Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1683 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 5, 2009, 14:28 DG

£300 get's me a notebook with 1gb, Atom N270 and a 10.2"; while for the same money a laptop has 2gb & T5670 with 15.4" oh and a DVD writer (it weighs 2 lbs more).

When they first appeared they had the right idea, very cheap and very portable with minimal specs that still did basic tasks plenty fast on linux. While for some people that 2lbs still makes a difference, generally netbooks have become nothing more than a poor-value, below low-end laptop.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 3 Mothership Zeta Lands
15. Re: Not available in retail Aug 3, 2009, 16:19 DG

Well FWIW I'm expecting the GOTY edition to be cheaper/same as buying all the DLC separately or the two retail disks  

News Comments > Alan Wake PC Petition
26. Re: Alan Wake PC Petition Aug 3, 2009, 16:02 DG

Only way to stop this shit is for PC gamers to grow a PAIR and NOT buy console games or xshitbox
Or just be "gamers" and buy whatever necessary to feed the habit/get the most out of your hobby without taking tribes.

Personally, most of my favourite games are also either PC-exclusive or the PC version is preferable, but there is some great gaming which can only be had on consoles.

If it makes you feel better about it, buying a 360 probably still loses MS money and one advantage of consoles is rentals and pre-owned, both of which evidently annoy publishers.

News Comments > Half of Americans are Gamers?
1. Re: Half of Americans are Gamers? Aug 1, 2009, 13:13 DG

- "Secondary Gamers" (33.6m), mostly female gamers who play less than four hours a week and don't own a console.
- "Console Gamers" (32.9m), fastest-growing , mostly male, own at least one or two dedicated gaming machines and play around 12 hours per week.
- "Heavy Portable Gamers" (30.0m), shrinking, own at least one portable and are the youngest group, with an average age of 19.
- "Extreme Gamers" (6.1m?) play nearly 40-hours a week.
- "Online PC Gamers" (25.9m), Up slightly, mostly female, who spent 73 percent of their eight hours of weekly game time online.
-"Avid PC Gamers" (17.3m), the most hardcore PC segment, playing 23 hours a week.
-"Offline PC Gamers" (24.1m), spend 82% of their time with singleplayer

Hmm shame there isn't a breakdown of Console vs PC vs browser-based.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re:'£70 pricetag needed on new games'. Jul 30, 2009, 13:49 DG

“Consumers won’t spend more, but to write the game, publishers are having to spend more than ever before. That’s the key problem.”
They aren't having to spend more than ever, they are choosing to.

“In order to price these games at a level where they would support an industry [as strongly as] they did ten years ago, they’d have to be sold at £70. But people just don’t have that kind of money, there’s a psychological glass ceiling.
There's not a "psychological glass ceiling", don't go around wondering why the stubborn, selfish market won't throw more money at you. The market doesn't owe you shit. Games just are not worth £70, and people can't afford it anyway. At best you might have people spending the same money but getting less games.

“The cost of development is ten times what it was for PS2, and more like 20 to 50 times more than on PSOne. Yet there are lots of things you can get for less than the relative value of paying 50p an hour for a very high end game.
Oh boo hoo.
Wait, what? 50p an hour = 140 hours? What games have 140 "very high end" hours?

Not one mention of sales volume in there. Costs can rise with the price remaining the same if you increase VOLUME. He gives not one word of volume in there, but how much bigger is the market now than whenever you care to compare to?

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2009, 13:50.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: All n One's Jul 28, 2009, 13:01 DG

I hate printers, they all break. All except for the leased photocopier/printers, which cost a fortune to lease and charge per print, but funnily enough repairs are free for the one machine that never breaks.  

News Comments > Ubisoft's Anti-Piracy Plans
27. Re: Ubisoft's Anti-Piracy Plans Jul 28, 2009, 12:52 DG

Or they could just use Steamworks and save themselves time and development. But that would be too easy?

That was my thought. They're crying that they're losing money, but they go and spend money coming up with their own DRM?

BRILLIANT!
It makes sense when you picture it as a Dilbert cartoon:
Senior manager: what are we doing about piracy? I deserve to be a billionaire but all these people are stealing it from me.
Manager: We have copy protection.
Senior manager: So does everybody else and it isn't working.
Manager: We have new copy protection that nobody else has.

The most important thing copy protection does is enable managers to say that they are "doing something". Don't you ever read the paper? Occasionally you do get specific criticisms but at least half the time it's simply that "more needs to be done". Nobody knows what "more" is, and apparently effectiveness is unimportant, they just want it to be done.

News Comments > RailWorks DLC
12. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 25, 2009, 07:24 DG

If there were any areas of the USA I actually recognized, then I might get it.
seems to be UK-centric though there's a German and a US (SoCal) route.

News Comments > RailWorks DLC
3. Re: RailWorks DLC Jul 24, 2009, 15:00 DG

Did you watch the trailer? Wow that looks fascinating.

But seriously, I was an audit last year of a train museum, never seen a bunch of fully grown boys (50+) having such a ball, tooting the horn on their Thomas the Tank Engine and showing off the rebuilds in-progress in the workshop. I guess I'd be having just about as much fun if I found a Portal gun though so...

These DLC are probably the best thing evar for someone, and Optimaximal is right about enthusiast niche markets.

Anyway, there's plenty PC gamers who got started from playing their dad's PC that was gaming-class due to flight simulator or whatever. Come to think of it, of the PC gamers I know "IRL" all of them got into it via their own or a friend's dad having MS Flight Sim or Sim City or whatever.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2009, 15:06.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2009, 13:02 DG

FatalTourist, can't you just go back a save?  

News Comments > On Digital Distribution
13. Re: On Digital Distribution Jul 21, 2009, 13:01 DG

Console rentals are what, $10 a pop at Blockbuster? Sometimes 2 for $15?
I rent console games via an online rental service here in the UK (ILoveFilm). For about 1/3 the price of a new game per month I get 2 DVD/games at home (replacing as desired tho you lose 2 days in th epost each time). Keeping a game for two weeks therefore works out around about 1/10th of a new game.

News Comments > Valve on Community Funding
9. Re: Valve on Community Funding Jul 20, 2009, 18:03 DG

When you pre-order I think the money goes into the store's bank account and the dev doesn't see a dime of it until the store orders, receives and then pays for a shipment (probably 30+ days after receiving it).

When you buy stock in a company, unless it's new shares you're buying from another guy and the company never sees a dime of that money (though on large scale it can benefit indirectly i.e. push up share price and hence they get more money if they do issue new shares).

I guess what Valve is suggesting, or at least my take on it, is that basically an indie dev can list games on Steam and Valve can pass on the cash right away. Maybe the price would be 1/4 say 2 years before release, steadily increasing to full price maybe a month before release date. Obviously the starting date, price and speed of increase would depend on how "blue chip" the game appears to be - though this could be changed in real-time depending on demand.

As far as the bottom line is concerned, reduced sales could be matched with reduced interest expense - a $5m loan at 5% APR is $250k in interest per year (and you're compounding that the next year).

They could up the ante some by including actual profit-sharing, but that sounds like it makes Valve a stock exchange and hence subject to an extreme amount of regulation. Can't see it.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jul 20, 2009, 13:19 DG

the KB isn't even a good controller - it's just that it's good enough a lot of the time, and, significantly, it's both familiar and ubiquitous to gamers. It's the mouse that is what puts the PC's controls head and shoulders above joypads etc for certain genres.

To be fair, the KB & mouse combo is excellent, but while someone certainly could design something better to replace the keyboard I highly doubt they could best the mouse - except for the very stick/pad friendly genres (flight sims, fighting, racing, other sports).

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2009, 13:19.

News Comments > C&C4 Info, Screenshots
1. Re: C&C4 Info, Screenshots Jul 20, 2009, 13:03 DG

Looks like APOC has now deleted that entry

Not liking the look of those scans, reminded me of Tiberian Sun

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: 10 dirty little secrets you should k Jul 18, 2009, 07:00 DG

Here's a dirty little secret. You'll hear reasonable salary figures and interesting projects but when you arrive at the job, your employer treats you like shit. They constantly put new work on top of your responsibilities without asking you or investigating the consequences. workers are treated as if they are robots.

I've seen it all. work sucks.
Fixed

Try working in accountancy practice. Every minute is logged and costed to the job, and even thought the charge rate includes profit margin if the fee to "cost" isn't 100% they act like you were caught at your desk sleeping off a hangover.

Say the time budget was 30 hours last year but it actually took they guy 40 (plus say 10 hours unpaid overtime), next year the budget is cut to 25 hours. And in the mean time disclosure requirements have increased plus they've added more file schedules to complete, and now that you mention it last year's file was sloppy.

If the client has screwed up their bookkeeping, make this known ASAP, though if the client isn't going to pay an increased fee due to the extra work required to sort it, actually it makes no difference at all. Oh and then they make you re-do something a different way because they don't like the approach, which you took by following last year's file where they approved it. Failing to see the irony, the next review point complains that you did something differently to last year's file even though you wrote a paragraph detailing and proving how last year was completely wrong.

Then they want you to make an utterly trivial change in complete ignorance of the cascading consequences which means that it's actually a lot of work.

*breathes*

But, there is a trick! When you get home, read Dilbert.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2009, 06:08 DG

I like some elements of "new games journalism", like the emphasis on whether the game is a good/fun experience instead of banging on about "features" which 99% of the time I've seen before and are only ever interesting in how they make the game a good/fun experience. The waffling, when it's done very well, can be an interesting read but it does not make for a good games review.

The only reviews I pay any attention to are the couple of paragraphs in a forum comment - how one gamer describes a game to another.

News Comments > Call of Duty: World at War Patch & Maps
17. Re: Call of Duty: World at War Patch & Maps Jul 18, 2009, 05:42 DG

I'd think that delivery on the PC would be the easiest.
Not if you want to deliver to the right people, i.e. those that paid for it.

If we as console gamers don't raise awareness of how we're being exploited compared to PC gamers, and start to complain about it instead of being complacent sheep, then publishers and developers will keep trying to up the ante and exploit us even worse. Publishers and developers will start to pay attention when they start getting bad PR for such an obvious double standard, and more console players start demanding equal treatment compared to PC gamers.
I'm guessing you have an idea in your mind that this would somehow result in more free content on consoles. Um, no.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jul 18, 2009, 05:32 DG

Yeah I maxed out the old cap about 2/3 of the way through the vanilla game (doing quite a lot of exploring) and the game was extremely easy, especially if you focus on small guns, VATS and critical hit perks.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Lobby Browser
27. Re: Left 4 Dead Lobby Browser Jul 18, 2009, 05:23 DG

While I agree with you, it's simply not realistic, and definitely not what happens in Versus matches.
Yeah OK, I totally forgot about Versus. Though I stand by it as far as campaign and survival is concerned.

News Comments > Call of Duty: World at War Patch & Maps
12. Re: Call of Duty: World at War Patch & Maps Jul 17, 2009, 19:14 DG

correct me if I'm wrong, but it is free for PC users. I'd like to know how game developers such as Treyarch justify this
MS charges them to release it and strongly encourages charging for DLC, presumably thinking that if some people release DLC for free then other games will have a harder time charging for DLC (and thus wont make the DLC at all). I seem to recall a Valve interview saying what a nuisance this is for L4D since MS only gives them like 8mb for free patching.

I also have a 360 and I expect a different deal. Games are expected to ship complete and essentially bug-free, and it's expected that any further content would be paid for. Charging for DLC is only really a nuisance in that it can divide the player base. 'Course, this only applies to a point, but DLC that's free on PC is usually very cheap anyway. Thinking back, all the PC games I've been really into I'd be happy to pay that small amount for some DLC, instead it's nearly always been everybody wishing some new content would be released. The problem on PC is delivery, at least until something like Steam becomes ubiquitous.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2009, 19:19.

1683 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo