Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 13:19 DG

Happy birthday Blue!

In other news, the Steam autumn sale is on, as predicted yesterday. Annoyed to see Civ G&K 10 cheaper than I paid a week ago! On the upside, picked up XCom for 10 off so...

Beware not everything seems to be working right - if I add to basket direct from the sale page I get the new price, if I go to the game's page however it's at the old price. Double-check before you buy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
32. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 18:05 DG

Dades wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:36:
DrSquick wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:31:
I don't get what all the hoopla is about, I only look at the start menu for a couple seconds; I dragged all my important apps to the left side, so I hit the windows key, and click the app I want, then the metro interface goes away. I'm guessing this is about people who want to make fullscreen metro games?

WinRT developed apps are what he was referring to. [...]
what is the importance of these WinRT apps?

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
18. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Nov 15, 2012, 13:25 DG

I got bored of Crysis 1 though made it quite a ways in and it was okay in parts.

I don't think I got through the first level of Crysis 2 before deciding I was bored and not in the mood for the game. Haven't found the mood to have another go. That's not exactly a fair assessment of the game, but sometimes I just start something, immediately think "oh not this crap again, I have better things to be doing".

I do not have any reason to expect things will get a lot better for 3.

News Comments > Valve Confirms New Engine?
23. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 13:08 DG

Yeah I'm not exactly surprised that they've been working on a new engine given Source is nearly 8.5 years old though there was a possibility they could just do a major increment. I would also expect it to launch with HL3, except that I do not think it prudent to go around expecting HL3.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 11, 2012, 09:26 DG

Quite enjoyed it, though my standards for 12-minute web shorts aren't that high. I think the lens flare is a trick to make up for the CGI.

Regarding the main series, yes def watch it in order. I really enjoyed it, though of course there are bits where you need to stick with it and you do need to appreciate they are being really ambitious for the budget.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 15:12 DG

WWZ trailer looked interesting thought the FMV was distractingly bad.

Also bizarre seeing NY-style yellow cabs in Glasgow...

News Comments > StarCraft II Global Play Coming
9. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 06:36 DG

For a SP-only player, is SC2 worth buying? Never played SC, did enjoy some of the C&C games (the original, Red Alert & Generals).  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Details
21. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Details Nov 9, 2012, 13:23 DG

Hmm, not sure there's much point making it bigger than any of those games.

Anyway probably looking at December 2013 for PC version. Might end up getting it for the 360 which has been collecting dust I think since IV...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2012, 13:45 DG

Whats the point in charging for W8 media centre when it still can't play bluray?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2012, 13:27 DG

The "Graveyard" exploit began when users hacked save files to access a Diablo 3-style hardcore mode left within the game's code by developers.

Users playing online with those who have the exploit enabled have unwittingly found their characters wiped forever when they have died.
Am I missing something?

A "Diablo 3 hardcode mode" surely has deleting the character as the entire point? edit: oh I misread, the problem is it also affects anyone joining them in co-op.

(Also I thought a virus had to be spreading itself to infect other systems, wouldn't this be a trojan if it was a hidden payload?)

News Comments > RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming
46. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 15:03 DG

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:06:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:47:
This should really excite all 3 people that have the 20gb game still taking up space on their hard drive.
Does anybody actually uninstall games these days? I've got over 550 games on Steam and I keep them all installed - that includes RAGE. I have 40Mbit broadband and I'd still rather not have to wait the twenty minutes it takes to download most games when I could just keep them installed.
I usually have TF2 + maybe Civ, then whatever game I'm playing at that time, sometimes maybe 1 or 2 more.

When I start an SP game, I finish it. I very rarely replay games and I very rarely feel like jumping into a game to muck around - well maybe a GTA back when it was fun just to drive around and cause mayhem i.e. Vice City.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
9. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 23, 2012, 13:08 DG

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 09:23:
I've built many AMD based systems and many Nvidia based systems, there is generally little or no difference. [...] I always just buy bang for buck, brand loyalty is pointless when product quality differs so greatly between iterations.
+1

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 22, 2012, 13:08 DG

Yeah isn't that a Sarbanes-Oxley thing?

p.s. no probs with email if managed correctly. I do prefer the gmail approach over outlook - default outlook anyway, keeping related emails in a stack.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 12:56 DG

Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:25:
I'd really like to see another Kindle with physical page turn buttons, its much easier to read with one hand that way. I don't mind paying a premium for it either.
They are continuing the regular non-touch Kindle, which just had an upgrade recently.

I got one a bit over a month ago. Admittedly I spent the first day habitually trying to swipe it like my smartphone, but subsequently I personally have not missed a touchscreen.

Also it is a little small in my hands, not quite perfectly comfortable to hold, I'd prefer it a bit thicker. Case should solve that however.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 12:53 DG

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:54:
MisterBenn wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:26:
So after a couple weeks of honeymoon period, what's the assessment of XCOM single player?

Has its problems, but worthy successor...which is saying a lot.
Best to grab it on its first sale? Or are they the kind of problems which aren't likely to be fixed?

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 21, 2012, 09:06 DG

You guys do realise that google news displays the headline and the first sentence or two, so that if you want to read anything you need to go to the newspaper's website? https://www.google.com/news

The ANJ sees Google making money and they see a possibility of taking a cut of it by utilising monopoly power.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2012, 07:17 DG

Crystal Skull is just awful, whether as an Indiana Jones movie or not.  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:42 DG

Hmm well that Total Biscuit video was good, thanks NIN. Covered everything I'd not liked in the demo but loving the game anyway.

In demo it all seemed to be one shot kills and the enemy getting the jump on you every time, which was just ass. The vid makes it look like there's more usually a move or two first - or more if throwing a sensor - plus able to dodge or absorb a shot or two.

Might pick this up in a sale, when a bit of patching has been done too. On other hand might be looking for a game, and Firaxis seem to take a while before putting their games in Steam sales - or is that just the Civ series?

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
29. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 08:38 DG

So lots of folks talking positively about this game. From the demo, I just didn't see it, got bored even before completing the first mission where you can actually choose where to put people. The voiceovers, terrible FMV etc do not help either. Is the demo a reasonable reflection of the game?  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2012, 05:17 DG

Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:33:

Oh my physician friend says much the same thing. He swears mufti-vitamins are a scam and all people are doing is literally pissing away money. Then you have the other side with their supporting evidence. Enh, what are you going to do? That's why I usually only take a multi once, maybe twice a week. I do daily for for garlic (great for the blood) and Omega 3/6/9 as I don't eat fish and high tri-glycerides run in our family. Then I'll do some things depending on what's going on with my health vitamin D, biotine, niacin, SSKI (potassium idodide). Vitamin D and SSKI really do help out with our northern winters in fighting off strep, bronchitis, etc. and clearing the mucas. I'd never do it daily, but I'll probably get into doing it like my multi, a few drops every couple of days.
My take on this is vitamins are not expensive, they do not have to be doing very much before they are good value.

Also it seems whenever the doctors are talking about vitamins they first say "you should get all your vitamins from a healthy, balanced diet. Then you just pee away the vitamin pill." Yeeessss.... But I'm not getting a healthy balanced diet am I. I do make an effort, but I doubt I get 5 portions of fruit & veg regularly (especially in winter) and I don't have that much variety.

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo