Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1675 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Mar 27, 2009, 19:25 DG

I share many of the concerns with the article but the biggie is, having this tech, why jump into a domestic service, and even then, why gaming?

A big red flag to me is, in three words, "cost of capital".

What they're saying is they got investors to stump up the gigantic amount of money not only to develop tech for 7 years, but buy data centres and all the other costs you get in starting up a big company from scratch. And working capital. That's a *lot* of funding.

People investing in new companies require a pretty big return, and that goes double when it's a tech firm and triple when the tech hasn't even been invented. You're looking at 30%pa minimum. That may sound like a great return but it's what you need to convince you to part with the cash, because for each winner you hit losers too.

Let's say you invest equal instalments annually at the start of each year. If you invested $1 each time, at the end of the 7 years you would be expecting nearly $23 back. Even if you invest nothing in the following year, you would be needing nearly $30 back. 2 more years, $50 please.

So, given the basics of investing, do you then go straight into domestic service rollout? Your balance sheet looks like shit and you have no realistic idea of when you will be able to repay those loans.

No way, it's total lunacy. You would licence the tech to non-competing companies. This gives an instant flood of cash with which to pay off investors, so your cost of capital is now like 10%. It also funds the working capital for the domestic service rollout (meaning you need less cash from the investors anyway).

I expect it works for tax too. To be honest I don't know about the US and I'm hardly hot on the topic over here either, but I expect it will still be the case where you do not get tax relief for R&D expenditure in one go, you release say 20%pa over 5 years. But, if you sell the tech it all comes off.

In contrast to the way they have chosen, this way the company has cheap capital, a decent balance sheet and patented technology. Tech that is somewhat proven (by the guys you sold it to).

That's how you make money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Games
7. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 26, 2009, 14:32 DG

ooo FC2 half price? Bargain!

/gets wallet

/loads steam store

£17.49? Er, wait. Oh and now I remember it has activation limits.

/puts wallet away.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2009, 14:32.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 26, 2009, 10:31 DG

I don't really follow the argument for no-more consoles. It makes development harder? Well just stick faster chips in there with more memory. Nothing new for developers except more room to play with. There may or may not be other arguments relating to changing other factors but that alone kills the argument that there won't be new console hardware.

There are 3 major players in the console hardware market and at some point there's going to be a time where the market becomes such that it is favourable for one of them (or a new company) to release new hardware. When that happens, the others must follow suit.

It doesn't even follow from a pure hardware cost perspective: after a point older technology becomes more expensive to obtain than new.

The only thing that will stop it is if Onlive actually works, or when some other company sometime in the future actually pulls off what Onlive is promising.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Patched
16. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Mar 26, 2009, 10:05 DG

Well I basically agree with a lot of what n0slet posted, but I'd put it in a more favourable perspective. I guess the game just hits my tastes more squarely.

I've had the game 6 weeks now (on the 1/2 price sale) and played it heavily throughout. Only in this week has it gotten to the point where I know I should play it less otherwise it's going to get stale quick. That's a LOT of game time for me, and a LOT of fun in the process. The 4 campaigns of 5 maps is varied up a bit by the "Director", but the change of companions changes it up even more.

That said, my heavy play has all been campaign, I ventured into VS mode early on and wasn't so keen (largely due to not being able to conveniently practice as infected offline, imbalance in teams and quitters).

Really I'm looking for a new campaign. Fun as the survival mode sounds, server script mods pretty much do this already.

BTW for Euro players the lobby system is a pain when the leader sets to search official servers, there's like 10 in Germany or something. Set to "best available" and you catch the 3rd party servers. That said, both official and 3rd party dedicated servers seem a pretty crap bunch, I lose connection / the server crashes more than I'd consider reasonable. I get much better results when someone does a localhost.

News Comments > OnLive Beta Signups
21. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 19:51 DG

well we'll find out soon enough when the beta gets under way.

fwiw, "Who the fuck cares how many observers they can have." - observers are important to some people for tournaments and such. Though, I think they bring it up to get across the point that since this works fundamentally differently, new things are possible. Maybe also this being like a social networking thing, and maybe being able to instantly preview how a multi-player game is going before joining in.

News Comments > OnLive Beta Signups
14. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 13:07 DG

actually I can pretty much buy into this except I can't see how they can get true good quality visuals down broadband nor how they can have latency good enough for controls to be processed by the server. You can do so much in the home unit and so much with the sever but there's still those intertubes in the middle and I can't see how they can do much if anything to reduce the lag better than gaming servers already do.  

News Comments > Neilson: Games a "5th Network"
5. Re: Neilson: Games a Mar 25, 2009, 09:15 DG

The report is intended to be relevant to TV exec's who are concerned about losing eyeballs (in important demographics) to gaming. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

Why are TV networks seen individually while each of the gaming networks are seen as a single whole? The comparison only works if you have, say, xbox live compared to NBC; or all gaming to all tv.

To a gamer consumer it's another way of saying that gaming is still so small that even with the whole lot combined there are several tv channels individually with more people! But to a TV exec the terms make sense, "a 5th network" sets the current scale of the competition, then they want to know it's growth rate, then they want to break it down into smaller trends and demographics etc. TBH PC video gaming probably isn't all that relevant since there's not much growth there i.e. not much change (WoW is internal change, PC gamers shifting from one game to another; it's not relevant externally). Odd to omit popcap etc though as there's huge change there.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2009, 10:14.

News Comments > Wolfenstein Trailer
39. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 22, 2009, 10:26 DG

Is this supposed to have multiplayer?
Yes but that side is being developed by Threewave/Endrant; similar to RTCW SP & MP is being done separately. The Raven guy mentions in the interview that MP will have the alternate-reality special power thingummy but I wouldn't take that as gospel as Raven is not doing MP.

There really hasn't been much info released on the MP. Rumour has it the MP isn't even using the 100% same Tech 4 engine. Here you have SP adapting a DOOM3>Quake4 branch while MP is adapting a DOOM3>ETQW branch.

Sticking with unofficial sources of unknown reliability, apparently MP is going 8v8, broadly similar gameplay to RTCW (i.e. teams of varying classes work together with the aim of achieving/defending some objective, with time-controlled respawns) albeit with contructables from ET and streamlined class options.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2009, 16:32 DG

nice one nin... and NIN  

News Comments > Derek Smart Interview
28. Re: Derek Smart Interview Mar 19, 2009, 14:33 DG

So why does everyone constantly bashing on Derek Smart?
Don't know the man and don't play his games. But I read the interview, to which the introduction seems to imply his comments are par for the course. He comes makes some interesting points but frequently over-asserts them and then embellishes with completely unnecessary hostility.

e.g. (on coop)
The pacing is no different than if you were playing the scenario alongside the three NPC team members. The only difference is that you would expect your human team mates to actually make intelligent decisions and work together to achieve the objectives. But my guess is none of that (intelligent decision) is going to happen. But since voice chat will be available, you’ll be able to scream out obscenities on the fly and have them mean something.
The first sentence answers the question but he just decides to add that he's adding coop in order that his idiot customers can swear at each other. That's the main reason, though it doesn't help that he's probably also wrong: my L4D campaign games have good teamwork (not just better than AI, but good) say 3/4? of the time and in oh, say 30? games I've never heard anyone swear at another player. He's probably trying to make a funny but he doesn't have any skills in writing humorously so it just comes out like he's being an arse.

He does make some good points (certainly not all, but some)so it's a shame he lets his personality get in the way.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2009, 14:34.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 13:56 DG

I'm using a mx510 on vista 64. I didn't even bother with the logitech software, is there any point? Oh and is there any benefit of USB over PS2? I'm sure initially people were saying PS2 was better because usb has latency.

I actually went to have a look at a G9 today as I have some vouchers but the store doesn't have it. TBH I like the mnx510's two side buttons (back/forward in browser; p2talk/main weapon in games) though I could settle for 1 if the mouse is that much better.

I use a £5 basic MS keyboard and it's fine for me. The keys are responsive but tactile. I can't imagine using the plethora of extra keys on the fancy keyboards.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 13:58.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2009, 17:59 DG

It's still "when it's done", but they're suggesting 2009, so shooting for December isnt a bad way to go...
http://www.starcraftwire.net/blog/comments/activision-confirms-starcraft-ii-for-2009/

News Comments > Steam In-Game DLC
23. Re: Steam In-Game DLC Mar 17, 2009, 15:06 DG

Yeah people expect an expansion to cost and provide about half a new game. They also expect that any major variation on this and since the product is somewhat substantial, there will be enough bitching that they will know about it, so people buy expansions with relative confidence.

DLC, well both the quality and quantity are wildly inconsistent. On top of that, particularly for the smaller stuff there's a feeling that much of it is stuff that: a) had been cut from the game because it was crap b) had been cut from the game in order to be sold as DLC later on, or c) was created after release but is the kind of thing that previously would be handed out for free.

If developers are upset about that maybe they should have stopped talking about "monetizing" everything. They kept talking to games sites like it was an investment prospectus. Back when they were patching stuff in for free, they weren't doing that as a gesture of love. It was an exercise in building brand loyalty from the existing owners, and stirring up interest in the bargain-bin market.

Lost & Damned can be called either/both DLC or expansion. I've barely started it but it's immediately obvious that it is proper product worth the time and the money. The Fable II DLC was half the price but is very short and what there is is quite repetitive. Perhaps it's decent value considering the price, but it's really not enough to be worth the bother. IMO any DLC or expansion is only worthwhile if it's substantial enough to be worth picking up the game again, or if it's something I'm already playing (in other words either the DLC somes out fast [but see a & b above] or has strong replay ability like multiplayer). That pretty much holds regardless of the price: even free stuff isn't interesting unless it's sufficient to bother playing the game again.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 15, 2009, 08:25 DG

I count 7 categories with FO3 nominations, 6 for Fable 2, 6 for GoW2 and, back in 4th place, 5 for L4D. (Personally I enoyed the 3 excepting GoW2 which I havent played, in preference L4D, Fo3, F2)

Some odd omissions for games that have done well elsewhere like LBP.

Oh well, games awards are pretty much all a load of crap and insignificant anyway. Is there actually any gaming award where developers would consider the winner to have bested them that year, on the basis of the award? Is there any award influential to the public to the extent that a win can be shown to directly translate into a sales surge?

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2009, 08:26.

13. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Mar 14, 2009, 14:23 DG

It'd be helpful if people could vote for someone to take over being lobby leader so someone with a good connection can host. And a vote option to go back to lobby (together) shortly after joining a crap server.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2009, 15:25 DG

Intel and Nvidia are pretty far from being partners right now :p

AMD pretty much had to buy ATI for either of them to stay in it. Intel got their arse handed to them with AMD64 and initial dual cores but it was by too much, so Intel had a shake-up, spent the R&D money and the result is that it's very hard to imagine AMD catching up on desktops now.

Nvidia at the time was top of the graphics pile but is in trouble now. A lot of that kicked off after AMD bought ATI and they started bringing cards out that no longer lagged behind Nvidia, now it's Nvidia playing catchup, and they're fumbling badly with their partners.

I'm still a bit confused why AMD isn't churning out PCs on a PCB. They had that excellent setup with good on board graphics, cheap processors and a long period of ultra cheap memory and storage. They could have partnered up to produce a cheap "mac mini"/HTPC hybrid. It now seems Apple is going to do this (with intel chips).

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2009, 15:26.

15. Re: Top 40 Video Game Covers of All Time Mar 13, 2009, 14:59 DG

HL2: "the designers cleverly simplified down to Half-Life's most distinctive image". IMHO they did that with the Edge next issue page that announced HL2, the most distinctive image is the crowbar and they cleverly shaped it into a "2" while allowing it to be mistaken for a question mark http://www.cs-linka.com.ar/linka_crowbar.jpg .

GTA4: arguably GTA3 being earlier with the very same idea disqualifies the latter game http://www.mobygames.com/game/grand-theft-auto-iii/cover-art/gameCoverId,12892/

I'd also argue for including Civilisation, either I or IV, for skilfully communicating the game's relatively complex premise and extensive span.

ps. I advise against googling pilonidal cystectomy.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2009, 15:00.

18. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Mar 12, 2009, 13:38 DG

For the first 2 months after release I hosted a server. So the answer would be yes. But there was no point in hosting a server when you can't have your Lobby group join it specifically.
You can do this, if you are the lobby leader, though it's a bit backwards:
http://www.left4dead411.com/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=9&topic=10056

11. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Mar 12, 2009, 12:20 DG

Do you really choose or have favourinte L4D servers, I mean except for organised games?  

9. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Mar 12, 2009, 08:36 DG

I think there's a bug on the smoker grab, several times I have been grabbed then got stuck en route to the smoker and it took massive damage off.

For example the other day near the dead air finale on normal a smoker was on the gangway (or whatever those things are that get people onto planes from the terminals), dragged me up and I got stuck on the end, taking 90hp off.

I also seem to lose connection a lot, especially after maps load, but I'm assuming that's a problem on my end.

1675 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 50.
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo