Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1682 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2009, 12:42 DG

Even now people hold two separate images of him, MJ the King of Pop and MJ the megastar circus freak. I'm sure his legacy will continue in the two separate strands but the circus will fade while the pop maintains it's importance and continues to be enjoyed.

PS. John Lennon, 40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Carmack Interview
2. Re: John Carmack Interview Jun 26, 2009, 12:24 DG

I suspect this is part of a long term exit strategy. Sure, Carmack's not even 40, and evidently loves coding, but I don't imagine id Software is gaining value much in it's previous state and he seems focused on interesting projects, not big game development.  

News Comments > Sean Cooper on Syndicate Plans
11. Re: Sean Cooper on Syndicate Plans Jun 26, 2009, 12:07 DG

Sounds about right to me. Sure, failure to comprehend the original often doesn't stop EA, but that's because they get it wrong or have other ideas which they think will sell.

Personally I'd be happy if they keep it an iso game maybe even just a refresh of the original as an XBLA/steam budget title, with multiple instalments if it does well. I suppose it could be shoehorned into some kind of FPS-RPG but it would just be Fallout 3 with corporations - to be Syndicate you need to feel like you are controlling, the game itself is of the Executive basically playing a game.

It's one strange thing with the gaming industry - titles don't really compete against each other, not AAA's anyway. I'd go so far as to say that AAA's merely increase the market, publishers are set to make MORE money whenever a "competitor" publishes a Halo or GTA, because people buy consoles or upgrade graphics cards. Yet publishers hold onto historic AAA's that could be making them money and boosting the market.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2009, 12:12.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Halp? Jun 22, 2009, 15:40 DG

Quake got me doing my first self-build and playing online. And reading Blues!  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 21, 2009, 10:42 DG

Here in UK I gather the problem isn't really with people wanting to donate, they push it quite strongly on the driving license form so most people tick the box and get on the register.

But when they are dead their next of kin has to agree and often they simply aren't aware of their wishes.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 11:21 DG

Well I'll definitely play it on 360 if anything.
Since I can rent games for that

News Comments > Weekend Sales
7. Re: Weekend Sales Jun 20, 2009, 11:18 DG

Hmm tempted by Empire:TW, though I got completely turned off the series with Rome. Shogun was a fantastic game, probably not far out of my top 10, but since then increasingly the games have had too much fluffy crap most of which I find an annoyance (though the combat system was much improved with Medieval).  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. Re: Legal Briefs Jun 19, 2009, 16:15 DG

PEGI are European ratings. The changes have come about due to the UK, who were going to switch to using BBFC (the guys who rate films here) but PEGI responded with this new system. So now the UK government is going to basically rubber-stamp PEGI ratings to make them legally enforceable here.

It's a good move. Ratings will be clearer and legally enforceable. It is now completely clear that an 18 certificate game is for adults, and developers will be free to make games appropriate for their intended audience. UK will not also end up in a Germany/Australia situation with delayed, sub-par releases.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2009, 16:16.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2009, 16:02 DG

Actually I'd say he's about on there, bearing in mind he's talking about the general market, not the bleeding edge.

Shit, if you look at the Steam hardware survey (yeah usual caveats, but it's the best available) http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ compare to an Xbox's 3x 3.2ghz Xenon with an R600 (ATI 3000-series); or PS3's 7x 3.2ghz Cell with an NV47 (Geforce 7800-series) there's an awful lot of people playing with machines a lot less powerful than a 3 1/2 year old 360.

Plus a console dev can optimise a lot more and he can always shoot for that target, not like PC where they have to target middle of the road machines. It takes a while before there are many devs even trying to push PC's more than a console.

My setup is a year old and was upper-middle range when new. "System requirements" are still irrelevant to me and everything runs on maxed settings with good FPS. Occasional exceptions aside, PC games are at least two years behind their hardware.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2009, 13:22 DG

Was it DOOM3 or Far Cry where everyone went apeshit over the lack of quick save?

Anyway, taking away quick save would be a stupid move. Few games are difficult, they just have sections which are frustrating. Perhaps because you have to fight the controls/camera to make it do what (ironically) would be trivial "IRL", or they give a boss some cheap unblockable move (Ninja Gaiden I'm looking at you).

Not having a save simply means you have to repeat the easy sections in order to get back to the hard ones, nothing more than a waste of time.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 15, 2009, 18:06 DG

hmm is the push for the next round starting? http://www.cnbc.com/id/31331241

(still thinking it's premature)

News Comments > Metaverse
15. Re: Metaverse Jun 15, 2009, 13:42 DG

A monopoly doesn't have to be literally one seller to many buyers, Wiki has a decent definition:
a monopoly [...] exists when a specific individual or enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 15, 2009, 13:15 DG

Meh all the reports of this are merely from them having read it on 1up, but of course the more sites repeat the rumour the more it appears like there are multiple sources.

MS does of course regularly revise the hardware, so it's entirely plausable (probable? most are guessing Natal release in late 2010) that the successor to Jasper will be done by then. I think it's even quite plausable that it's a revision to the extent of a PSone/PStwo, if they are going to do that at all I'd assume they would coincide it with Natal.

But boosted hardware specs? I doubt it, not unless they are in a position where it really makes a lot of sense for manufacturing (e.g. faster chips actually cheaper to buy because nobody else is ordering the current chips by then). Minor tweaks like using standard laptop drives seems plausable.

The main restraint on the console seems to be DVD storage, not hardware specs. They can't switch to BR without a completely new console nor can they include a BR drive while competing with Nintendo on price.

3. Re: Metaverse Jun 14, 2009, 16:13 DG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly  

10. Re: E.U. Criticizes Microsoft Plan to Remove Jun 13, 2009, 08:16 DG

The EU is saying all MS will do is:
- on store bought Windows, have IE download as an update,
- do deals with Dell etc for them to "choose" to pre-install IE. Deals like "you don't get your bulk discount unless you pre-install IE".

Their point is MS's move appears to be nothing more than an attempt to get around technical wording while not complying with the spirit of the judgement.

What they want in the store-bought OS is to have users prompted to install a browser and then be given a choice. When someone buys a Dell or whatever, they want Dell to have a completely free hand in what they install.

Microsoft did everyone a favor by making IE free and part of the OS. The market demanded it and showed that a web browser can be done for free (Firefox too)
Internet Explorer did not make web browsers free, they started out free a decade before IE came into existence, a decade where MS thought the internet was a "fad". Including a web browser with the OS was and still is IMO necessary, but choice can be given.

If the EU wants every browser to be installed on every PC sold there, they need to tell the PC makers, not Microsoft
This is part of the problem, MS has substantial control over what the PC makers put on the PC's through licensing and deals.

If Firefox and Opera and Chrome and whoever else want to compete, they could start by, you know, being businesses. If they want success, they make a good product and they make it known
Competition is what the EU is trying to facilitate. The problem is MS bundling the browser with their monopoly operating system - exploiting one monopoly to try to create another.

FWIW, Ford isn't a monopoly, and secondly Ford probably doesn't even make heaters - they install someone else's.

he EU didn't pay for the research and development costs of Windows 7, so who the hell are they to tell Microsoft how to run their business?
You would be surprised who pays for what. Regardless, the EU represents MS's customers in the EU. They intervene because MS has monopoly power - consider looking up for what means, it will change your perspective in so many ways.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2009, 10:13.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. Re: Are downloads really killing... Jun 12, 2009, 08:02 DG

Good article.

Shadowcat, I think you're mostly correct but seem to be missing the point of the "pirates are under served customers" approach.

The point is some pirates aren't going to buy no matter what so they are irrelevant and should be ignored. Some people, however, may be convinced to buy the product and this is where the anti-piracy efforts should be focused.

The "under served customers" approach thus focuses on giving these guys positive reason (carrots) for making a purchase. DRM is thought to be ineffective because these guys already do not consider the product worthy of their money.

Worse still perhaps, carrots help get sales from non-pirate under-served customers and improve relations with paying customers. Meanwhile DRM can only possibly harm these people.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Saints Row 2 DLC Jun 12, 2009, 06:52 DG

the Xbox 360 download is currently restricted to those that have a premium Xbox Live Gold membership
If there's one thing that pisses me off about my 360, it's the noisy fans. Uh, I mean, it's the Gold shit.

I really hate the idea of paying to play online, I hate even more that they restrict discounts of XBLA titles to Gold members but restricting free content that a developer has made is just disgusting.

News Comments > Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword Patch
3. Re: Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword Patch Jun 11, 2009, 06:52 DG

IIRC several of the earlier Civ patches were based on the unofficial, fan-made ones (usually with several additions). Cheap way of having after-sales support maybe, but everybody wins and it's the benefit of making a game from the ground up with modding in mind.

Oh and according to Civ Fanatics, "After installing this patch, the CD is no longer required to start up and play the game."

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2009, 06:55.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Confirmed
32. Re: Battlefield 3 Confirmed Jun 10, 2009, 19:10 DG

BF is one of those few things I reserve a special loathing for.  

News Comments > No Free DDO in EU
24. Re: No Free DDO in EU Jun 10, 2009, 19:03 DG

In the end, the people in both countries wake up in the mornings, have breakfast, go to a job they probably don't like, where they're under-appreciated and underpaid, then go home and sit down and watch TV.
QFT.

1682 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo