Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Idle Server Shutdowns
25. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Idle Server Shutdowns Mar 12, 2010, 18:06 DG

They don't say they have 150k concurrent players, they say they have capacity for 150k concurrent players. It's just the number * size of servers. Not that they say it clearly, not sure how cynical you'd have to be to suggest they did that deliberately, though they are clearly intending to suggest that the game is very popular.

That doesn't tell us anything really, since there could be a large number of players in long queues or there may be a lot of idle servers. Considering this is worldwide I'd anticipate at least 1/3 (maybe more like 1/2 - 2/3) being idle simply due to it being 5am local time somewhere. Then presumably there's private clan servers, servers nobody wants to use...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Enhancing Your Dual Boot System. Mar 12, 2010, 17:53 DG

Will do, ty  

News Comments > On Infinity Ward Royalties
23. Re: On Infinity Ward Royalties Mar 12, 2010, 16:08 DG

Pannad wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 14:19:
I don't know if it's the same in the US, but in the UK the financial year ends 31 March, and that's when bonuses are paid.
Usually - it's the most common year-end in UK, but a company can choose whatever it pleases. It can also choose to pay bonuses whenever they like, though yeah often most bonuses are linked to company performance so is usually either around a month after the year-end (to give time to do the sums) or shortly before 5th April (so it catches the end of the personal tax year: bonuses at the beginning tends to result in employees overpaying tax in the first half of the year due to the PAYE system using averages).

A quick Googling suggests Activision's previous year-end was 31 December 2009.

As for whether the employees should quit, it depends. Firstly whether they are contracted or not - "royalties" suggests the employees have a contractual right which is unavoidable regardless of what they do. Quit and still get the bonus. However most likely IMO the source is technically inaccurate and it's not a true 'royalty'.

Bonuses may be part of the employment contract, in which case they may be owed the bonus regardless. BUT it's common to have a clause saying you only get your bonus if you're with the company when it becomes due. Since Acti year end is 31/12/09, the 2009 bonus conditions presumably have been met and therefore the obligation crystallises and Acti have to pay it. BUUUUT... They probably sold a ton of games in 2010 so quitting now forgoes that bonus.

If there's nothing in the contract at all about bonuses, it's just something that is regularly done, you'd be forgiven for assuming Activision doesn't have to pay it. But actually if it happens regularly it can become a constructive obligation - employer has to pay it because the employee had very good reason to expect it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Enhancing Your Dual Boot System. Mar 12, 2010, 15:08 DG

Very interesting article, since I recently dual booted a old system a flatmate is using (had been on w7 beta).

One thing I cant find tho is how to set the boot menu so that Ubuntu is the default. I found loads of guides but they all seem to refer to an older Ubuntu since they talk about editing settings in files that don't exist on my 9.10 fresh install.

News Comments > Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's "Best Game"
24. Re: Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's Mar 12, 2010, 15:02 DG

Half Life Forever!

News Comments > Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's "Best Game"
23. Re: Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's Mar 12, 2010, 15:01 DG

Slippery Jim wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 13:27:
Did I read that they used students to make the sequel?
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=108222

Valve Hires DigiPen Team

[Mar 09, 2010, 7:55 pm ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
Valve has hired the student development team from DigiPen behind Tag: The Power of Paint, described as: "a first-person platformer created by seven RTIS and BFA students at DigiPen, was chosen from ten IGF Student Showcase Finalists as winner of the Best Student Game Award." This is noted on Shacknews where they make the case that this team will contribute to Portal 2 based on how Tag allows "the player to manipulate the physical attributes of the game's environment using different colors of paint," which sounds quite similar to word from a Game Informer Portal 2 preview that says the game will feature "special paint that gives unique physical properties to surfaces." It would be appropriate to hire a student team from DigiPen for Portal 2, considering how the original Portal was a DigiPen student project known as Narbacular Drop before Valve hired the team behind that.

4. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Idle Server Shutdowns Mar 12, 2010, 14:39 DG

The explanation seems to suggest (tho I'm on my 5th reading and still unsure) that they can't handle the number of players refreshing their list of the number of servers, so they're removing the idle ones out of the equation.

Strange if so, working around that should be simple as setting some filters on what gets returned by their master. I don't for 1 second believe that UK is the busiest location for the game so if they're only turning off one GSP's servers that suggests there are no location filtering on the master.

Oh so familiar from when I made the mistake of buying BF2142. By FAR the buggiest crap I've ever tried to play, funnily enough there were masses of servers problems too (like what I'm seeing when following the threads off TFA).

1. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Idle Server Shutdowns Mar 12, 2010, 14:24 DG

...what?  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 11, 2010, 04:51 DG

They recently put Norton on at work. What a pain in the arse. Apparently Symantec have realised the biggest issue with data loss is PEBKAC and the more it can hinder me the better it is doing it's job.

Every time I look at Task Manager it's burning CPU time and more memory than any other process. Naturally work gives me a 2gb machine even though I typically am using at least 3 different (RAM-hogging) productivity software at once, and need to quickly swap between them. It also seems to slow any HDD reads dramatically and half of those productivity software are essentially databases.

It's centrally forced to scan once a week, during which the machine is almost unworkable. Just enough to appear that it works while actually taking me an infuriating 10x (at least) to do anything at all. Been out at a clients all week and come back to the office at 4.45pm on Friday with 15mins of whatever to do? Maybe I'll be out at 6. The laptops, with much lower specs than my PC, don't have Norton and they do everything far, far faster. It even seems to know when a client has randomly turned up or phoned and I need to run a report.

It's anti-productivity software.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 10, 2010, 08:39 DG

I block specific ad services (mostly thru hosts), generics like *banner* and specifically on some sites with irritating adverts.

Three reasons:
1. I don't trust any ad services, and history shows I'm right not to.
2. I don't have any faith in websites by default and history shows I'm right not to.
3. Using someone else's PC, browsing the web is largely an unpleasant experience. The volume of ads can be ridiculous and even the best of sites run extremely annoying adverts. I really cannot stand intellitxt. Unfortunately it hampers the few sites who keep it reasonable because this causes say doubleclick to get blocked.

Blocking actually makes a lot of pages slower to load (they try and fail to load the ads before anything else) but it's worth it.

Most of the ads I see have the ads being ran from the host. Sure, they're mostly running software from doubleclick or whoever and that'll be communicating with doubleclick or whoever. But I have some assurance that it's being managed by someone at that site: individual sites I can have a little trust in. Furthermore I have to block that's site's ads specifically, so my only motivation for doing so is when that individual site's ads are annoying.

There is no points in Ars complaining about me blocking their ads because I didn't block ads while at Ars, I blanket-banned doubleclick for offences elsewhere. I have no reason (or motivation) to whitelist doubleclick on Ars because I have no idea how much control they have over doubleclick on their site - they trip my block for http://ad.doubleclick.net.

Remember back in the 90s when google "saved the internet" because they did these text ads that nobody bothered blocking because they were inoffensive (and sometimes even relevant)?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2010, 18:24 DG

Cutter: IIRC FFH is on BtS disk, they paid a bunch of the best modders so folks who don't check for these things online can play them. These guys have the best attitude towards modding that I've ever seen (purposely built game out of python for moddability, several times took an unofficial patch and released it).

Yeah get BtS. Not convinced there's a lot of fresh content on there, but the main game is just... Better. Espionage kicks in earlier (though AI still spams it a bit much) and random events somehow throws something good into the mix even though they rarely make that much difference. Most of the support is for BtS also. I don't think there's any point waiting either since BtS only improves on the original. Dont bother with Warlords since other than the scenarios there's nothing you don't get with BtS.

I tend to turn off corporations tbh as they're a bit annoying. Effect is somewhat unpredictable (unless I suppose you're one of those guys who alt+tab's out to Excel...) and I find usually negative. The jeweller and sid sushi were the only two I found reliably beneficial - other's better to setup HQ in a good finance city and then cripple your competitors' economy by setting up in their cities and avoiding your own. Might have tweaked it for the better since I last played, I darent run that game these days!

News Comments > Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak?
20. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 06:04 DG

Could be great

On the other hand they could throw too much at it, overcomplicate and obfuscate the simple brilliance of the original.

I'm not sure there's much that could be improved on IMHO, though I don't mean to sound pessimistic - there's so much room to do worse and yet still have a superb game.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2010, 14:06 DG

yeah but while this is par for the course for Lab & Cons, it's surprisingly bad for the Lib Dems (who are normally quite appealing for their civil rights etc stuff, but have poor economic policies and are too implausible to vote for).

Boingboing links their source at the end as being a libdem activist site, they're not pleased!

News Comments > Metaverse
6. Re: BBC Proposes Deep Cuts in Web Site Mar 3, 2010, 15:42 DG

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 13:07:
Heh BBC is probably one of the least opinionated news agencys left on the planet.
Agreed

(not wholly unbiased, but better than everything else we have over here)

FWIW must of the criticism comes from competitors. Competitors whom set up after the BBC so were well aware they had licence-fee competition. Most of the criticism comes from media owned by Rupert Murdoch (google Murdoch BBC).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Glitch hits PlayStation Network users worldwide. Mar 1, 2010, 14:17 DG

John, DO NOT check your PS3! The point is do not turn on the older models at all.

Kokatu have a good article being kept updated
http://kotaku.com/5482328/ps3s-suffering-from-global-network-lockdown

News Comments > Civilization V Cinematic
4. Re: Civilization V Cinematic Feb 27, 2010, 08:03 DG

D4rkKnight wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 00:36:
The micromanagement of workers in civ games are so tedious and boring.

IMO it's quite manageable considering how important it is to your success.

I tend to micromanage young cities but once it gets going you can have stacks of workers with queues. Once your Civ is big, use the map less and the panels more e.g. press the arrows to jump between city screens, use the military screen/hotkeys to find idle workers etc.

News Comments > More on Ubisoft DRM
15. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 16:22 DG

If a company goes bankrupt they're not making any patches, only thing they will do is pay creditors. It would be wrongful trading to spend money on patches because it would mean creditors would get even less than they are owed. Anyway, IIRC all the employees are automatically dismissed.

They could at least pretend that they make the patches as they go along.

50kps is a surprisingly high amount, significantly more than you're likely to get using a 56k modem. So if you move home, there's no playing your Ubisoft games until broadband is activated.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
56. Re: Awesome Feb 20, 2010, 09:08 DG

Apaches seem to fly in 6's while Wiki shows spearmen formations range from 16 to 1500.

According to Wiki only about 1/3 of the helicopters lost in Iraq have been due to hostile fire - even when the enemy has flak and anti-air missiles two thirds of losses are from crashes (sometimes together).

Similar "ridiculous" losses happen with tanks v spearmen, but then we're losing quite a few tanks to civilians armed with petrol bombs...

News Comments > On Ubisoft's Online DRM
66. Re: On Ubisoft's Online DRM Feb 18, 2010, 16:09 DG

no way I'll buy a Ubi game with this. Before I even consider how offended I would be by this on principle, this just lowers the overall quality of the product so far I can't imagine any game being good enough to warrant my hard earned cash.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
24. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 15:58 DG

excellent

(IMHO Civ I and IV were by far the best in the series, certainly not III. If you're into this kind of game and have been missing out grab IV with Beyond the Sword - don't bother with vanilla go straight to BtS, the expansions just add to the game there's no lost content if you skip vanilla.)

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo