Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Interview
37. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview Jun 5, 2009, 14:16 DG

People are annoyed because they're not getting what they were promised, arguments that played a part in convincing them to part with their cash. They're annoyed some more because they went around saying that and selling the game to other people, and now they learn they have been misled into telling something that's not true.

Compounding that is Valve is probably the main thing leading PC gaming to a good place right now. Most other major players ran away or turned to DRM, but Valve talked about how the business works better if you service customers well. The L4D2 announcement is seen as back-pedalling on that.

Being annoyed is justified. Sure there's been massive overreaction but welcome to the internet.

Personally I've easily had my sale-price money's worth of L4D, but it's still a little galling that they're not doing what was promised when all I'm tired of in L4D is the same old maps. I think they could have managed this better - the reaction would have been different if they'd released what they are still doing for L4D plus released a new campaign and THEN announced L4D2 with a slightly more respectable time gap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2009, 13:27 DG

Lets face it, there's on so far you can go wrong with deep frying flour, water and sugar then adding more sweet stuff. It's all awesome.

Though prepared doughnuts just don't compare to freshly made.

News Comments > Dante's Inferno Protest Faked
14. Re: Dante's Inferno Protest Faked Jun 5, 2009, 13:18 DG

Looked like parody to me, albeit weak likely due to an intent to avoid actually offending anyone. The AP doesn't quite spell it out but I read it as implying they weren't trying to fool anyone.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailer
14. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 4, 2009, 16:23 DG

music reminds me of 28 Days Later theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyIG2EKPoE  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Interview, Clip
29. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview, Clip Jun 3, 2009, 17:37 DG

Invent some sort of device that warps space-time so that three cohorts and I could stand in the exact same place
wut? It's just standing in a group, say a foot apart, with your back to the corner so that they can only come at you from limited angles. I've never seen anyone do a finale by running around and still be alive by the time the first tank spawns. OK you can stand literally in the same spot but 1 foot or 0 foot it's pretty much irrelevant, other than looking silly, but why not just, you know, make people solid?

I'm not saying corner camping is awesome all the time. A moving crescendo sounds like a great idea, when you have a map for it. But in L4D every event is designed for camping, and they even go one step further by putting a closet in a great spot just in case you didn't quite get the hint. Now they complain about people using closets?

I like the defensive approach to L4D, but I kept expecting DLC to introduce a new gameplay mode that should be very easy to code and yet forces a very different way to approach the game. Something entirely unlike Survival which is a whole lot more camping, with occasional change of camp spot. But evidently they were too busy doing other things to add a line about the army dropping a MOAB, removing the blocks at events and adding a timer (even if it's just to beat your own times, rather than to beat a set time).

I'm not sure what pistol ammo has to do with corner camping, especially since it's about the most efficient use of ammo possible (since they don't let you just run away). But hey, if infinite ammo is daft how silly is it that you can't stuff a bundle more ammo into a sack, or a second grenade in a belt? Why can't you move a stash?

Oh no I'm too tired to shove people! Better get the axe out...

News Comments > Fallout 3: Point Look on June 23
5. Re: Fallout 3: Point Look on June 23 Jun 3, 2009, 14:06 DG

for those with this game on the 360, does the DLC fall into the regular game or do you load it separately? In other words, can I go around doing vanilla stuff then do say some Anchorage mission then go straight on to a Pitt mission or whatever, without going into a menu?  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Interview, Clip
24. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview, Clip Jun 3, 2009, 13:47 DG

One of the things we look at with people playing online, are people playing the game--the stacking in the corner.. that sucks.
In Co-op, it's fun and exactly what you'd do in the situation. What do they want, to approach it all Rambo style, like it's DOOM or Quake? Any time there is a horde the game is engineered to have you play this way. Serious Sam has hordes (mobs) that you tackle out in the open but it's set up for that by sending them in from a distance and allowing you space to manoeuvre.

L4D players are playing that way because it's fun - the moment a dev thinks their players are taking an approach that "sucks", they've stopped thinking about the game as something players use to have fun.

Also looks like they've put the melee fatigue in co-op now aswell.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2009, 14:02.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2009, 13:11 DG

so US Coke is... Diet Coke?

Capella, in future try to get him using Adblock plus a hosts file. Adaware + Spybot will do a lot but it seems the real buggers often need a dedicated removal tool (often with manual stages). If it's a work machine it's maybe time to call in *gasp* Norton. Or have a second machine for non-work stuff.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Announced
34. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Announced Jun 1, 2009, 16:04 DG

Just glad to see more campaigns, had a ball with L4D and easily got good value from it (ok ok I bought on half price sale, but full would still have been worth it).

It is a shame L4D didn't get another campaign though, the game is crying out for it and it does feel a bit short (polished, but short). Bit cheeky to finally fix the other two maps for vs only recently too. Also a bit weak to finally get the SDK out... 6 months before the next in the series.

But you can't compare to TF2, it gets a huge amount of content, it is the exception not the rule. Start expecting that to be the norm and you'll be disappointed. Anyway, who doesn't wait for sales now? Last game I bought for full price was GTA IV, and before that probably Civ IV. Get the stuff you just cant wait for now and try the other stuff when it's cheap, that way you'll find yourself trying out a lot of fun games you never would have touched, and it can be more fun too because you just extract the most fun out of them instead of grinding through the crap out of determination to get value for your $60.

Will I buy it on release? Well I expect to be studying so hopefully I'll get a decent break sometime after a sale

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2009, 16:07.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: new Halo Jun 1, 2009, 14:14 DG

major nelson as a thingy, live text feed
http://majornelson.com/e3.aspx

- Beatles Rock band
- FF XIII shown running (due Spring 2010)
- Tony Hawk
- Modern Warfare 2
- 360 exclusives: (well several are also PC)
EPIC have an XBLA game Shadow Complex
Joyride "whole new way to play on xbl" cartoony racer free to play but microtransactions (bought racetracks can still be played with friends who havent bought it)
Crackdown 2
L4D 2 (that rumour was 100% spot on) http://www.destructoid.com/rumortoid-valve-ea-to-reveal-left-4-dead-2-at-e3-next-week-133720.phtml
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Forza Motorsport 3
HALO3: ODST due Sept 22
HALO Reach
Alan Wake due Spring 2010

- LAST.FM partnership, will be free for gold subscribers
- Netflix improvements; or Sky TV for UK people
- video service relaunched as Zune Video, instant streaming, full 1080p, 10 more countries participating
- videos can be joined with friends via XBL (?)
- Facebook partnership, Twitter too, due fall
- Metal Gear Solid Rising "I didnt say anything about solid snake", "completely new MG experience"
- Project Natal: motion capture & voice recognition - control without a controller, will work with all 360 games; tech demos look like its attacking Wii market?

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2009, 15:07.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: new Halo Jun 1, 2009, 12:58 DG

Well we'll find out soon enough - MS just sent me an email saying they were just too darn excited to do their E3 announcement at E3 and so are doing it tonight at 6.30 BST instead.  

News Comments > Rendition: Guantanamo
4. Re: Do we get to..... Jun 1, 2009, 12:48 DG

well their latest flash game is apparently "[Susan] Boyle's Breakdown", so I think we have an indication on what kind of a company this is.  

News Comments > ARMA II Interview
31. Re: ARMA II Interview May 31, 2009, 12:50 DG

I have no problems with a beta exclusive to pre-orders. But they pretend you're getting the finished product.

Well, if you look at it, it's a indie developer with just 30 employees or something, making a highly ambitious, complicated game. It's fair to say you should have a different set of expectations compared to say a valve release (loads of staff, mountains of cash and resources to share over multiple projects).

I was a big fan of OFP, despite epic bugs, because fundamentally the game was amazingly good and ambitious. New territory is uncharted so you can't expect the smoothest ride. That their games are STILL very poorly coded is less forgivable, they should have good funding this time around and the territory isn't so new.

And ok, $50 is $50 and you should have a certain expectation of what you get for that. I think they should spend a bit more on programmers and QA, and reign in their ambition so that they are attempting something achievable. They'd probably make more money anyway since as it stands so many people wait until it hits the bargain bin, on the basis that not only does that save money but they'll be getting into the game while it's at a almost-reasonable standard. Patching is great and everything but it's irrelevant if you're done with the game by then. Same goes for some other devs, my friend is a huge fan of Total War games but makes an effort to completely ignore the game for a year before even checking to see what state it's in.

7. Re: Cigarette Butts May 30, 2009, 16:39 DG

bins bins bins. 33-cents-a-pack tax isn't any kind of solution, if you want people to stop littering, provide bins!

In my city they introduced on the spot fines and an advertising campaign, but it was effective because they combined it with, you guessed it, cigarette bins. Even though it happened around the same time as smoking was banned in public buildings (incl. offices and bars), there's dramatically less butts because... people have bins to put them in.

they actually screwed it up initially, if I took a walk though the centre of town it was common to see a litter bin on fire. but the bins had been a highly effective solution so replaced them with better designed bins.

sure, some people still throw them, but they're the same people who throw their other litter. smokers don't like the litter either.

News Comments > Wolfenstein in August
20. Re: Wolfenstein in August May 28, 2009, 15:17 DG

fwiw Raven didn't have anything to do with RTCW, that was Grey Matter (SP) and Nerve (MP). Splashdamage did ET and ETQW. Actually, Raven aren't doing the MP side of this new Wolf either, it's Pi and Endrant (though AFAIK we've had almost no info on the MP).

Raven's non-suck game was JKII (some people might add SoF2).

This comment was edited on May 28, 2009, 15:36.

News Comments > Tech Bits
3. Re: Tech Bits May 27, 2009, 14:29 DG

anyone having issues with the Vista SP, before I hit the button?  

News Comments > Consolidation
7. Re: Consolidation May 25, 2009, 13:41 DG

BR will be fine for a long time if they can get it to a good speed. We're stuck with it anyway, the only doubt is downloads, or, I suppose if they could make 50gb flash cards for 5 cents...

There's tech companies claiming big storage breakthroughs all the time, but they're nothing more than having proven their theory can work. Developing it to the stage of being a potential commercial product is still a long way off. What the vast majority end up being is a footnote in the research paper of what actually gets done.

With hard drives, there's several companies with a big market, competition is strong and innovations come to market quickly. I heard of this perpendicular recording thingy and next year my HDD has it.

With optical media, there is one buyer and one seller and well there's about 10 years between DVD and BR, depending how you count. What happens is the industry (mostly movie, but various others have some input - take your pick whether it's a standard making body or a cartel) decides it's time to revamp the product and they choose whatever looks will be best for them.

The idea that MS will be leaping onto some "maybe in a decade" tech, before any industry body even ratifying it as an ISO standard is only marginally more likely than claiming they have bred an imp they will use a micro brush and pallet to physically draw images and then wipe them away with a micro brush, really really fast.

Speculation needs to have a hint of plausibility before it can be fun, otherwise you're not even trying if you say the next XBox will actually be a real deathstar.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2009, 13:49.

News Comments > Elite Retrospective
4. Re: Has been May 23, 2009, 17:36 DG

Strange how some games are beaten to death and then flogged some more while others are left to rot. That IP must be worth a lot of money but it's just crumbling to dust.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2009, 20:09 DG

There's some kind of basic principles that's a common factor and you can keep going back to it for guidance. Braid is good for this, the logic is there but it can feel... warped? like you're reading it through mirrors so you have to start thinking about it again.

This does have some transgression into the real world IMHO. Maybe not the logic itself, but the concept of base principles that you can go back to again and again as guidance for solving seemingly much more complex problems. When in doubt, consider first principle and the answer becomes much clearer.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2009, 10:13 DG

Blue, make sure you have the right kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyrbiU0sB4s

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo