Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Free Play Extended
24. Re: Left 4 Dead Free Play Extended May 2, 2009, 11:11 DG

games a bargain, cheap price and great gameplay that just doesn't get old.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Fallout 3 Point Look Rumors
3. Re: On Fallout 3 Point Look Rumors May 1, 2009, 18:43 DG

have the Fo3 dlc been worth it? I enjoyed the vanilla game (360) but started tiring of it after hitting level caps and the free-roaming missions started getting a little mundane.  

News Comments > WoW Scandal Follow-up
21. Re: WoW Scandal Follow-up May 1, 2009, 13:14 DG

This Karatechop guy didn't "do the right thing" but it was primarily Blizzard's mistake. Their error, and for which their systems failed to prevent. That's quite a mitigating factor IMHO.

Dagok, I don't pretend to be familiar with US laws but my understanding is that there are (varying by state) various regulations about selling guns. Therefore, IMHO the analogy is more comparable if a) that the gun store failed to comply with those regulations, in which case it would indeed be in trouble, and b) the purchaser was doing some comparably trivial activity with it, like target shooting in a safe manner on private land. Actually that whole scenario is still vastly more serious than the events here, but anyway.

News Comments > Zeno Clash Devs on Piracy, Demo Plans
21. Re: Zeno Clash Devs on Piracy, Demo Plans Apr 29, 2009, 13:55 DG

pirates do this, pirates dont do that. real gamers do this, real gamers dont do that.

If you stereotype and make sweeping generalisations, even if you are right most of the time, you are going to be wrong with at least "x"% of your stereotyped population. If the conversation involves a situation where x% is a significant figure, yoru whole point can be totally wrong.

So, if say you are wrong about a measly 5% of people who pirated a game, the number of pirates may be so huge so that 5% who DO go out and buy the game is substantial in comparison to what the sales would have been with no piracy.

Obviously that's a theoretical example since nobody really has a clue what's going on. But it isn't stopping people pretending that they do.

(I have NO pirate games and don't even have a bittorrent client.)

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Patched
5. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Apr 28, 2009, 13:31 DG

Survivor seems to pummel servers. I've been happy to play on a local server for campaign because only very occasionally has there been problems (if everyone is UK, or no further than Germany; though I've had uk, a spaniard, french and swede play on a swiss guy's machine and it was fine!).

On survivor I've not had a playable game yet on a local host, and the ratio of good to crappy dedicated servers has worsened.

Personally I think survivor is a bit too heavy going anyway, reducing the numbers IMHO would improve gameplay and should help out the servers some.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Apr 25, 2009, 10:13 DG

The article argues that most players expect far too much from mods. I'd argue that much of the time it's the other way round - many mods are extremely over-ambitious. There's lots of major ideas which, good as they may be, simply aren't achievable with the resources available.

With any organisation, if there is strong threats over resources (usually funding being cut; the mod equivalent would be contributors leaving) what you do is focus on your core function. Basically do everything you can to get as close as you can to your primary goal with what you have, and cut anything that's secondary. Thus if the resources are cut you have done as much as possible, and furthermore having something worthwhile to show is often what will result in obtaining new resources.

Why have 6 map guys working on 6 maps? Have two teams working on a map each. Firstly, 4 good, complete maps are far better than 6 incomplete and poorly tested ones. Secondly, it's much more satisfying/motivational to have a high rate of progress on something small than glacial progress on something bigger. And thirdly, it spreads the load for the map tester guys so they have a relatively continuous supply of work rather than long periods of nothing then suddenly 6 90% complete maps all at once.

Team Fortress Classic's "2Fort" versus Team Fortress 2's "2Fort."
Do the updated graphics mean that TF2 is superior?
Or it is that TF2 is functionally complete, a step ahead and has all the momentum?

People, including you, Danny, need to learn to be patient and learn to lower your expectations when you try something thatís ahead of the curve.
He then goes on to outline why most mods are behind the curve.

I see in the article a perspective I came across often when I was paying attention to modding: the idea that the pricetag is of overwhelming importance. Players are still expending a precious resource when playing a free game: their time. Saying that players should lower their expectations for the mod admits that in some way the product simply isn't as good a use of the players time.

He talks about still playing an old favourite, but a more relevant example would involve starting to play old games that he hadn't played before.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead & Counter-Strike Patched
10. Re: Left4Dead Exploits Apr 25, 2009, 08:55 DG

well yeah it's a glitch or whatever and yeah valve should fix them, but it's not like a team exploiting it is causing detriment to anyone else. No need for that guy to get pissy about it, have some fun with it or go find another server or whatever.

If it was a vs game then yeah they'd be cheating someone else and it's a different story. If they'd hit 20mins playing normally and then some of the team started to exploit then I can understand being annoyed too, since it dirties the experience/achievement.

News Comments > L4D PC Survival Pack
16. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 22, 2009, 17:49 DG

It's fun, definitely fast paced, but there are just way to many infected bosses at all times. The bosses should be more spread out, to mix up fighting off horde waves,not fighting off horde waves just so you can see where the bosses are at.
on my initial games I agree.

After about the 3min mark it's just constant, it's less a case of "dealing with the tank" than dealing with the stream of smokers, hunters and boomers while you're trying to get the tank, with plenty horde getting in the way for good measure. It's not much different from having a crescendo where the horde doesn't stop for the tank, and there's a lot more specials in the mix. After about 3 mins the smokers and hunters are spawning and moving around in packs of 3.

There's no gradual easing into it which would allow the team a chance to learn how to work together and figure how this is going to play out as the difficulty ramps up. It would be better slowed down with longer intervals and less number of specials (after about 3 mins they spawn and move around in packs of 3). It's designed to be a 10 minute game but all that happens is people play for a few rounds to get into it anyway, with several minutes between of tediously arranging canisters etc - why not just make it a 20 min game with a slower initial curve?

News Comments > L4D Survival Pack Tomorrow
29. Re: L4D Survival Pack Tomorrow Apr 21, 2009, 12:55 DG

Just to clarify, the content additions in this DLC are:
- existing campaigns DT and DA become usable in versus
- new co-op mode 'survivor; which is a swarm type game. There's 15 maps of which 14 are modified areas of existing campaigns and 1 is the all-new lighthouse map as shown on the recently-linked GTTV video.

News Comments > Fallout 3: Broken Steel Next Month
4. Re: Fallout 3: Broken Steel Next Month Apr 21, 2009, 12:47 DG

so this is the one that fixes the level cap and game-ending?  

News Comments > Game Addiction Study
20. Re: Game Addiction Study Apr 20, 2009, 17:57 DG

well i cba rtfa since it's bedtime and I need to get a few more rounds of L4D in (j/k), but could say the same about many hobbies.

Are these symptoms caused by gaming or is gaming just the avenue? Might some of these people avoid their problems by watching more tv if they had no gaming?

I'm not saying gaming isnt addictive, more that a) there's plenty other more socially encouraged activities that have the same traits, and b) is gaming causing the disorder or is the disorder causing the gaming? I expect a bit of both. For people with problems, gaming is an attractive opportunity for escapism.

I think it's excessive for parents to ban consoles. Like most things in life it's fine in moderation. Keep them in the family areas rather than bedrooms, and make use of the parental controls.

theyarecomingforyou very true about the diet and sugar. Here in UK some schools have banned vending machines and started to serve free breakfasts for this very reason.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Revealed
15. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 12:49 DG

IIRC the FO3 ending is going to be revised with the last (next?) of the DLC. As is the level cap.

I thought FO3 was a very good game. It has significant weaknesses, for example the ending and particularly the level cap (dull bits get boring real fast when you're not even levelling), amongst others. But a game on this scale leaves a lot of room for forgiveness IMO.

It does bug me tho that the level cap and ending are being fixed with the last DLC (or was it patch at the same time?). These seem to be fairly minor fixes, not new content, and presumably could have been fixed quickly and without much expense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2009, 19:00 DG

huh, I thought the whole point of the Volt was that it worked by using a relatively standard engine to charge juice up for an electric engine?

On second thoughts, whatever. Both the patent system (and, I suspect, much of the reporting on it) seems to be totally balls these days. There was an age were invention was at an incredible pace, I had thought that it slowed simply due to having accomplished to a point where you needed a massive amount of resources to find anything new, but I'm increasingly coming around to thinking that you just need the massive amount of resources simply to find and engineer around a million utterly fucking trivial patents.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Survival Pack Details
11. Re: Left 4 Dead Survival Pack Details Apr 17, 2009, 18:45 DG

I guess they agreed with me that L4D needed to be shipped with alot more content

I see similar comment come up frequently from people who don't have the game - I myself was thinking similar things before I bought it.

A campaign averages say an hour with 4 campaigns, so that'd be a very short 4 hours if this was a singleplayer game. On the other hand, each 4 campaigns is 5 sections which equate to roughly a multiplayer map each, so it's a MP game with 20 maps.

Being co-op it comes somewhere in the middle. But then there's the variation which comes from both "Director" and teammates. Alone, these probably wouldn't make much difference but together it's substantial - it's like for each map there's a physical layout and certain rules, but each time you play it's like different guy made it. Well, that's probably overstating it, but every time there is a new experience to be had.

At full price I stayed away then pounced on the half price weekend and for me the full price would have been a bargain. Yes, imo this DLC simply fixes vs mode for 2 campaigns and adds a minor feature that a mod could have done pretty easily - what I'm really looking for in DLC is a new campaign.

But if there was no more DLC ever, it'd still be one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played, and it's still be one of the games I'd got the most hours out of.

Buying the game because of the hype and not buying the game because of the hype are mere flipsides of the same coin. The only way to defeat hype is to simply ignore the hype.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. Re: Legal Briefs Apr 15, 2009, 13:40 DG

EU's very good for some things, e.g. the human rights stuff is awesome. But as ever, put politicians in a room and they just look for things to take control over. Then the bureaucracy expands to fill the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

FWIW the UK is already tracking websites visited and people emailed and so on, but no not the contents. This came into affect iirc April 1st. It's from an EU directive but it was Labour who pushed it through.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2009, 13:11 DG

It really was the best show ever on TV.
IMHO, though no doubt missing a few on here since I just checked my online rentals list as a refresher:

1. Sopranos
2. Band of Brothers (does it count as a show?)
3. BSG
4. Firefly
5. West Wing
6. Spaced
7. Arrested Development
8. The Wire
9. Dexter (though a bit early for judgement)
10. 24 season 1
(Ask me on another day and no doubt I'd have a different order, but the top 2 are pretty well set)

Honourable mentions: Alias, Lost. I'm not counting Simpsons, Family Guy etc.

4400? In middle of season 3, it's ok but bit too cheesy/chick orientated.
Other seasons of 24 increasingly suck, though there's some good bits here and there.
Pushing Daisies seemed good for the couple of episodes I've seen though it's never on over here at a time when I'm watching TV, and didnt seem good enough for the rental.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2009, 13:16.

News Comments > GameStop New/Used Game Hijinks?
13. Re: GameStop New/Used Game Hijinks? Apr 10, 2009, 10:04 DG

360 games come sealed by MS. Good system that IMO all games should use. Not only does it prevent this but side benefit is stores will refund without question if the seal is unbroken.

'Course there is a downside. Since stores *cant* resell it as new they are more reluctant to refund a game once the seal is broken. Flipside of this is it means people aren't buying games that have been copied and returned.

Personally I think if we're going to have DRM and crap, why cant we get something useful from it such as stores being able to type in a cdkey to "ban" the copy (and generate a transaction with the stores' supplier), thus allowing a much more relaxed refunds policy.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2009, 10:11.

News Comments > Six Days in Fallujah Backlash
16. Re: Move along folks Apr 8, 2009, 13:07 DG

This is the Daily Mail - it's a paper that's roughly the U.K. equivalent of Fox News in the USA.
Good comparison, reminds me of Fox's "sexbox" article since again we're looking at a situation with commentators blasting a game even though they haven't played it nor can provide evidence of reasonably studying it (though DM scores an extra fail since Fox DID have Geoff Keighley on there to provide counter-point).

Anyway, I suspect the game is likely to be at least somewhat 'crass and insensitive', while the Wiki page does offer some encouraging notes (based on marine's notes etc) it's a videogame and they don't eactly have a good track record for it. However I, like the commentator, have not played the game. It could turn out to be gaming's magnum opus, accurately and gracefully communicating what we have allowed our soldiers to have been, and continue to be, put through.

I think the general-public rankings for medium to be utilised as art is:
1. paintings, statues etc
2. books
(distance)
3. films
4. everything else possible
(distance)
5. games

I base this on my personal impressions of what artists are able to "get away with", as it were. TBFH, 99% of the time it's about right too. There's what, GTA which has a real social commentary underneath it all? Any other game that goes beyond trite? Not to say that games don't offer other valuable things, or indeed, that they should. Nothing wrong with entertainment for the sake of entertainment IMHO.

But I think there is real potential for a game to possibly fit in the gap between books and film. Paintings get to sit high because there is so much scope for one's own imagination, a picture paints a thousand words because it lets the viewer fill in the blanks. A book utilises it less, but still a lot of imagination while taking the time to be able to explore topics with care. Films are driven and only skilled directors/writers leave much to the imagination. Games have the potential to allow imagination and take the time to carefully explore topics, they simply choose not to.

News Comments > Blizzard's Redneck Rampage?
4. Re: Blizzard's Redneck Rampage? Apr 4, 2009, 10:56 DG

But then why would they buy the rights to it?
interesting Q...
several developers at Blizzard actually worked on the Redneck Rampage games back in the day.
Maybe someone 'fessed up to copy & pasting some code?

News Comments > Team17 Interview, Worms Mobile Moving?
4. Re: Team17 Interview, Worms Mobile Moving? Apr 3, 2009, 18:10 DG

you can buy Worms on XBLA, surprised they didn't throw a PC version out on steam while they were at it.

I do prefer the original, pixellated 2d worms tho.

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo