Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3839 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ] Older >

News Comments > OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games
11. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 10, 2010, 15:44 Overon

I will not be an early adopter. However we shall see soon enough how well this actually works.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > R.U.S.E. Open Beta Begins
5. Re: R.U.S.E. Open Beta Begins Mar 9, 2010, 22:37 Overon

I played the beta, it's cool and there are links to a tutorial video and all kinds of useful information, even a manual that is linked to from the game's interface. If you are dedicated you can really learn a lot about the beta before you even play your first game. They have this nifty video when you first run the game from the head guys at the development studio talking about the game. They have something very interesting with the ruses, it really opens up some really cool strategies that didn't exist in other RTS games. I thought it would be gimmicky but it is not.

But it's all for naught for me since I won't be buying any Ubisoft games with their new DRM. Shame that this developer signed on with Ubisoft, I'm sure they have little control over the DRM in their game.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2010, 22:44.

News Comments > New Mass Effect 2 Weapon on the Cerberus Network
8. Re: New Mass Effect 2 Weapon on the Cerberus Network Mar 9, 2010, 17:48 Overon

LOL. Gamerpics. That's kind of like stickers right? It's the next horse armor.  

News Comments > EA Servers Back Up, Downtime Tonight
5. Re: EA Servers Back Up, Downtime Tonight Mar 9, 2010, 13:19 Overon

Outages like this don't happen when you have a decentralized pubilicly released dedicated servers. But instead they chose to go with another revenue stream and this is one of the side effects, downtime.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 8, 2010, 22:43 Overon

About the story of the fake intel cpus being shipped to buyers. I am appalled at the cease and desist letters being sent to news sites. I wish that just once, they would challenge those cease and desist letters in court and reveal them to be nothing but bullying. In the USA you are not supposed to be able silence a news site with over the top legal letters. I wish that people would fight back but it so expensive. Maybe if the person that fights back got his attorney's fees and fees for wasting their time and the courts time with baseless accusations, companies would think twice.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 8, 2010, 22:37 Overon

Is it that hard to check software for malware before making thousands of copies?

News Comments > Left 4 Dead & L4D2 Mac Details
1. Re: Left 4 Dead & L4D2 Mac Details Mar 8, 2010, 22:26 Overon

Wow, look at that, don't have to buy it twice? What were they thinking? The shareholders will be there to sack Newell. Oh that's right, it's privately owned and independent.  

News Comments > Kalypso Publishing Disciples III
1. Re: Kalypso Publishing Disciples III Mar 8, 2010, 22:24 Overon

This game has been in development forever, now they finally got a publisher. I remember how awesome the art was in the videos and screenshots.  

News Comments > Over 25 Million Modern Warfare 2 Virtual Soldiers
2. Re: Over 25 Millions Modern Warfare 2 Virtual Soldiers Mar 8, 2010, 22:23 Overon

I question the timing of this tweet. Looks like they needed some kind of win after the sacking of their 2 executives and the demoralizing effect that had and Bad Company 2's success.  

News Comments > AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash
17. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 20:45 Overon

The small group of people who have purchased an nvidia card in the last three and a half years? That small group?
Don't you need two or more nvidia cards in a system in order to do physx? In other words you need one card dedicated to physx? maybe I'm misinformed.

News Comments > AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash
11. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 20:12 Overon

What developer wants to take the time to implement Physx (unless they get paid to implement it) when there is so little gain from it and the small base of people that can actually use it?

But an open standard won't be supported much more either for the same reason, developers don't want to spend to implement if it means it will only run on AMD/ATI graphics cards. Nvidia is not above sabotaging it on their own cards, like they did with the Physx and having one AMD/ATI card and one Nvidia card in the same system. Remember that?

Maybe if this open standard was actually used by the developer and did not require support from the graphics card maker, then that would be a better situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Nvidia and AMD/ATI have to support the open standard in their drivers?

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
22. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 19:01 Overon

I buy the DDOS story. There are people out there who are against this kind of Draconian DRM (I'm going to coin a new term DRM=Draconian Rights Management) and they would be very motivated to do this to demonstrate a point.  

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
44. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 17:59 Overon

I'm going to make a not so bold prediction. Besides the Valve Source titles, some of the indie games and "casual" games that don't use Source, will probably appear on MAC Steam quickly when the client goes live. However I seriously doubt that the next Battlefield game will. I don't think the user base is there to justify the added development costs.

However this is an overall positive thing for game consumers everywhere. This is an incremental step in the right direction. I won't make gaming as big on MAC as it is on Windows, but it will make it a little bigger. And hopefully it will grow.

News Comments > Metaverse
62. Re: Metaverse Mar 8, 2010, 15:32 Overon

I think the people who are in favor of adblocking have presented a better reasoned and logical argument.

Also nobody has bothered to answer my questions:
I have a question though, how can a web page tell if I'm blocking some ad? The ad still gets downloaded right? It's just not shown? Or maybe it is not downloaded, they can tell that I'm sure.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2010, 15:43.

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Failure
50. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 13:56 Overon

Look I'm sure there are motivated people who dislike DRM and who have botnets DDOSing UBIsoft to demonstrate a point. I don't think they are lieing about the DDOS. Ubisoft has just introduced a DRM scheme that guarantees that the game will not be available to play whenever one has a functioning computer, associated peripherals, and proper electricity.  

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Follow-up
12. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Follow-up Mar 8, 2010, 13:35 Overon

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I want to take bets on what will Bad Company's equivalent of BF2 infamous Red Name Tag bug be?  

News Comments > The Making and Unmaking of Infinity Ward
9. Re: The Making and Unmaking of Infinity Ward Mar 7, 2010, 22:05 Overon

In a statement, Activision Blizzard said, “Activision is disappointed that Mr. Zampella and Mr. West have chosen to file a lawsuit, and believes their claims are meritless. Over eight years, Activision shareholders provided these executives with the capital they needed to start Infinity Ward, as well as the financial support, resources and creative independence that helped them flourish and achieve enormous professional success and personal wealth.
Is this true? Did Infinity Ward get started as a company after they were given funds by Activision shareholders?

What I am going to speculate about is that West and Zampella learned that Activision Blizzard was trying to kill off their company or terminate them or do something really bad to them, so they started shopping around for another publisher like EA. And then they got caught and hence the firing.

News Comments > Metaverse
10. Re: Metaverse Mar 7, 2010, 16:16 Overon

History shows that business models come and go and when they are in the process of going, when revenue from those business models decreases for whatever reason, the content makers fight desperately to keep them alive. They go down kicking and screaming. This is just another example.

The nature of the web is such that the end user has more control of what reaches their computer over the web. There is just more opennes to do stuff like this on the web. Content makers don't like that when it means their business model hurts, forgetting that this openness is the very reason that the web got be so important. It's a two way street. Maybe some content makers are forgetting why these ad blockers were developed at all.

I sympathize.

I have a question though, how can a web page tell if I'm blocking some ad? The ad still gets downloaded right? It's just not shown? Or maybe it is not downloaded, they can tell that I'm sure.

News Comments > DICE on PC Bad Company 2
7. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 7, 2010, 15:56 Overon

I got caught up in the hype with the release of this game and I feel totally taken!
Learn from your mistake then and stop buying shit when it first ships. Especially now that there are so many quality PC games to play. My plate is full, I don't have time to play them all. Enjoy the older ones that have had a few patches released and you won't have to deal with the initial release problems.

That's how I roll now, mostly.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Designer Departs
3. Re: CD Projekt RED Designer Departs Mar 7, 2010, 15:54 Overon

I hope it doesn't affect the Witcher 2. They need to Polish that sucker before it ships. Pun intended.  

3839 Comments. 192 pages. Viewing page 59.
< Newer [ 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo