Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1680 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > US MW2 and EU L4D2 Restricted in Germany
4. Re: US MW2 and EU L4D2 Restricted in Germany Dec 1, 2009, 13:19 DG

soooo...

The EU L4D2 is gorier or whatever than the US or DE versions
The US MW2 is gorier or whatever than the EU or DE versions

... Or they have a special DE version which is OK and they simply haven't got around to checking some of the others variants yet.

AFAIK the only censored L4D2 was Australia though a German one wouldn't surprise me as they do it all the time.

/guessing "EU" version means "most of EU except for speshul places like Germany"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2009, 10:23 DG

test - comments seems borked on Saturday's OotB  

News Comments > Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys
73. Re: Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys Nov 22, 2009, 11:22 DG

It's called price discrimination.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: apple Nov 22, 2009, 11:07 DG

Dust is mostly dead skin cells, things eating the dead skin cells... and their shit. Some dust is from animals. That's SO gross.

I don't see why anyone should have to repair a computer that has dust on it. Dust makes me sick.

Of course people shouldn't have to earn their wage by doing things that do not like.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2009, 12:52 DG

Well, there's the "self" you show the world to fit into polite society and keep a job, family, and social life. Then there's the "self" that you are when no one else is around and no one to pass judgment on you. In an environment like the internet, where everyone is a faceless avatar who can pop in and out like the wind, is it surprising that most people jump at the chance to be the person they aren't allowed to be the rest of the time?
I think the vast majority of the shit online isn't even "the 'self' that you are when no one else is around and no one to pass judgment on you". It's acting out. Or being an asshole for the experience of being an asshole. Or balancing out the excess restraint they're under in the "real world". Or doing it because others are doing it - social norms, or hey they don't want to be the one getting picked on.

Its telling that people often refer to non-internet related activities as the "real world". Many people see the internet as the place where they can be not who they really are, but who they're not.

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Re: Bing Nov 19, 2009, 14:53 DG

I'm not surprised MS holds a high share of the search market even though people even call it "googling" now.

I'm on secondment at the moment, their PC's are strictly locked-down so you're left with IE and that means Bing in the search box.

Load up Excel help. It used to load a help file from you PC but now what it does is offer you a box that searches the offline help file, online help and certain MS sites. I'm guessing they don't use Google for that.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2009, 14:48 DG

it needs to be changed by the people in the community itself. For this to work though, especially in FPS games where it's more prevalent, you need the ability to admin the social space (i.e. game server). If you can't (i.e. no dedicated servers), you're screwed.
+1

Communities are best self-regulated. Their community, they set their own rules. But there's no equivalent of a "local community" nor any method of enforcement without dedicated servers or at least guilds/clans.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 DLC Tease?
11. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 DLC Tease? Nov 19, 2009, 14:38 DG

Or possible Left 4 Dead DLC tease, which would make more sense considering they have only just released L4D 2.
I'm not expecting it, but it's probably quite plausable they could ship a DLC that works on both.

News Comments > Dedicated Server Guide
4. Re: Dedicated Server Guide Nov 19, 2009, 14:35 DG

2.1. PEER-TO-PEER

well it didn't take them long to get onto P2P.

Looks like a good article, probably worthwhile reading for a newbie thinking of setting up a server.

Couple of additions though:

5.2.4. DON’T STORE CONFIGURATION FILES OUTSIDE OF THE INSTALL DIRECTORY
- Actually I'd argue the default should put the cfg in a game dir but they should allow for the config to be specified as elsewhere (supporting variables).

5.3.2. EXTERNAL SERVER QUERY PROTOCOL
- Players should always be able to query the server to determine non-sensitive (i.e. non-password) variables, particularly sv_cheats...

5.3.3. REMOTE ADMINISTRATION TOOL
- provide for at least 2 types of admin account - one being restricted to "referee" commands (as a rule of thumb they should be able to force anything that can be voted on).

Really the game should ship with a decent default config and come with a decent explanation of general commands and variables.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2009, 14:36.

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
11. Re: New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Nov 17, 2009, 17:30 DG

IIRC Sapphire back in the 9800 Pro days was a quality manufacturer who made the bulk of the PCB's for ATI. Dunno about these days though.

Just don't buy Powercolor, my card is supposed to be factory overclocked but I actually have to underclock (vs stock) the memory. I noticed the fuckers since revised the card with the proper memory.

News Comments > Pandemic Closure Confirmed
13. Re: Pandemic Closure Confirmed Nov 17, 2009, 17:20 DG

Yea publishers need to run efficiently and effectively but along with that comes the question why is the studio inefficient and ineffective?  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2009, 13:18 DG

This guy sums up what is wrong with the industry:
Gamers have waged their own zealot war against a changing marketplace, irresponsibly made unreasonable decisions about their entitlements and bent the rules as they see fit to get what they think they’ve got coming.
Seriously? Get a clue. This guy believes that the suppliers tell the customers what they will have and the customers should take it and be thankful. That's the reverse of how the free market operates: developers and publishers exist to serve the wants of their market and only if they do it well do they get a profit in return.

"Gamers have waged their own zealot war" is outright admission that the market is demanding one thing and the industry is offering another. You're not supposed to make money doing that.

I firmly believe that if you want to keep getting games like Dragon Age, like Fallout 3, like Uncharted 2, like The Beatles: Rock Band then gamers are going to need to get on board with or at least stop openly revolting against things like Day-1 DLC.
WTH? They're all massive selling titles that either make a ton of profits or lots of people need to be fired for being outrageously incompetent (admittedly, a distinct possibility). Maybe what he means is we have to start buying the DLC to fund all the shit games that lose money because nobody wants them.

The industry is so fucking stupid they can't even stick to the basic math of a by-the-numbers approach to churn out a generic blockbuster title, they just have to throw some incomprehensibly idiotic shit in there like taking away dedicated servers. Time and time again with gaming the question arises: "WTF WERE THEY THINKING?"

OK so he bangs on about DLC a bit. I quite like DLC. He doesn't seem to grasp why the market dislikes Day-1 DLC, even though most people are plenty clear about it at the time. Just to recap: nobody likes day-1 DLC because it always seems like they just took something out of the game in order that they can charge you twice for it.

People generally do like, want and are willing to pay for DLC - when it's additional content.

If you want an industry that can take chances. If you want an industry that can be agile and adaptable to niche demands. If you want publishers that are willing to explore new IPs and put resources behind projects like Dragon Age, then you, my stubborn and well-intentioned comrades, need to turn UP the righteous fury until the industry finally starts listening to what they have to do to earn your hard earned money from you.
Fixed. Oh I kid. There's already plenty of righteous fury and they're still not listening.

News Comments > L4D2 Demo and Steam Patch
3. Re: L4D2 Demo and Steam Patch Nov 11, 2009, 13:06 DG

Straight away the demo felt wrong for me.

In L4D movement and aim was sharp & sure, In L4D2 demo it feels sloppy - I thought perhaps combination of bad ping and extremely low FPS but I did a singleplayer, put net graph on and FPS is steady 60.

L4D weapons had a really good solid feel and controlled fire was accurate. Here bullets piss out all over the place and it feels like they do hardly any damage.

New sounds are irritating particularly the machete.

I don't have the same issues Tumbler mentions.

News Comments > EA Announces Record Gains, 1500 Job Cuts
25. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 10, 2009, 13:46 DG

Yeah that's basically it Bronco.

Think of it as a bit like buying a MMORPG that comes with a 12 month subscription - say the game by itself is usually $30, a 12 month subs usually $30, the customer starts that free period on 1 November, and the accounting date is 31 December. Say the customer paid them $40.

The game and the subs are each valued equally, i.e. 50% = $20.
Add 2/12ths of the subscription = $3
Therefore recognise $23 this year and the other $17 is deferred until next year.

Now, in EA's case they do not know anything. They don't know what the split is between the game and subscription value, they don't even know how long that subscription lasts for. So you guesstimate - say you think the game lasts for about a year and assume everyone got started in the month they bought the product. Again assumeing a 31 December year end, you'd record 12/12th's of sales in January, 11/12th's of February's, and so on.

BTW, yes this does result in those deferred sales being a liability. That is because the cash is already recorded as an asset.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 10, 2009, 12:53 DG

I guess you could overwhelm either system by putting too many zombies on screen, or too much on screen in general...
This. Some of the custom maps are much busier and none are nearly as well optimised as the official maps.

Nobody has the all of the creative talent, technical skills, technical resources, time available and QA that would be applied to an official release. Or for that matter the inclination to do the most boring things like plan.

News Comments > New Torchlight Demo
9. Re: New Torchlight Demo Nov 6, 2009, 15:26 DG

I'm playing the demo version. Anyone know if I purchase the full version, can I continue playing my character and story from the demo, or do I have to start over?
It continues where you were. The demo is actually the whole game with the rest locked up.

But... Bear in mind it seems to save when you go through portals.

At the end of the demo (the original one anyway) there was option to go down stairs or through a town portal. Clicking on the stairs it took me out of the game and when I loaded I was right back when I last travelled through a portal. This isn't really a biggie but I did lose a particularly nice piece of loot.

I should caveat that I guess it's possible this actually happened due to an issue fixed in the recent patch.

News Comments > Torchlight Patch
11. Re: Torchlight Patch Nov 6, 2009, 12:10 DG

Ehm... Overwrite saved games?? Are you kidding? I've got two characters at like level 23 in the dungeon. Am I gonna have to walk all the fucking way back there, starting from level one??
Initially I misread the post that way too, but what it means is this patch fixes some instances where a savegame could be overwritten - the patch itself does not.

OTOH the notes do say:

BACK UP YOUR SAVE GAMES! Your uninstaller may ask you if you want to delete your save games. Make sure that it is UN CHECKED!
If you want to be extra safe, you can manually back up your saves - I'd recommend this. Better safe than sorry!
Start->run

%appdata% and press return

Then browse to Runic Games\Torchlight\Save - and back up all the files there.
I suggest anyone who has this via Steam does so now since Steam will just auto-apply the patch when they have it. [nb will need to show hidden files to see AppData and Vista (+W7?) users will then go thru the Roaming folder]

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 12:13.

News Comments > No RAGE Dedicated Server?
58. Re: No RAGE Dedicated Server? Nov 6, 2009, 08:11 DG

One of the problems with our PC SKUs on this title in the past is it is not been as friendly a consumer experience with matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be.

what part of MM requires local hosting?

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Collectors' Edition
34. Re: Mass Effect 2 Collectors' Edition Nov 5, 2009, 18:40 DG

they going with the Windows Live thing again on PC? Think I'll rent this on 360 if so  

News Comments > Torchlight at Retail In January
4. Re: Torchlight at Retail In January Nov 5, 2009, 18:35 DG

Yeah I don't generally play these kinds of games so I stuck it on normal and am just walking through, barely even using health potions.

I'm enjoying the game anyway, if I have any grumblings it'd be the volume of loot - particularly the amount of obsolete stuff (at least you can send the pet away to sell it though). Secondly the pace of obsolescence, so far there doesn't seem to be much value in enchanting as weapons and armour are lasting about 1 quest before they're sold.

As if to emphasise my newbishness, a few Q's:
- do skills stack? I.e. Dual Weld level 1 is +6% while L2 is +12%, does that mean once I've hit L2 I now have a 6+12=18% bonus or is the 12% the total?
- does dual-weld apply to a sword + pistol or do they have to be same type of weapon?
- does the "damage per second" include the modifiers like electric, poison etc damage?

1680 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo