Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1682 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Consolidation
7. Re: Consolidation May 25, 2009, 13:41 DG

BR will be fine for a long time if they can get it to a good speed. We're stuck with it anyway, the only doubt is downloads, or, I suppose if they could make 50gb flash cards for 5 cents...

There's tech companies claiming big storage breakthroughs all the time, but they're nothing more than having proven their theory can work. Developing it to the stage of being a potential commercial product is still a long way off. What the vast majority end up being is a footnote in the research paper of what actually gets done.

With hard drives, there's several companies with a big market, competition is strong and innovations come to market quickly. I heard of this perpendicular recording thingy and next year my HDD has it.

With optical media, there is one buyer and one seller and well there's about 10 years between DVD and BR, depending how you count. What happens is the industry (mostly movie, but various others have some input - take your pick whether it's a standard making body or a cartel) decides it's time to revamp the product and they choose whatever looks will be best for them.

The idea that MS will be leaping onto some "maybe in a decade" tech, before any industry body even ratifying it as an ISO standard is only marginally more likely than claiming they have bred an imp they will use a micro brush and pallet to physically draw images and then wipe them away with a micro brush, really really fast.

Speculation needs to have a hint of plausibility before it can be fun, otherwise you're not even trying if you say the next XBox will actually be a real deathstar.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2009, 13:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Retrospective
4. Re: Has been May 23, 2009, 17:36 DG

Strange how some games are beaten to death and then flogged some more while others are left to rot. That IP must be worth a lot of money but it's just crumbling to dust.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2009, 20:09 DG

There's some kind of basic principles that's a common factor and you can keep going back to it for guidance. Braid is good for this, the logic is there but it can feel... warped? like you're reading it through mirrors so you have to start thinking about it again.

This does have some transgression into the real world IMHO. Maybe not the logic itself, but the concept of base principles that you can go back to again and again as guidance for solving seemingly much more complex problems. When in doubt, consider first principle and the answer becomes much clearer.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2009, 10:13 DG

Blue, make sure you have the right kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyrbiU0sB4s

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
31. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 07:49 DG

[BR] has an abysmal adoption rate outside of PS3 sales.
Correct, but I think the process is the opposite of how I read your post. The PS3 gaming console only helped BR to (very marginally) beat HD-DVD. After that, the PS3 would be dead if it wasn't for Bluray.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 14:00 DG

A BR player + 720p TV is not worth it when it can't display proper HD while at the same time broadcast TV and even DVD's look worse than my CRT. A 1080p + player is a lot of money.

Instead I got a BR drive for the PC. My DVD drive died so it only cost me an additional £40 (though this LG GGC-H20L is now 150% what I paid 6 months ago). I'm paring it with my 22" TFT 1680x1050 native - might not seem ideal way to watch a movie, but I watch a movie or episode to wind down most nights, and since I share an apartment it's very convenient.

There's no benefit at all for BR for many things, very few TV series would benefit from HD, and frankly it doesn't matter for most movies. But for some, particularly where effects are important, it really excels - it's worth paying double for BR Dark Knight over DVD. £40 very well spent, especially since BR rented from IloveFilm (UK equivalent of Netflix) is no extra cost.

P.S. they need to get rid of the DRM too, nothing like settling in to watch a movie before bed and then finding out I need to slowly DL some fucking huge patch before I can watch it.

News Comments > Creative Rebate and Switch
11. Re: Creative Rebate and Switch May 14, 2009, 13:25 DG

FWIW I expect how these things work is Creative pays VISA (or whoever handles the debit card) say 60% of the rebate issued, at which point VISA takes over the debt and Creative's involvement ends. The account website there probably looks very similar to that of lots of other cards because it'll be running at VISA. Creative give out rebate cards instead of simply reducing the price because a $10 rebate costs them $6 (or whatever).

VISA then make their money on the guys who don't use the card plus the aggregate maintenance fees, minus the discount they gave creative when taking on their debt.

In a more complicated way, the same shit happens with your credit cards, loans and mortgages, and is partly why the economy is fucked.

(Not to say that Creative aren't wankers, it's their agreement resulting in their customers being treated this way.)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Civilization IV: The Co May 13, 2009, 14:04 DG

I found Civ IV + expansions a great game, though avoided Colonisation after reading the civ fanatics forum comments (may be "fixed" by now).  

News Comments > Goodbye from 3D Realms
29. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 9, 2009, 15:07 DG

Aren't pre-orders refundable? Pre-orders are with stores, not 3DRealms. I could understand if you can't just go in and cancel (actually, no that wouldn't make sense either), but here the purpose has been frustrated - they have been prevented from keeping their side of the bargain.  

News Comments > Goodbye from 3D Realms
8. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 9, 2009, 11:35 DG

Give 35 people plus a dog a decade and all they have to show for it is having published Max Payne, Prey and some mobile Duke games?

(according to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Realms )

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2009, 18:56 DG

I've owned: master system, megadrive, PC, PC, playstation, N64, PC, PC, PC, 360, PC.
Via friends I've had a fair bit of usage of: Amstrads, Speccy, Amigas, SNES, Saturn, Cube and Dreamcast. Oh and another PC, when someone got a 3Dfx Voodoo.
(PC requires a new CPU + GPU to be counted)

While I've always had a PC since that beastly 486DX2 50mhz (heh, I just realised, my current PC is the only one not built with an ID game in mind ), my usage has always shifted with the games. For both quantity and quality, that Playstation stands out by a mile. But, on nearly any given year my PC may have had much fewer good games, but always one which shone that much brighter (perhaps bar GTA's).

These days the consoles are gaining ground, their games are getting even better and PC is dragging down. Through the 360 I've had the likes of Halo3, Bioshock, GTAIV, FO3... some very good games, while the only thing that's really taken me on PC has been L4D (before that? CivIV). That said, my L4D game time is probably very close to the total of all my 360 games, and to my surprise I do all my really casual gaming on the PC, thanks to Steam.

Maybe the most annoying thing though is, PC really should be beating the shit out of every other platform, it should be a PC golden age. A gaming grade PC can be done for surely the cheapest ever. PC's now Just Work vastly more than ever. Shit, console problems are now more infamous than PC problems. Nearly all the good games come to PC, on paper the catalogue is way better than any console.

But, they keep coming late and idiotically fucked up with shit ports, retarded DRM and forcing crap like GfW. If it made sense I'd be OK with it, but I just can't understand this fucked up approach where for so many businesses the customer and the product seem to be the two least important things. People put it down to bean counting, profiteering and whatever, but hey I'm the accountant here and if that's what they're trying to do they've got it ass-backwards and the quarterly financial reports tell it loud and clear.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2009, 14:33 DG

Even from their own article I don't draw the same conclusion as "Console Gamers Aren't PC Gamers".

My take on the article body is that they are used to the hardcore pc gaming crowd, and are now looking at the novice console gaming crowd. They're not just switching from the PC market to the console, they are also switching focus from the hardcore segment to the novice segment.

Of course, developers switching to consoles tend to be doing so to tap into a bigger market. So yes it makes sense to also ensure it appeals to the novice gamer at the same time. But that is changing two variables, not one. It makes at least as much sense to group hardcore console gamers with hardcore PC gamers, as it does to group hardcore and novice console gamers.

It looks to me like the classic error in failing to define your market segment; the article would make for a good assignment, or example to trot out in class.

(NB: I say "hardcore" in comparison to the new one)

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale May 8, 2009, 13:53 DG

Nice, I'd been pondering Defence Grid and forgot about it. So a big sale combined with good comments has me getting the credit card out. Only £3.50, but that's £3.50 more than they would have got without the sale.

Is Universe at War any good? I'd only be playing singleplayer.
Eh well it's only £5 so I'll grab that anyway. [edit: wait, this or Plants vs Zombies? edit2: nvm got that too, damn you steam!]

This comment was edited on May 8, 2009, 18:57.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 8, 2009, 13:40 DG

"Windows 7 'Not Much Faster' Than Vista."

Is this the Vista at launch that was shown as slow compared to XP, or the current Vista with it's matured drivers and appropriate hardware?

One of the major complaints about Windows Vista was the fact that it was consistently slower than Windows XP. If Windows 7 doesn’t significantly improve that situation, it may fail to convince people to move away from Windows XP.
This seems to be the nub of the article. So why didn't they test 7 vs XP?

Better performance using beta drivers on a beta OS compared to a mature OS using matured drivers doesn't seem bad at all to me.

+1 Verno. I don't think it is worth the money "upgrading" to Vista, but other than the first annoying week, it's been a fine OS to me. People made the same whines about XP, though it was a little less noticeable because so many consumers were going from w98, when the comparable transition here is going from win2k.

News Comments > Steam Global Gameplay Stats
14. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 13:22 DG

Untouchables is easy. When you're on the Jesus rock. Nobody taking any any damage in the finale when playing the game "normally" is something else.

Achievements can provide a little acknowledgement for doing something well. Though, that gets defeated when there's some exploit or cheap method, because then people take it from the opposite angle and think someone must be noob for not knowing about it.

Achievements can string a little more enjoyment from a game. A challenge to be taken on once you have defeated the main game, or perhaps it can encourage a little training in a certain area while someone is still getting to know a game. For example, playing pistol only is a good way to reintroduce an element of challenge, and also leads people to appreciate that the pistol is a useful weapon. On the other hand, this can be a nuisance as well, such as if you have a team where 2 players are going for that achievement and so you only have the remaining half of the team with proper firepower.

Achievements can, quite cheaply, offer several benefits to the game, but they have to be well thought out because they can become perverse incentive, reducing others enjoyment of a game.

I particularly dislike persistent unlocking of superior weaponry, all that does is artificially exaggerate the gap between experienced and new players.

News Comments > Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
30. Re: Civilization IV: The Complete Edition May 6, 2009, 13:51 DG

just... one... more... turn...

Excellent bundle. Though, IIRC, just play this via Beyond the Sword, it's not set up in a way so that you are supposed to play Civ4 then work your way through the expansions. BtS merely updates the vanilla game and the real expansion content is in the scenarios (IIRC it lets you play all scenarios through BtS as long as everything is installed, could be wrong tho).

Modding scene is epic, but that's what you get with this kind of community combined with a dev that goes out of it's way to make the game easy to mod, and even turns some popular mods into expansion content.

I haven't played Colonization as for the time I was paying attention after it came out, the forums weren't exactly buzzing, but CivIV:BtS makes my all-time top 10.

FWIW I won my first game completely accidentally via a cultural win.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Free Play Extended
24. Re: Left 4 Dead Free Play Extended May 2, 2009, 11:11 DG

games a bargain, cheap price and great gameplay that just doesn't get old.  

News Comments > On Fallout 3 Point Look Rumors
3. Re: On Fallout 3 Point Look Rumors May 1, 2009, 18:43 DG

have the Fo3 dlc been worth it? I enjoyed the vanilla game (360) but started tiring of it after hitting level caps and the free-roaming missions started getting a little mundane.  

News Comments > WoW Scandal Follow-up
21. Re: WoW Scandal Follow-up May 1, 2009, 13:14 DG

This Karatechop guy didn't "do the right thing" but it was primarily Blizzard's mistake. Their error, and for which their systems failed to prevent. That's quite a mitigating factor IMHO.

Dagok, I don't pretend to be familiar with US laws but my understanding is that there are (varying by state) various regulations about selling guns. Therefore, IMHO the analogy is more comparable if a) that the gun store failed to comply with those regulations, in which case it would indeed be in trouble, and b) the purchaser was doing some comparably trivial activity with it, like target shooting in a safe manner on private land. Actually that whole scenario is still vastly more serious than the events here, but anyway.

News Comments > Zeno Clash Devs on Piracy, Demo Plans
21. Re: Zeno Clash Devs on Piracy, Demo Plans Apr 29, 2009, 13:55 DG

pirates do this, pirates dont do that. real gamers do this, real gamers dont do that.

If you stereotype and make sweeping generalisations, even if you are right most of the time, you are going to be wrong with at least "x"% of your stereotyped population. If the conversation involves a situation where x% is a significant figure, yoru whole point can be totally wrong.

So, if say you are wrong about a measly 5% of people who pirated a game, the number of pirates may be so huge so that 5% who DO go out and buy the game is substantial in comparison to what the sales would have been with no piracy.

Obviously that's a theoretical example since nobody really has a clue what's going on. But it isn't stopping people pretending that they do.

(I have NO pirate games and don't even have a bittorrent client.)

1682 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo