Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1667 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak?
20. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 06:04 DG

Could be great

On the other hand they could throw too much at it, overcomplicate and obfuscate the simple brilliance of the original.

I'm not sure there's much that could be improved on IMHO, though I don't mean to sound pessimistic - there's so much room to do worse and yet still have a superb game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2010, 14:06 DG

yeah but while this is par for the course for Lab & Cons, it's surprisingly bad for the Lib Dems (who are normally quite appealing for their civil rights etc stuff, but have poor economic policies and are too implausible to vote for).

Boingboing links their source at the end as being a libdem activist site, they're not pleased!

News Comments > Metaverse
6. Re: BBC Proposes Deep Cuts in Web Site Mar 3, 2010, 15:42 DG

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 13:07:
Heh BBC is probably one of the least opinionated news agencys left on the planet.
Agreed

(not wholly unbiased, but better than everything else we have over here)

FWIW must of the criticism comes from competitors. Competitors whom set up after the BBC so were well aware they had licence-fee competition. Most of the criticism comes from media owned by Rupert Murdoch (google Murdoch BBC).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Glitch hits PlayStation Network users worldwide. Mar 1, 2010, 14:17 DG

John, DO NOT check your PS3! The point is do not turn on the older models at all.

Kokatu have a good article being kept updated
http://kotaku.com/5482328/ps3s-suffering-from-global-network-lockdown

News Comments > Civilization V Cinematic
4. Re: Civilization V Cinematic Feb 27, 2010, 08:03 DG

D4rkKnight wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 00:36:
The micromanagement of workers in civ games are so tedious and boring.

IMO it's quite manageable considering how important it is to your success.

I tend to micromanage young cities but once it gets going you can have stacks of workers with queues. Once your Civ is big, use the map less and the panels more e.g. press the arrows to jump between city screens, use the military screen/hotkeys to find idle workers etc.

News Comments > More on Ubisoft DRM
15. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 16:22 DG

If a company goes bankrupt they're not making any patches, only thing they will do is pay creditors. It would be wrongful trading to spend money on patches because it would mean creditors would get even less than they are owed. Anyway, IIRC all the employees are automatically dismissed.

They could at least pretend that they make the patches as they go along.

50kps is a surprisingly high amount, significantly more than you're likely to get using a 56k modem. So if you move home, there's no playing your Ubisoft games until broadband is activated.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
56. Re: Awesome Feb 20, 2010, 09:08 DG

Apaches seem to fly in 6's while Wiki shows spearmen formations range from 16 to 1500.

According to Wiki only about 1/3 of the helicopters lost in Iraq have been due to hostile fire - even when the enemy has flak and anti-air missiles two thirds of losses are from crashes (sometimes together).

Similar "ridiculous" losses happen with tanks v spearmen, but then we're losing quite a few tanks to civilians armed with petrol bombs...

News Comments > On Ubisoft's Online DRM
66. Re: On Ubisoft's Online DRM Feb 18, 2010, 16:09 DG

no way I'll buy a Ubi game with this. Before I even consider how offended I would be by this on principle, this just lowers the overall quality of the product so far I can't imagine any game being good enough to warrant my hard earned cash.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
24. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 15:58 DG

excellent

(IMHO Civ I and IV were by far the best in the series, certainly not III. If you're into this kind of game and have been missing out grab IV with Beyond the Sword - don't bother with vanilla go straight to BtS, the expansions just add to the game there's no lost content if you skip vanilla.)

News Comments > Left 4 Dead DLC Revealed
10. Re: Left 4 Dead DLC Revealed Feb 12, 2010, 15:40 DG

Dunno, it a lot of ways L4D2 is the better game but I still prefer the original. Better characters, better atmosphere.. game feels like it was made by a fresh team with a vision while L4D2 often seems by committee - ticks more boxes but never quite inspires.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Toy Story 3 - Movie Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 15:27 DG

jimnms wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 11:30:
Is there any way to download the file without having to infect my new system with Quicktime? [...] the apple site requires the Quicktime player to even download them.
Can you click on the down arrow beside "watch now" then right-click on the download options?

direct link to trailer 3 1080p Might need to fiddle around if they have a referrer block

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 15:28.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 12, 2010, 15:03 DG

No Android's not "taking over". But the market is consolidating. Achieving scale and standardisation are two of the most important things for certain technologies, particularly general operating systems. It was always going to come down to 2 or 3 dominant systems.  

News Comments > Worms 2: Armageddon Coming to Steam
15. Re: Worms 2: Armageddon Coming to Steam Feb 10, 2010, 13:22 DG

Optimaximal wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 03:03:
Question - why does a 10 year old game need a beta test?

Or will it feature proper Steam integration?
I'd guess to check it works ok with Steam, with new hardware and OS. I also assume there's perhaps a change with MP.

On another note, the new ['quote] system doesn't play perfectly with the old q'[ ]'q when the quotes' first letter is a Q...

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 13:26.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2010, 16:25 DG

I had a dog that rolled in a dead seal, for quite a while. Evidently the dead seal had been there a while too.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 3, 2010, 16:11 DG

I use OO at home and it's more than adequate for that, but it's not even close to Excel for work. Some of the weaknesses are more significant though TBFH it's silly little things like being unable to format multiple cell selections that irk me most often - tedious presentation stuff takes a lot longer and become even more tedious.  

News Comments > DRM Discussion
30. Re: DRM Discussion Feb 3, 2010, 16:04 DG

Verno wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 13:12:
Steam is a case of the good outweighing the bad more than anything else. Steam's DRM largely doesn't work, much like other DRM products being offered today. The service itself is what fuels it's success and even then you'll find plenty of people who bitch about what they lose with Steam. (I am not one of them, just sayin)

+1. I don't mind "Steam DRM" in that I get back something I value more (putting aside for a moment the more heavily DRM'ed games e.g. activation limits).

shponglefan wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 12:14:
I wonder if people actually avoid buying games because of DRM, or if it's just another excuse in the pirate rationale playbook. I know I don't buy games with install limits, but not DRM in general.
Me. And, as you state, YOU. Unless you want to limit your argument to anyone who doesn't buy any game with any DRM whatsoever, which seems rather irrelevant.

DRM annoys me as a consumer. It decreases the value in the product. DRM doesn't appear particularly relevant to a pirate.

For a little context, I haven't pirated a game since 2002, and I guess less than half a dozen in total (I can only recall 5, including those subsequently bought).

News Comments > BioShock 2 Launch Trailer
3. Re: BioShock 2 Launch Trailer Feb 3, 2010, 15:33 DG

2.15: Taaaaaaank!  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 30, 2010, 19:40 DG

He'll be a relativist then. There are other positions, or perspectives, which are equally valid.

Anyone who sets out to create art, and at the completion of that mission decides what they've created is art, then it sure as frick is.
And if anyone experiencing it decides that it isn't, then it isn't.

Being the creator provides no more entitlement to an opinion on defining what something is, only upon what it was intended to be.

News Comments > Valve on Steam Growth
27. Re: Valve on Steam Growth Jan 30, 2010, 14:28 DG

Dev wrote on Jan 30, 2010, 11:58:
DG:
No way is steam going to sell things for "nothing at all" in terms of a cut, especially not a big game like MW2. Keep in mind they have to pay for bandwidth and payment processing and handling some support issues and some patching logistics, etc.
OK, so not really "nothing at all", but yes, not getting any fee is quite plausable IMHO. I'd go so far as to suggest that it is more likely that any cut would barely cover cost, rather than anything approaching the usual margins.

Making a cut on the type of sales that MW2 rakes in would be very tasty, but more important than that is simply having MW2 "on the shelves". A friend works at a large department store, she says they make almost nothing on iPod sales and the whole thing turns into a loss once you factor in the store having a renown returns policy vs Apple having a notorious returns policy (i.e. the store doesn't even bother trying with iPods anymore). But they have to stock iPods because it's an important product for their customers, they take the hit and consider it a marketing/branding cost.

So yeah, Valve may well consider running at a loss (maybe not a big one) just for that.

But, IIRC MW2 *requires* Steam. That's really valuable to Valve, a game "important" enough that people who might otherwise shy away from Steam are going to be installing and using steam. Getting used to it and maybe buying more games. Probably a significant portion of that 25% is thanks to MW2. That's a big deal, definitely worth having it as a loss leader, even a significant loss.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2010, 19:01 DG

IIRC Hudson is a terrier. If she wanted to kill it it'd have been dead in one shake, no doubt at all about that. One of my retrievers grabbed a rabbit (with mitsi) and took it out in one shift jerk, and even more surprising at the time was how utterly certain it was in doing so. The dog had never killed anything before and swings it's toys about all over the place but this time it was a seasoned pro. Seriously, if I'd been out on a shoot or something with hired dogs I would have remarked how efficient and well trained the dog was. My oafish, utterly lovable pet.

Poodles are bred to look like toys. Hudson treated it as a toy but new full well that it was live and treated it with much more care. There is no remedy other than for people to stop breeding dogs as if they were toys.

1667 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo