Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 13:41 DG

Why do they re-make British shows for America, when we don't re-make American shows for Britain? What is the point in it?
AFAIK shows are essentially auctioned by area, so effectively the cost of licensing a show is somewhat relative to expected market size. The US has a 5x population so a US channel pays a lot more than a UK one would. This also means the costs of remaking a show become relatively smaller, and the effect of making a show "better suited to the audience" is greater.

It also means there is less difference in the cost between licensing the show and buying the rights. The US tends to want to take a show that is successful in the UK, then make it successful in the US and in turn internationally. They don't want to invest heavily in a show and be reliant on some foreign company - similarily UK channels tend to wait until US shows have a few seasons recorded before they pick them up, establishing a viewer base is expensive.

FWIW British channels do it when it's cheap enough - The Deadliest Catch has a different narrator for the US and UK broadcasts.

Compounding the effect is our showing more US shows than they show UK shows results in us being much more familiar with US culture (or US TV culture anyway...) than they are of ours.

Maybe more to the point, our standards are relatively crap. I mean US can churn out some utter shit and it's still kind of watch able, while UK shows are either fucking awful, completely irrelevant overseas or one of the very rare gems. I'll temper that somewhat by noting that much of the best British talent moves over to the US as soon as they have themselves a name to take over - again, due to the relative size of the industry and markets. We can also pool some talent to make brilliant shows here as long as there are sufficient Americans around to add the gloss and ensure it doesn't turn into some "'tis grim up north"/"grim dahn sarf innit" misery-fest (perhaps the most famous example being how they specifically put Steve McQueen in the Great Escape).

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2009, 13:55.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Weekend Sales
7. Re: Weekend Sales Apr 3, 2009, 12:53 DG

I know I did.
+1

News Comments > Wolfenstein Movies
2. Re: Wolfenstein Movies Apr 2, 2009, 16:51 DG

and there's the "Multiplayer" movie on....

Bah.

News Comments > L4D Matchmaking Plans
11. Re: L4D Matchmaking Plans Apr 2, 2009, 13:48 DG

I really want to play this, but am worried about my crappy internet connection not being up to snuff. Hopefully Valve will put this on sale again sometime soon.
[noting that I don't play Versus] The game's very forgiving on connections. OK so not ignoring my comment below, but to an extent it doesn't matter much anyway, not like a typical FPS DM/TDM game. It's just the nature of the game; you're not using a railgun and zombies don't shoot. Good job too since the matchmaking system has me playing all over Europe (UK here).

That said I haven't found a /reconnect command so unless you play with Steam friends, if you lose connection you're probably not getting back to continue the game. (if you're really keen, can use Steam to add recent players to the friends list then join that way; and consider increasing cl_timeout to 90.)

Bars are for cellphones, numbers are for latency.
They updated and both bars and numbers are shown since a few weeks ago.

I just hope this fixes the terrible online play. Even with pings of 70 the game feels very laggy,
TBH I think there's something screwy with the servers. Usually I get a better game if someone does localhost. The other day I [UK] played on some Austrian guy's server, with a Spaniard and a Russian. Felt great. Next day played on a Multiplay UK server (pretty decent in my Wolf: ET days) and it felt a bit... soupy? Or maybe the game needs a decent rate and locals are giving it while dedicated servers are setting 10,000 or whatever.

That and I've never had a dropped connection on a localhost while I get them all too often when playing on dedicated servers.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2009, 13:59.

News Comments > OnLive on Skeptics
71. Re: OnLive on Skeptics Apr 2, 2009, 13:26 DG

So now you're saying we are right, but are arguing semantics to claim we're ignorant anyway?

Lag is what has happened when there is a delayed response; this can be due to consistent latency problem OR sporadic latency problem.

The only time either of us mentioned bandwidth is to note that a constant 4Mbps means lots of packets. You can have 0.001% of those packets having issues and it's still going to be a problem because there is no option for netcode to hide it.

66. Re: OnLive on Skeptics Apr 1, 2009, 18:29 DG

And all the reporters and devs who have seen this actually in the field, attest that latency is not a problem with their system.
Apart from the one reporter with hands-on time that I have seen mentioned here on Blues?
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1090
Playing around in Rapture, I found that response-time lag was mostly unnoticeable--mostly. When turning quickly, there were disappointing moments of hitching here and there. It was an impressive technical accomplishment, but at the same time unquestionably inferior to playing from a disc.

And ping shows you the results of sending a couple of tiny packets. A tiny sample using a tiny amount of data (and often it reports the mean value). That is not the same as telling you how good it will be at sending commands up and a constant 4Mbps stream of video frames down when the whole thing is in real-time.

64. Re: OnLive on Skeptics Apr 1, 2009, 16:02 DG

There seems to be a lot of crap floating around as to why this isnt possible, blah blah blah. Why are people talking about graphics render time? It's constant, same as we have already. Everything is plausable except for that one thing which fucks it up everyime: DSL. Specifically, the last mile: from the exchange to the home. Lag up, lag back down, on top of what we have already.

If they were putting data centres in cities with direct fibre connections to the home this is totally doable. They aren't and so for it to be at all competitive it requires magic.

I expect that magic is the regular fantasy stuff, but come May we'll have a live beta and just maybe it'll turn out to be "technology sufficiently advanced". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws )

News Comments > ECA on DRM Disclosure & EULAs
27. Re: ECA on DRM Disclosure & EULAs Apr 1, 2009, 14:53 DG

Just to amend GT's point slightly, confusing consumer agreements are a pretty good defence here in UK (the law is that confusing terms are to be taken at their everyday meaning and against those who rely on them [i.e. who inserted them]). So yes simplified contracts are more likely to be considered effective.

However I can't see how EULA can be valid since the EULA is introduced after contract is established. This leaves the consumer in a position where they can either accept the new terms (effectively agreeing to cancel the old contract and form a new one) or ignore them and the original contract remains valid. If the contract is completely standard however, the consumer can be argued to have an expectation of those terms at the time of forming contract and so they are valid.

That said, a standard, reasonable EULA that is valid is, IMHO, preferable to the current situation of having whatever crap they put in there and being theoretically able to go to court and challenge it for the sake of getting my 40 back (especially when in practice most stores actually DO give money back for pc games now).

No EULA would be nice and everything but there's what's nice and what's plausable.

News Comments > Project Redlime/Syndicate Rumor Redux
6. Re: Project Redlime/Syndicate Rumor Redux Apr 1, 2009, 13:19 DG

mmmmmmmm Syndicate. Actually, I wasn't a big fan of Wars, just the original.

They could literally tart up the original and I'd be buying it, but no doubt they'll decide to do things to screw it up.

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
37. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 14:41 DG

Most of the people I know who aren't heavily into gaming buy most of their games from the second-hand (or PS2) section. New console games are typically 40 here in the UK, the only people I know who pay that are the guys who read gaming forums etc - they reduce much of the risk of wasting that 40 by researching it first.

My hairdresser actually gets through a lot of cheap PS2 games and probably in total spends more than I do, but she'd never get a 360/PS3 because it's too high an investment and she doesn't think any game is worth 40.

40 is not money that people spend on something that may or may not be good, and games are very hit-and-miss. Shit, I have a subscription rental service that does games and the few games I rent often go back uncompleted because they're not worth my time and I'd rather have some movies (it's much easier to get movies that are at least worth the time than games). Why do you get so many rabid forum posts on games? One of the (many...) reasons is that 40 does give you the right to high expectations, expectations that would very likely be met in any other industry.

Put another way, games don't compare to movies - they compare to box sets. How many people would have bought LoTR trilogy box sets if they hadn't already watched, cheaply, at least one of the films? How many would have jumped on the entire West Wing box set (currently for sale here at the same price as HALO3 was) if they hadn't already seen most of a series? And these are major flagships, the GTA of box sets, with broadly similar "$ per hour" ratio.

Actually sometimes I think piracy is high because it's no so far away from being a market for lemons. For some pirates, it's not that they are unwilling to pay for games, but they are unable to determine which games are worth what money, or indeed to pay the money that they are actually worth. Actually I have quite a bit of anecdotal experience of people who have gone out and bought games they had previously pirated. In every case they has really liked the game (found it to be worth the money) and had needed only a very small incentive to trigger them to hand over the money (such as getting an update; positive incentives sweeten the deal while anything negative seems to sour any ideas of handing over cash).

I don't mean to imply piracy is "fair enough" or whatever, but a lot of people like to take a side and paint in simple black and white, when IMHO there's a lot of gray and a lot of complication.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Footage
23. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 09:10 DG

Well TBF it's hardly "leaked". It's a recording from the GDC presentation.  

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Mar 27, 2009, 19:25 DG

I share many of the concerns with the article but the biggie is, having this tech, why jump into a domestic service, and even then, why gaming?

A big red flag to me is, in three words, "cost of capital".

What they're saying is they got investors to stump up the gigantic amount of money not only to develop tech for 7 years, but buy data centres and all the other costs you get in starting up a big company from scratch. And working capital. That's a *lot* of funding.

People investing in new companies require a pretty big return, and that goes double when it's a tech firm and triple when the tech hasn't even been invented. You're looking at 30%pa minimum. That may sound like a great return but it's what you need to convince you to part with the cash, because for each winner you hit losers too.

Let's say you invest equal instalments annually at the start of each year. If you invested $1 each time, at the end of the 7 years you would be expecting nearly $23 back. Even if you invest nothing in the following year, you would be needing nearly $30 back. 2 more years, $50 please.

So, given the basics of investing, do you then go straight into domestic service rollout? Your balance sheet looks like shit and you have no realistic idea of when you will be able to repay those loans.

No way, it's total lunacy. You would licence the tech to non-competing companies. This gives an instant flood of cash with which to pay off investors, so your cost of capital is now like 10%. It also funds the working capital for the domestic service rollout (meaning you need less cash from the investors anyway).

I expect it works for tax too. To be honest I don't know about the US and I'm hardly hot on the topic over here either, but I expect it will still be the case where you do not get tax relief for R&D expenditure in one go, you release say 20%pa over 5 years. But, if you sell the tech it all comes off.

In contrast to the way they have chosen, this way the company has cheap capital, a decent balance sheet and patented technology. Tech that is somewhat proven (by the guys you sold it to).

That's how you make money.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Games
7. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 26, 2009, 14:32 DG

ooo FC2 half price? Bargain!

/gets wallet

/loads steam store

17.49? Er, wait. Oh and now I remember it has activation limits.

/puts wallet away.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2009, 14:32.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 26, 2009, 10:31 DG

I don't really follow the argument for no-more consoles. It makes development harder? Well just stick faster chips in there with more memory. Nothing new for developers except more room to play with. There may or may not be other arguments relating to changing other factors but that alone kills the argument that there won't be new console hardware.

There are 3 major players in the console hardware market and at some point there's going to be a time where the market becomes such that it is favourable for one of them (or a new company) to release new hardware. When that happens, the others must follow suit.

It doesn't even follow from a pure hardware cost perspective: after a point older technology becomes more expensive to obtain than new.

The only thing that will stop it is if Onlive actually works, or when some other company sometime in the future actually pulls off what Onlive is promising.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Patched
16. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Mar 26, 2009, 10:05 DG

Well I basically agree with a lot of what n0slet posted, but I'd put it in a more favourable perspective. I guess the game just hits my tastes more squarely.

I've had the game 6 weeks now (on the 1/2 price sale) and played it heavily throughout. Only in this week has it gotten to the point where I know I should play it less otherwise it's going to get stale quick. That's a LOT of game time for me, and a LOT of fun in the process. The 4 campaigns of 5 maps is varied up a bit by the "Director", but the change of companions changes it up even more.

That said, my heavy play has all been campaign, I ventured into VS mode early on and wasn't so keen (largely due to not being able to conveniently practice as infected offline, imbalance in teams and quitters).

Really I'm looking for a new campaign. Fun as the survival mode sounds, server script mods pretty much do this already.

BTW for Euro players the lobby system is a pain when the leader sets to search official servers, there's like 10 in Germany or something. Set to "best available" and you catch the 3rd party servers. That said, both official and 3rd party dedicated servers seem a pretty crap bunch, I lose connection / the server crashes more than I'd consider reasonable. I get much better results when someone does a localhost.

News Comments > OnLive Beta Signups
21. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 19:51 DG

well we'll find out soon enough when the beta gets under way.

fwiw, "Who the fuck cares how many observers they can have." - observers are important to some people for tournaments and such. Though, I think they bring it up to get across the point that since this works fundamentally differently, new things are possible. Maybe also this being like a social networking thing, and maybe being able to instantly preview how a multi-player game is going before joining in.

News Comments > OnLive Beta Signups
14. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 13:07 DG

actually I can pretty much buy into this except I can't see how they can get true good quality visuals down broadband nor how they can have latency good enough for controls to be processed by the server. You can do so much in the home unit and so much with the sever but there's still those intertubes in the middle and I can't see how they can do much if anything to reduce the lag better than gaming servers already do.  

News Comments > Neilson: Games a "5th Network"
5. Re: Neilson: Games a Mar 25, 2009, 09:15 DG

The report is intended to be relevant to TV exec's who are concerned about losing eyeballs (in important demographics) to gaming. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

Why are TV networks seen individually while each of the gaming networks are seen as a single whole? The comparison only works if you have, say, xbox live compared to NBC; or all gaming to all tv.

To a gamer consumer it's another way of saying that gaming is still so small that even with the whole lot combined there are several tv channels individually with more people! But to a TV exec the terms make sense, "a 5th network" sets the current scale of the competition, then they want to know it's growth rate, then they want to break it down into smaller trends and demographics etc. TBH PC video gaming probably isn't all that relevant since there's not much growth there i.e. not much change (WoW is internal change, PC gamers shifting from one game to another; it's not relevant externally). Odd to omit popcap etc though as there's huge change there.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2009, 10:14.

News Comments > Wolfenstein Trailer
39. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 22, 2009, 10:26 DG

Is this supposed to have multiplayer?
Yes but that side is being developed by Threewave/Endrant; similar to RTCW SP & MP is being done separately. The Raven guy mentions in the interview that MP will have the alternate-reality special power thingummy but I wouldn't take that as gospel as Raven is not doing MP.

There really hasn't been much info released on the MP. Rumour has it the MP isn't even using the 100% same Tech 4 engine. Here you have SP adapting a DOOM3>Quake4 branch while MP is adapting a DOOM3>ETQW branch.

Sticking with unofficial sources of unknown reliability, apparently MP is going 8v8, broadly similar gameplay to RTCW (i.e. teams of varying classes work together with the aim of achieving/defending some objective, with time-controlled respawns) albeit with contructables from ET and streamlined class options.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2009, 16:32 DG

nice one nin... and NIN  

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 49.
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo