Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: manuals Dec 23, 2009, 14:11 DG

The Civ series demands an honourable mention for having proper manuals. Sure, it wasn't entertaining like the TF2 announcements but they were well written, accurate and complete, with a good amount of tips yet somehow not spoiling it. I remember buying Civ IV and actually enjoying reading the manual on the train home.

(NB: they tend to include proper manuals on release and then just include a .pdf on the cheap versions, fair enough).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailer
2. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Dec 22, 2009, 17:05 DG

I wonder how well AI teammates cope with you going all stealthy...  

News Comments > TF2 Bots Beta
14. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 13:19 DG

I don't get how people enjoy the idea of bots in an online game. It creates such a fake/empty experience it defeats the purpose of online play. I suppose running your own local server and inserting bots is alright, but as soon as they enter the online realm I'm out. This is what made UT so fake and generic to me.
Bots are very useful for a bit of training and an introduction to MP - I only started playing MP after eventually getting bored of ReaperBots.

Online, bots can fill up the servers. This is of course often not a good thing, enabling bots isn't a decision any server admin would take lightly. But, for example, on the big 32-player fast-respawn servers I often find if a server gets restarted it doesn't repopulate until the next day - people join, ask why the server is so empty then leave after 5 mins because they want a busy server. Even if bots just extend the wait to 10 mins the server is much more likely to repopulate with real people.

Similarily quite a few people seem to be in the habit of quitting a server when it becomes apparent their team is going to lose. This then spirals because by quitting, the team is even more likely to lose and people more likely to quit. Bots can stem the tide somewhat. IMHO bots should also have a small amount of rubber banding, slightly upping their skillz if their team is getting owned (i.e. encouraging the possibility of breaking out of a spawn rape, an event that results in a lot of quitting).

Bots may also allow being less strict with the team-balancing. Many servers will move a player to the other team (much to the annoyance of that player) if one team is just 2 players less for just a few minutes. With bots filling in the difference is less significant so you can relax the swap to say 3 player difference for a longer period of time.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 13:22.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2009, 17:22 DG

I went present shopping. It was like L4D but sadly no chainsaw to cut through the hordes.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2009, 10:01 DG

The issue with micro-transactions are where the item could/would/should have been included in the game in the first place. Like buying a new car where tyres and a stereo are optional extras, or perhaps it is such ridiculously trivial to produce the whole idea of paying separately is absurd, like paying $2 for a basic car aerial on a $40,000 car.

Or where the items unbalance a multiplayer game, thus lessening the value of the main game purchase. Like, um, er, 1000w headlights that blind other drivers unless they buy a windscreen filter. Or something.

Personally I like my games to be a complete experience. Any additional content needs to be sufficiently substantial as to be an experience in itself and separate to the game - like expansions and sizeable DLA (e.g. GTA IV). This nickel-and-dimeing is just a pain in the ass and sours the whole thing for me.

It's not at all like 3D glasses. Like you said they're tangible assets with inherent value which you are free to realise by selling or whatever.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2009, 10:04.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 19, 2009, 14:20 DG

PHJF try DownloadHelper extension, though may be excessive to requirements
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

edit: latest FF running fine in Vista 64 here

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2009, 14:22.

News Comments > Steam Torchlight Patched
14. Re: Steam Torchlight Patched Dec 19, 2009, 06:59 DG

xXBatmanXx I did similar, grabbed two swords, and two pistols for weapon set 2 - gives some range to a melee char, very handy and no penalty since even the secondary-slot weapons don't take up an inventory slot (if you don't do this, it's still a useful trick if your pack gets full of loot).

I almost never use spells, but give heal-all to your pet. Can't quite decide what else to give pet: he sets off his spells whenever any enemy on screen so very wasteful. Silence has faster charge so I figure more likely to do something useful with that.

Only 2 skill-spells I found worth using was the slash attack thing (kind of overpowered actually, clears a horde and does more damage yet takes minimal mana, really this is my primary attack) and later on the frost shield which reduces damage taken by about a third. The stampede is OK for starting a fight or getting out of trouble. All my other skill points have gone into the always-enabled stuff.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 19, 2009, 06:41 DG

TBF he does eventually get around to stating
So while it is probably unfair to measure the security-worthiness of Firefox in this manner, it would be inaccurate to exclude them completely.

But then goes off with
While I never did compare Firefox with other browsers, I have personally found that the processor utilization of Mozilla Firefox does at times spike up to 100 percent for unknown reasons.
Um, what is the point in reporting this without doing any of
- comparing
- knowing the reason
- determining if it's a common problem?
Maybe it's not firefox, but flash for example. Or his PC.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2009, 06:42.

News Comments > Steam Torchlight Patched
3. Re: Steam Torchlight Patched Dec 18, 2009, 19:39 DG

Hmm enjoyed this for a good amount of time (more than money's worth) but tired of the repetitiveness  

News Comments > On Game Credits
3. Re: On Game Credits Dec 17, 2009, 17:25 DG

I didn't get any pay rise this year.

Bastards still decided to increase my chargeout rate 5% (meaning I have to be 5% quicker to meet time budgets, despite them having added more work to do for quality reasons).

I was about OK with the no-rise thing but then increasing my chargeout anyway has really annoyed me.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 17:26.

News Comments > On Game Credits
1. Re: On Game Credits Dec 17, 2009, 13:23 DG

welcome to employment?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2009, 12:42 DG

try a bungee cord  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Announced
5. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 15:26 DG

Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

General Discussion > First post!
2. Re: First post! Dec 11, 2009, 20:15 DG

News Comments > 3D Blu-ray Next Year
12. Re: 3D Blu-ray Next Year Dec 9, 2009, 18:43 DG

Are people all THAT eager to see shit in 3D?
Nope. They're that eager to sell shit in 3D. Maybe they think it'll be difficult to DivX, or whatever.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 18:43.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: private servers Dec 9, 2009, 13:56 DG

Being a bit fussy here but odd they didn't distinguish between private servers like for FPS games and those used for pirated MMORPGs etc.  

News Comments > America's Army Game Cost $32 Million
9. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 12:10 DG

$32m is still $32m tax dollars. But (as pointed out) the question is value for money - the effectiveness of those $'s at achieving valid objectives.

TBH it's bad form to disclose a refusal of a FOI request without also disclosing what they were refusing. It makes the statement serve no purpose other than to provoke speculation (i.e. encourage misinformation). Maybe they were refusing to disclose how much they paid off a senator, or maybe they were quite validly refusing to disclose the game engine licensing fee because it would harm their hand in negotiating with other firms.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 12:15.

News Comments > EA on "Pirates As A Marketplace"
62. Re: EA on Dec 9, 2009, 10:10 DG

Millions\Billions a year is not enough for them
um, "Millions\Billions" doesn't mean anything without context. "Millions\Billions" made by one person is not the same as "Millions\Billions" divided amongst "Millions\Billions" of shareholders (most of which are institutional - your insurance and pension fund).

What is relevant is the earnings in relation to capital invested and risk. If you put $100 into government bonds and make $100 profit, and I get 100,000 people together and we put $10m on a horse and make $10k between us then you say I'm more greedy.

despite what some people may claim, have very little in the way fixed overhead costs
What? They have hardly any variable costs. Firstly they're all fixed in nature (or at least semifixed, like salaries) and secondly once a game ships they're sunk costs - no cost can be variable if it cannot be stopped due to already having been spent.

For what it's worth I'd agree that often corporations are "greedy" in the sense that they focus on short term profits at the expense of a stronger long term view (which tends to benefit both companies and customers, in the long term).

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 10:30.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 14:08 DG

The only reason big actors (voice, screen, presenters, whatever) get big money is their name draws in the crowds and that individual is critical to success.

Voice actors for games don't get paid very well because there are lots of them who are amply capable. People who can't get better paid work get to pay the rent. Unions pretend they are protecting the little guy but really what they do is protect their middle guy by shafting the little guy and the customer - raise minimum fees and what happens is those cheap guys now cost the same as the middle guys.

If game companies aren't offering enough money, don't do the work.

edit: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1043186/

"Despite his extensive credits, Wittenberg earns roughly $30,000 a year from his video game work and, like most of his peers, supplements that income by doing voice work for animated TV shows."
- uh, according to IMDB he did 11 bit parts ("Guard", "Male Pedestrian #1" etc) of "VG" in 2008, mostly games I haven't even heard of. I can't be arsed counting, but it looks to me like he did more TV than VG.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 14:23.

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Re: myspace Dec 7, 2009, 06:46 DG

Interesting case study of how big corporations just can't do entrepreneurship. 'Course entrepreneurs often are very bad at doing proper strategy but at least they tend to have a long-term focus on their customers - big corporates tend to have a short-term view of revenues.

FT was never exactly "hip" but they seem to have got absurdly out of touch...

The curmudgeonly media baron [...] had re-invented himself as a 21st-century internet hipster
Um, no. Everyone with half a feel of internet culture knew the writing was on the wall for myspace as soon as they heard he had taken over.

There were encouraging signs recently that the site continues to strike a chord with young users. The premiere of New Moon, the sequel to ­Twilight, was streamed live on MySpace and attracted close to three ­million viewers – far more than watched a Shakira music video that ­premiered on Facebook around the same time.
New Moon: this is the film that no two females could occupy one room without discussing how desperately they were looking forward to it. And this is my experience of women 25-50ish, never mind the film's target market.
Shakira: that's that chick with the great ass who did that song several years ago, right?

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo