Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 3957 (Veteran)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Witcher 2 Preorder Response
46. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 21:16 Overon

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 20:18:
How is Blizzard ultra PC friendly? The Blizz-drones already forgot how Blizz raped them over with the SC2 DRM, broken custom map browser, no lan play or the split of 1 game to 3 full price releases?

I swear reality distortion fields are not only common at apple, they seem to exist for blizz-drones as well.
No reality distortion field here. I agree with you, but I can't forget Blizzard for their past friendliness. Starcraft 2 is the first venture into unfriendliness.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 21:14 Overon

DrEvil wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 20:32:
Overon wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 20:09:
If CD Projekt keep doing stuff like this they will join the likes of Valve, Blizzard in the small group of the ultra PC friendly developers.

You mean, join the group of ultra PC friendly developers that developers like Blizzard are no longer part of? Sorry, after Blizzard's removal of true LAN play, spawning, addition of RealID and everything else, they deserve to be named fiends; not friends.
I give them props because of their previous history. But I agree with you they have been knocked down a bit for the lack of LAN support. That was a dick move.

44. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 21:13 Overon

born2expire wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 16:48:
less then 3 CD Project/RED, I cannot wait for the Witcher 2.
Angry video game geek comment: it's CD Projekt. It's the Polish spelling of the word "project." Get it right, bub!

40. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 20:09 Overon

If CD Projekt keep doing stuff like this they will join the likes of Valve, Blizzard in the small group of the ultra PC friendly developers.  

News Comments > OnLive Reviewed
51. Re: OnLive Reviewed Nov 22, 2010, 20:01 Overon

This is news? Did anyone see the other Bluesnews threads on this topic for the last few months? Maybe because its Ars Technica and they have a large degree of credibility, that this story is getting traction.

On behalf of the people who told you so, "We told you so!" Now time to pat ourselves on the back. Just like the perpetual motion machine, you can't change the laws of physics.

News Comments > EA on OnLive
3. Re: EA on OnLive Nov 19, 2010, 22:59 Overon

I've tested it myself I've played high-end games like Crysis or Bad Company 2 and they looked exactly like they would do on the highest end PC.
What he is saying is completely disingenuous. There are videos all over the internet that compare Onlive graphics to graphics to high end PC's. And while I could not find Crysis and Bad Company 2 OnLive vs PC comparisons, I have seen a few other ones and you can clearly see the washed lower quality texture work especially in backgrounds parts of a scene using OnLive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-7_0rXB14E&feature=player_embedded
http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=14397&article_id=1180614#anchor

There is every reason to suspect similar differences will manifest in games like Crysis and Bad Company 2 as well.

The stream and the mechanism that controls the stream, that's the problem right now, getting the latency down so that it feels like you're playing on your TV at home rather than a server somewhere else
This a rather huge technical hurdle to overcome if he means network latency. There is no way to overcome network latency with technology. You can mask it, make the game more forgiving, etc. You simply can't change the laws of physics.
There is only way way to lower latency enough and that is to have these server farms located as close to you, router-wise as possible. And that of course assumes that network latency is the latency he is talking about and not computational latency due to server computational load. At least server computational load is a problem that can be overcome by OnLive buying more hardware and network latency can be overcome by OnLive buying farms near your location.

This service let's you play games at lower graphical fidelity and if you are lucky with adequate network latency if you are physically close to their server farms. And bonus points for being able to play console games too. You don't need a expensive PC. But let's not let people get away with such dishonest statements.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2010, 23:13.

News Comments > Portal 2 Delayed Again
10. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 19:33 Overon

Ventura wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 19:24:
I should be ashamed, but I still haven't played the first, despite having added it to my Steam account back when they were giving it away for free.

I know, I know... I'll get around to it
You are a disgrace to PC gaming! Hang your head in shame! For shame!

News Comments > DRM-Free Witcher 2 Preorders on GOG.com
6. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 Preorders on GOG.com Nov 18, 2010, 14:30 Overon

Wow so let me get this straight.

You preorder Witcher 2 you from GOG you get it DRM free? You don't have to pay them until it's released and preordering will get you a DRM free RPG from GOG and EU purchasers won't be ripped off anymore by the lack of currency correct pricing that other digital distribution services suffer from?

Insanity. What are these guys thinking? Sure it's their game and they can do what they want with it, but they have put steam to shame. I won't be buying Witcher 2 on Steam. I'm sold.

GOG is now GNG (Good New Games) when it comes to Witcher 2. I think these guys have becomes the most consumer friendly developer\publisher.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
6. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Nov 17, 2010, 17:55 Overon

Ant wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 15:37:
Hmm, nothing big for Windows XP and new icons (AMD instead of ATI).
Yeah some places it says amd catalyst or amd graphics and other places during the install says ati catalyst.

News Comments > Zombie Driver Free Expansion
1. Re: Zombie Driver Free Expansion Nov 16, 2010, 21:17 Overon

This game is now on sale at $4.98 on Steam. Public service announcement brought to you by your friendly Overon.  

News Comments > Witcher 2 Dated, CE
1. Re: Witcher 2 Dated, CE Nov 16, 2010, 21:14 Overon

I get frisky just thinking about this. I mean the game not the collector's edition waste of money

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2010, 22:12.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
1. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Nov 11, 2010, 20:09 Overon

Wow so does that mean everything is fixed with such a small patch notes?  

News Comments > InstantAction Closed
1. Re: InstantAction Closed Nov 11, 2010, 20:07 Overon

They had this tribes like game on there. It had jet-packs and you could ski.  

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer
22. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 22:15 Overon

I played Battlefield Play4Free before. It was called Battlefield 2. Also I wonder if this version will have the red name tag bug and the dolphin diving. I'm pretty sure they managed to get the dolphin diving under control but I'm not sure they ever fixed the red name tag bug despite a few patches where they claimed they fixed it.

The textures look low res in some the videos, like they would in a game from 2005.

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Announced
43. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 18:05 Overon

PHJF wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 13:07:
I don't pay to continue playing.

That's the definition of old school. Or were you not a youth infatuated with gathering as many quarters as you possibly could?
I played arcade games very rarely. I probably spent less then 15 bucks on the arcades.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2010, 18:12.

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Announced
19. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 12:55 Overon

I'm with Beamer. I'm old fashioned I guess. I don't pay to continue playing. Game software is not a service. If there is any advantage over a pay item, over a non pay item, it is the kiss of death for me.

News Comments > Tribes Universe Interview
22. Re: Tribes Universe Interview Nov 4, 2010, 15:54 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Nov 3, 2010, 15:16:
That's not necessarily true. EVE is pretty hardcore and it's doing pretty well.
I wil take your word for it.
I should have that the odds are against you if you make a hardcore MMO.

News Comments > Relic on GFWL and Steamworks
24. Re: Relic on GFWL and Steamworks Nov 4, 2010, 14:39 Overon

Maybe a factor in this decision of THQ's core game boss is a result of:
THQ's sales in the second quarter were $77.1 million, down 24 percent from a year earlier.
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/115669/thq-financials

Microsoft paying them to use GFWL would help with that loss. If you are Microsoft you don't have to make your stuff better than steam, you can just pay your way to get developers to use your GFWL that so many hardcore gamers detest.

News Comments > Relic on GFWL and Steamworks
23. Re: Relic on GFWL and Steamworks Nov 4, 2010, 14:28 Overon

Rockn-Roll wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 12:16:
Of course Microsoft is pushing GFWL...it allows them access to confidential information and everyone's credit card accounts. The problem is that GFWL is a console gaming service which was ported to the PC...the ported code contains it's own TCP/IP stack which bypasses all Windows PC security settings just like a root kit does.

I'm not saying that GFWL is a root kit...I'm just saying that installing GFWL is just like installing a root kit...which means if it's taken over by malicious software then you won't know it because Windows won't be able to monitor it or shut it down, and if you are using it then you are already allowing it through your firewall and virus scanners. The only option to keep a secure system is to uninstall it.
Please backup those statements with some evidence.

News Comments > Tribes Universe Interview
20. Re: Tribes Universe Interview Nov 3, 2010, 13:10 Overon

The things that made Tribes great was that it had elements that appeal to "hardcore" gamers. You cannot make a successful MMO that only appeals to "hardcore" gamers, it's not financially viable.  

3957 Comments. 198 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo