Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 4057 (Master)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Quote of the Day
4. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 8, 2011, 21:41 Overon

There is no correct answer.
Appealing to dictionaries is an error.
Dictionaries maybe be descriptive but they are not prescriptive nor proscriptive.

I'm using big words which no one will look up in the dictionary.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS on Improving GFWL
30. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 17:59 Overon

Maybe there are some casual gamers that don't care about GFWL one way or another. But everyone I know hates it with a passion. It's a console designed thing and even now the xbox 360 one is better than the PC.

Kevin Unangst does not understand our hatred for it.

News Comments > Technology of Dragon Age II
36. Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 6, 2011, 09:43 Overon

These streamlining changes, which some of us would call dumbing down and the extra download required to get the high resolution textures (consoles don't need the high res textures cause they can't handle them) are all a clear sign of what the intended platform is for this game. The only reason the first game was PC friendly was because it started on PC and took so long to release. If they could they would have gone back and tailored it for consoles in the first one.

Dragon Age II is not a PC game.

News Comments > Steam Guard Beta
9. Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 08:44 Overon

Has anyone from Valve addressed the concern that this could be used to tie a game to one computer?  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
2. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 1, 2011, 20:25 Overon

Hmmm, they are actually using stuff that won't help consoles? Wow I'm surprised.  

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Announced
21. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:37 Overon

They have a sense of humor. That's good.  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo
22. Re: Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo Mar 1, 2011, 13:54 Overon

What's better hardcore or enthusiast? Whoever though of this black box style visual control scheme is a complete moron.  

News Comments > Gaikai Live
13. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 27, 2011, 22:00 Overon

Someone should post a positive experience. I'm sure someone lives close to one of their servers.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 27, 2011, 15:27 Overon

Because CC4 had a sale probably.

Bulletstorm for 60 bucks really people? Really?

News Comments > On PC Bulletstorm
46. Re: On PC Bulletstorm Feb 24, 2011, 06:50 Overon

InBlack wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 04:14:
I cant believe that they are charging 60$ for this game. Painfully short single-player, sort-of-fun multiplayer but CO-OP only (does it have deathmatch of any kind at all??) The obvious porting problems, no Jump??? What the hell is this, Mass Effect?????
No it's a $60 console game for juveniles released on PC because it doesn't take much effort to make the unreal tech game work on PC.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo
99. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 21:42 Overon

It keeps crashing for me during the same cutscene where your mother speaks after fighting the first battle with your brother and sister. 3 times in a row.  

News Comments > On PC Bulletstorm
3. Re: On PC Bulletstorm Feb 23, 2011, 21:38 Overon

I will say it before others say, the devs don't care enough about the PC version. We wish they cared more but they don't.

Also games for windows live blows big time as usual.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Whodunit
3. Re: Half-Life 2 Whodunit Feb 21, 2011, 21:51 Overon

Alamar wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 21:22:
Only 2 years of slap-on-the-wrist, after what MUST have cost them HUNDREDS of millions of dollars in lost sales?

That's what piracy does, right?

-Alamar
Back the truck up... How does stealing the source code and then not compiling nor being able to play the game from that source code, cost hundreds of millions of dollars in lost sales?

News Comments > Why There's No Bulletstorm Co-op
22. Re: Why There's No Bulletstorm Co-op Feb 20, 2011, 21:18 Overon

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 17:02:
Tribes had skiing and it was good!
I love you. Will you marry me and we shall play Tribes forever together and have lovely Tribes babies.

News Comments > Why There's No Bulletstorm Co-op
7. Re: Why There's No Bulletstorm Co-op Feb 20, 2011, 16:07 Overon

Yeah Homefront looks good. A COD clone. Time slows down for everyone except the player. The enemies just run in to be shot and your gun has no recoil. Looks like a great game. I am cringing. Must now every first person military shooter be a COD clone?

Well I guess there is Red Orchestra 2.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DLC Mess Up
1. Re: BioShock 2 DLC Mess Up Feb 19, 2011, 16:21 Overon

2k is incompetent. The bioshock 2 situation is a bunch of fuckups. Add one more to the list.  

News Comments > No Bulletstorm Editor
14. Re: No Bulletstorm Editor Feb 16, 2011, 17:05 Overon

Why would they spend resources to release an editor for a console centered game created for the purpose revenue generation in the period before gears of war 3 comes out? Also tools interfere with paid DLC content.

News Comments > Retail Amnesia in N.A. Next Week
3. Re: Retail Amnesia in N.A. Next Week Feb 15, 2011, 20:32 Overon

I enjoyed the game a lot.  

News Comments > Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming
55. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 20:29 Overon

necrosis wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 20:08:
Fion wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 18:44:
The gameplay is indeed 'console centric'. Gone is the sandboxy style of the original (though it wasn't really a sandbox either), replaced tunnels and box shaped open air areas where somehow there is rubble blocking every path accept the one you are supposed to use to advance.

Other things that give away the games obvious 'we want to be CoD with aliens' aspects of the game?

FOV of 55.

No kickback on any weapons.

Lead by the hand gameplay. You don't learn your suit powers yourself but instead they are turned off until the tutorial pops up and 'lets' you use them.

I'm not saying the game is bad. Frankly I only played the first few levels because I don't want to ruin the experience when I get the game (and I am, though not immediately). But it was pretty sad to see what happened to the game. The graphics are nice (though unoptimized) and limited to 'medium' which still actually looks quite nice. But the gameplay is a tunnel shooter modeled almost exactly after Call of Duty. Frankly if there weren't any aliens or a nanosuit it would be hard to tell the difference.

My final 'beta review' would be a score of 75 ('maybe' 80 once it hits) that strives to be what the original game strived to avoid and that is to be a CoD clone. Frankly if not for the simple fact that I can go invisible, sneak around to an enemy placement, grab a guy and throw him into his enemies this game might be a 'wait for the $20 sale in a year' game.

If you enjoyed the first (as I did, I liked that I could approach many fights from a variety of way, this one you have really only one way to fight. If you come out of tunnel A to boxy open area B on a rooftop and there is a box of grenades and all the enemies are clumped together, you basically go with that option because any other would be pointless.
If this turns out in the final I will be sad panda.

I loved the "sandbox" method of C1. Bit different paths to each objective. You can run and gun or stealth. Long range or up in their face. Personally I liked stealth. Wish the game had throwing weapons (knives and what not) of some kind. Especially with the STR suit option. Tho throwing crates and barrels at bad guys was fun too.

But to quote many others this sounds a lot like just another CoD. Forced direction, play it this way not your way kind of thing.

I will probably enjoy the game or just wait till it comes down in price so my wallet does not yell at me for spending $60 on something that is not that fun.

I expect that the FOV can be changed via ini files. But the poor kickback and the cod\console style gameplay is something that cannot be fixed. I am majorly disappointed. It's not going to be worth 60 bucks I fear.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Bulletpoints Trailer
7. Re: Bulletstorm Bulletpoints Trailer Feb 14, 2011, 18:26 Overon

Did cliffy b ever grow up?  

4057 Comments. 203 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo