Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1675 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2009, 12:42 DG

try a bungee cord  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Announced
5. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 15:26 DG

Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

General Discussion > First post!
2. Re: First post! Dec 11, 2009, 20:15 DG

News Comments > 3D Blu-ray Next Year
12. Re: 3D Blu-ray Next Year Dec 9, 2009, 18:43 DG

Are people all THAT eager to see shit in 3D?
Nope. They're that eager to sell shit in 3D. Maybe they think it'll be difficult to DivX, or whatever.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 18:43.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: private servers Dec 9, 2009, 13:56 DG

Being a bit fussy here but odd they didn't distinguish between private servers like for FPS games and those used for pirated MMORPGs etc.  

News Comments > America's Army Game Cost $32 Million
9. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 12:10 DG

$32m is still $32m tax dollars. But (as pointed out) the question is value for money - the effectiveness of those $'s at achieving valid objectives.

TBH it's bad form to disclose a refusal of a FOI request without also disclosing what they were refusing. It makes the statement serve no purpose other than to provoke speculation (i.e. encourage misinformation). Maybe they were refusing to disclose how much they paid off a senator, or maybe they were quite validly refusing to disclose the game engine licensing fee because it would harm their hand in negotiating with other firms.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 12:15.

News Comments > EA on "Pirates As A Marketplace"
62. Re: EA on Dec 9, 2009, 10:10 DG

Millions\Billions a year is not enough for them
um, "Millions\Billions" doesn't mean anything without context. "Millions\Billions" made by one person is not the same as "Millions\Billions" divided amongst "Millions\Billions" of shareholders (most of which are institutional - your insurance and pension fund).

What is relevant is the earnings in relation to capital invested and risk. If you put $100 into government bonds and make $100 profit, and I get 100,000 people together and we put $10m on a horse and make $10k between us then you say I'm more greedy.

despite what some people may claim, have very little in the way fixed overhead costs
What? They have hardly any variable costs. Firstly they're all fixed in nature (or at least semifixed, like salaries) and secondly once a game ships they're sunk costs - no cost can be variable if it cannot be stopped due to already having been spent.

For what it's worth I'd agree that often corporations are "greedy" in the sense that they focus on short term profits at the expense of a stronger long term view (which tends to benefit both companies and customers, in the long term).

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 10:30.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 14:08 DG

The only reason big actors (voice, screen, presenters, whatever) get big money is their name draws in the crowds and that individual is critical to success.

Voice actors for games don't get paid very well because there are lots of them who are amply capable. People who can't get better paid work get to pay the rent. Unions pretend they are protecting the little guy but really what they do is protect their middle guy by shafting the little guy and the customer - raise minimum fees and what happens is those cheap guys now cost the same as the middle guys.

If game companies aren't offering enough money, don't do the work.

edit: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1043186/

"Despite his extensive credits, Wittenberg earns roughly $30,000 a year from his video game work and, like most of his peers, supplements that income by doing voice work for animated TV shows."
- uh, according to IMDB he did 11 bit parts ("Guard", "Male Pedestrian #1" etc) of "VG" in 2008, mostly games I haven't even heard of. I can't be arsed counting, but it looks to me like he did more TV than VG.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 14:23.

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Re: myspace Dec 7, 2009, 06:46 DG

Interesting case study of how big corporations just can't do entrepreneurship. 'Course entrepreneurs often are very bad at doing proper strategy but at least they tend to have a long-term focus on their customers - big corporates tend to have a short-term view of revenues.

FT was never exactly "hip" but they seem to have got absurdly out of touch...

The curmudgeonly media baron [...] had re-invented himself as a 21st-century internet hipster
Um, no. Everyone with half a feel of internet culture knew the writing was on the wall for myspace as soon as they heard he had taken over.

There were encouraging signs recently that the site continues to strike a chord with young users. The premiere of New Moon, the sequel to ­Twilight, was streamed live on MySpace and attracted close to three ­million viewers – far more than watched a Shakira music video that ­premiered on Facebook around the same time.
New Moon: this is the film that no two females could occupy one room without discussing how desperately they were looking forward to it. And this is my experience of women 25-50ish, never mind the film's target market.
Shakira: that's that chick with the great ass who did that song several years ago, right?

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
7. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 6, 2009, 07:38 DG

Creston
+1

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears
14. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 5, 2009, 09:26 DG

I would welcome the introduction of a major player into online game distribution.

When MS gets truly enthusiastic and committed they generally pull it off. However imperfectly, they get the job done through sheer scale of resources and weight.

But Windows Live appears to be a triviality to MS, otherwise it would be impossible to miss the vast amounts of marketing they throw at everything that they are committed to.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Patched
3. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Patched Dec 5, 2009, 08:58 DG

When can we vote out AFK lobby leaders?
And have an option for the lobby to join private servers i.e. specify a specific server which only requires one player to have the password, and then that server is effectively public for the remainder of that round.

News Comments > On Left 4 Dead 2 Sales & DLC
16. Re: On Left 4 Dead 2 Sales & DLC<br> Dec 1, 2009, 18:02 DG

> pointless moan ahead...

today I spent more than half an hour with servers apparently crashing on or just after connect. Just now I check and there's a patch out - same thing's happened a couple of times before. Bit annoying when this happens on Steam, servers get ahead or behind you and you don't have the option of catching up until the client gets around to it.

Yeah #whine I know, but when you have about 1 1/2 hours spare time losing half an hour to silly things like that is annoying, especially when it means there isn't enough time left for a campaign. Most games give some kind of indication of what the issue is so you can either sort it or go do something else.

8. Re: Very interesting, but funny? Not so much Dec 1, 2009, 13:36 DG

Can Attack Dogs Be Rehabilitated - interesting, there's been another child killed by a (illegal) dog over here and this morning the BBC had some expert on who was complaining about the dogs automatically being destroyed because he felt there was a missed opportunity to learn something.

But good luck with that, "the people" always demand "something must be done" whenever they are ashamed of not having made sure "something" got "done" before the bad stuff happened.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2009, 13:42.

News Comments > On Left 4 Dead 2 Sales & DLC
7. Re: On Left 4 Dead 2 Sales & DLC<br> Dec 1, 2009, 13:31 DG

Yeah I crumbled at the good timing of the 25% off. Not played all campaigns yet but so far better than the demo. I'd agree with the upped difficulty, normal is more like advanced in L4D1, even allowing for less knowledge of levels.

Though not as bad as the demo, movement and aim feels a bit... Sloppy, bit like bad fps & ping lag but they report fine (though get drops on Hard Rain?). Going to try stripped down graphics see if it gets better.

So far overall I still think L4D is the better game (just seems... more carefully thought out or something) but yeah had some good games and bringing out the chainsaw when there's a horde rushing down a tight corridor was just as fun as it sounds.

News Comments > US MW2 and EU L4D2 Restricted in Germany
4. Re: US MW2 and EU L4D2 Restricted in Germany Dec 1, 2009, 13:19 DG

soooo...

The EU L4D2 is gorier or whatever than the US or DE versions
The US MW2 is gorier or whatever than the EU or DE versions

... Or they have a special DE version which is OK and they simply haven't got around to checking some of the others variants yet.

AFAIK the only censored L4D2 was Australia though a German one wouldn't surprise me as they do it all the time.

/guessing "EU" version means "most of EU except for speshul places like Germany"

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2009, 10:23 DG

test - comments seems borked on Saturday's OotB  

News Comments > Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys
73. Re: Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys Nov 22, 2009, 11:22 DG

It's called price discrimination.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: apple Nov 22, 2009, 11:07 DG

Dust is mostly dead skin cells, things eating the dead skin cells... and their shit. Some dust is from animals. That's SO gross.

I don't see why anyone should have to repair a computer that has dust on it. Dust makes me sick.

Of course people shouldn't have to earn their wage by doing things that do not like.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2009, 12:52 DG

Well, there's the "self" you show the world to fit into polite society and keep a job, family, and social life. Then there's the "self" that you are when no one else is around and no one to pass judgment on you. In an environment like the internet, where everyone is a faceless avatar who can pop in and out like the wind, is it surprising that most people jump at the chance to be the person they aren't allowed to be the rest of the time?
I think the vast majority of the shit online isn't even "the 'self' that you are when no one else is around and no one to pass judgment on you". It's acting out. Or being an asshole for the experience of being an asshole. Or balancing out the excess restraint they're under in the "real world". Or doing it because others are doing it - social norms, or hey they don't want to be the one getting picked on.

Its telling that people often refer to non-internet related activities as the "real world". Many people see the internet as the place where they can be not who they really are, but who they're not.

1675 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo