Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1671 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > German Counter-Strike LAN Ban
13. Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 13:56 DG

Politicians everywhere seem to be simple reactionaries who's primary objective is to appear to be "doing something" about whatever the gutter press has chosen to take a stance on.

It's no longer considered important to take a wise, long term, arms-length view based on strong principles and sound governance. Once up on a time most politicians at least intended on being high-minded and willing to do the right thing. Now they seem to merely want to have "an answer", fly up the ranks and cling onto enough power to get lucrative directorships after they're put out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Advance Left 4 Dead 2 Demo for Preorders
11. Re: Advance Left 4 Dead 2 Demo for Preor Jul 6, 2009, 13:23 DG

Isn't it kind of pointless to release an demo for people who have already opted to buy the full product?
That's what I was thinking, with the second question being - why give a demo early to people who have pre-ordered if "word of mouth really is the strongest thing"?

There is an element of incentivising the pre-order, but put the two questions together for another answer: surely the first pre-orders will come from the L4D fans who are most keen on a sequel. So if those guys get the demo first, the first round of word-of-mouth will be from the guys most likely to talk it up.

Sounds cynical, but IMO it's fairly basic marketing - control the message. There's more than a few games that have been forever condemned simply because the opening salvo came from a minority of haters, and it subsequently became fashionable for everyone+dog to rage on it.

Personally, I always feel a little sceptical when they push you towards "buy before you try", but as Verno says it's so common now that it doesn't really tell you anything.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2009, 13:25.

News Comments > No HL2 Ep 3 News: Ha Ha; L4D2 Movies
33. Re: L4D - lack of features more like it Jul 5, 2009, 07:58 DG

I really, really can't see Valve stopping making games, they're far too good at making lots and lots of money from them. To make games like they do requires Valve. But lots of other people could still run Steam well. If anything Steam would be what they sell off.  

News Comments > No HL2 Ep 3 News: Ha Ha; L4D2 Movies
32. Re: L4D - lack of features more like it Jul 5, 2009, 07:53 DG

did valve suddenly forget about all of that physics stuff they did with hl2?
Why can't i move chests and cupboards to seal off doors, hallways windows?
Why can't a choose if i want to carry an explosive instead of a med pack?
Why aren't there more co-operative objectives?
Why aren't there more puzzles as in hl2?
Why can't I explore more? (yeah dynamic maps, now that would be cool)
These are things I generally like to see in games but in L4D their exclusion is why it just works. Everything is kept as simple as possible so it's all down to the raw gameplay. That's why 4 random people can just jump into a game and decent enough teamplay is the norm, rather than the exception.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 3, 2009, 19:13 DG

games > format

Sure, PC is my preferred format but having the choice means the best of both.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 3, 2009, 15:41 DG

I'd like to get two 32gb drives one each for Windows and games (or RAID for both), HDD for everything else.

But they are still much too expensive, plus they seem to do the usual HDD trick of making their newest/fastest drives be the highest capacity, so if you want performance you also have to pay for capacity.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2009, 15:41.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2009, 15:40 DG

Adverts, cool.

So now there's no subscription fee, right?

News Comments > Wolfenstein Minimum Specs
14. Re: Wolfenstein Minimum Specs Jul 2, 2009, 15:35 DG

Media: 100% Microsoft Windows compatible DVD-ROM drive
bit specific for a DVD drive innit?

News Comments > StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy
47. Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 13:28 DG

Do you just need to pass through battle.net to get the players together and the transmission can go through the eithernet from there on?

Or, would everyone at a LAN party be transmitting though the pipe, so even a LAN party requires a good pipe and players sitting beside each other have lag?

If the former, I don't really have a problem with it. Bit of a nuisance but hey if an impromptu lanparty is fine even with basic broadband connection then whatever. But if it's the latter, I think they're making their paying customers suffer too much reduced quality.

Personally whenever I hear of anti-piracy methods reducing quality it just signals to me what their attitude is towards customers and their quality of their product/service.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2009, 12:42 DG

Even now people hold two separate images of him, MJ the King of Pop and MJ the megastar circus freak. I'm sure his legacy will continue in the two separate strands but the circus will fade while the pop maintains it's importance and continues to be enjoyed.

PS. John Lennon, 40.

News Comments > John Carmack Interview
2. Re: John Carmack Interview Jun 26, 2009, 12:24 DG

I suspect this is part of a long term exit strategy. Sure, Carmack's not even 40, and evidently loves coding, but I don't imagine id Software is gaining value much in it's previous state and he seems focused on interesting projects, not big game development.  

News Comments > Sean Cooper on Syndicate Plans
11. Re: Sean Cooper on Syndicate Plans Jun 26, 2009, 12:07 DG

Sounds about right to me. Sure, failure to comprehend the original often doesn't stop EA, but that's because they get it wrong or have other ideas which they think will sell.

Personally I'd be happy if they keep it an iso game maybe even just a refresh of the original as an XBLA/steam budget title, with multiple instalments if it does well. I suppose it could be shoehorned into some kind of FPS-RPG but it would just be Fallout 3 with corporations - to be Syndicate you need to feel like you are controlling, the game itself is of the Executive basically playing a game.

It's one strange thing with the gaming industry - titles don't really compete against each other, not AAA's anyway. I'd go so far as to say that AAA's merely increase the market, publishers are set to make MORE money whenever a "competitor" publishes a Halo or GTA, because people buy consoles or upgrade graphics cards. Yet publishers hold onto historic AAA's that could be making them money and boosting the market.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2009, 12:12.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Halp? Jun 22, 2009, 15:40 DG

Quake got me doing my first self-build and playing online. And reading Blues!  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 21, 2009, 10:42 DG

Here in UK I gather the problem isn't really with people wanting to donate, they push it quite strongly on the driving license form so most people tick the box and get on the register.

But when they are dead their next of kin has to agree and often they simply aren't aware of their wishes.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2009, 11:21 DG

Well I'll definitely play it on 360 if anything.
Since I can rent games for that

News Comments > Weekend Sales
7. Re: Weekend Sales Jun 20, 2009, 11:18 DG

Hmm tempted by Empire:TW, though I got completely turned off the series with Rome. Shogun was a fantastic game, probably not far out of my top 10, but since then increasingly the games have had too much fluffy crap most of which I find an annoyance (though the combat system was much improved with Medieval).  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. Re: Legal Briefs Jun 19, 2009, 16:15 DG

PEGI are European ratings. The changes have come about due to the UK, who were going to switch to using BBFC (the guys who rate films here) but PEGI responded with this new system. So now the UK government is going to basically rubber-stamp PEGI ratings to make them legally enforceable here.

It's a good move. Ratings will be clearer and legally enforceable. It is now completely clear that an 18 certificate game is for adults, and developers will be free to make games appropriate for their intended audience. UK will not also end up in a Germany/Australia situation with delayed, sub-par releases.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2009, 16:16.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2009, 16:02 DG

Actually I'd say he's about on there, bearing in mind he's talking about the general market, not the bleeding edge.

Shit, if you look at the Steam hardware survey (yeah usual caveats, but it's the best available) http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ compare to an Xbox's 3x 3.2ghz Xenon with an R600 (ATI 3000-series); or PS3's 7x 3.2ghz Cell with an NV47 (Geforce 7800-series) there's an awful lot of people playing with machines a lot less powerful than a 3 1/2 year old 360.

Plus a console dev can optimise a lot more and he can always shoot for that target, not like PC where they have to target middle of the road machines. It takes a while before there are many devs even trying to push PC's more than a console.

My setup is a year old and was upper-middle range when new. "System requirements" are still irrelevant to me and everything runs on maxed settings with good FPS. Occasional exceptions aside, PC games are at least two years behind their hardware.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2009, 13:22 DG

Was it DOOM3 or Far Cry where everyone went apeshit over the lack of quick save?

Anyway, taking away quick save would be a stupid move. Few games are difficult, they just have sections which are frustrating. Perhaps because you have to fight the controls/camera to make it do what (ironically) would be trivial "IRL", or they give a boss some cheap unblockable move (Ninja Gaiden I'm looking at you).

Not having a save simply means you have to repeat the easy sections in order to get back to the hard ones, nothing more than a waste of time.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 15, 2009, 18:06 DG

hmm is the push for the next round starting? http://www.cnbc.com/id/31331241

(still thinking it's premature)

1671 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo