of all your games from online play if you're caught cheating probably doesn't hurt either.
Yes EULA sounds creepy and you make it sound like there is this conspiracy by evenbalance. Punkbuster protects itself from programs that may mess with its memory or mess with it's operations. You want a program that is designed to detect hacks to do this. Also in order to protect itself, it has do what the EULA says it does. The altnerative is a weaker hack detection program. Hacks mess with punkbuster to hide themselves from detection. You make it sound like they copy your credit card numbers or your documents.

13. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 22:31 Overon

I hate to break it to you, but you better start adapting or you're just going to be miserable and spread that misery in places like this. I'm not saying we need to completely bend over, but their has to be give and take. Things aren't how they used to be in PC gaming. People need to realize that. I'm just happy a company like DICE recognizes that the industry is changing, yet are willing to make compromises to give people what they want and still guard their product. It sure beats what IW has done lately. No compromise, whatsoever.
My opinions are going to be voiced in forums such as this and my "misery" will be "spread." That's why forums exist for feedback. My arguments tend to be backed up by valid reasons, I'm not just shitting on a game without explaining why.
You mention compromises and give and take philosophy. For PC FPS games I'm used to public dedicated servers, console support, free mod tools, free mods for about a decade. Dice are not going to deliver on these. They are delivering a PC FPS game though which I would have to pay for to play online. I give them money they give me an PFS game and some patches (unknown what patch support for PC will be like). Where is the compromise here exactly? Where is the give and take you refer to? Am I just supposed to grateful that they are releasing an FPS for the PC? Not good enough.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 22:31.

6. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 17:32 Overon

The ignorance of some of you gamers is unbelievable at times. Tell you what, why don't YOU guys go ahead and develop a completely and utterly secure, unhackable software package that you intend to distribute to thousands of people. Nevermind that a portion of these people's sole intention is to hack it.
The age old "if you don't like what they are doing, why don't you go out and make a game yourself" gambit. It's a fallacious argument.
God forbid someone takes necessary steps to ensure a product that they've invested millions of dollars into is as secure as they can make it. At the same time, doing what they can to satisfy their consumer base.
But isn't that what punkbuster is for? It's going to be in Bad Company 2. We old farts have, for over a decade, gotten used to first person shooters (they started on PC you know) being released on the PC with mod support, mod tools, and a public dedicated server package. Call us crazy, but when you start releasing first person shooters on the PC and you remove stuff like this, us old farts are going to get cranky. What if someone made a 360 game without any DLC? Wouldn't the console gamers scream bluddy murder, after all they have gotten used to it. They have certain expectations.

The lowest common denominator when it comes to multiplatfrom first person shooters is the console. Thus these developers are trying to get PC fps players to change their expectations to be more inline with console fps player's expectations: pay dlc, no mods, no mod tools, and no dedicated server (or no publicly released dedicated servers).

I'm not going to accept it.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 17:34.

1. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 16:37 Overon

Of course, they are doing it to protect the game's integrity on PC. How about spending the time to properly code the game, that will go a long way to protecting the game's integrity.

So let's take that statement at their word. Doesn't that imply that realize that what they have written is in secure and hackable? That's not a good implication.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000 Jan 15, 2010, 15:40 Overon

Come on, release it for free. Not 5 bucks, free. It's a 10 year old game.  

News Comments > Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return
3. Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return Jan 15, 2010, 10:45 Overon

Or they should release the game for free to build buzz for the next game.  

News Comments > The Saboteur Final Patch Planned
2. Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned Jan 15, 2010, 10:44 Overon

Don't buy a game from a studio that is about to be closed or is closed already.  

News Comments > No Console in PC Bad Company 2
23. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 01:27 Overon

So whose left who can make a good first person shooter designed for the PC? Valve?  

News Comments > No Console in PC Bad Company 2
15. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 20:31 Overon

Don't forget that there will be no publicly released dedicated servers and that there won't be any released mod tools for bad company 2 as well:

"Mod Tools: There will not be mod tools for BFBC2. However a majority of the the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers.

Public Server Files: We will not distribute these publicly. There are many factors for why we have decided this with the biggest factor being security & integrity of our game & Dedicated Servers."
From http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/Default.aspx##

It's sounding more and more like a PC game every announcement. Fuck Infinity Ward and fuck DICE. They owe their beginnings to PC gamers in Call of Duty and Battlefield series and now they just fuck us. Fuck them.

News Comments > Dark Void PC Demo [Updated]
15. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 14, 2010, 18:11 Overon

siapnar wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 18:06:
I'm surprised you gave it praise at the end, Overon. I was totally expecting this game to suck balls.

Well I gave the demo a thumbs up and said it was worth trying. Though the thing with resolutions being cropped and not full screen bothers me.

13. Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 14, 2010, 16:22 Overon

Ant wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 16:15:
I think the reason for using zip or self extraction is because some administrators can't configure their Web server's MIME correctly.
Even so, they could have created a non compressed 7-zip file that does not use any compression and it would extract quickly.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 16:24.

10. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 15:42 Overon

Okay time for the mini review.

I like to do my mini reviews by saying what is wrong, not what is right. It's what is wrong with the game that will decide whether you want to get it or whether it's a deal breaker. You can assume that if I don't mention something then that means it's okay.

Being a fileplanet "exclusive" does not make a good first impression. I waited 37 minutes in a queue to be able to download it. Damn fileplanet wait queues and "exclusivity." When installing the demo, it uses a 7-zip based self extracting exe that takes a bit to fully extract the install files. The sad thing is that the reasons it takes a little bit of time is because some numbnutz decided to actually attempt to compress the install files, and the net result is that after extraction the total file size is the same as the 7-zip compressed self extracting exe. Hard to compress already well compressed files. So there is no gain from the compression. All the compression did is increase the time it takes to decompress to get to the install files. Furthermore, when you extract the install files, the setup.exe does not launch automatically. You have to launch it manually to install. Very unprofessional. They should have let some knowledgeable IT guys handle do this right.

After installation, after an unskippable, capcom logo, air tight developer log, ureal technology log, nvidia logo, alienware logo I was able to select casual, normal, or hardore difficulty. Looks like people will be deleting/renaming the movie files or running startup commands to skip the intros.

Now I'm sure everyone wants to know if this demo is a half assed PC port or not. This game uses the Unreal 3 engine. This is good. The reason is that all the graphical and sound and control settings are in text files that you can edit. While in game, you have to hit escape and go into the resolution, sound, and graphics setting, and controls menu. More on that later.

Graphics are decent and passable. You don't need a fast computer to run this game. I have a core 2 duo 6600, 8800gt 512 RAM, Windows XP, 2 GB RAM running on everything high and 1680x1050. However not properly supporting 1680x1050 widescreen is unacceptable (that's my native monitor display resolution). The game letterboxes that resolution. I don't understand why it does this. I'm going to try to run other widescreen resolution to see if this is a widescreen issue and edit my mini review appropriately. Okay no matter what resolution I select it's letterboxed. Somethings is messed up.

The controls are editable in game after hitting escape. My mouse speed is way too high and inverted when I didn't want it to be so I was able to adjust that. The game only uses mouse 1, mouse 2, and the scroll wheel. I have additional buttons on the mouse and I would have to edit ini files to get them working probably. The game uses wasd for movement, q for howvering and flying, e for use and melee attack and getting into a quicktime like events where you pound some buttons, and c for getting into cover, and r for reload. In the air you can turob, you can slow down, you can roll left and roll right, do barrel roles and quick changes of direction. Of course once I plugged in my xbox 360 controller, controls work well by default.

The game mechanics are what's pretty damn good. You have your on the ground fps with a gears of war style cover system. You can shoot blinded over cover, you can throw and prime grenades. You can hover and shoot your weapon. You can fly and shoot from your jetpack. The weapons are upgradable and jetpack is too but not in the demo.

I am giving the demo a thumbs up it's worth trying out. It's got that vertical feeling that only games like tribes have had for me. And since I am a big fan of z-axis movement in a fps, I tended to like this demo. Though I wish at the end they let you fight the boss character, that would have made the demo more representative of the final game.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 17:04.

6. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 12:57 Overon

I downloaded it form file planet. After you start the .exe it just extracts the files, you have to launch the setup.exe manually. It's pretty stupid to compress these files into a self extracting .exe, since the compressed file is no smaller than the extracted files, especially since the setup.exe is not launched automatically.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2010, 13:01.

1. Re: Dark Void 2 PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 11:17 Overon

Mirrors not allowed. Okay. Can't wait for the mirrors. Any mirrors yet?  

3882 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 67.
< Newer [ 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo