Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1670 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 14, 2009, 14:07 DG

My icons were rearranged when I installed these 9.9's over 9.3's.

There is a way to save the icon positions, which I came across just the other day, but damned if I can find it now - IIRC the guy linked to technet. It wasnt a complete fix basically you have to save the positions beforehand and then reload them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tech5 Linux Hopes Raised
4. Re: Tech5 Linux Hopes Raised Sep 14, 2009, 13:56 DG

I get the impression id Linux releases are handled by one guy (Timothee) who does most of the planning and nabs spare resources (people) as they are available - I've no basis for that other than most of the announcements for linux releases seem to be done via his .plan, but that's the impression I've had on a number of occasions.

edit: well I do now, he says so in TFA.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2009, 13:58.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Valve Wants To Sell Mods On 360, Pay Cre Sep 14, 2009, 13:38 DG

There's no reason for MS to release a new console. Sony isn't going to do it and there's no point MS getting a head start when they are already beating Sony for market share month after month (with very rare exceptions).

On the Nintendo front, MS more or less are releasing a new console - performance specs don't matter on that front.

A new Xbox would mostly cannibalise 360 sales.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Sep 12, 2009, 10:23 DG

I think the problem with Wolfenstein was that no one really asked for another one.
It was asked for plenty when RTCW started dying down. Instead we got Wolf - ET which was good fun but turned off a good half of the community, and the other half got turned off by ETQW.

Then with this game they, unfathomably, totally failed to realise that the multiplayer was what mattered. They did plenty media work on the single player (which sounds so completely out of touch with current gaming and far too lame for a good retro) but said nothing about MP, when then got panned when the beta leaked.

Activision dropped the ball almost immediately after they released RTCW and pretty much screwed the franchise with every decision they made after that (bar deciding to release ET for free, though really it was only thanks to some prodigious modding that ET really worked).

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Sep 11, 2009, 13:18 DG

Yeah, I will try Braid for $5.
good game. $15 was maybe asking a bit much given how long it'll last but at $5 I'd recommend it to anyone.

News Comments > More L4D DLC Planned
8. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 13:13 DG

hoping it's a new campaign...

And I agree with Prez at least on the point that some of the custom maps are surprisingly high quality.

TBF though people keep saying things like "what usually happens with Valve games e.g. TF2". IMHO TF2 support is exceptional even for Valve, far above what they've done for anything else (OK, bar CS, but the scale of that game's popularity and the cash it made puts it on another plane). On the other hand there's various Valve quotes that have been quoted on these boards often enough which promised a high level of support for L4D, support of which there was very little sign until the L4D2 furore kicked off.

In the end it's coming out OK though it is a shame they took so long.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 08:30 DG

fwiw Beamer the last patch for Civ4 took out the requirement for the DVD to be in the drive.

Don't make any plans for after you buy the game though, it's a major time sink if you get into it. You can be sitting telling yourself "one more turn" for hours.

IIRC it was on sale on Steam not so long ago? I can buy the physical copy on Amazon.co.uk for £7.45, 1/3 of Steam price. One thing, only Steam reports including Colonisation.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 3, 2009, 12:30 DG

Don't lots of phones do that? My friend got a HTC phone which advertised how it would seamlessly go into 3G or whatever when WiFi connection was lost. He found it kept doing it at the slightest hint of a poor wifi connection, and then would not automatically switch back no matter how much the wifi signal got better.

Digging around a little it was looking like tmobile had actually changed the phone's default setting. After downloading and applying the same firmware version, but from htc, the phone switched back to wifi when it found a signal.

News Comments > Capcom Wreaks Havoc
3. Re: Capcom Wreaks Havoc Sep 2, 2009, 16:43 DG

isn't physx tied to nvidia hardware?  

News Comments > NVIDIA on an Impulse
15. Re: NVIDIA on an Impulse Sep 1, 2009, 20:26 DG

Dev, driver quality from 1996 doesn't bear any resemblance to today. Nvidia didn't even get their first "real" card out until the year after that.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2009, 20:27.

14. Re: NVIDIA on an Impulse Sep 1, 2009, 20:22 DG

4850 user here, never had a problem with the driver, nor did I when I had the 9800Pro (so far I've had 2 ATI cards and 0 driver problems).

I have had plenty problems with Nvidia drivers, from Nvidia disabling DVD playback because I was using a non-Macrovision chip (which even Macrovision complained about) which meant I had to use one driver which was necessary for games I was playing at the time, and another for DVD playback. Then similar scenario of one driver for the Far Cry beta and then another for playing ET.

Not that I'm saying ATI are better than Nvidia. Taking another perspective I could say that every card I had prior to the 9800pro had driver issues, while every card from 9800pro onwards I've not had any (not counting both of them having appalling control centres) and it just so happens that's two good experiences with ATI to one good experience with Nvidia.

1. Re: NVIDIA on an Impulse Sep 1, 2009, 18:11 DG

"For many users, updating video drivers has been a complicated and sometimes confusing experience."
In my experience, that is because nearly as often as you get performance gains, you get performance losses. I find driver releases focus on the latest model, sometimes at the expense of the previous generation.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2009, 10:37 DG

There isn't any actual requirement to give bank holidays, though they tend to be given anyway because the schools are off (and hence the parents want to be also) plus nearly all local government departments close. After that it's a bit sketchy, most retail stays open though stores dependent on work trade are prone to closing. Down South they seem to follow the holidays (and close on Sundays) more strongly than up North. Here in Scotland New Years Day is the only one that's almost completely upheld, with Christmas Day a close second.

It is "nice" that much of the country gets a day off at the same time, the weekend tends to have an extra-relaxed vibe, people arrange BBQs, go off to see family and/or take a weekend break.

On the other hand you have what sir mentions - motorways crawling with caravans on the Friday & Monday, which is even worse in "long weekend" spots like the infamous Lake District.

By law we get 28 days holiday in the UK (pro-rata for part time workers), though it's common to get more - I get 6 weeks.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 10:40.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2009, 14:46 DG

"Revolution"?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
—Antoine De Saint-Exupery

26. Re: How stupid can you be... Aug 29, 2009, 08:41 DG

A few years ago I got a phone call from some random woman who was incoherent but it was definately bitchy, and she was apparently completely incapable of processing anything I said. So I hung up.

Shortly afterwards I got a call from a guy who insisted my phone had been used by a girl to harass his girlfriend. He was very angry and aggressive but I figured the behaviour would be reasonable if he had been talking to whoever was responsible for these calls to his GF, so I decided to tolerate it for a bit and clear up the confusion since apparently there was a real villan somewhere.

Since he was looking for a girl he asked for whomever had made the calls and I told him no girl had used my phone that day.

He seemed to take this at face value (surprisingly), so he asked if it had been lying around where someone else might have used it since the call had definitely come from my number (something he repeatedly insisted on throughout the call). When I told him that wasn't possible it dawned on him that I might be a liar. At no point did it occur to him that I might actually be complicit in the abusive calls, but he did now decide I was covering for a girlfriend to keep her out of trouble, and proceeded to inform me how reprehensible my doing that was.

Now I was concerned that someone had cloned my phone / obtained access to my phone account so I told him I wanted details so I could contact my teleco and requested that he complain about the call to his. I asked for the time of the call, the duration, and, anticipating the "stupid question" the teleco would ask, I asked him to confirm how it was he knew with certainly the call had come from my number.

HIM: oh yeah definately your number
ME: yes but please confirm how you know this because TMobile will need to know
HIM definately your number
ME: yeah but just so I can confirm how you know because TMobile will definatly ask
HIM: that girl gave it to my girlfriend so they could arrange a fight, definitely this number, she repeated it
ME: ... and that was definitely the number on her phone's screen yeah?
HIM: huh?
ME: like right now I can see your number XXX XXX XXX on my phone's screen, it says who is calling me
HIM: oh yeah
ME: ... so the number on the screen was this number that you are calling me on now yeah? 'Cuz if it wasn't then obviously that girl could have just gave out any number couldn't she. Did she have a Scottish accent, like me?
HIM ...
ME: You should also be able to look in the phone's log and it should show it there.
HIM: uh... she had an Essex accent <like him> ...
ME: ...
HIM: oh <tuts> <click>

Imbicile. Didn't even have the grace to apologise.

15. Re: How stupid can you be... Aug 28, 2009, 15:29 DG

jimnms, call/write to his bank.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2009, 14:47 DG

strich it's easy these days. Even a standard Core 2 with a cooler from the retail box will work fine. Stick it in a shuttle or one of the better competitors with some memory and either use integrated video or a low-end video card with passive cooler (lots of which are half-height, do HD video and come with HDMI port). Most onboard audio is "decent" though if you're plugging it into the TV for video then audio will go through the HDMI port anyway.

Going with linux, just take care that the chipset (inc. audi chip) and (especially) any wireless card/dongle has linux drivers. Video drivers shouldn't be a problem with ati or nvidia though the latter generally has better linux drivers.

there's also lots of prebuilt SFF/Nettops; check Asus eePC, MSI Wind, HP and Dell.

I wouldn't be too put off by pre-installed Windows, it often adds negligible amount to the price and you can dual boot.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2009, 13:24 DG

Hey, we aren't all animals!
You're a robot?

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 27, 2009, 14:29 DG

NESTA’s survey claimed that 97 per cent of the its respondents – comprised of industry members and external financiers – had backed the idea of tax breaks for the games sector
no, really?

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2009, 14:30.

News Comments > EVE Online Banking Story
9. Re: EVE Online Banking Story Aug 26, 2009, 14:19 DG

Every time I hear about an EVE scandal, apart from the one involving devs, I think what a great game where stuff like this can happen.

If I could make the time commitment this would be the one MMO I'd actually try out.

1670 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo